HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Coaching Tips

Old
04-23-2008, 01:41 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

vCash: 500
Coaching Tips

im going to be an assistant coach on a varsity high school team. any tips on running practices? i mean ive been in practices several times but ive never coached one. any advice on drills. breakout drills, passing, defensive positioning drills or anything like that. thanks

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 03:50 AM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
Have you ever coached before at a lower level?

If not, I would highly recommend buying a book on the subject. I own a small book called "Hockey Drill Book" by Michael A. Smith (ISBN 1-55209-066-3) with a huge amount of material on preparing your team.

The drills in the book all focus on one key area in their basic form (skating, stickhandling, passing, conditioning, checking, etc..) but the later drills combine two or more elements into a complex drill that'll have your team sweating. I'd recommend checking it, or something similar, out.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 04:17 AM
droller*

since it's a varsity high school team, i'm going to assume they are decent players. how long do you expect the practices to be?

IMO, it's very good to have a fast paced practice. keeps everyone on the ball and moving. what i mean...

FLOW drills! especially at the start. run drills that will basically run themselves once they get going... something that will involve a making/receiving a pass on the move, and a shot on net. cycle drills are also good for this.

to begin the practice, i think doing a quick moving passing drill is the most effective. it gets everyone's head in the practice, gets them moving and making quick passes to each other. spend the 1st 5-10 minutes on quick flow passing drills.

after a quick warmup, have your boys spend a few minutes to stretch out.

doing flow/passing drills will do wonders for a squad as they grow with each other. it will lead to being more comfortable with the puck, increase their ability to make/receive a pass. you will see improvements in your teams breakout and transition game.

near the end of practice... it's perfectly OK to slow it down. This is your chance to work on "team" things. Breakout, D coverage, powerplay, PK, etc.

i'm pretty big on a conditioned hockey team as well. regardless of drill, have them skate a quick 2 laps after each drill. DONT LET THEM CHEAT. they gotta go behind the net!

having them go for a cool down jog and stretch is also a good idea... it's a good habit to get into as these boys get older.

I don't have any coaching experience. Just played a lot of higher level hockey and found this kind of guideline to be most effective.

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

thanks for the tips guys,

its a one hour session for once a week. we dont have much ice time because theres only one rink withing 50 miles and teh school doesnt pay for the ice time

Old
04-23-2008, 05:08 PM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

Break out drills

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Nosebleed Section

With coaches I think haveing some structure to practice is good. Like have a rough format of what you do every practice. For example I had a coach where every practice it would be a couple laps then stretch it out. Then some form of skating sometimes hard skating sometimes just light. Then go onto flow drills practicing stick handling and passing. Then finish off practice with team drills such as powerplay and breakouts.
Same basic kind of stuff Droller was saying.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 07:29 PM
RealTalk

vCash: 50
After a loss dont tell a player "You lost it for us" because he might come back with a "You lost it for yourself"

RealTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 08:27 PM
MG91

Wait for Head Coach, hes got the tips for all this stuff.

But, I would personally work on breakout, defensive zone coverage and special teams.

And lots of skating to keep that cardio up.

MG91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
After a loss dont tell a player "You lost it for us" because he might come back with a "You lost it for yourself"

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
Quote:
hahahahahhahahaa

you just made me nostalgic

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:

nice, very nice

thanks again guys.

i guess i have to figure out what kind of system we would play. i know these kids and none of the forwards want to play defense so maybe i will make them

Old
04-23-2008, 10:19 PM
lemieux32*

If you are an assistant coach you will be helping the head coach. You might run a drill or give instruction but the head coach should be planning practices. He should also be the one making the final decision on systems of play, breakouts, forechecks, etc. It sounds like you think you are going to be doing a lot more then just be an assistant.

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieux32 View Post
If you are an assistant coach you will be helping the head coach. You might run a drill or give instruction but the head coach should be planning practices. He should also be the one making the final decision on systems of play, breakouts, forechecks, etc. It sounds like you think you are going to be doing a lot more then just be an assistant.
no i realize taht but we really are going to be making final decisions together

Old
04-23-2008, 11:52 PM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

Punish slacking with suicides or bag skating.

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 12:49 AM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Build an ice ramp and see how many kids you can jump. I can jump 7.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Don't take crap from players. Don't let them miss practice for stupid stuff. Don't let them be late on the ice. Don't let them screw around during drills. That stuff drives me up the wall.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 03:33 AM
OilerNut*

Hour long St. Louis drill and see how long the goalie can last.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
It really depends on what your teams' strength and weaknesses are. Most important thing from the beginning is shut down attitudes as you see them come up, they can pretty much kill your team and make a year that could have been fun, really, really bad.

If none of your forwards want to play D, then you and the head coach make them do all PK drills until they shut up.

It really depends on your team and how you want them to look. But I'd recommend not having shinny games in any practices because only the strongest players get the puck and some people won't really try, it's a waste of time. Some coaches like to do that to "reward" the team, and I just think it's not worth it.

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 03:11 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

http://www.jes-hockey.com/

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
im going to be an assistant coach on a varsity high school team. any tips on running practices? i mean ive been in practices several times but ive never coached one. any advice on drills. breakout drills, passing, defensive positioning drills or anything like that. thanks
Here you go...
http://www.passthepuck.net

Coaching Tips.....
http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...splay.php?f=67

Hope this helps
Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote