HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Sather gets FIRED tommarrow...

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Potter

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Potter
So Sather gets FIRED tommarrow...

and what do you know it, they picked me to be GM. Now what I'm going to do is give you all a list of decisions I would make between now and the first day of training camp. (assuming the league plays next season and all my trades went down)

before trade deadline:
-Put Renney and O'Reilly behind the bench
-Trade Poti and Ruchinsky to anybody for a solid prospect (Toronto's Jay Harrison, Ottowa's Igor Mirnov, or maybe the Sharks' Brad Boyes?) and a 3rd round pick
-Trade Malakhov to anybody for best pick possible
-Same goes for Mironov
-Trade Leetch, Simon, and a 2nd to the Bruins for Jillison, Mark Staurt (or Jars Jonsson if they don't give up Staurt), and a 1st.
-Nedved and a pick (5th) with some cash to LA for Tim Gleason or maybe to San Jose or for a good pick or prospect (Boyes?). (Anyone who could use a scoring center for the playoff push.
-Kovalev and cash to the Vancouver for Chubarov and a 3rd

During off season:
-Hire Ted Nolan, or an assistant out there who will get the most out of the players we got (ala Hitch, Lemaire)
-Mess retires, Dunham goes somehow, Lindros retires or signs somewhere else. (we're left with Jagr, Holik, De Vries, Kaspar, Lundmark, DLac, Ortmeyer, Bouchard, Purinton, Blackburn, Markkanen)
-Draft best available at each pick we have in the draft. Take gambles on high end talent later in the draft, but draft best available talent there.
-Sign Brent Johnson
-Sign Sheldon Keefe
-Sign a Mike Sillinger or Andrei Nikolishin or maybe Curtis Brown to play 3rd/4th line center. Mike Ricci, Joe Juneau or Wes Walz also a possibility. Just one reliable center for a year with a club option for 2. Maybe 2 years gaurenteed. (rumor has it Tim Connolly might not be offered a contract, might want to try and bring him in)
-Get just one or two FA wingers in here like Buchberger, Holzinger, Dallas Drake, Scott Pellerin, Scott Thorton, Tom Fitzgerald, someone who wont screw up much and might be able to fetch us a nice pick come next year at the trade deadline. Sign non of them to more than one year gaurenteed.

Going into camp we look like (I'll have a little fun here)
We got Holik, Lundmark, Brad Boyes, Chubarov, Ortmeyer and Sillinger coming into camp as centers. Jagr, DLac, Keefe, Dallas Drake, Heerema, Moore, Garth Murray, Juris Stals, Thorton, Prucha, Marcus Jonasen, Dawes, wiseman, and what ever other picks who want to play foward come out. On D, we got De Vries, Kaspar, Bouchard, Tjutin, Jillison, and Puriton. Jessiman and Falardeau cant come to camp if im not mistaken.

Now on defense, if Puriton or Bouchard is out played badly (ala Novak or Martin Richter a few years back) by Natha Guenin, Aufiero, Baranka, Lampman, Taylor, or another pick/invitee then they stick and then they person they beat out is either exposed or the HS. Hey, lets say we got Harrison (hes nasty).

In net, Blackburn and Johnson really get to fight it out for #1. Lets get Lundquist in there and see if he can chase for it.

If we are still really hurting on the wings you can ALWAYS find a solid winger in the waiver draft. So ideally... In camp Boyes shines with Jagr, Drake completes the line very well. Holik and Lundmark get their chemistry back and Thorton complimented them well. Sillinger centers a nice grind line. Ortmeyer, Heerma, and Chubarov throw in a goal here and there without screwing up. Jillison and Harrison get in the starting lineup. Solid camp and Harrison went Klouchek style knocking people down in camp. Blackburn goes to the AHL, Johnson plays well enough, so Jussi backs up. Here's my starting line up.....

Drake-Boyes-Jagr
Thorton-Holik-Lundmark
Chubarov-Ortmeyer-Stals/Heerema
DLac-Sillinger-Keefe

Tjutin-De Vries
Kasper-Bouchard
Jillison-Harrison

Johnson
Blackburn/Jussi

Thats turning over the team pretty hardcore. What do you all think?

