HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD #9, Part 6

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2008, 07:46 AM
shawnmullin

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
Trail selects someone I've had my eye on for a while but wasn't sure on when to pull the trigger. I feel now is the time for a hugely underrated LW. He was tough, a shadow, a PKer, strong in the corners, tenacious in front of the net and a goal scorer when finally turned loose later in his career.

LW Dave Balon

Old
04-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Rick Middleton

Send a message via AIM to Rick Middleton

Has Bobby Ore been taken yet?

04-29-2008, 07:58 AM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab Habbieton View Post
Has Bobby Ore been taken yet?
Yeah, but Gordie How is still on the board.

Old
04-29-2008, 08:26 AM
papershoes

the St. Catharines TeePees are pleased to select:

Frank Fredrickson (C)

Quote:
A dynamic offensive center, Frank Fredrickson followed up a brilliant amateur career with an impressive tenure as a professional. Along the way, the Winnipeg native won an Olympic gold medal and a Stanley Cup and played his way into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

The talented youngster debuted in senior hockey in 1913-14 with the Winnipeg Falcons and quickly carved out a reputation as one of the top amateur players in Canada.

One of the first tasks Fredrickson undertook was to reorganize the Falcons in time for the 1919-20 schedule. The team picked up where it left off and won the league title before representing western Canada in the Allan Cup finals, where the Winnipeg outfit vanquished the University of Toronto to become amateur champions of the country. And this status earned them the honour of representing their country when ice hockey was admitted as a demonstration event at the 1920 Antwerp Summer Olympics. The Canadians won gold after manhandling Czechoslovakia and Sweden and turning back the United States 2-0. During the 12-1 rout of the Swedes, Fredrickson was virtually unstoppable, registering seven goals.

The crafty forward debuted as a professional with the Victoria Cougars of the PCHA in 1920-21. The league's wide-open style suited Fredrickson's offensive gifts and he continued to score at will. In 1922-23, he led the league with 39 goals and set a new record with 55 points. When the Cougars joined the WCHL two years later, Fredrickson led the club to the league title and a Stanley Cup triumph over the Montreal Canadiens. Overall he was placed on the PCHA First All-Star Team four straight years from 1921 to 1924 and he made the WCHL First All-Star squad in 1926.

One of the greatest amateur stars in Canadian history and an excellent pro, Fredrickson was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1958.

Old
04-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Rick Middleton

Send a message via AIM to Rick Middleton
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
Yeah, but Gordie How is still on the board.
Woohoo! We're going to so own you guys.

Old
04-29-2008, 08:33 AM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
#9 - RW Shane Doan

Memorial Cup Tournament All-Star Team (1995)
Stafford Smythe Memorial Trophy (Memorial Cup Tournament MVP) (1995)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (2004)
World Cup Champion (2004)
Eight Consecutive 20+ goal seasons

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=10558

Quote:
With an increase in ice time in 1999-00 and a noticeable increase in confidence, Doan followed his 51 point season with 26 goals and 63 points in 2000-01 ... In the spring of 2003, Doan helped Canada capture gold at the World Championship, before entering his ninth season with the Phoenix/Winnipeg franchise in 2003-04 ... Doan was named to Team Canada's entry for the 2004 World Cup of Hockey and went on to score the tournament winning goal against Finland in the final. On the international stage, Doan represented Team Canada at the 2004 World Cup of Hockey, 2005 World Championship, and 2006 Winter Olympics.
http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/athletes/...hane_doan.html

Quote:
Doan combines physical play, offensive abililty and solid defensive skills
http://www.forecaster.ca/cbc/hockey/player.cgi?1013

Quote:
Has great size and loves to throw it around. Is an excellent two-way player and is extremely durable. Can be considered the ultimate team player.
#20 - LW Dave Balon

Stanley Cup Champion (1965, 1966)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1965, 1967, 1968, 1971)

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/tor...f-f6a6cf29b457

Quote:
He was born a fighter, a tough, bow-legged Prairie boy with an awkward skating style and a lion heart who left the family farm to find his way as an NHL hockey player. But the tough Prairie kid always stayed humble, and he always came home to Saskatchewan ... "Dave was real tough," (Marshall) Johnston said Wednesday ... He arrived in Montreal with a checker's reputation but exploded for 24 goals and 80 penalty minutes. The tough guy with the soft hands became a favourite of legendary Canadiens coach Toe Blake.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=11910

Quote:
Dave Balon began to feel the symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis while still a high-scoring star in the NHL ... He won Cups with the Habs in 1965 and 1966 and led the league in playoff assists with the Minnesota North Stars in 1967 ... (With the Rangers) Balon was assigned to check opposing stars such as Gordie Howe and Bobby Hull, and his savvy play garnered him one of the best plus-minus ratings in the league.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...t.html?ref=rss

Quote:
"Davey was one of the most versatile players I ever coached," said [CENSORED], the longtime Rangers coach and general manager. "He was one of the best defensive forwards in the league, great in the corners and excellent on the power play." ... Balon could play centre but spent most of his time on the left wing, and settled into a two-way role with the Canadiens, scoring more than 40 points on two occasions ... He was one of the Top 10 NHL goal scorers in the 1970-71 season, finishing with a career-high 36. He potted four goals that season in a February game against Minnesota, and scored three goals on as many shots in a December win over the expansion Buffalo Sabres.

Old
04-29-2008, 08:50 AM
MXD

Since many guys from the Cincy Stingers are taken...well, we grab the one we both wanted on our team from the beginning :

RW Harry Hyland

Last edited by MXD: 04-29-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old
04-29-2008, 08:57 AM
MXD

How come there were absolutely nobody to take my list at 11:30 PM?!?!!?!

Old
04-29-2008, 09:08 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
The Wanderer's time is up. Anyway, I won't steal them anyone as I select coach Roger Neilson

Old
04-29-2008, 10:46 AM
God Bless Canada

The Ottawa RCAF Flyers are pleased to select an HHOFer who was an excellent two-way forward:

RW Blair Russell

Old
04-29-2008, 11:26 AM
God Bless Canada

Balon and Frederickson were two of the best players available at that point. Fredrickson's an excellent centre, good enough, IMO, to play on a second line. Much like Duke Keats, a skilled player from those great western leagues who doesn't get the credit he deserves.

I had Balon at LW in the last two MLDs. Was ready to bring him to the main draft this time. He can do it all for you. Top 10 in goals three times. Great skater and an all-round force. At this time yesterday, I was envisioning a fourth line of Balon-Skov-Doan. Thanks for nothing, mullin.

Balon was one of those guys who really benefitted from expansion, and he probably would have had several more productive seasons if it weren't for multiple sclerosis.

Old
04-29-2008, 11:34 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Balon and Frederickson were two of the best players available at that point. Fredrickson's an excellent centre, good enough, IMO, to play on a second line. Much like Duke Keats, a skilled player from those great western leagues who doesn't get the credit he deserves.

I had Balon at LW in the last two MLDs. Was ready to bring him to the main draft this time. He can do it all for you. Top 10 in goals three times. Great skater and an all-round force. At this time yesterday, I was envisioning a fourth line of Balon-Skov-Doan. Thanks for nothing, mullin.

Balon was one of those guys who really benefitted from expansion, and he probably would have had several more productive seasons if it weren't for multiple sclerosis.
Hummm...
If I might add.
Dave Balon passed away 29th May 2007 in Prince Albert following his terrible bout against MS. I don't think the news were spread at that time, but it roughly coincided with the time you picked him in MLD 7.

EDIT : It was in fact a month earlier.

Last edited by MXD: 04-29-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old
04-29-2008, 11:35 AM
seventieslord

I had planned on taking Balon last round. I had planned on it for a while. Then, when it came down to it, I didn't see him as being tough enough, at least not in the pugilistic way. I figured that when you have Linseman and McKenzie, you need someone who can answer the bell with regularity, so I took Maloney. But I'd have taken Balon next round as a spare, if I could have. The last MLD really opened my eyes to him.

Old
04-29-2008, 11:40 AM
MXD

BTW....for the Minor Leaguers, how many of your guys were picked?

The Stingers are at 6 right now. That number MIGHT go up a bit, with one of our guys we would strongly consider as a perfect 13th forward.

