HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT-Giants Draft

Old
04-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Cherepanisimov

vCash: 500
OT-Giants Draft

i didnt get to see it, who did they pick, and how do you think they did so far

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 09:46 PM
Gardner McKay
The NYR get...

vCash: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
i didnt get to see it, who did they pick, and how do you think they did so far
And the jets if any one does not mind.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 09:57 PM
FrolundasFinest

Giants got Phillips (S, Miami) and Thomas (CB, USC)

I am a huge Giants fan, and I think this is a good draft for us, Phillips is going to be a pretty good talent, reminds me a lot of Webster's story: Top 10 talent, gets injured, falls into our laps. ESPN says that Thomas is alright. I was not too happy with this pick, because Connor the LB from Penn State was still on the board and people were thinking that we might get him in the first round but whatever. Things seemed to go well for the G-Men today.

Jets got Gholston (DE, Ohio State) and Keller (TE, Purdue)

I follow the Jets to know that Gholston is going to be something special for them. He is a beast off the end and is going to make the Mangenius look even better. I question the Keller pick because he is a good receiver, but they traded back into the first round to get him when they probably could have waited.

That's just my two cents though.

FrolundasFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 09:57 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Giants

1st Rd. (31) - Kenny Phillips S from Miami
Solid pickup, shores up the Saftey position after losing Gibril. He's a ball hawk and a hard hitter, a good pickup.

2nd Rd. (63) - Terrell Thomas CB from USC
Adds nice depth to the secondary, another ball hawk who also likes to blitz - he should fit in nicely in Spags' system. A bit of a reach, the knock against him is that he's injury prone.

Jets

1st Rd. (6) Vernon Gholston DE from OSU
Gholston is an absolute monster physically, he put up 37 reps (of 225 lbs) benching at the combine. He is OSU's all time sack leader and had only been playing football since his sophomore year in HS. He will only get better from here, a great pick.

1st Rd. (31) - Dustin Keller DE from Purdue
The Jets traded their 2nd round pick to move up and grab what many analysts saw as the best TE in the draft.

04-26-2008, 09:58 PM
sattar18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubinsky4Calder08 View Post
And the jets if any one does not mind.
jets took Vernon Gholston with the 6th pick, Boom/bust type of player, but does not project to be OLB in the NFL mainly cause he cant cover, hopefully he practices at it and gets better.

Then the jets traded up back into the 1st round, and drafted TE Dustin Keller. Let me put it one way, he is a beast. He will either run by you if your a LB/S or run over you if your a CB. I would say he projects as a faster dallas clark.

Good draft by the jets.

sattar18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 09:59 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I've soured a lot on Connor, so I'm glad we passed over him in the 2nd. Though I would like to move up in the 3rd for him possibly.

Like the Thomas pick a lot. He was a big-time sleeper of mine.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 09:59 PM
sattar18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrolundasFinest View Post
Giants got Phillips (S, Miami) and Thomas (CB, USC)

I am a huge Giants fan, and I think this is a good draft for us, Phillips is going to be a pretty good talent, reminds me a lot of Webster's story: Top 10 talent, gets injured, falls into our laps. ESPN says that Thomas is alright. I was not too happy with this pick, because Connor the LB from Penn State was still on the board and people were thinking that we might get him in the first round but whatever. Things seemed to go well for the G-Men today.

Jets got Gholston (DE, Ohio State) and Keller (TE, Purdue)

I follow the Jets to know that Gholston is going to be something special for them. He is a beast off the end and is going to make the Mangenius look even better. I question the Keller pick because he is a good receiver, but they traded back into the first round to get him when they probably could have waited.

That's just my two cents though.
their where many rumors that said the giants would take him with the 31st pick.

Old
04-26-2008, 10:00 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattar18 View Post
jets took Vernon Gholston with the 6th pick, Boom/bust type of player, but does not project to be OLB in the NFL mainly cause he cant cover, hopefully he practices at it and gets better.

Then the jets traded up back into the 1st round, and drafted TE Dustin Keller. Let me put it one way, he is a beast. He will either run by you if your a LB/S or run over you if your a CB. I would say he projects as a faster dallas clark.

Good draft by the jets.

Keller needs to improve his hands to be a Dallas Clark. He also can't block for ****.

Old
04-26-2008, 10:01 PM
FrolundasFinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattar18 View Post
their where many rumors that said the giants would take him with the 31st pick.
I didn't hear any of those, but I don't see why they would...unless they were going to get rid of Shockey first. The last thing the Giants need is a TE, especially if they kept Shockey.

Old
04-26-2008, 10:05 PM
sattar18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Keller needs to improve his hands to be a Dallas Clark. He also can't block for ****.
yea agree on both counts, i think they will use him in the Slot alot like the colts do with clark, but like i said alot of potential with him.

Old
04-26-2008, 11:12 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
I have tremendous faith in Jerry Reese (how can you not seeing all the players from last year's draft contribute in the SB run). I don't know a lot about the players selected, especially Thomas, but i'm sure they know what they're doing. Surprised Shockey wasn't moved today. it'll be interesting to see how he is used next season if he isn't dealt...

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 11:20 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
I have tremendous faith in Jerry Reese (how can you not seeing all the players from last year's draft contribute in the SB run). I don't know a lot about the players selected, especially Thomas, but i'm sure they know what they're doing. Surprised Shockey wasn't moved today. it'll be interesting to see how he is used next season if he isn't dealt...
That was my perspective as well. I really wanted Connor in Rnd. 2 but I figure that I'd give JR and his staff the benefit of the doubt after last year.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I like the pics. Our secondary needed a serious upgrade, and I think this is it. Worried about the health of the second pick, but apparently the Giants training staff gave him the thumbs up.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 11:39 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I like the pics. Our secondary needed a serious upgrade, and I think this is it. Worried about the health of the second pick, but apparently the Giants training staff gave him the thumbs up.
He's a steal that low. We got Corey Webster the same way (injury concerns).

Webster took a LONG time to develop in my eyes, but I liked his game a lot in the playoffs.

We'll see if Thomas can do well in our system. I think he will.

Very happy with our draft today.

Old
04-27-2008, 01:20 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
...Surprised Shockey wasn't moved today. it'll be interesting to see how he is used next season if he isn't dealt...
Not a Giant hater, but Shockey is one of the most over-rated Giants of alltime...it's actually sickening. Him and Jason Seahorn should go live together (jason did get angie harmon though)

Last edited by frozenrubber: 04-27-2008 at 01:29 AM.
frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 02:33 AM
Islanders4life39

Send a message via MSN to Islanders4life39
I'm surprised Danno hasn't seen this yet.

Considering we had picks 31 and 63, it was defiantly a good 2 rounds I'd say. With the departure of Gibril Wilson who was really getting it down. I was very disappointed to see him go. So I think Phillips was the right choice. Seems like the kind of guy who could fit in back there. And a cornerback really helps. Madison may still have gas left in the tank but he is getting old. With the improved Webster, Ross, Madison in the secondary it is defiantly a big help. We need to get some depth in linebackers. Was ashame to see Mitchell go. I thought he fit in our defensive system nicely. Also lost Torbor who I thought looked solid while out there. We need some sort of linebacker now. Also heard of Shockey getting traded. As much as I love him, he is one of my favorite players I love how he plays. If he doesn't come with an attitude change, he is better off leaving. He wants more passes, less blocking. Manning produced very well without him because he did not feel the pressure to through it to Shockey every time and try to force an unnecessary pass in the middle of the field to be picked off. So Eli stepped it up and looking for anyone. He didn't feel the pressure to HAVE to get the ball to a certain guy. Boss was very solid. Only his 1st year too and he had some big plays. Our whole draft class last year came up big. Smith coming back from injury had a great post season besides the tipped interception.

Bradshaw, 7th round pick? pfft man he is great. The heart, speed and strength he has is great. I'd see him as one of our split backs next year. Will be interesting how the Giants handle 3 backs. Ward, Jacobs and Bradshaw. I'd really like to see Bradshaw getting the majority of carries. Just brings so much energy and explosiveness to the team. But Ward a guy who was on the practice squad on the Jets, 3rd string, KR a few years ago for the Giants. Last year proved he can be a top back in this league. Man can he burst free. And Jacobs just has that power. He can really barrel through for some big yards. And Droughns will never see another carry again.

Islanders4life39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 02:36 AM
Islanders4life39

Send a message via MSN to Islanders4life39
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Not a Giant hater, but Shockey is one of the most over-rated Giants of alltime...it's actually sickening. Him and Jason Seahorn should go live together (jason did get angie harmon though)
Not true, he has put up some great numbers for when he plays. The problem with Shockey is he is injury prone. He gives it his all during the season and then gets hurt. He puts up the numbers, brings energy he just can't finish a season. That is the only reason I can imagine him being over rated.

Jason Sehorn, the last white conerback that lived in the shadows of the NFL.

Islanders4life39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 02:54 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I've soured a lot on Connor, so I'm glad we passed over him in the 2nd. Though I would like to move up in the 3rd for him possibly.
Any reason why? Meaning, there's nothing that he does wrong besides the measurables... he's a bit undersized, but his football skills and sense of the game are insanely good. What has changed your mind lately about him? Couldn't be that bad if you want to move up for him in the third, though

The Bills are fine at LB with Poz getting healthy, Crowell coming back, and Kawika Mitchell being added, yet I'd still love to see them take Connor in the third. He's a football player with a great head on his shoulders.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

I'm happy with the Giants picks yesterday although I still think they need to add an OLB in the next round. Maybe they can move up to take Connor.
As far as the Jets luck was not on their side again. If they had lost that last game of the year vs. the Chiefs they would have had the 3rd pick in the draft and could have had the QB from Boston College or Darren McFadden but it wasn't meant to be again. Sure Vernon Gholston might turn out to be a player but the Jets got screwed in the draft again.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Hemlawk86

Jets dont utilize the TE. Im pissed the Jets didnt pick a good Qb.....
I hate being a Jets fan.

Hemlawk86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 10:19 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I love the Phillips pick..he was the guy I wanted all along. I have no doubts that he is going to make the loss of Gibril very, very easy to get over (not like I was exactly devastated to begin with..you'd have to be senile to give him a deal like that...oh wait)

I too was a fan of Connor, especially with the Giants losing Torbor and Mitchell, but I have complete faith in Jerry to sure up the linebacking cores on day 2.

The Thomas move was decent, it's always good to have depth in the secondary especially since Madison, Knight and McQuarters are all well into their 30s. It sounds like he's a ball-hawk and I always like to have those guys on my team.

Today we definitely need to draft a LB, I would also say take a receiver in one of the first couple of picks and maybe some OL depth.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 11:00 AM
SouvenirCity

I'm thinking also Coughlin has some faith in using Zach De'Ossie next year.

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 11:10 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Rangers are in the playoffs and you guys are talking Football.......

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 11:12 AM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
How can I get your picture in your signature!

04-27-2008, 11:21 AM
FrolundasFinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
It takes the focus off of the pain of losing the other night...not to mention it also takes away the jitters for later today.