Old
02-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Fletch

Sounds like a disaster...

one that doesn't improve this team much and still little hope for the future...

Stals has, I believe, one AHL goal...Heerema a few more...

The defense looks as though it could potentially be torched more than the current group..Boyes-Jagr-Drake? Not fair to Jagr. This team looks almost as bad on paper as PITT. Gotta dump Jags too.

Maybe I'm not ready to rebuild.

Old
02-10-2004, 01:29 PM
33teddy33

Send a message via ICQ to 33teddy33 Send a message via AIM to 33teddy33 Send a message via Yahoo to 33teddy33
I like Ted Nolan.
Really Like Him!!

Old
02-10-2004, 01:35 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Ouch...

Old
02-10-2004, 01:50 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter

Drake-Boyes-Jagr
Thorton-Holik-Lundmark
DLac-Sillinger-Keefe

Tjutin-De Vries
Kasper-Bouchard
Jillison-Harrison

Johnson
Blackburn/Jussi

#1. Bruins never make that deal.
#2. What number are you going to have Sidney Crosby wear after you win the lottery next year ???

Old
02-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Barnaby

Dude your worse then Sather.

You kill this year AND dont improve the future.

Brent Johnson is worse then Dunham. Blackburn cant be a #1 goalie a year after nothing.

Drake-Boyes-Jagr?

Tyutin as a #1?

Bouchard as a top 4?

Better get more then just a solid prospect for Poti and Rucinsky who is arguably our most consistent forward this year.

Nolan? Ever think theres a reason nobody wants him?

Getting young is nice, but you dont gut the team for just Boyes, Gleason, and a couple 3rd rounders. This is a youth movement with no youth!!!

Old
02-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

-Trade Leetch, Simon, and a 2nd to the Bruins for Jillison, Mark Staurt (or Jars Jonsson if they don't give up Staurt), and a 1st

What do you all think?

not in this lifetime..... not unless you bring flowers and buy dinner first.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
02-10-2004, 02:36 PM
kazo

You certainly get an A, no A+, for imagination.

Old
02-10-2004, 02:49 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Trade Leetch, Simon, and a 2nd to the Bruins for Jillison, Mark Staurt (or Jars Jonsson if they don't give up Staurt), and a 1st

No....you should add Messier..(we can throw in Bergeron and Samsonov) then it will be a good deal.

Old
02-10-2004, 03:51 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
and what do you know it, they picked me to be GM. Now what I'm going to do is give you all a list of decisions I would make between now and the first day of training camp. (assuming the league plays next season and all my trades went down)

before trade deadline:
-Put Renney and O'Reilly behind the bench
-Trade Poti and Ruchinsky to anybody for a solid prospect (Toronto's Jay Harrison, Ottowa's Igor Mirnov, or maybe the Sharks' Brad Boyes?) and a 3rd round pick
-Trade Malakhov to anybody for best pick possible
-Same goes for Mironov
-Trade Leetch, Simon, and a 2nd to the Bruins for Jillison, Mark Staurt (or Jars Jonsson if they don't give up Staurt), and a 1st.
-Nedved and a pick (5th) with some cash to LA for Tim Gleason or maybe to San Jose or for a good pick or prospect (Boyes?). (Anyone who could use a scoring center for the playoff push.
-Kovalev and cash to the Vancouver for Chubarov and a 3rd

During off season:
-Hire Ted Nolan, or an assistant out there who will get the most out of the players we got (ala Hitch, Lemaire)
-Mess retires, Dunham goes somehow, Lindros retires or signs somewhere else. (we're left with Jagr, Holik, De Vries, Kaspar, Lundmark, DLac, Ortmeyer, Bouchard, Purinton, Blackburn, Markkanen)
-Draft best available at each pick we have in the draft. Take gambles on high end talent later in the draft, but draft best available talent there.
-Sign Brent Johnson
-Sign Sheldon Keefe
-Sign a Mike Sillinger or Andrei Nikolishin or maybe Curtis Brown to play 3rd/4th line center. Mike Ricci, Joe Juneau or Wes Walz also a possibility. Just one reliable center for a year with a club option for 2. Maybe 2 years gaurenteed. (rumor has it Tim Connolly might not be offered a contract, might want to try and bring him in)
-Get just one or two FA wingers in here like Buchberger, Holzinger, Dallas Drake, Scott Pellerin, Scott Thorton, Tom Fitzgerald, someone who wont screw up much and might be able to fetch us a nice pick come next year at the trade deadline. Sign non of them to more than one year gaurenteed.

Going into camp we look like (I'll have a little fun here)
We got Holik, Lundmark, Brad Boyes, Chubarov, Ortmeyer and Sillinger coming into camp as centers. Jagr, DLac, Keefe, Dallas Drake, Heerema, Moore, Garth Murray, Juris Stals, Thorton, Prucha, Marcus Jonasen, Dawes, wiseman, and what ever other picks who want to play foward come out. On D, we got De Vries, Kaspar, Bouchard, Tjutin, Jillison, and Puriton. Jessiman and Falardeau cant come to camp if im not mistaken.

Now on defense, if Puriton or Bouchard is out played badly (ala Novak or Martin Richter a few years back) by Natha Guenin, Aufiero, Baranka, Lampman, Taylor, or another pick/invitee then they stick and then they person they beat out is either exposed or the HS. Hey, lets say we got Harrison (hes nasty).

In net, Blackburn and Johnson really get to fight it out for #1. Lets get Lundquist in there and see if he can chase for it.

If we are still really hurting on the wings you can ALWAYS find a solid winger in the waiver draft. So ideally... In camp Boyes shines with Jagr, Drake completes the line very well. Holik and Lundmark get their chemistry back and Thorton complimented them well. Sillinger centers a nice grind line. Ortmeyer, Heerma, and Chubarov throw in a goal here and there without screwing up. Jillison and Harrison get in the starting lineup. Solid camp and Harrison went Klouchek style knocking people down in camp. Blackburn goes to the AHL, Johnson plays well enough, so Jussi backs up. Here's my starting line up.....

Drake-Boyes-Jagr
Thorton-Holik-Lundmark
DLac-Sillinger-Keefe

Tjutin-De Vries
Kasper-Bouchard
Jillison-Harrison

Johnson
Blackburn/Jussi

It's a nice effort but their are problems.

The majority of turn over will come from the fact that the Rangers do not have many players under contract for next season. The Leetch trade is far fetched and to say that you would trade Malakhov and Mironov for picks is a reach. Certainly saying that Dunham "goes somewhere" is open ended. Another problem I have with what you propose is you bring guys who are similar to what the Rangers have already with the players here and in Hartford. With Murray, Ortmeyer, Barnaby (who you ignored and I would resign), Wiseman and others, this team does not need Silinger or Keefe.

And I want no part of Ted Nolan. There is a reason that he has not been given a chance again and I reckon it is for something that none of us are truly aware of.

My top priorities:

1) Get Hlavac out of here. If I can get a 9th rd pick I would be ecstatic. Either way, he's gone at the end of the summer. I said that this team could not be a contender with Ronald Petrovicky getting second line LW minutes. Well Hlavac has done even less. Enjoy the fourth line. And the meal money on the road. It will be your last.

2) Resign Rucinsky. Right now. I'm willing to risk overpaying him now to make sure I have him for next season.

3) It's time to fish or cut bait with Lundmark. OK kid, Lindros is gone, you're my second scoring line center. And I will give you every opportunity to succeed. Thats why your RW is Jaromir Jagr.

4) Petr Nedved, I'm not picking up my club option on you. But I do want you back. 1 year 3M.

5) Alex Kovalev, it was real and it was good but it was never real good. I have traded you to Toronto for Darcy Tucker and a 2nd.

6) Tom Poti, I would love to deal you. And I resist the temptation to deal you to the Blues for a 3rd rd pick. But I'll be damned if you ever play with Leetch again.

7) I sign Chris Pronger.

8) I sign Brian Rolston.

