HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If someone can post video of the penalty i would appreciate it

Old
04-25-2008, 09:23 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
We'll agree to disagree right there. I can see us going back and forth that it was or wasn't. I think two players, who lean into each other and one goes down, doesn't automatically necessitate a penalty. My two cents.
You're right... it doesn't automatically necessitate a penalty. Unfortunately though, penalties of that sort are judgment calls on the part of the ref. I couldn't blame em for this one.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
how about tawnos goes back to the ice turkeys board and he can just **** cindy crybaby, with other 3 week pittsburgh fans
I'm a Rangers fan...

Old
04-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
You're right... it doesn't automatically necessitate a penalty. Unfortunately though, penalties of that sort are judgment calls on the part of the ref. I couldn't blame em for this one.
And I've always said refs normally don't determine the outcome but I am hard pressed to say that tonight.

Normally these tick tack fouls are let go at the end. A previous poster mentioned Poti's penalty against the Flyers in OT and I agree. There are numerous calls that aren't made during the first and second periods that go uncalled but to make a call with less than five minutes in a tied game that is a maybe yes or maybe no??? Come on, give me a break.

If the play developed where this was leading to a potential breakaway by Crosby, then maybe you have an argument. But I don't see this...

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
If the play developed where this was leading to a potential breakaway by Crosby, then maybe you have an argument. But I don't see this...
We agree to disagree then, and I'm going to bed.

Old
04-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
We agree to disagree then, and I'm going to bed.
I wish the ref put his whistle to bed!

Hopefully they'll come back on Sunday afternoon.

Old
04-25-2008, 09:47 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
y didnt Ruutu get called for the new AVERY RULE!? does it only apply to avery?

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
y didnt Ruutu get called for the new AVERY RULE!? does it only apply to avery?
Shhhh, it's the Avery Rule. Only Avery can be called for it.

So, if on Sunday, Gomez gets kicked out of the facefoff and Avery comes in against Cindy and he puts his stick in front of Cindy's face like ruutu, I'm sure he'll be called.

Old
04-25-2008, 10:16 PM
blandBob

Quote:
It was a penalty. Actually, it was a good penalty. As far as Straka is concerned, without taking that penalty, Hossa and Crosby are in on a 2 on none. Nobody in the building thought Gomez would knock that puck away.

It was a penalty by every standard. You can't impede with a guys skating stride when he doesn't have the puck.
Yep, by every standard it was a penalty. So answer me this, what is a standard when players exploit the rules?
Yes I know that's a loaded question, because if you wanted to have a trial for all the offendants, we wouldn't live long enough for the verdict.
Crosby just has a way, he just has a way of getting knocked off his skates, poor guy
Now, after really giving him benefit of the doubt, I really surely sincerely honestly want Colton Orr to imprint Crosby's face on the side boards, but only in the process of a completely clean and honest hit in which Sid is in no way tripped or interfered with.
I think I've covered everything off while being politically correct.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Unpredictable1

I don't think there's enough technology in the world that could find Backman's penalty in the beginning of the game.

edit: later in the game Dubi stripped Gonchar of the puck in the PITTS zone to which Gonchop 2-handed slashed Dubi across the back of the legs with good force. No call.

That was an eye opener for me past all the crap not called on Jagr, as per the norm for the last 12 years.

Unpredictable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 10:27 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It was a dive like no other put it this way.

Crosby is 5-11, 200 pounds with legs the size of tree trunks. Straka is 5-9, 180 pounds. There is no way that with such little contact that Crosby should have fallen. That and the fact that Straka wasn't even facing Crosby, they were pretty much side by side with Crosby coming from behind Straka. Straka was facing the same direction as Crosby. So how can you interfere with a guy who is beside you and facing the same direction? I don't know. What's better is that the little bit of contact that was made somehow makes Crosby fall. Crosby is moving fast/accelerating and Straka is moving at a slower rate. Straka in no way tripped Crosby, so with Crosby having the momentum, power, and size advantage there's no way that he should have fallen the way he did.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 10:41 PM
blandBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
It was a dive like no other put it this way.

