HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ryan Smyth?

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2004, 08:22 PM
goalchenyuk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
I dont think that symth is worth more than a prospect plus a pick. He has only had two 30 goal seasons, where the last one was in 2000-2001, 4 years ago. He also hasnt played a full season since 2000-2001. I really think that because of these "factors" that his value is not as high as people think!

I just dont think you get bang for the buck these days when trades occur.

Peace
so Koivu who had only 2 seasons of 20 goals is worth something like a a 2 / 3 /4 th pick ?

Old
02-10-2004, 08:36 PM
Cloudigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
NO, I find him overrated as well.
1996-97 Edmonton Oilers NHL 82 39 22 61 76 12 5 5 10 12
1997-98 Edmonton Oilers NHL 65 20 13 33 44 12 1 3 4 16
1998-99 Edmonton Oilers NHL 71 13 18 31 62 3 3 0 3 0
1999-00 Edmonton Oilers NHL 82 28 26 54 58 5 1 0 1 6
2000-01 Edmonton Oilers NHL 82 31 39 70 58 6 3 4 7 4
2001-02 Edmonton Oilers NHL 61 15 35 50 48 -- -- -- -- --
2002-03 Edmonton Oilers NHL 66 27 34 61 67 6 2 0 2 16
2003-04 Edmonton Oilers NHL 55 15 19 34 54
NHL Totals 615 190 215 405 495 44 15 12 27 54

Sorry but i dont see how he can be overrated he is a hard working 20 to 30 goal scorer .. who is relatively young and is a true first liner.. I dont think anyone said he was Bertuzzi...

Last edited by Cloudigger: 02-10-2004 at 08:43 PM.
Old
02-10-2004, 08:45 PM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
Am I the only one who finds Smyth overrated?
Probably not anymore. After the ridiculously large number of posts and threads on the Habs getting Smyth posted both here and in the Trade Rumors and Proposals forum, the superlative adjectives and descriptions about this man are getting a little carried away by Habs and Oil fans alike. That's not to say that I think he's an excellent hockey player and would be great for this team.

Old
02-10-2004, 09:05 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
so Koivu who had only 2 seasons of 20 goals is worth something like a a 2 / 3 /4 th pick ?
Koivu is not supposed to be a thirty goal scorer, hes a playmaker. Wrong comparison

Plus i said pick PLUS ONE prospect, not just pick. I also never mentioned what pick!

Old
02-11-2004, 11:51 AM
EBS111

any new info?

i was just wondering if there was any new information about the Ryan Symth trade rumours.

GO HABS GO !!!

Old
02-11-2004, 12:11 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBS111
i was just wondering if there was any new information about the Ryan Symth trade rumours.

GO HABS GO !!!
Probably not...

Welcome to the board...

Old
02-11-2004, 01:59 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Koivu is not supposed to be a thirty goal scorer, hes a playmaker. Wrong comparison

Plus i said pick PLUS ONE prospect, not just pick. I also never mentioned what pick!
who said that is only a playmaker ? i don't like this way to classified a player statut;Koivu is supposed to score as all the first center liner...being a good playmaker , yes but that doesn't excuse him if he's not able to score.
Anyway , i just want to point you that if Smyth doeasn't have value because he only had 2 seasons of 30 goals is ridiculous...

Old
02-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier
i feel like that deal would bump us up one echelon in the nhl food chain

we'd no longer be pretenders IMO but contenders
Before you plan the Stanley cup parade you should do a reality check and ask yourself if you actually think the oil would ever consider this deal.

Geez BREWER>komasarek

and Smyth>>>>> perez

Hmmm my advise cut down on the glue it is affecting your thinking!

Old
02-11-2004, 02:49 PM
go habsgo

smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaherdin
I heard on sportsnet yeasterday (i hope someone heard the same) tha the Oilers would maybe trade Smyth to shake things up, and that the Habs were interested. Smyth is playing not so great with oilers right now (bad penalties). What do you think the habs could give up to have him. Smyth with Sak and Ryder..would be great or with Zednik and Ribs. I think he is the kind of guy (with a lot of heart) the habs want, a true leader.

Why not: Hainsey and Hossa (maybe something more) for Smyth?

Old
02-11-2004, 02:53 PM
go habsgo

smyth

i thong you guys are all dreaming if bob gainey would have wanted to trade he would have allready done it i think he will do nothing and we will unfortunatly go into the playoffs with the team we have wich is not much but the fans seem to be the only ones noticing the lack of offense i think he will not move att all not even on march 9 the deadline i am very disscouragted because the other teams arroud us aremoving but i guess we are to good as we are yeah right

Old
02-11-2004, 03:06 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by go habsgo
i thong you guys are all dreaming if bob gainey would have wanted to trade he would have allready done it i think he will do nothing and we will unfortunatly go into the playoffs with the team we have wich is not much but the fans seem to be the only ones noticing the lack of offense i think he will not move att all not even on march 9 the deadline i am very disscouragted because the other teams arroud us aremoving but i guess we are to good as we are yeah right
they are moving but are they better ? not sure .Look at the phillys, it's look like the last years a lot .Clark is always looking for a good goaler but he always trade for an old player that finally don't do the job.

Old
02-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
Geez BREWER>komasarek

and Smyth>>>>> perez
Pretty weird for you to say this as nobody knows what those two prospects will turn into yet. Especially in Perezhogin's case. Way too soon to start typing the ">>>>>>" all over the place.

Old
02-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
Before you plan the Stanley cup parade you should do a reality check and ask yourself if you actually think the oil would ever consider this deal.

Geez BREWER>komasarek

and Smyth>>>>> perez

Hmmm my advise cut down on the glue it is affecting your thinking!
I see it this way... as of today

Komiserek = < Brewer (Brewer has an edge on Komiserek right now because of the NHL experience he has over Komiserek.)
Smyth >>> Perezoghin (Smyth is by far head over heels on Perezoghin)

2 to 3 years from now!

Komiserek > Brewer (Komiserek is younger, more of a physical presence and has some offensive skill also by this time has the NHL experience)

Perezoghin = Smyth ( These 2 players COULD be on the same level by then giving the offensive skill to Perezoghin but the physical presence to Smyth, also Perezoghin is much yonger and will be with the team that much longer. He may even be on the tea as early as next year)

If the habs were serious contenders for the cup this year or next I would say if possible they should pull the trigger on such a trade. Since they won't be a contender for at least 3 years even with Brewer and Smyth there's no reason to give up our best prospects.

Old
02-11-2004, 08:27 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Pretty weird for you to say this as nobody knows what those two prospects will turn into yet. Especially in Perezhogin's case. Way too soon to start typing the ">>>>>>" all over the place.
i agree , and if he absolutly wants to put some >>>><<<<< may be he could try this one ;

Smyth salary >>> Hossa/ Hainsey salary...

that's will be a big point in this trade .

Old
02-11-2004, 08:49 PM
goalchenyuk

MacKenzie "Lowe said Smyth only for something teriffic.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On team 990.morning drive.

MacK spoke to Lowe.

1. Smyth has not been there this year.
He has been there in the past and will be in the future.

2. Would I trade Smyth, no. Unless I get an offer that is spectacular.
3. Mackenzie:. I believe him on this one since he was adamant.

spectaculor ??? hum ! let say; resign Petrov and Denis Savard than trade them for Smyth.

the canadians are going to have the player they drem for
the oilers are going to have 2 really spectaculor spinorama makers

Old
02-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Master Lok

Hi, I'm an Oilers fan and just dropped by to put in my two cents.

Believe it when Lowe said that it would have to be a spectacular offer. Smyth would not be moved for just prospects and picks. He is a warrior and a heart & soul leader on the Oilers. He is also the face of the Oilers and there would be a hue and cry from the fans if Smyth was moved for anything less than a spectacular offer. That being said, Smyth is probably more valuable to the Oilers than to another team. By comparison, I think Saku Koivu's leadership, and heart is worth to the Habs than if he was traded to another team.

1) The Oilers are looking for a goaltender who can play NEXT year, and young. Garon fits the deal. If the Canadiens are really wanting a backup in case Theodore gets injured, Salo could very easily be a throw-in. (32 yo with two option years or UFA. He has NOT had a very good year this year).

2) The Oilers are also looking for a large centre prospect (1st/2nd line) who could play NEXT year. Plekanec is too small (at 5'10) and he's been described as a Steve Sullivan type. Lowe was really unhappy with his 1-2 centres being Mike York and Mike Comrie and I doubt that he would trade for Plekanec for the same reason. Hossa has the right size but he plays LW (which the Oilers have plenty of). On the HockeyFutures site, they describe him as a "stagnant" prospect, that doesn't sound like one who would make the Oilers team next year (assuming there's hockey). I'm not sure that the Canadiens have an large top two line centre prospect fitting the description.

3) PP quarterback defender. This is very much a third option. Top two line Centreman with size and goalie are much higher on the priority list. Hainsey sounds like a nice option but he's a risky prospect considering his injury history over the past two years and the "Stagnant" title applied to him by Hockeyfutures.

Its possible that a Smyth trade is doable but Garon - Hainsey for Smyth is not bad value-wise but I'm not sure it falls into the "spectacular" which would force Lowe's hand. Smyth has a two year contract, 3.45 and 3.55 million, which the Oilers could afford so it is not a salary dump.

Old
02-12-2004, 11:33 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69

2) The Oilers are also looking for a large centre prospect (1st/2nd line) who could play NEXT year. Plekanec is too small (at 5'10) and he's been described as a Steve Sullivan type. Lowe was really unhappy with his 1-2 centres being Mike York and Mike Comrie and I doubt that he would trade for Plekanec for the same reason. Hossa has the right size but he plays LW (which the Oilers have plenty of). On the HockeyFutures site, they describe him as a "stagnant" prospect, that doesn't sound like one who would make the Oilers team next year (assuming there's hockey). I'm not sure that the Canadiens have an large top two line centre prospect fitting the description.

3) PP quarterback defender. This is very much a third option. Top two line Centreman with size and goalie are much higher on the priority list. Hainsey sounds like a nice option but he's a risky prospect considering his injury history over the past two years and the "Stagnant" title applied to him by Hockeyfutures.

Its possible that a Smyth trade is doable but Garon - Hainsey for Smyth is not bad value-wise but I'm not sure it falls into the "spectacular" which would force Lowe's hand. Smyth has a two year contract, 3.45 and 3.55 million, which the Oilers could afford so it is not a salary dump.
Hossa is a natural center .I don't think that nhl gm read the HockeyFutures articles .Anyway since the farm team was the one of both Montreal and Edmonton last year , i think that your staff know what Hossa can brings to the team.

Old
02-13-2004, 12:15 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaherdin
I heard on sportsnet yeasterday (i hope someone heard the same) tha the Oilers would maybe trade Smyth to shake things up, and that the Habs were interested. Smyth is playing not so great with oilers right now (bad penalties). What do you think the habs could give up to have him. Smyth with Sak and Ryder..would be great or with Zednik and Ribs. I think he is the kind of guy (with a lot of heart) the habs want, a true leader.

Why not: Hainsey and Hossa (maybe something more) for Smyth?
I would trade them Zednik for Smyth. I love that guy. Tons of heart and grit and hustle. Never takes a shift off.

Closed Thread