HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Trouble on defense

Old
04-28-2008, 01:06 AM
12 oz Papa*

vCash: 500
Trouble on defense

I've recently started to play roller hockey again and I've got a few things I need some tips on, if you'd all be so kind.

1. I have been having trouble pushing oncoming forward to the outside. They typically get around me with speed. I'm a very quick skater yet I continue to get caught flat-footed - what's my problem? Any tips?

2. I block a lot of shots. But sometimes, we get scored on because I miss the block, or try to block a pass and miss. Sure, a lot of these plays are 2 on 1 and I have to do something. I just hate feeling like every 5 shots I block, one goes in. Should I stop trying to block or stop trying to break up passes and rely more on positioning?

12 oz Papa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 06:26 AM
daveskirtun
:o)

1. What I do is try to form a 45 degree angle off of the opposing player and make myself bigger. As in, reach my stick out as far as I can and stretch my legs apart.

2. Depends what type of shots your blocking. A lot of goalies will tell you it pisses them off when you block shots because it screens them, but if it's a goal-saving block, go for it. And when a 2-on-1 approaches you, choose early which player you're going to commit to, that way the goalie can fix himself in on one of the players while you take care of the other. For instance, if you're covering the player without possession of the puck, the goalie can primarily focus on the player with the puck and vice versa.

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 06:56 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quit going all or nothing on blocking shots. Don't take yourself out of the play to block a shot, go down to one knee if you can. Only lay out if you know your D partner is back there to clean up any messes.

On 2 on 1s, always always always always always take the pass. Tell your goalie you'll take pass as default. Alot of players on 2 on 1s will try to force passes and that's where you can easily break them up. If you try to step up on a guy a quick little pass to the open man and he's got a mini breakaway and a pissed goalie.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote