HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rangers should avoid Hossa at all costs

Old
04-28-2008, 05:22 PM
wolves019

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gui101do View Post
Very feasible. Savvy and Hossa, the post-Atlanta connection!
+1

and Chara

wolves019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 06:45 PM
GratefulDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
true.

but culturally speaking, i feel you cannot compare somebody like Ovechkin to somebody like Hossa.

GratefulDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulDead View Post
Russians are NOT Europeans. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Then what the hell are we? "Untermen" savages, dumb beasts? The Rus has originated from the basin of the Dnieper river and throughout centuries of survival, defeats and triumphs has extended its dominion over Siberia to the Pacific.

That was one of the worst racist statements I've read here.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 07:40 PM
blandBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I don't think you can compare those types of players. Huselius brings something Malone or Clowe can't touch in the form of puck handling ability. Would Malone be a great addition to the team? Of course he would, but he won't fill the role that I think is more important, a sharp shooting winger for Gomez with the speed to keep up with him.
Huselius can blow you away with his scoring ability, but when he isn't with the right linemates (Iginla for example), he can pretty much disappear and go stone-cold. I like him more than Marian Hossa, though. He seems faster and sharper with the puck.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Ace2008

quick points

1--NYR do need a skilled puck control forward if they're not going to promote a top scorer from within then UFA is a decent way to do it

2]\ if the team can fill its other needs inexpensively then a short 2-3 yr deal is doable if the player doesn't have a ntc so the NYR could always trade the player in year 3 to clear cap space for promoting their own talent and get more depth through the draft.

3----Look outside of the box...Hossa is an explosive talent but...he's only 1 " and 8lbs bigger than Pascal Dupuis who has scored at least 20 goals before in the NHL and has versatility to play on both LW and RW as well as experience playing in NY. Straight up I like Dupuis more in terms of value and was upset that Sather didn't bring him back after the trade this past summer. I don't expect 40 goals from Pascal...but 20 seems reasonable and Marian only had 29 this past year , so....

5---

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
Then what the hell are we? "Untermen" savages, dumb beasts? The Rus has originated from the basin of the Dnieper river and throughout centuries of survival, defeats and triumphs has extended its dominion over Siberia to the Pacific.

It was incorrect. Why do you consider it racist?

Is calling someone non-European derogatory?

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Whaddagoal
Larsson Jailbreak.

I loved Hossa while he was a Thrasher (well, until he looked disinterested down the stretch to the deadline), but if you guys are shocked that Hossa gets a ton of chances but doesn't bury them, then you haven't watched him closely enough. The guy is an awesome when he has the puck, protects the puck beautifully (a bit like Jagr on the boards, but Hossa instead does it when he's driving to the net), speed, decent hands to freeze a goalie, and a nice wrister.... slapshot is ... decent..

But for some reason, he lacks the "real sniper mode" that you'd seemingly expect from the selection of skills that he has at his disposal. Maybe its because I have seen so much Kovalchuk, but Hossa would be completely unstoppable in this league if he could just bury his chances more often. He had a few glorious chances in game 2, but shot it predictably into Lundqvists chest. Those things you'd expect to reach the back of the net end up being routine saves or "just good chances". He's great at generating scoring chances, but the finish isn't there as much as you'd hope for.

Hossa is more reliable when he gets down low near the crease and has the space/time to work the goalie, or freeze him on a breakaway... I dunno if he'll be worth what he gets, but he better bring his 05-06 and 06-07 Thrasher seasons wherever he goes because he'll end up crumbling under the fan\team expecations otherwise....

Whaddagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Like in the movie Clash of the Titans? I think that was a helmet that made Harry Hamlin invisible in that movie though. I always enjoyed the robotic Owl in that movie.
Actually, I've never seen it. ha.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 10:51 PM
sattar18

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Hossa is a lot like Drury. If you arent paying attention, and he isnt scoring, its really easy to say hes invisible or sucking. if you follow the game closely though, and watch all the defensive plays, and the smart clears, and the perfect clogging up of lanes, etc that he brings to the game, BESIDES his offensive prowess, then you really see why hes such a valuable player to have on your team.

couldnt have said it better myself, the only thing with drury is he brings more leadership but hossa is a better goal scorer

sattar18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 10:58 PM
blandBob

maybe I'm not paying attention, because it would be hard to believe he has lost all that talent he has shown. but, wouldn't you agree that it's a bit of a shift for him to be classed as a Drury-like player? Nothing wrong with being a guy like Chris, but is that Marian Hossa is now?

Old
04-28-2008, 11:12 PM
GratefulDead

Quote:

you are straight up stupid if you consider my comment racist. can't help ya there bud.

Old
04-28-2008, 11:12 PM
GratefulDead

Quote:

you are straight up stupid if you consider my comment racist. can't help ya there bud.

Old
04-28-2008, 11:27 PM
blandBob

Quote:

Don't be angry, nobody was being racist. It is not a slight against you. Take it easy.
What is "Untermen"?

Last edited by blandBob: 04-28-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old
04-29-2008, 06:15 AM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulDead View Post
Then kindly explain yourself. Because "Russians are not Europeans" statement has been used by every European Russophobe as an excuse to commit atrocities against Russians. Starting with Charles XII of Sweden and most currently - Hitler. So, please kindly explain yourself.

Old
04-29-2008, 06:34 AM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueMahone View Post
Don't be angry, nobody was being racist. It is not a slight against you. Take it easy.
What is "Untermen"?
I'm not sure if I've spelled it correctly. German term for less than a human.

I'd like to contribute something.

One of the former Russian NHLers has said something that I find very remarkable. He said the main difference between the way the Russian and North American hockey players are groomed is winning. In Russia - skill and technique is emphasized in young player's training. In North America - winning is taught before skills. Now, that doesn't mean that North American hockey players are less skillful or Europeans are less hungry to win, but my personal belief is that a North American team is better built for a Stanley Cup run than a Euro-dominated one. Detroit is a prime example. Year in, year out they challenge for the President's Cup, but aren't quite reaching the Finals. In the international competition, no country has dominated the way the Soviets did, but that was a long time ago.

Old
04-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Hossa is a legit 1st line player and he needs someone to set him up. A Gomez would probably work well with him. I think RangerBoy is spot on about his playoff performances though. He is not able to up his level in the postseason. Playing with maybe the best center in the league--he is just not a difference maker. Someone I suspect is going to give him $7 mil or more for a number of years. I don't think it would be a good idea for us. If Jagr leaves though we are going to have to address that situation--it being difficult enough facing the likes of Malkin and Crosby right now with the talent we do have. Hossa does not seem to be the player who will close the gap.
He has one right now, and he still can't score to save his life.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:35 AM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Marian Hossa is softer than Charmin.He has been invisible in this series.The goal he scored in game 1 was a bank shot off the skate of Scott Gomez.His other goal in the playoffs against Ottawa was a tap in from the crease.Hossa was AWOL last April against the Rangers.His playoff performances suck.Some Ranger fans want Hossa this summer.No way.
Looks like Hossa made an impression eventually.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:12 AM
psu711

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
Looks like Hossa made an impression eventually.
Dont be fooled by his stat line...

I would love him as a role playing Sniper/ 2way dfender at 4mil, but not a superstar at 7-8mil/year.

I think he will screw himself with his next contract. If you get the big bucks people are going to expect superstar play (and that isnt being a nice 2way player). He has to finish (especially in the playoffs). And even with his goals yesterday he didnt finish on over 10 quality scoring chances in this series.

psu711 is offline   Reply With Quote