9) I sign Steve Konowalchuk.

10) Keep all picks and pick the best player available with each selection. This team is not deep enough in the farm system to pick and choose positions of need.

11) I can't see Dunham going anywhere. Markkanen might as he is an effective backup and he is cheap. Florida needs a back up so I trade Markkanen for a 4th round pick. Dunham becomes my back up and I sign Sean Burke or Chris Osgood for one year. Give Blackburn a year in Hartford and hope he is ready to be the go to guy in 05-06.

Brian Rolston - Petr Nedved - Darcy Tucker
Martin Rucinsky - Jamie Lundmark - Jaromir Jagr
Steve Konowalchuk - Bobby Holik - Jed Ortmeyer
Garth Murray - Dominic Moore - Matthew Barnaby

Leetch - Pronger
de Vries - Kasparaitis
Tyutin - Poti/Bouchard

Burke/Osgood
Dunham

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 02-10-2004 at 03:58 PM.
Old
02-10-2004, 04:43 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Singin'...

That not too bad, but personally, I think Sather's three best assets for trading are Poti, Kovalev and Nedved. The Poti to Boston rumors have been out there all season, so see what the Bruins are willing to give up for him. If the name Jillson comes up in conversation, jump at it. While Nedved does have an option for next year, its a team option. So, perhaps a team like Calgary, which is looking to strengthen itself up the middle could be interested in a conditional deal where, if Nedved re-signs, pick comes back to the Rangers. If not, just a prospect, or maybe someone like a Gauthier goes the Rangers way. And, since Nedved does like NYC, there's no reason he couldn't be signed at a lower price next year if Calgary does not pick up his option. As for Kovalev, I think quite a few teams could be interested - Vancouver is said to be looking for a player to play with the Sedin twins. How about Kovalev for RJ Umberger and a #2 pick? The Pronger signing is fantasy, right? OTOH, the Rolston signing seems more feasible. I say dump both Mironov and Malakhov for whatever the market bears. And, with the departures of Nedved, Poti and Kovalev, give heavy ice time to Lundmark, Ortmeyer and Tjutin. Bring up Moore and Wiseman. And, after Murray gets his game back together, bring him up to play next to Holik and start building a true checking line.

Last edited by jas: 02-10-2004 at 04:52 PM.
Old
02-10-2004, 04:49 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
That not too bad, but personally, I think sather's three best assets for trading are Poti, Kovalev and Nedved. The Poti to Boston rumors have been out there all season, so see what the Bruins are willing to give up for him. If the name Jillson comes up in conversation, jump at it. While Nedved does have an option for next year, its a team option. So, perhaps a team like Calgary, which is looking to strengthen itself up the middle could be interested in a conditional deal where, if Nedved re-signs, pick comes back to the Rangers. If not, just a prospect, or maybe someone like a Gauthier goes the Rangers way. And, since Nedved does like NYC, there's no reason he couldn't be signed at a lower price next year if Clagry does not pick up his option. As for Kovalev, I think quite a few teams could be interested - Vancouver is said to be looking for a player to play with the Sedin twins. How about Kovalev for RJ Umberger and a #2 pick? The Pronger signing is fantasy, right? OTOH, the Rolston siging seems more feasible. I say dump both Mironov and Malakhov for whatever the market bears. And, with the departures of Nedved, Poti and Kovalev, give heavy ice time to Lundmark, Ortmeyer and Tjutin. Bring up Moore and Wiseman. And, after Murray gets his game back together bring him up to play next to Holik and start building a true checking line.
Agreed jas.

I recognize that Poti is a tradable asset but I feel as though I'm too close to it and I really am having a hard time gauging his value. I know he has some value but I sure as hell can't see it :p .

Nedved might be a nice rental for someone but I have to see what is available. If I could get Gauthier for him I would have to make that trade.

Kovalev is the wild card. Umberger and a second would be nice. Tucker and a 2nd would be nice as well.

As far as Pronger goes, there might be a chance that the Blues don't make him a qualifying offer. If they don't and there is cash around from Bure, Lindros and Kovalev I certainly make a big play for him.

I have liked Rolston going back to when he was with the Devils. He could help the power play and he would be an excellent top line LW.

I've always like Konowalchuk as well.

I was more or less lost when it came to the goalie situation so I improvised.

Old
02-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Fletch

On Rolston...

he'd help the PP only if a Sather-clone isn't coach. Kovalev put up decent numbers in the years preceding this one on the same point on the PP that Rolston covers. It's a cursed side that nobody since Zubov has been successful.

Old
02-10-2004, 05:02 PM
kazo

Singin',

I have a lot of trouble with Nedved being the go to guy and first line center. Also, you have no physical presence, especially up front.

Old
02-10-2004, 05:19 PM
Angel of Death

[QUOTE=SingnBluesOnBroadway]

5) Alex Kovalev, it was real and it was good but it was never real good. I have traded you to Toronto for Darcy Tucker and a 2nd.

umm no way leafs trade tucker AND a 1st for kovie. now, i like kovalev, but not at that price, especially with the playoffs coming up. maybe the 2nd and a prospect.

Old
02-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Edge

you take your lumps, lose for a few more seasons but build a team from the bottom up.

you're gonna lost for a few more seasons no matter what {that's the current state of the team}, at least this way you have a future.

will it happen? not likely but until it does this team is gonna be in bad shape. you'd think one cup in the past 70 years would tell you something, but this team is likely to go at least another 15 years without a cup unless serious changes are made to its mentality.

Old
02-10-2004, 07:41 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

SBOB brought up a good point about the ambiguous nature of poti's trade value. what does everyone think his value is at?

what would be a border line trade? tempting but trepiditious.

what would be a no brainer? (and i'm not talking about poti for heatley or anything like that)

would everyone consider a 1st round draft pick a no brainer? even in a weak draft year? (i don't have much of a clue since HF's draft center has been AWOL - outside of ovechkin and crosby i have no idea who is out there)

Old
02-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Bure9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8
SBOB brought up a good point about the ambiguous nature of poti's trade value. what does everyone think his value is at?

what would be a border line trade? tempting but trepiditious.

what would be a no brainer? (and i'm not talking about poti for heatley or anything like that)

would everyone consider a 1st round draft pick a no brainer? even in a weak draft year? (i don't have much of a clue since HF's draft center has been AWOL - outside of ovechkin and crosby i have no idea who is out there)

Poti to the Avs? Blake is out with a broken leg so they might be looking for a d-man. Personally, I'd ask for the 1st round pick. The Avs prospect pool is pretty weak.

As far as the draft, Ovechkin would be a dream. Crosby isn't eligible till 2005. After Ovechkin I'd want Olesz, Schremp, Barker.

Old
02-10-2004, 07:58 PM
True Blue

Porta's value?

Difficult to gage. If you ask me, I'd say zilch. I have never seen such a contact averse player in my life. He makes Putty look like Nilan. In addition, he is absolutely the WORST DEFENSEman in history. BUT, having said that, he MAY have value to those who (as Singin' said) are not too close to the situation. He IS a pretty good offenseman. However, at least to me, his horrid defensive play outweighs whatever good he may do offensively BY FAR. Still, he may have value outside of NY when paired with a competent stay-at-home. I'd take 1st or 2nd round pics. Got to think (hope) that he has more value than Weinrich. He is still young enough. Mayhaps Gauthier could be had. Maybe Boyton (nah.......).
I would say any mid-level prospect, a similarly aged stay-at-home physical defender, or picks from the first several rounds would do.

Old
02-10-2004, 08:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
What the hell do you want Brent Johnson for?

Old
02-11-2004, 03:38 PM
BruinsGirl

Rolston on the first line??? Good luck!

Old
02-11-2004, 04:17 PM
kazo

If you're REALLY interested in changing this team's direction then you have to seriously consider moving Leetch. A #1, a good prospect, and a roster player who can step into the Ranger lineup.

St. Louis loves Rucinsky and Ottawa loves Barnaby. On a team with solid D, Poti could be an asset. You can't trade everybody but I think there are some interesting possibilities out there.

Closed Thread