HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: MacLean interested in returning to Panthers as head coach

Old
04-23-2008, 03:00 PM
LobsterMobster

vCash: 500
Rumor: MacLean interested in returning to Panthers as head coach

MacLean interested in returning to Panthers as head coach

The only man who has coached the Florida Panthers to a victory in the playoffs is interested in returning to his old job. Doug MacLean, who guided them to the 1996 Stanley Cup Final in his first season with Florida, said Tuesday he would like to return to coaching and hopes to talk to General Manager Jacques Martin about the Panthers' vacancy.

LobsterMobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Interview him. Also interview Cunneyworth, Hartley, and whomever else is intersted and qualifies. Pick the person that best fits today's NHL and this team's needs.

Not sure I'd be terribly excited to have him back, but at least sit down with him.

04-23-2008, 04:14 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
We've been known that. Id still rather go with Cunneyworth though.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
I'd pass.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Interview him. Also interview Cunneyworth, Hartley, and whomever else is intersted and qualifies. Pick the person that best fits today's NHL and this team's needs.

Not sure I'd be terribly excited to have him back, but at least sit down with him.
I second that .. You really can't go home again and I think the expectations would become unrealistic quickly. Not a great idea, but I wouldn't say no..

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Montsy14

I really don't care who the new coach is, as long as he isn't Martin's little you know what...

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
I really don't care who the new coach is, as long as he isn't Martin's little you know what...
Why do people keep saying this? What makes anyone believe that Martin's out there looking for a "puppet?" His legacy, name, and job is on the line, I'm sure he's looking for who's best qualified. I don't want a puppet, but I also don't want another Keenan-Dudley, Martin-Keenan situation. How about we find someone who will get along Martin and will fit with the program(s).

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Montsy14

Quote:
Why do people keep saying this? What makes anyone believe that Martin's out there looking for a "puppet?" His legacy, name, and job is on the line, I'm sure he's looking for who's best qualified. I don't want a puppet, but I also don't want another Keenan-Dudley, Martin-Keenan situation. How about we find someone who will get along Martin and will fit with the program(s).
Yeah but the program has Martin written all over it...

Old
04-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
Yeah but the program has Martin written all over it...
I'd imagine so since he's the GM, but that still doesn't answer why some people think he's looking for a puppet. What has Martin done to show that he'll remotely act that way anyway? We're talking about Martin, not Keenan.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Montsy14

Quote:
I'd imagine so since he's the GM, but that still doesn't answer why some people think he's looking for a puppet. What has Martin done to show that he'll remotely act that way anyway? We're talking about Martin, not Keenan.
I understand what you're saying, I honestly have no support to back that statement, but I just kind of get the feeling that's whats going to happen, especially if he hires someone like Randy Cunneyworth who has no NHL coaching experience...

Old
04-23-2008, 05:53 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I'd give MacLean an interview, but I'm not sure who the likely candidate should be. MacLean didn't do very well in Columbus at all as a coach or GM as they're still a far way from the playoffs and Cunnyworth may not be a good choice because of the lack of experience. The bottom line is that Martin will surely have to do his research and think long and hard before making a decision.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Happy Girl

Success 12 years ago does not equal success now. MacLean failed to take Columbus to the playoffs. I just don't know if he is the answer. I'd prefer to see us go with a different option as opposed to recycling a former coach and trying to recapture former glory.

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 07:17 PM
harv3317

i thought macclean was involved with tamps bay. am i wrong?

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Montsy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
i thought macclean was involved with tamps bay. am i wrong?
He was part of a group that was going to purchase the lightning, but one of the guys decided to go it alone and failed...

Old
04-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Madhatter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl View Post
Success 12 years ago does not equal success now. MacLean failed to take Columbus to the playoffs. I just don't know if he is the answer. I'd prefer to see us go with a different option as opposed to recycling a former coach and trying to recapture former glory.
Just shows he failed as a GM... His only stint at coaching there was half a season in 2002-2003 when their top goal scorer was Geoff Sanderson and their tenders were Marc Denis and Jean-Francois Labbe.

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 10:05 PM
KW

Quote:
I have to agree with this statement. I've been critical of Martin as the head coach, but primarily because I always felt 1 man shouldn't be doing 2 jobs at this level of competition. Secondarily because of his personality/demeanor/style. I agree that it's paramount to the club's success that JM find a coach he can get along with and vice versa.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post
Just shows he failed as a GM... His only stint at coaching there was half a season in 2002-2003 when their top goal scorer was Geoff Sanderson and their tenders were Marc Denis and Jean-Francois Labbe.
One thing to remember, MacLean had his success with Florida in the clutch and grab era of NHL Hockey and when asked of Dvorak, a member of this season's Panther team and also a member of the Cup Final team to compare the two teams he replied if the present day Panthers played the same style of the old Panthers they would be on the penalty kill the entire 60 minutes.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 10:20 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
I have mixed emotions towards this. In one way he was a major success in the old NHL....but with the new NHL he, so far, has yet to have one successful season.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 10:56 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
I have mixed emotions towards this. In one way he was a major success in the old NHL....but with the new NHL he, so far, has yet to have one successful season.
He was a success in our playoff push of 96. Aside from that, per TSN:

The Blue Jackets never posted a winning record, going 172-258-62 under MacLean's leadership and remaining the only franchise never to qualify for the NHL playoffs. On April 18, 2007 MacLean was fired as the team's president and general manager. TSN

I dont know why everyone wants to go this route. Hartley or Cunneyworth would be better options.

Old
04-23-2008, 11:28 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I wonder with MacLean being a former GM how much he would try to influence Martin in trades or demand Martin to make moves. I'd love to have MacLean but then again you have to think about our track record with people on there 2nd stint with us isnt that good

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 11:48 PM
PanthersRule96

My complaint with Martin is he hasn't proven anything in the new NHL. Just as some once-heralded players (Derian Hatcher) are useless now more or less since the game has changed, Martin never proved he could adapt. MacLean hasn't done anything in the new NHL either, so if I had that complaint with Martin, I sure as hell have the same concern with MacLean. I'd rather see a younger guy with some fire, that our players can relate to, since so many of them are young as well.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 06:45 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

I'd rather have Cunneyworth or Hartley! I think they would be a better fit with the type of team we have.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 07:51 AM
Acadmus

McLean succeeded his first year here, but with a mix of grizzled castoff veterans who'd nearly made the playoffs two years running and a smattering of young guys and a couple skill players. He benefitted from a group that already wanted to win, nearly had the ability to do it, and just needed a little better strategy. The same crew of players finished in the same seed in the regular season then next year after losing in the finals, but only won one playoff game. They were looking to miss the playoffs the way they started the third season, but we'll never know since McLean got canned in November.

I just don't know if he's the right guy for the job or not. He's a risk...so do you go with a risk? A guy who had great success one season, or do you look at the factors involved and decide the risk is too great?

In all fairness, the failure of the 1997 first round series with the Rangers was due to the Rags engaging in dirty play and trying to injure our forwards (I think a couple were)...something NJ then did to them the next round. Different world. And losing Skrudland in the offseason was a big deflation for the team.

But is this team hungry enough to win? McLean might motivate them...they've got the talent. As Martin noted in the article, Doug's a good teacher, and these guys need to be taught. But how are his motivation skills? That seems to be a problem.

My inclination is to want Cunneyworth instead since he's done very well with what he's been given with the Americans the last several seasons (this year he took a pathetic constantly rotating crew and squeezed 24 wins out of them). Perhaps McLean would deign to serve as head coach in Rochester? Then again, he probably wants to be in Florida and that's the reason he's interested in the job, but he'd be perfect for the minor league club, I think.

04-24-2008, 07:55 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
He was a success in our playoff push of 96. Aside from that, per TSN:

The Blue Jackets never posted a winning record, going 172-258-62 under MacLean's leadership and remaining the only franchise never to qualify for the NHL playoffs. On April 18, 2007 MacLean was fired as the team's president and general manager. TSN

I dont know why everyone wants to go this route. Hartley or Cunneyworth would be better options.
All that says is he's a bad GM. He wasn't coaching for most of that 172-258-62 record.

And, to be fair, one of those seasons it was a given Columbus wouldn't do well, as half the club got the flu right before the season started. I don't recall which, either the season before or season after the lockout I think.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 10:17 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...n-not-the.html

Doug MacLean reportedly would like to become the Panthers' head coach again.

He coached them during their most magical season (1995-96) as they captured South Florida's attention and affection and reached the Stanley Cup finals.

Of course, he'd like the Panthers' job. He'd like any job at this point. Because he doesn't have one. MacLean's interest is nothing to get excited about. If you want the Panthers to return to the playoffs, MacLean isn't the answer. It's easy to let emotion overcome sensibility.

So MacLean wants the job. So does Mike Kitchen. So does another current Panthers' assistant coach, Guy Charron. So does Randy Cunneyworth, coach of the Panthers' AHL affiliate in Rochester. Many others would like the job, too.

Last edited by Acadmus: 04-24-2008 at 11:11 AM. Reason: you can't post complete articles