Old
04-29-2008, 11:51 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
The Ottawa RCAF Flyers are pleased to select an HHOFer who was an excellent two-way forward:

RW Blair Russell
Man... Had we thought about him, we probably wouldn't have picked Hyland just before. Not that Russell was the better player, but he was a very interesting backup option. Our shortlist for 3rd line spot was pretty much ONLY Harry Hyland once Real Cloutier was picked.

Old
04-29-2008, 12:01 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin View Post
Trail selects someone I've had my eye on for a while but wasn't sure on when to pull the trigger. I feel now is the time for a hugely underrated LW. He was tough, a shadow, a PKer, strong in the corners, tenacious in front of the net and a goal scorer when finally turned loose later in his career.

LW Dave Balon
You picked him at the right time. He was going to be our choice at pick 622 to play on the 4th line on the opposite wing with Ezinicki.

Old
04-29-2008, 12:02 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
You picked him at the right time. He was going to be our choice at pick 622 to play on the 4th line on the opposite wing with Ezinicki.
Actually, he was going to be my choice at 621 to play on my fourth line.

Old
04-29-2008, 12:04 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
BTW....for the Minor Leaguers, how many of your guys were picked?

The Stingers are at 6 right now. That number MIGHT go up a bit, with one of our guys we would strongly consider as a perfect 13th forward.
We've had five picked so far - four players (Balon, Balfour, Owen and Buchberger) and our head coach (Cherry). I expect to see a couple others selected.

There's one from our team that we got in the last MLD who I think rates among the best players remaining for his role, but I don't think he'll be picked. (And no, it's not our assistant coach).

Nice to see all of the love for Balon. I actually had him on my hit list as far back as ATD 7, but went with another guy instead. When Murph and I picked in MLD 7, he'd been my BPA for a while, but I knew he'd slip. Not a guy you heard a lot about.

I actually thought he'd be available in Round 21 for our fourth line LW. He's good enough defensively to play a third line LW role.

As I before, he's one of those "what if" guys. Sort of like a Craig Simpson, Barry Beck, Brad Maxwell or especially Mickey Redmond. Balon would likely be a top 500 pick if not for the MS.

Old
04-29-2008, 12:04 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Actually, he was going to be my choice at 621 to play on my fourth line.
Not unless you wanted me to come beat up you up.

Old
04-29-2008, 12:46 PM
God Bless Canada

In today's headlines...

Flyers nab HHOFer for fourth line
By Dickie Dunn

The Ottawa RCAF Flyers added a legendary two-way forward to their fourth line Tuesday morning in early selecting in the All-Time Draft.
Right winger Blair Russell will join Glen Skov on the club's fourth line. Russell, a star in the early 1900s, was known for his excellent two-way game, but also for playing, by the standards of the day, a clean game.
"Obviously, the standards of a clean game were different then than they are now," said co-GM God Bless Canada. "Different game back then, definitely a dirtier game back then."
Russell posted 110 goals in 67 career games, and once had a seven-goal game against the Montreal Shamrocks. He was named to an all-star team of early greats in the 1900s.
GBC said raleh was a big proponent of Russell's, and once Shane "Captain Canada" Doan was picked, they zeroed in on Russell. He was actually on the short-list for both GMs as a third line checking winger.
Russell retired as an amateur in 1909, rather than turn pro.
"He's very serious about keeping that amateur status, so we saved a few bucks with this pick, too," said GBC.

Old
04-29-2008, 01:21 PM
seventieslord

From my last MLD team, Kovalev, Acton, and Larouche are taken. I still see a couple others being grabbed in the next few rounds too.

Old
04-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Spitfire11

My MLD team has 0

Old
04-29-2008, 02:34 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
From my last MLD team, Kovalev, Acton, and Larouche are taken. I still see a couple others being grabbed in the next few rounds too.
You must have had a pretty damn good minor league team.

Old
04-29-2008, 02:40 PM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Dale Cooper View Post
The Ottawa Silver 7 select defensive forward Charlie Burns
Great to see Charlie Burns finally selected in the main draft. was hoping to get him myself in a late round. Also was a key player on the 58 world champ whitby Dunlops. Always wore a helmet because he had a metal plate in his head.

Old
04-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 968
The Donair Phizay select D Gary Nylund, in our perfect world his knee will be just fine.

Closed Thread