HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Jagr or Sakic

View Poll Results: Who do you consider the better player
Jagr 167 52.85%
Sakic 137 43.35%
You moron, this is dead even and a thread about this was already done 12 3.80%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-07-2008, 03:27 PM
The Big Swede

vCash: 500
Im not a big fan of Jagr but I do acknowledge that he had a brilliant career.

With that said,Ill take Sakic anytime before Jagr

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 04:53 PM
evgeni71

Sakic. Leadership + good skills anyday.

evgeni71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 02:10 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker316 View Post
This poll was preposterous due to the amount of bias involved here.

Leadership is a nice quality to have, but it takes a TEAM to win a cup. Sakic had a loaded team every time he won, with multiple leaders.

Shanahan was a great leader but he's no Jagr, and you wouldnt choose him above Jagr, rightfully so.

Leadership is really just a biased fans way of trying to amp their preferred players potential or value. You can have all the leadership qualities you want but still not win games if you dont have the skill on the team, or the desire shared among 20 other guys.

The main point to Hockey is winning by outscoring your opponent. You want more points, more goals, you go with Jagr, quite easily here. Jagr leads in the best way, on the ice.

I'm tired of the argument about what a player has won or done in the playoffs, when this is a TEAM sport. Mario could be playing on Columbus and he'd never make the playoffs, yet he'd still be the one player everyone wants on their team, and the best player in the league.

Jaromir is and was a better and more talented player than Sakic. I love Joe but hey, face facts and look and what they've done and how they played.

You think Sakic could have done any better on those Pens teams of the latter 90's? F no.
Absolute silliness. Anyone who's watched the Stanley Cup playoffs before, knows how huge leadership is. It is not just some quality that people speak to in order to make their players look better, it is a living breathing entity that should be readily apparent to anyone who's watched the Stanley Cup playoffs.

06-10-2008, 02:13 AM
MG91

Sakic is an icon and one helluva player. Nothing against Jagr, but you cant beat GI JOE

MG91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 02:42 AM
Nordic*

How does Sakic have 40+ %

If this isn't Northamerican bias, I don't know what is.

Jagr should win this, it's not even kinda close.

Jagr is one of the best players ever, Sakic is not.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Turambar

Jagr, and it's not close.

The pro-North American and anti-Jagr bias is really showing through in this one. What a joke.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 12:05 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
If Sakic is allowed to bribe the scorekeepers like usual, then his best still falls short of Jagr.

Secondary Sakic is a criminal and a disgrace. Jaromir Jagr is an unrivalled offensive force.
Aren't you the one who said that Sakic somewhere between Brandan Morrison and Yashin?

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Danrik
It is what it is.

vCash: 138
I'd take Sakic in a heartbeat!

Danrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Reds4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
Jagr, and it's not close.

The pro-North American and anti-Jagr bias is really showing through in this one. What a joke.
Exactly my thoughts.
Jagr and Sakic played at the same time in the league and Jagr clearly outplayed Sakic.

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 09:57 PM
philthy mcnasty*

Jay Jay.

philthy mcnasty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 10:02 PM
WanderingCapsFan

Sakic, because he's the type of person I want on my team.

WanderingCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 12:55 AM
The Big Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
Exactly my thoughts.
Jagr and Sakic played at the same time in the league and Jagr clearly outplayed Sakic.
Id rather have a professional then a bum

Old
06-12-2008, 02:30 AM
backs4mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent View Post
Thank you, thank you very much. That is a rare voice of reason. Half of the time when I read "leadership" in this forum I have the picture of this inspiration guy ion my head pulling a more than ridicolous speech. I mean, would anyone ever fall for that? I know I wouldn't and neither would anyone with half a brain left. Leading is always leading by example, and if you only have one guy on your team doing that, you are in trouble. The rest is the coaches job. And if you have Jagr's points, how can you doubt that he was leading by example? On the other hand, put a guy like Sakic on a really weak team that has no shots at anything and I wonder how much of his leadership is still there. Even Yzerman was considered bad and was on the verge of being traded. Then, a good team is assembled in Detroit and the rest is history.
Because with all that size, natural talent, skill, skating and strength, he could of been much, much more. You put Sakic's heart and desire in Jagr and you have a perennial 160+ point player. You put Jagr's "heart" and "desire" in Sakic, and he doesn't have a 100 point season, and struggles for 90 points.

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 02:35 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montral Shadow View Post
People are talking like Jagr sucks in playoffs when Sakic is not much better than him in the post season.
And people are talking like Sakic can't hack it with Jagr's amazing "ability to take over games" nonsense. Even with five Art Ross Trophies Jagr has still only averaged one more point per twenty games in his career than Sakic has.

EDIT: Just realized this post is a month old, now I feel stupid

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 02:41 AM
boredmale

Jagr was a better play but Sakic a better player to build a team around

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 02:47 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Jagr is more talented and more gifted with size and athleticism, but as a hockey player I'd take Joe Sakic.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 04:25 AM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Joe Sakic.

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

I can't believe how close this is. I don't know what people have against Jagr but he was just so much better than Sakic. Sure at times he might have only played at 80%, but Jagr at 80% was still better than Sakic at 100%.

Was there ever a period of 2-3 years where you could say that Sakic was the best player in the world?

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 05:48 PM
The Big Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
I can't believe how close this is. I don't know what people have against Jagr but he was just so much better than Sakic. Sure at times he might have only played at 80%, but Jagr at 80% was still better than Sakic at 100%.

Was there ever a period of 2-3 years where you could say that Sakic was the best player in the world?
Sakic=playoffs

Thank you

Old
06-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
Im not a big fan of Jagr but I do acknowledge that he had a brilliant career.

With that said,Ill take Sakic anytime before Jagr
by pretty much any measure Jagr was a betetr player than Sakic.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
Sakic=playoffs

Thank you
where he does not have an edge over Jagr.

Old
06-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
And people are talking like Sakic can't hack it with Jagr's amazing "ability to take over games" nonsense. Even with five Art Ross Trophies Jagr has still only averaged one more point per twenty games in his career than Sakic has.

EDIT: Just realized this post is a month old, now I feel stupid
the problem with this is, Sakic had the luxury of playing the early part of his prime in a higher scoring era, and Sakic has not once had to carry a poor team. In fact, the one time he had to his team missed the playoffs. Jagr had the nearly unmatched ability to take a lousy team like the 1998 Penguins to first place. In 10-15 years when Jagr and Sakic are long gone people will realize that Jagr was far and away the better player.

Old
06-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Jagr

Hart Trophy - 1999
Finalist: 1995, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2006
Art Ross Trophy - 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
Lester B. Pearson Award - 1999, 2000, 2006
NHL First Team All-Star - 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2006
NHL Second Team All-Star - 1997
NHL All-Rookie Team - 1991
Most consecutive 70+point seasons
Most consecutive 30+goal seasons
Tied for most all time overtime goals
Highest season 149 points 62 goals, 87 assists

Sakic

Bud Light Plus/Minus Award 2001
Conn Smythe Trophy 1996
Hart Memorial Trophy 2001
Lady Byng Memorial Trophy 2001
Lester B. Pearson Award 2001
NHL First All-Star Team 2001, 2002, 2004
High of 120 most goals 54 most assists 69

Im not the least bit shocked by the fact that people are voting Sakic because of the huge anti Jagr bias on this forum, for all the leadership lovers is it really enough to compensate for an additional 2 pearsons all the art rosses the numerous years of being a Hart finalist. Jagr carried Pens teams that were absolutely horrible into the playoffs year after year, Jags also a hell of a good leader in Pittsburgh before the meltdown. Jagr gets so much crap on this forum its disgusting, people refer to him as soft but obviously didnt see when he was playing with what amounted to one arm in the playoffs, 99 against the Devils Jagr misses games 2-5 with a groin injury comes in and scores the game tieing and overtime winning goals in game 6. 155 points in 149 playoff games so lets not here any crap about how Sakic is such a great playoff performer because Jagr is aswell while ofcourse Sakics playoff numbers are a little better A the difference isnt enough to make a big deal of B Sakic spent more time with better linemates.. Jagr was regularly considered the premier player in the world, when did Sakic ever have that honor? not nearly as consistently as Jagr. However Sakic will continue to get the nice guy/leadership/Canadian/anyone but Jagr votes ignoring that Jagr is one of the greatest of all time.
You know what, you can throw your awards right out the back ****ing door. How many teams has Jagr captained to a Stanley Cup? Joe Sakic has always been one of the most under rated superstars in the game.
I'd also like to add Sakic holds the record for O.T. goals in the playoffs at 8. Give me a guy that has the skills, the leadership and scores the clutch goals in the playoffs over some guy that's won multiple Art Ross trophy's any day of the week.

Last edited by Scottkmlps: 06-13-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Scottkmlps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 06:45 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
the problem with this is, Sakic had the luxury of playing the early part of his prime in a higher scoring era, and Sakic has not once had to carry a poor team. In fact, the one time he had to his team missed the playoffs. Jagr had the nearly unmatched ability to take a lousy team like the 1998 Penguins to first place. In 10-15 years when Jagr and Sakic are long gone people will realize that Jagr was far and away the better player.
Why are you still playing this schtick? Sakic spent five years on a last place Nords team that was so bad they had three consecutive first-overall draft picks. In spite of his team's godawfulness Sakic only scored less than 92 points in his rookie year and the lockout-shortened season. Compare that to Jagr's Penguins of the 90s that had Mario (occasionally), Francis, Nedved, Kovalev, Kasparitius, Lang when he didn't suck, Straka, Barrasso (who is basically better than any Nords goaltender ever) and cut the crap like Jagr has been playing on the 74 Captials.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Sakic's prime was in the 90's, the same era that Jagr was in his prime.

Scottkmlps is online now   Reply With Quote