HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

If someone can post video of the penalty i would appreciate it

Old
04-26-2008, 02:07 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

vCash: 500
who cares?

this game was an embarassment. no way, you ****in deserve to win this one. Jagr's post with 14 seconds left was pure Karma..

They better lockdown, or Henry's gonna look like a total scrub.

Old
04-26-2008, 02:57 AM
Ola

To be honest, and I don't know all the details here because on VS its really hard to keep track of whats happening, but:

We got a 2 on 1 or something, a Penguin D dove and broke it up, while the other Penguin was called for interference. No replays was shown of that penalty, but it looked exactly like Straka's one IMO. So, with that penalty in mind, I don't got a huge problem with the call. Sure I am pissed but...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 03:06 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knives of ice View Post
unfortunately it was most definitely a penalty. they went over it numerous times in the post game on CBC HNIC and all panelists agreed it was without a doubt interference and had to be called. basically, if straka woulnd't have slowed crosby down the pens would have had a 2 on 0 because there is no way the refs could have foreseen gomez making the great play to knock the puck away from hossa. if straka hadn't interfered with crosby he would have blown past him to have a 2 on 0 no doubt.

we also got away from avery sticking crosby really good in the face and gomez knocking him over they showed that alot too. no call there.

sorry to say...the horrible defense on sykora's goal setup by malkin was really the backbreaker this game. that crosby penalty is going to get called every time. plus, he never actually went down he only stumbled. tough call but it was correct.

HALLELUJA!

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 08:34 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
HALLELUJA!
Not sure why your excited about the NHL falling over itself to cover up Crosby's obvious dive. There is no way he didn't embellish. And there is no way the ref can call that after swallowing his whistle all period. Shameful. Pro wrestling has better calls than that one.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 08:53 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
Not sure why your excited about the NHL falling over itself to cover up Crosby's obvious dive. There is no way he didn't embellish. And there is no way the ref can call that after swallowing his whistle all period. Shameful. Pro wrestling has better calls than that one.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 09:05 AM
roxchipsi8

I'm not sure how to post this, but this link has the highlights of the game. They show the penalty about 2 minutes in and then more at around 2.45

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5fUdSt-RDnI

roxchipsi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 09:15 AM
Rangerz72

What about this non call that led to the second Pit goal

Check out the 42 second mark of this video.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/...goryId=2459791
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Noncall.bmp‎ (576.1 KB, 13 views)

Rangerz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 09:52 AM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by knives of ice View Post
unfortunately it was most definitely a penalty. they went over it numerous times in the post game on CBC HNIC and all panelists agreed it was without a doubt interference and had to be called. basically, if straka woulnd't have slowed crosby down the pens would have had a 2 on 0 because there is no way the refs could have foreseen gomez making the great play to knock the puck away from hossa. if straka hadn't interfered with crosby he would have blown past him to have a 2 on 0 no doubt.
How would they have had a 2 on 0? Gomez was even with Hossa, and Crosby was behind them. Even if Crosby pulls away from Straka, it's still a 2 on 1 at best, with Gomez defending Hossa and Crosby trailing. But all that doesn't matter much anyway because Gomez poked the puck away and there was no chance of a 2 on 1, much less a 2 on 0.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 09:56 AM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxchipsi8 View Post
I'm not sure how to post this, but this link has the highlights of the game. They show the penalty about 2 minutes in and then more at around 2.45

Thanks for posting that. VS didn't really give replays of anything all night.

After seeing it twice there, it's ridiculous that it was called late in the 3rd period of a tie playoff game. Straka puts a shoulder into him trying to get position. He didn't touch him with his stick or trip him or anything.

The Rangers got a few bs calls go their way too. And probably didn't deserve to win that game. But they battled to comeback and tie it on the road and then the refs hand the Pens and Crosby the game.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post
Thanks for posting that. VS didn't really give replays of anything all night.

After seeing it twice there, it's ridiculous that it was called late in the 3rd period of a tie playoff game. Straka puts a shoulder into him trying to get position. He didn't touch him with his stick or trip him or anything.

The Rangers got a few bs calls go their way too. And probably didn't deserve to win that game. But they battled to comeback and tie it on the road and then the refs hand the Pens and Crosby the game.
Watch the 2:58 replay again. Straka got his stick parallel to impede Crosby's progress twice, then elbowed him down in the neutral zone. It's certainly no better than the interference call on the Penguins earlier in the game.

I don't recall anyone over here complaining about the blatant non-call at :28 of the video, either. But I suppose Crosby probably dove his face into Avery's stick.

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 04-26-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 11:05 AM
92hatchattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
I don't recall anyone over here complaining about the blatant non-call at :28 of the video, either. But I suppose Crosby probably dove his face into Avery's stick.

If Crosby wasnt flopping around on the ground AGAIN he would never have gotten a stick in his face.

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 11:07 AM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

I didn't like the call because of the time of game and time of year. Straka is fine to make that play, imho.

ManInTheBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Stepan Razor

haha...if you've ever played hockey, you'd know that there's nothing straka did to make crosby's arms flail like that. he's an embellisher and it's sad to think our league has a leader like this, and that kids will watch this guy and try to emulate that.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
Watch the 2:58 replay again. Straka got his stick parallel to impede Crosby's progress twice, then elbowed him down in the neutral zone. It's certainly no better than the interference call on the Penguins earlier in the game.

i agree about the avery stick, but come on dude, be realistic. do you really want playoff games to be decided by calls that are borderline in october, let alone with 3:00 to go in a postseason tilt?

Old
04-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Daily View Post
i agree about the avery stick, but come on dude, be realistic. do you really want playoff games to be decided by calls that are borderline in october, let alone with 3:00 to go in a postseason tilt?
The penalty itself wasn't borderline. Crosby put his arms up...who cares, Straka did impede him. The refs were watchful for interference from the outset, so it's not like the call was just then thrust on the players out of nowhere.

And it wasn't like this happened on an unimportant play; it was a legitimate scoring rush where all eyes were obviously on the action.

If you don't want to do the time, don't do the crime. I'd like penalties to be called the same way all year.

Old
04-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Stepan Razor

whatever man. keep drinking the kool-aid. the two stick taps did nothing to impede him, he's a much stronger skater than that (you should know, you watch plenty of him). his quote is even funnier: "i just tried to basically catch up to him, i don't know what i tripped over, whether it was his stick or his skate..." - crosby

this is playoff hockey, not the first 6 weeks of the season when the officials try to demonstrate that obstruction won't be tolerated. if you think penalties should be called the same all the way through the season, then you're delusional.

Old
04-26-2008, 11:39 AM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
whatever man. keep drinking the kool-aid. the two stick taps did nothing to impede him, he's a much stronger skater than that (you should know, you watch plenty of him). his quote is even funnier: "i just tried to basically catch up to him, i don't know what i tripped over, whether it was his stick or his skate..." - crosby

this is playoff hockey, not the first 6 weeks of the season when the officials try to demonstrate that obstruction won't be tolerated. if you think penalties should be called the same all the way through the season, then you're delusional.
Blame the refs that made the call. Crosby barely even fell and was ahead of Straka by the end of the play. So you keep on drinking your own brand of Kool-Aid. Our Kool-Aid is probably much tastier considering the final outcome...

Oh and get some tissues for Shanny, talk about a crier.

DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 11:40 AM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
Blame the refs that made the call. Crosby barely even fell and was ahead of Straka by the end of the play. So you keep on drinking your own brand of Kool-Aid. Our Kool-Aid is probably much tastier considering the final outcome...

Oh and get some tissues for Shanny, talk about a crier.
LOL, look at the replay and tell me Crosby didn't embelish it. W/e game is over, we are down 0-1. Looking forward to sunday. LGR. Can anyone get me the rule book on a kicking motion btw?

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Stepan Razor

look i'm just saying he's a much stronger skater than what he showed on that play.

i do blame the refs - not so much for the call, but for trying to influence a playoff game late in the action. the previous night, i disagreed with the mike richards call. shoulder, knee, whatever - it wasn't blatant and kovalev's little ballerina move at the end of it sold it, but it was ****ing borderline .

just let them play, that's all i'm saying.

Old
aslim240

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxchipsi8 View Post

First thank you for posting this video, it was tough to find.

Was Straka's stick parallel? Yes, but when they first make contact, Crosby is behind him, so i guess he should throw his stick in the air the way Crosby did, then the penalty is on Crosby for interefernce then.

In Crosby's own words "I was behind and trying to catch up to him" pretty tough to get your stick in the midsection of someone behind you.

The Ranger's have to be realistic, Pittsburgh is going to get 4 more PP minutes every game.

No crying about it. PK has to be great and we cant have the turnovers in our own end, the cost us the goals it did today.

No reason we can not come back and win Sunday.

aslim240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
LOL, look at the replay and tell me Crosby didn't embelish it. W/e game is over, we are down 0-1. Looking forward to sunday. LGR. Can anyone get me the rule book on a kicking motion btw?
are you trying to say Malkin kicked in the GW?

DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 11:50 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

First of all, for anyone to say for sure that Crosby dived is not being honest with themselves.

Second, it doesn't matter if he dived or not, it's still a penalty. Straka ran interference on a possible breakaway chance. That's always going to get called!

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
are you trying to say Malkin kicked in the GW?
Not saying that I think Malkin's goal shouldn't have counted, but that was more of a kicking motion then Rachunek's disallowed goal in last years playoffs. food for thought.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
No Kool-Aid involved. The video clearly shows that Straka's stick was parallel on Crosby, and that's an interference call. Has been all year.

Quote:
The NHL's Director of Officiating feels the same as I do.

So, you can either complain about the timing of a legitimate penalty that's been called all year, which has been directed from the top to be called all year regardless of game circumstance, or you can discuss ways your team can better protect a lead so they don't have to be put in that position.

The latter would probably be more satisfying, because the former isn't going to change any time soon.

Old
04-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Jessiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
who cares?

this game was an embarassment. no way, you ****in deserve to win this one. Jagr's post with 14 seconds left was pure Karma..

They better lockdown, or Henry's gonna look like a total scrub.
agreed. blowing a 3 - 0 lead? The Rags better start spending their time protecting leads instead of complaining about dives and officiating.

The Pens scored 4 even strength goals.

The interference call on Crosby in the second period was crap, it wasn't a penalty, that's for sure. However, unless you weren't watching the game I don't see how that is a dive. I've seen dives from numerous players around the league starting when they were giving $1,000 fines to McCabe and Van Allen way back in 2003. And arguably some of Crosby's "falls" can definitely be seen as "dives". The one in the second does not look like one, it was just a bad call.

Jessiah is offline   Reply With Quote