Crosby is 5-11, 200 pounds with legs the size of tree trunks. Straka is 5-9, 180 pounds. There is no way that with such little contact that Crosby should have fallen. That and the fact that Straka wasn't even facing Crosby, they were pretty much side by side with Crosby coming from behind Straka. Straka was facing the same direction as Crosby. So how can you interfere with a guy who is beside you and facing the same direction? I don't know. What's better is that the little bit of contact that was made somehow makes Crosby fall. Crosby is moving fast/accelerating and Straka is moving at a slower rate. Straka in no way tripped Crosby, so with Crosby having the momentum, power, and size advantage there's no way that he should have fallen the way he did.
Crosby is a an a-hole. Period. He thrives on this type of stuff. The real irony of it is that it will come back on him later. And please, don't anyone give me any diversionary arguments. The guy fakes it and it works in his favour. Thanks to Wikipedia,the real story of Sid won't be written by NHL.com marketing.
I swear to God that Bobby Orr, Brian Leetch or the Wayner would be ashamed of how such an extremely skilled player as Sid plays this manipulative game. Once again, to be politically correct, sure wish someone would correct him, in a very physical way, which is hockey, right?

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
I think the interference call on Malkin was a legit call but one that didn't necessarily need to be called, the game would have been served if the ref just waited a second or two to see if the Pen player - can't recall who it was - beat Gomez to the puck to call the penalty because then Stratka would have denied the Pens a two on one by interfering with Malkin.

But since Gomez knocked the puck away and into the boards away from the infraction it was irrelevant and could and probably should have been overlooked.

That's the problem with today's refs, they don't have a presence of mind to call a game in this manner.

04-25-2008, 11:36 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
I think the interference call on Malkin was a legit call but one that didn't necessarily need to be called, the game would have been served if the ref just waited a second or two to see if the Pen player - can't recall who it was - beat Gomez to the puck to call the penalty because then Stratka would have denied the Pens a two on one by interfering with Malkin.

But since Gomez knocked the puck away and into the boards away from the infraction it was irrelevant and could and probably should have been overlooked.

That's the problem with today's refs, they don't have a presence of mind to call a game in this manner.
T'was Crosby, not Malkin, but I agree. The fact that Gomez moved the puck away from the play is what made it so much worse especially at that point in the game.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:

It seems that refs have certain penalties to call today, a stick in the hands/stick or interference that they always call.

Anything else, is subject to interpretation. Not saying there was a penalty but remember the scrum where both Orr and Sjostrom BOTH had their helmets "removed". I mean come on, how many times am I going to see the Rangers get facewashed during scrums???

Old
04-25-2008, 11:38 PM
MountVancouver'94

Here's how a frame grab of the Straka/Crosby Penalty:

MountVancouver'94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 11:44 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

You all know I'm rooting for the Rangers... but the Straka call was the right call. Sid sold it most definitely, but it was absolutely interference on Straka. The series is indeed far from over, though.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 11:49 PM
MountVancouver'94

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
You all know I'm rooting for the Rangers... but the Straka call was the right call. Sid sold it most definitely, but it was absolutely interference on Straka. The series is indeed far from over, though.
Explain how in the neutral zone, the secondary player bumps with another player who didn't use a free hand or his stick when they are both jockeying for position is the "right call". I could say that Sidney interfered with Straka trying to get back and prevent an odd man rush. Should have been a non-call, AT ANY POINT OF A GAME...but with under 3 min left, no freakin way was that a penalty.

MountVancouver'94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 11:55 PM
KenAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
The Rangers blowing a 3-0 lead is the reason they lost but the inconsistences of the refs are killing our game. Look at the Caps overtime tripping call. Yeah, it was a penalty to the letter of the law but you had just let the teams play the last 27 minutes of the regulation time penalty free. During that time they let things a lot worse than the Tom Poti trip go.
The referees clearly wanted to let the players play, since as you point out, they ignored other penalties. Most other players accept that, so they keep playing when they are hooked, tripped, or boarded. They try to regain their balance instead of flopping to the ice.

Crosby and certain other players don't or won't do that. Falling and embellishing has become so second nature to them that they don't even think about it anymore. Crosby says he doesn't dive, but when was the last time you saw him recover from a borderline trip that knocked him off balance? No-name players around the league can recover from errant sticks without falling to the ice, so why can't Crosby? You'd think the second coming of Gretzky would be able to recover his balance from time to time.

Unfortunately, flopping has become a de-facto skill that players practice and develop to help their teams win in the NHL. Crosby does as much as anyone to create power play for his teams. But can you blame him, really? As long as the NHL is going to continue to call penalties on flops, he would be stupid to stop doing the very thing that helps his team win close games. If he were on your team, I bet you'd want those extra power plays too.

Last edited by KenAF: 04-26-2008 at 12:20 AM.
KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 11:58 PM
guyincognito

Quote:

Gomez also created the whole mess by firing a point shot for reasons I'll never be able to figure out. Blocked and turned right back at him. Really, what are the chances of him scoring for there, I watched him live for 7 seasons and don't remember him ever scoring from there.

To me, it's just a bad break caused by a dumb decision.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 12:06 AM
TheHMan

This is how the refs are calling things against Pittsburgh this season. There was inconsistencies and a bit of Crosby diving (Phillips gives him a shove and he drops like a ragdoll). After watching that series, and the Montreal-Bruins one, I'm getting very sick of all the embellishment and guys vaulting over players checks to draw penalties. As a reference to how much this hurt Ottawa, Pittsburgh scored somewhere around 42% of their goals on the PP if you take away empty netters.

I really hope the Rangers can overcome the officiating and outwork the Pens. The last thing I want to see is Soccer-caliber acting in a contact sport, it's getting pretty awful.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 12:16 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

lets see a video please

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 12:16 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVancouver'94 View Post
Explain how in the neutral zone, the secondary player bumps with another player who didn't use a free hand or his stick when they are both jockeying for position is the "right call". I could say that Sidney interfered with Straka trying to get back and prevent an odd man rush. Should have been a non-call, AT ANY POINT OF A GAME...but with under 3 min left, no freakin way was that a penalty.
I didn't say that I would be mad, upset, or in disagreement with the refs if they let it slide. It was a borderline call at a poor time in the game to be making such a call. The fact of the matter remains, though: Straka was getting passed by Crosby, and interfered with his progress in the neutral zone - not just with his stick, but with his body IMO. If they let it slide, I wouldn't have minded at all (obviously)... but it's not a call where I'm saying "how the **** could you call that, it was blatantly not a penalty." It was a penalty.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 12:30 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Is this a trick question? Because there was no legitimate penalty.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 12:36 AM
nyr7andcounting

Yea unfortunately, as usual, VS didn't really show anything. I'd like to see the whole play from the end zone.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 01:26 AM
knives of ice

unfortunately it was most definitely a penalty. they went over it numerous times in the post game on CBC HNIC and all panelists agreed it was without a doubt interference and had to be called. basically, if straka woulnd't have slowed crosby down the pens would have had a 2 on 0 because there is no way the refs could have foreseen gomez making the great play to knock the puck away from hossa. if straka hadn't interfered with crosby he would have blown past him to have a 2 on 0 no doubt.

we also got away from avery sticking crosby really good in the face and gomez knocking him over they showed that alot too. no call there.

sorry to say...the horrible defense on sykora's goal setup by malkin was really the backbreaker this game. that crosby penalty is going to get called every time. plus, he never actually went down he only stumbled. tough call but it was correct.

knives of ice is offline   Reply With Quote