HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading Down

Old
04-25-2008, 06:39 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

vCash: 500
Trading Down

Do you think that the Jackets are interested at all in trading down and going for the playoffs next year? Brian Burke mentioned he made 2 offers to trade up (never mentioned whether they were thumbs up or down), and the only teams I see doing this are Nashville, Chicago, and you guys. Chicago is to close to us to really make a big leap. What do you think the deal would look like if Burke did indeed offer a deal to Colombus?

Last edited by jax00: 04-25-2008 at 06:46 PM.
jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:59 PM
BluejacketNut

I think it depends on who does the calling. If we advertise the pick, then we're not going to get the best deal, if its other team calling to move up, then its going to cost. How bout Getzlaf

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Casework

If anything, I would say the Jackets would be more willing to simply deal the pick than swap it out for a lower pick or something. But, to deal it we really need it going for a center, maybe a defenseman, but more than likely as a key piece to a deal for a top 6 center.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:43 PM
RDriesenUD

NOT A CHANCE. we may trade it for a player (i hope we dont), but there is no way we trade down. any team in the top 7 or 8 who trades out of the top 8 is stupid.

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:46 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Trading down makes no sense for us, Either keep the pick and draft or, I hope, package the pick for some immediate help.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Macster

If a trade with Ottawa takes place, regardless of the pieces involved, I would really like it if it involved a swap of first rounders, as opposed to us just giving them ours.

In essence, trading down, while also acquiring NHL players.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 10:49 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
If a trade with Ottawa takes place, regardless of the pieces involved, I would really like it if it involved a swap of first rounders, as opposed to us just giving them ours.

In essence, trading down, while also acquiring NHL players.
im hoping we can get Vermette for the Colorado pick +. get Filatov or Bogosian, Schenn, etc with our pick. to get Filatov or one of the top dmen and Vermette with the 2 picks. that would be the best case scenario for me.

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesen16 View Post
im hoping we can get Vermette for the Colorado pick +. get Filatov or Bogosian, Schenn, etc with our pick. to get Filatov or one of the top dmen and Vermette with the 2 picks. that would be the best case scenario for me.
Me too, but I think both of our picks will be in play. If we do end up with a first rounder, I think it will either be the Avs first or Ottawa's if we get it.

If we make the Ottawa trade, something along the lines of Vermette and a week of Redden, along with their first for our first @ 6, Brule, Tollefsen and something else, then we can use Ottawa's pick (which is higher than the Avs pick) and swap that along with whatever else (maybe even our 2009 first rounder) for another centre or defenseman.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 11:36 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksRule00 View Post
Do you think that the Jackets are interested at all in trading down and going for the playoffs next year? Brian Burke mentioned he made 2 offers to trade up (never mentioned whether they were thumbs up or down), and the only teams I see doing this are Nashville, Chicago, and you guys. Chicago is to close to us to really make a big leap. What do you think the deal would look like if Burke did indeed offer a deal to Colombus?
I'm not sure Howson would be all that thrilled trading with Burke. Where a trade is obviously good for your team I think a GM puts his personal feeling aside and does it but considering all the crap that came out of Burke this past year about Lowe and the Oilers organization I can see Howson preferring to deal elsewhere.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 12:50 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksRule00 View Post
Schneider might be of interest to us. But our first priority is a center and other than Getzy, you guys don't have much to offer. Unless Howson absolutely can't find a way to land a center, I don't think a deal happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
I'm not sure Howson would be all that thrilled trading with Burke. Where a trade is obviously good for your team I think a GM puts his personal feeling aside and does it but considering all the crap that came out of Burke this past year about Lowe and the Oilers organization I can see Howson preferring to deal elsewhere.
Howson already traded with Burke--we traded Geoff Platt for Clay Wilson and Aaron Rome. Howson can't afford to pass on deals with other GM's just because they don't get along with KLowe.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
Howson wasn't even part of the Oilers organization when the Penner thing went down. That doesn't mean he couldn't think of Burkie as a ******, but they are on speaking terms (as the last poster proved with that trade).

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I remember Burke saying during an interview with Rimer that Howson was one of the best brilliant young minds in hockey. So I see no rift between the two.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 03:34 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Howson already traded with Burke--we traded Geoff Platt for Clay Wilson and Aaron Rome. Howson can't afford to pass on deals with other GM's just because they don't get along with KLowe.
Forgot about that. I stand corrected.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 09:37 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
I remember Burke saying during an interview with Rimer that Howson was one of the best brilliant young minds in hockey. So I see no rift between the two.
I hope so, because all I've seen so far tends to suggest a glorified bean counter. Lets hope it was only the fact that he was hamstrung by poor contracts and saddled with the expectations of turning around a floundering (on ice) franchise.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote