HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery / Fleury Incident and the refs

Old
04-27-2008, 03:47 PM
LIRoyals7794

vCash: 500
Avery / Fleury Incident and the refs

Why do they not rip on M-A Fleuery for putting his stick and wacking Avery in the legs? But instead they start talking about Avery about what he did back. If it was Avery who started the scrum the news would be around the world about how cocky Avery is, which he is not.

Why is there a ref behind the net blowing the whistle when were he is standing the puck is clearly lose?

LIRoyals7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Devils Mike*

Send a message via MSN to Devils Mike*
Avery was slashing his legs first so Fleury decided to slash back and then that's how it started. It basically ended with Avery turtling and running to the boards yelling HELP ME REF when Gill dropped the gloves.

Devils Mike* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 03:56 PM
psu711

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRoyals7794 View Post
Why do they not rip on M-A Fleuery for putting his stick and wacking Avery in the legs? But instead they start talking about Avery about what he did back. If it was Avery who started the scrum the news would be around the world about how cocky Avery is, which he is not.

Why is there a ref behind the net blowing the whistle when were he is standing the puck is clearly lose?
Bc if you watched the extended replay that NBC showed Avery chopped at fleuery while play was still going on and as soon as the game was over Fleuery paid him back one.

Maybe Avery should have been trying to set up a screen or tip a puck instead of having his usual focus of putting wood in someone.

psu711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome1612 View Post
Avery was slashing his legs first so Fleury decided to slash back and then that's how it started. It basically ended with Avery turtling and running to the boards yelling HELP ME REF when Gill dropped the gloves.
Obviously you have a different opinion of 'turtling' than I do.

I could've sworn I saw Avery swinging at Gill before Laraque came over and tackled him into the boards. But hey, taking on two guys twice your size still makes you a *****, right? Just go away already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psu711 View Post
Bc if you watched the extended replay that NBC showed Avery chopped at fleuery while play was still going on and as soon as the game was over Fleuery paid him back one.

Maybe Avery should have been trying to set up a screen or tip a puck instead of having his usual focus of putting wood in someone.
This thread is obviously troll bait.. time to lock it.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome1612 View Post
Somebody is still a little sore about the first round..

But something should be down with that, and it will prob be Avery and no one else.

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Balej20*

Quote:

And if you actually look at the ENTIRE play instead of what you want to look at, you would see Fleury stick Avery in the balls before anything happened. And then the two tough guys on Pittsburgh attack Avery.

Bottom line, the Penguins can do WHATEVER they want, WHENEVER they want, HOWEVER they want, because the league wants them to win.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 03:58 PM
mrhockey193195

Isn't that a 3rd-man-in for Laraque, waranting a misconduct and potentially a 1-game-suspension?

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 04:00 PM
longey775*

Send a message via AIM to longey775*
no mr hockey cause there was no fight going on... so keep looking for excuses

longey775* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 04:01 PM
psu711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
And if you actually look at the ENTIRE play instead of what you want to look at, you would see Fleury stick Avery in the balls before anything happened. And then the two tough guys on Pittsburgh attack Avery.

Bottom line, the Penguins can do WHATEVER they want, WHENEVER they want, HOWEVER they want, because the league wants them to win.
Read what i said. 20 seconds before any of that Avery came into the crease and chopped at Fleury before any of that took place.

Why even try to defend Avery? That is his game. Just like Rutuu. When Ruts pulls that ***** i dont try to defend it bc i dont think that shoul pe part of the game.

Old
04-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
Isn't that a 3rd-man-in for Laraque, waranting a misconduct and potentially a 1-game-suspension?
Should be, but this is the Pittsburgh Penguins we are talking about. They can do whatever they want.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Considering only one player actually threw their gloves down...keep trying. That wasn't even a fight.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 04:05 PM
psu711

Quote:
I thought new rules said anyone dropping gloves in the last 2 minutes got to sit for the next game?

Not sure what the rule is?

But Laraque wasnt close to being a third man.. He was just standing there trying to pull people apart like the 5 other players were.

Old
04-27-2008, 04:05 PM
PitthockeyFan

I saw Avery slash Fleury while the play was still going,
then Fleury spear/slash Avery. This was cleary shown on the extended replay. Then Gill and Laraque came at Avery.

Fact is, Avery is just trying to get in the goalie's head
like he did Brodeur.

It's a smart, although somewhat classless play by Avery, to get MAF off his game a bit going into Game 3.

However, I am sure the Pens will make every effort to push towards Lundqvist as a result. Everyone on the Pens will know about it.

If the Pens win the series, Avery's antics will be forgotten, if the Rangers come back to win, it will likely be seen as a turning point in the series.

Overall a great play by Avery, but really on the edge.

PitthockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 04:08 PM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
Considering only one player actually threw their gloves down...keep trying. That wasn't even a fight.
Clearly, I will keep trying, because I wasn't trying hard enough before.

Why is it that when someone asks a question about the rules, it's immediately assumed that he/she is trying to make excuses for their team? I'm sorry that I'm not as smart as you guys are, but I didn't know whether or not that was a third-man-in situation, and thus asked if it was.

Old
04-27-2008, 04:09 PM
LIRoyals7794

This is also the second time in two series M-A Fleury wacked a stick between someones legs and give them a Harry Potter.

LIRoyals7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 04:10 PM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
I thought new rules said anyone dropping gloves in the last 2 minutes got to sit for the next game?

Not sure what the rule is?

But Laraque wasnt close to being a third man.. He was just standing there trying to pull people apart like the 5 other players were.
I actually vaguely remember hearing somethign about that "no fighting in the last ____ minutes of a game." I've definitely never seen it enforced, b/c there have been several fights towards the ends of games that have gone unpunished.

If they do enforce it (and if the rule does actually exist?) then I guess we won't be seeing Avery or Gill.

Old
04-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
wow i love how when we lose to pittsburgh, we get so lucky to be invaded by there trolls
Some Pens fans are here to gloat, some are here to discuss. I'll take care of the former, please go easy on the latter.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Gardner McKay
The NYR get...

vCash: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Some Pens fans are here to gloat, some are here to discuss. I'll take care of the former, please go easy on the latter.
Good deal.

So we have now had a broken powerplay for an 82 game season and 1 playoff series and a half at the rate we are going.

Is it wrong of me to want to pull a Tony Soprano on whoever runs the Rangers PP?

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
I hate Avery and hope someone crushes his head, but he did nothing wrong here. He caught an underhand hack in the groin by Fleury, and to the sensitive area nonetheless.

Sorry Rangers fans welcome to the Pens and Sidney Crosby. You didn't see it all season during games with them like we did. I said it last night, that the refs did tell Brendan Witt to take it easy on him. At the time people though brendan witt was making it up, do you think so now? The only want to get to Sidney is play him like Witt did, and like Witt would play Jagr. I am not sure if you have any defenseman that play that style though.

Jagr looks like he came to play though, can't say that for the rest of the guys with the exception of the Drury line. Dubinsky was invisible today as was Avery except the last minute of the game. They need to change that for a shot to win.

Kvashinator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Firebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
You're really clinging to straws here.

Yeah, Ruutu's stick in the face was absolutely hilarious. What's wrong with it? How about the fact that it's now a rule BECAUSE of the Avery incident? Nothing illegal about it? I wonder what you would think of Avery putting his stick in Malkin or Crosby's face?

Keep trolling. You're doing wonders for my opinion of Pens fans.
No....the rule is in front of the goaltender. Unless they changed it a second time which I haven't heard of.................................

If Avery put his stuck in Crosby's or Malkins face (even though they are centers...) on a faceoff I'd laugh and I'm sure the players would too.

And seriously, lol, lets not get so upset here. I picked 2 threads that I thought, and still do, were iffy in their content.

Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 05:06 PM
JTG

I can sympathize with you Rangers fans. Fleury is becoming quite notorious for that little whack. Anyone who has played hockey and spent any time infront of another team's net realizes its hard enough to stand there with a defenseman beating the snot out of you, let alone having to worry about the family jewels getting a Sherwood smacked upside them. I didn't see what Avery did beforehand, but as far as I'm concerned that play is never OK no matter what another player did.

As far as the 2nd man in rule...come on now. No gloves were dropped...it was a bunch of face washing and **** talking. Move on from that.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I can sympathize with you Rangers fans. Fleury is becoming quite notorious for that little whack. Anyone who has played hockey and spent any time infront of another team's net realizes its hard enough to stand there with a defenseman beating the snot out of you, let alone having to worry about the family jewels getting a Sherwood smacked upside them. I didn't see what Avery did beforehand, but as far as I'm concerned that play is never OK no matter what another player did.

As far as the 2nd man in rule...come on now. No gloves were dropped...it was a bunch of face washing and **** talking. Move on from that.
Fleury has done it a lot this year. And I love it. Go ahead shanny, stand in the crease and take a shot to the balls the minute the puck goes down the other end and the refs stop looking.

Very even game, worried as hell though about MSG.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Anyone who calls that turtling on Avery's part is just being ridiculous. He got pushed backward by a guy who's nearly a foot taller and over 50 pounds heavier and didn't put his head down until Laraque and the ref came over and forced it down.
I guess Avery whacked MAF's legs before what they showed because I didn't see anything during this tape.

I did see Avery, while being pushed by Gill, come down on MAF's head with his stick. I guess he needs to be suspended for that now.

My one question is what was Ruutu doing on the ice at the Ranger end?

Jackson Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post

Incorrect, Gill dropped his gloves when he realized Laracque was there with him...

Jackson Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 05:28 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Incorrect, Gill dropped his gloves when he realized Laracque was there with him...
ok...no one who would actually fight dropped the gloves

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote