HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Clarke's attempt to turn our team into the Oakland Raiders of the NHL

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingflyer
Comrie had some other issues to deal with and Clarke did the right thing. Now lets talk about the help we got between the pipes.

Hopefully we'll see tonite...I know the people who didn't think Comrie got enough time will try to run Burke out after his first goal allowed...and of course call for Clarkies head......again. Just a shame we're playing as well as we are right now and all some people can do is complain. I mean, you play the game to win and give your team the best chance they have to win. Sometimes good young popular players have to be sacraficed. I don't think Clarkie made one of these trades this season without some doubt...he knows the risks, but he also realizes what can be gained by going deep into the playoffs. As far as Nittymaki goes, it's nice to have a light at the end of the tunnel, as far as youth in goal go.

Old
02-12-2004, 01:32 PM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
Just a shame we're playing as well as we are right now and all some people can do is complain.

What did I say?

Old
02-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli
What did I say?

Nothing that wasn't the truth...I think all you did was agree on something that was totally true. You're not so negative after all.

Old
02-12-2004, 02:25 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
if you want to compare Comrie to anyone, compare him to his former team mate Mike York, not exactly a big kid but he can skate. He is not a eastern conf. type player. so the Rags ship him out west and he is playing well. Same idea. Some people are going to look purely the numbers. Same as with Justin Williams who i believe is on the 2nd line in Carolina. Comrie is i believe on the 2nd line on Phoenix.
I have said this before in a earlier thread. We are a better team then we were before the all-star break right now.

Old
02-12-2004, 03:44 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous
Well, there you go then.

HEY GUYS!, We can all stop watching now, the Flyers suck. Let's get on the crybaby bandwagon while there's still room.
Or we can want change, which is clearing what even a complete moron can see is the true intent of the people speaking their minds on the thread.

Liquidrage summed it up very nicely. Clarke has been able to know what types of Vets to get, but we clearly won't be legitimate Stanley Cup contenders when it comes playoff time on a regular basis with the system we've tried pretty much ever since the SCF run we had in '97.

Name me one franchise who has been very successful and won Cups in the history of the NHL by completing building their team through trading for Veterans rather than building their own team from the bottom up.

Old
02-12-2004, 04:16 PM
anonymous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
Or we can want change, which is clearing what even a complete moron can see is the true intent of the people speaking their minds on the thread.

Liquidrage summed it up very nicely. Clarke has been able to know what types of Vets to get, but we clearly won't be legitimate Stanley Cup contenders when it comes playoff time on a regular basis with the system we've tried pretty much ever since the SCF run we had in '97.

Name me one franchise who has been very successful and won Cups in the history of the NHL by completing building their team through trading for Veterans rather than building their own team from the bottom up.
Changes have been made and some complain more now than before the trade without seeing how it turns out.

For someone who simply wants change why have you decided this season is already over?

How many players on Colorado or Detroit were brought up through their system? They've made plenty of trades for vets, same with Detroit.

Old
02-12-2004, 06:06 PM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Well, there you go then.

HEY GUYS!, We can all stop watching now, the Flyers suck. Let's get on the crybaby bandwagon while there's still room.
Nice try, but thankfully I don't fall for strawmen.

I guess according to you one should only bother watching the games if they feel their team is a cup favorite?

Nah, what it boils down to is you had no real reply so you posted a bunch of crap.

I bother watching because I care a great deal. I watch every game on Center Ice, I have 100's of posts in game-day threads alone at FlyersPhans. And I root for them just as hard as ANYONE. Just because my opinion is that we aren't an "A" team but a B or a B+ team, doesn't mean a damn thing as except that it's my opinion. It relates nothing to how much I care for the team or watching them.

BTW, If I listed the three best players for every cup winning team in the last 10 years the only one's that wouldn't be considered "homegrown" would be Hull and Roy.

Old
02-12-2004, 06:09 PM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Changes have been made and some complain more now than before the trade without seeing how it turns out.

For someone who simply wants change why have you decided this season is already over?

How many players on Colorado or Detroit were brought up through their system? They've made plenty of trades for vets, same with Detroit.
You missed the point. But after your last post I had to reply to, I'm not surprised.

There's nothing wrong with adding vets. There is something wrong with trying to win it with only trades and signings of vets. Detroit, NJ, Colorado and even Dallas had more homegrown talent on their rosters then we do. And most importantly, their best players were homegrown.

And don't even bother telling me that Forsberg wasn't drafted by the team. Use common sense. We didn't draft Comrie, but if we had kept him for 10 years you could say we developed him.

Old
02-12-2004, 06:11 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
BTW, If I listed the three best players for every cup winning team in the last 10 years the only one's that wouldn't be considered "homegrown" would be Hull and Roy.
You forgot Scott Stevens and Mark Messier.

Old
02-12-2004, 06:22 PM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
You forgot Scott Stevens and Mark Messier.
I forgot Stevens. I was starting with the Devil's though so I wasn't including Messier. But even if we did, the next two most important pieces were Richter and Leetch and they were homegrown.

And while Stevens wasn't homegrown, he was gotten in his 20's so his prime was spent with NJ.
Which is what my whole point has been. Rarely are great players in their prime allowed to switch teams. Teams hold onto them deerly. And you need a few of those to win a cup. So you have to at some point develop them.

Old
02-12-2004, 06:39 PM
anonymous*

Quote:
Nice try, but thankfully I don't fall for strawmen.

I guess according to you one should only bother watching the games if they feel their team is a cup favorite?

Nah, what it boils down to is you had no real reply so you posted a bunch of crap.

I bother watching because I care a great deal. I watch every game on Center Ice, I have 100's of posts in game-day threads alone at FlyersPhans. And I root for them just as hard as ANYONE. Just because my opinion is that we aren't an "A" team but a B or a B+ team, doesn't mean a damn thing as except that it's my opinion. It relates nothing to how much I care for the team or watching them.

You may not have liked my post, but at least you stopped crying. Job done.

Old
02-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
I forgot Stevens. I was starting with the Devil's though so I wasn't including Messier. But even if we did, the next two most important pieces were Richter and Leetch and they were homegrown.

And while Stevens wasn't homegrown, he was gotten in his 20's so his prime was spent with NJ.
Which is what my whole point has been. Rarely are great players in their prime allowed to switch teams. Teams hold onto them deerly. And you need a few of those to win a cup. So you have to at some point develop them.
Well, you did say 10 years, and ten years ago was the season the Rangers won. Regardless, I think it only solidifies your point--which is a very good one by the way--because they're all HOFers.

Old
02-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve

Detroit, Dallas to some degree Colorado

Old
02-12-2004, 10:09 PM
anonymous*

Quote:

Has Clarke traded away a Richter or Leetch? A Fedorov, an Yzerman or Lidstrom? How about a Sakic or Forsberg? A Brodeur or Stevens? A Modano or Hatcher?

Do you realize Detroit, Quebec/Colorado, New Jersey, and Dallas had some bad years that got them high draft picks before they became Champions? Florida will probably be the next dynasty with Luongo, Bowmeester(sp?), and Kozlov.

Old
02-12-2004, 10:14 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Do you realize Detroit, Quebec/Colorado, New Jersey, and Dallas had some bad years that got them high draft picks before they became Champions? Florida will probably be the next dynasty with Luongo, Bowmeester(sp?), and Kozlov.
Kozlov? They're trying to trade him now. Quebec/Colorado got a few of their picks and resources to get other players from the Lindros deal though.

Closed Thread