HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

which center does CBJ target in the offseason?

Old
04-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Macster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
While I'd expect A little more production from Marleau then Feds-as-a-Jacket-numbers, I too doubt he'd settle in as the number one guy.
I don't really care for Marleau as a Jacket either. I want a guy who is young and we can build around. A guy we can give a long term contract to.

Marleau is definitely skilled, but we need a guy who can be a running mate for Nasher for a long time, who's production will match Nasher's in both numbers and length. Marleau is on the down-side of a so-so career, as far as top number one centres go.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:10 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
I don't really care for Marleau as a Jacket either. I want a guy who is young and we can build around. A guy we can give a long term contract to.

Marleau is definitely skilled, but we need a guy who can be a running mate for Nasher for a long time, who's production will match Nasher's in both numbers and length. Marleau is on the down-side of a so-so career, as far as top number one centres go.
He fills a need for two years. If we manage to keep Brassard around, he should be ready to step up at that point. If not, someone we've drafted between now and then might be ready.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
He fills a need for two years. If we manage to keep Brassard around, he should be ready to step up at that point. If not, someone we've drafted between now and then might be ready.
You're right, and I understand that, but my point is that I'd like to have a guy who will be with the team to grow along with Brass and Nash, as opposed to a band-aid solution.

I can't think of a better option than Jeff Carter.

Old
04-28-2008, 10:00 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
You're right, and I understand that, but my point is that I'd like to have a guy who will be with the team to grow along with Brass and Nash, as opposed to a band-aid solution.

I can't think of a better option than Jeff Carter.
Sounds like Howson might do both since he's looking for two centers.

Old
04-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Macster

Quote:
Sounds like Howson might do both since he's looking for two centers.
Here's hoping.

Although I'm prepared to start the season with a new guy and Brass as the top two centres, providing Brass isn't handed the job.

Old
04-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:

Agreed, I agee with Matt as well. Lets get a guy on the up swing not the down. I understand it's harder said than done to pick a guy yet to peak but we don't need anymore Fedorov's or Foote's...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 11:51 PM
FlaggerX

I'd love a center on the upswing too, but the simple fact is they're valuable to everyone, and we may not be able to get one at a reasonable price. An older soldier, if the contract isn't too long might be just what we need. Really we need two, because it's not reasonable to count on Brassard for next year, however talented.

Of course if he continues to play like he's in the playoffs well me might get pleasantly surprised.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaggerX View Post
I'd love a center on the upswing too, but the simple fact is they're valuable to everyone, and we may not be able to get one at a reasonable price. An older soldier, if the contract isn't too long might be just what we need. Really we need two, because it's not reasonable to count on Brassard for next year, however talented.

Of course if he continues to play like he's in the playoffs well me might get pleasantly surprised.
I want Evgeni Malkin and Vinny Lecavalier. That would definitely solve the team's top 6 center issues.

Ok, next?

(Agreeing with your point here, FX.)

Old
04-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I want Evgeni Malkin and Vinny Lecavalier. That would definitely solve the team's top 6 center issues.

Ok, next?

(Agreeing with your point here, FX.)
Now if Howson swings that I think we will all be beating a path to his door to thank him.

Just for the record I wouldn't worry too much if I were the patch of grass occupying that path line to his door.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 09:08 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

I've been doing some thinking about this in the last few days. I really think we need a guy that isn't so much a 2nd banana to Nash, but as guy that can be a running mate or even step up to be "The Guy"

This organization has spent so much time building Nash as "The Franchise" since he was drafted, it time to start looking for guys that are not only expected to carry the mail by the fanbase and coaching, but a guy that holds himself to the standard of being a leader and a consistent point producer.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Aging Goalie

Agreed. A truely great happening would be for us to land someone who would out produce Nash and force him to work even harder to be "The Guy". Competition from within is sometimes the best motivation for competition against the opposition.

Old
04-29-2008, 10:51 AM
LaCosta Nostra

Do we have promising prospects at center in the pipeline besides Brassard? Say... someone that could be #2 line capable in about 3 years? Just curious how this all might play out with us looking for a #1, penciling Brassard at #2 (50/50?) and projecting we keep that #1 center for 2-3 years. At that point, how do we look. If we could land someone like Marleau who is young, we could potentially re-sign him in 3 years and if Brassard really develops, have 2 #1 capable centers, so we'd be looking good. Or if we can't keep our acquired #1 for longer than 3 years, bump Brassard to #1, do we have a prospect that could fill his void.

This really could go any number of ways, but curious if anyone can predict the future. If so, how much more am I paying for my season tickets in 3 years?

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Based on what I've read, I think there will be alot of suprised/dissapointed fans come Fall with the center situation.

I don't see any top tier centers coming to Columbus this year. The question is do we HAVE to have that upgrade in order to make the playoffs? I say no. A good center or two in addition to what we have now(Manny, Brassard, Peca(?), Brule) will suffice if we made substantial improves in other critical areas.....namely defense. You go get the right top tier Defenseman and you'll reap the rewards offensively too(especiall in respect to our PP).

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Imjustabill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Nut View Post
Do we have promising prospects at center in the pipeline besides Brassard? Say... someone that could be #2 line capable in about 3 years?
I don't think we do; that's why I'd be all for acquiring two centers this offseason by using the Jackets' first-rounder as part of a package to acquire someone like Marleau, and the Colorado first-rounder as part of a package to acquire someone like Vermette.

Imjustabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:18 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Jeff Carter has become my #1 hope as well, but at 28-years-old, Patrick Marleau is hardly over-the-hill.

Also, when does Carter hit UFA status? He was in the same draft class as Zherdev, who hits it in two years (I think), but Carter has one less year of experience, so my guess is that he's three years away from UFA status (correct if I'm wrong).

My point is that the caliber of guy we want (Carter, for example, with that perfect blend of youth and experience) though younger might not be in Columbus significantly longer than an older guy under contract like a Marleau or Jokinen.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:29 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Based on what I've read, I think there will be alot of suprised/dissapointed fans come Fall with the center situation.

I don't see any top tier centers coming to Columbus this year.
No arguments here, its sad that the excuse can be made "Its a weak Free Agent market for centers" and that will be ok with the people that wear the rose-colored glasses. Excuses such as Injuries, strength and conditioning issues, coaching issues, handcuffed contracts and no trade clauses have been the norm here in Columbus, where they are everywhere else, but other organizations aren't dwelling, they are finding ways to improve there situations, sometimes overnight.

We have the pieces necessary to acquire a top line center, for the first time in our history we can afford to trade for one and pay one, does anybody doubt that? Its only a matter of being willing to part with some pieces and then getting on the horn and making it happen.

If management wants to give it one more go with the assumption both Brassard and Voracek will give us what we need up front immediately, they'd never say it because that would'nt be what the fans are ready to hear after the Alex Picard, Gilbert Brule debacles.

Old
04-29-2008, 11:32 AM
CapnCornelius

I think you take Marleau if he's available--he's not perfect, but he's going to have something to prove and playing with Nash might re-invigorate him. The second line center then depends on what direction the team wants to go vis a vis Zherdev.

If Zherdev is out, rebuild the second line from scratch. Trade a package include Zherdev and 2-3 other pieces to Philly for Carter and Umberger. I really like what I'm seeing of Umberger in the playoffs. This was a guy with 13 goals in the regular season who has put in 5 in 10 playoff games. I'd make a push to sign Malone as well--those three would be a sizeable line that's still not slow.

If Zherdev stays, target a trade for a guy like Ponikarovsky, Prucha or David Krejci. Hopefully Voracek plays well in camp and can play on that line. Otherwise, Novotny might have to do until Jakub is ready.

Old
04-29-2008, 11:38 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
If Zherdev is out, rebuild the second line from scratch. Trade a package include Zherdev and 2-3 other pieces to Philly for Carter and Umberger. I really like what I'm seeing of Umberger in the playoffs. This was a guy with 13 goals in the regular season who has put in 5 in 10 playoff games. I'd make a push to sign Malone as well--those three would be a sizeable line that's still not slow.
I like this idea. Carter and Umberger may be able to be had with Zherdev, Brule and maybe a prospect or a pick. They are both young and proven. Malone would look good on a line centered by Carter and Umberger is an immediate upgrade over Chimera and probably anybody on our third and fourth lines.

Old
04-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Sherokenen

I can't see Philly letting Umberger go. But I don't see a lot of things.

I tend to hold to the pessimistic side of things. The biggest knock on Marleau is inconsistency, which is something C-Bus wants (or should want) no part of. I'd take a B-level center who puts in 75 full-effort consistent games a season vs. an A-level guy that has question marks dangling over his head (not the injury kind, the productivity kind).

Sherokenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherokenen View Post
I can't see Philly letting Umberger go. But I don't see a lot of things.

I tend to hold to the pessimistic side of things. The biggest knock on Marleau is inconsistency, which is something C-Bus wants (or should want) no part of. I'd take a B-level center who puts in 75 full-effort consistent games a season vs. an A-level guy that has question marks dangling over his head (not the injury kind, the productivity kind).
Both he and Carter need to tone down their playoff performance imo

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Aging Goalie

Looking at what we have and what we need I think two centers are definitely needed but I may have a different take on it than most.

For me we keep Manny and play him fourth line and use rarely on PP or PK as needed but especially for important face offs. Third line center should be either Svitov(if he comes back over) or Peca (resigned to a similar deal as last season). Let a Crunchie fill in as needed there with either of those two able to pull 2nd line minutes in a pinch for a game or two. Now if we sign/trade for two centers one has to be a true number one or at very least capable of playing number one effectively if he can be spectacular. To me that would fit most all of the players above. They would all be an upgrade over what was here and in most cases an extreme upgrade. For me the signing of the other center depends on a number of things. If Brass continues to play well he has then earned a shot at making the squad but had better earn it and we may not need the other signing (see what should be expected from #3 center). If we do sign 2 centers and Brass shows up to camp and takes a job on the top 2 lines bumping one of the newbies to the third someone either has to go or sits the press box. most likely Manny in most cases. I do however have one wish.

If Brass comes ready to play and we have went out and acquired 2 other centers to boot please let it be Svitov that decided to come back over. I only say this so that he would have made all of the arrangements to get things set for a season in NA and we can send his undedicated butkus straight back across the Atlantic with a heck of a nice hard kick.

Old
04-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Sherokenen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Both he and Carter need to tone down their playoff performance imo
Word. Umberger is playing the best hockey of his life right now. Did you see that shift last night where he was forechecking and backchecking at the ame time, then got the high fives from the bench at the end of his shift. Sick amount of effort and will out of him right now.

Sherokenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 12:04 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Goalie View Post
Looking at what we have and what we need I think two centers are definitely needed but I may have a different take on it than most.

For me we keep Manny and play him fourth line and use rarely on PP or PK as needed but especially for important face offs. Third line center should be either Svitov(if he comes back over) or Peca (resigned to a similar deal as last season). Let a Crunchie fill in as needed there with either of those two able to pull 2nd line minutes in a pinch for a game or two. Now if we sign/trade for two centers one has to be a true number one or at very least capable of playing number one effectively if he can be spectacular. To me that would fit most all of the players above. They would all be an upgrade over what was here and in most cases an extreme upgrade. For me the signing of the other center depends on a number of things. If Brass continues to play well he has then earned a shot at making the squad but had better earn it and we may not need the other signing (see what should be expected from #3 center). If we do sign 2 centers and Brass shows up to camp and takes a job on the top 2 lines bumping one of the newbies to the third someone either has to go or sits the press box. most likely Manny in most cases. I do however have one wish.

If Brass comes ready to play and we have went out and acquired 2 other centers to boot please let it be Svitov that decided to come back over. I only say this so that he would have made all of the arrangements to get things set for a season in NA and we can send his undedicated butkus straight back across the Atlantic with a heck of a nice hard kick.
One nice thing about guys like Marleau and Vermette, in particular, is that they have played and can play wing as well.

Getting one or both of them AND seeing Brassard make some evolutionary leap would be a welcome and long-overdue embarrassment of riches.

I'd rather have that "problem" than being left at least one real center short -- again.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Xoggz22

One player no one seems to talk about is Fritsche. I haven't seen him in many projected line ups yet I think I may have been the only one to include him in any trade proposals. He was a center and I think could be a pretty good one if need be. I also think he's a fairly valuable commodity still.

Given what the discussions seem to be focused around what about...

Nash J.Staal Modin
Vermette Brassard Zherdev
Chimera Fritsche Voracek
Murray Malhotra Boll

I would love to see Carter, Spezza or could handle Marleau on that first line but this would be a good one for me. I won't even try the D but at least we know we'll have Hejda, Klesla and....oh crap we need more help.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Staal is interesting. Pittsburgh is really going to have to shell out some cash to keep all their budding young stars. Something will have to give. Staal would be the the odd man out in my book.

I don't see anything happening till his rookie contract is up.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote