HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Halak start next game?

View Poll Results: Start who?
Halak 148 37.66%
Price 212 53.94%
Danis 22 5.60%
Other 11 2.80%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-28-2008, 09:46 PM
  #126
transitguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
You see. We are fans of this team. Not fan of individuals. I want this team to win and I feel Halak will give us a better chance next game. End of story.
Sorry buddy if you think I am just a fan of an individual. I have been watching the Habs for 50 years. You don't make a goalie change of this magnitude on the road in what likely is the crucial game of the series coming up. You go with the best and for me and for the team it is Price. It has nothing to do with an individual. Following your argument I suppose Alex Kovalev should be sitting Wednesday night.

transitguy is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 09:46 PM
  #127
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,180
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakin View Post
You gotta ride the hot hand, and that no question is Halak.
This has to be sarcasm.

Halak made 2 saves in the third period.

Halak.

Made.

2.

Saves.

Yes one of them was a great save, I'll give him that. But Price made a couple of great saves in the game too (it's true, think hard and you'll remember them...point blank on Prospal and another glove save later on).

hototogisu is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 09:46 PM
  #128
Complaining Customer
Registered User
 
Complaining Customer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Anyone else get the feeling that if we do anything except win the Stanley Cup, people are always going to bring up the Huet trade?

"omg the habs lost the cup in 7 games...hope that 2nd rounder is worth it gainey "
As I've said numerous times, even if the Habs win the cup, that trade was ********. You don't go in the playoffs with a first place team with two rookies at the wheel. They could have used Huet as a backup, I wouldn't have mind a second, but you don't risk that much for a second rounder...

Complaining Customer is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 09:47 PM
  #129
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue
 
Stanley Foobrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fooville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by transitguy View Post
How does a 20 year old who lives for the game be mentally exhausted? Maybe the bums in front of him called defensemen could actually block a shot, move someone out standing in front of him or better yet get the hell out of his sight line so he could actually see the puck. So of you so called fans are just so .......

I'm sorry but some of these shots he seems to be allowing himself to be screened, he really doesn't seem to be looking for the puck. He looks like a goalie who has lost his confidence and is sitting back in his net hoping the puck hits him instead of seeking out the puck and stopping it.

I think you will admit to the fact that Halak is a least a capable goalie. A capable goalie who is dying to show the team what he can do.

So the way I see it is you have to decide between a goalie who hasn't been playing his best and looks rattled or a goalie who wants a chance to prove what he can do. I pick the latter.

Stanley Foobrick is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 09:48 PM
  #130
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,180
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complaining Customer View Post
As I've said numerous times, even if the Habs win the cup, that trade was ********. You don't go in the playoffs with a first place team with two rookies at the wheel. They could have used Huet as a backup, I wouldn't have mind a second, but you don't risk that much for a second rounder...
I shared this sentiment when the trade happened but now I see it differently.

Besides, who's to say we'd be any better with Huet? Whatever happened to that widespread belief amongst Hab fans that he was a choker and not a playoff goalie and all this stuff? Now that he's done suddenly he's the solution? Cmon.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 09:49 PM
  #131
Turbo
Registered User
 
Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greys section 325
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
That's what was said last game.

Honestly, I've always thought you live and die by your #1 goalie.
Do I think Halak will start the next game? No.

Goaltending (which has been bad this whole series) doesn't bother me as much as the missed scoring opportunities and Yvon and Pierre brought up a point that should be considered. When the team in front of you isn't capitalizing on opportunities I can't help but think it affects the goalie.

Regardless, whoever starts the next game, I will be looking for better finish from our forwards, I don't care how it's done, just put some goal into the opposing team's net.
I've never been a goaltender but I'd have to think there's some truth to this. The futility of the offense is putting a lot of pressure on the D and goaltending - it's basically demanding perfection.

Like you, I find the fact that many of the forwards don't want the puck badly enough and can't score is a greater concern.

Anyway, doesn't matter anymore. Goaltending is a pretty thankless job. He must bounce back and get it done.

Turbo is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 09:50 PM
  #132
Clumsyhab
Registered User
 
Clumsyhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,900
vCash: 500
I voted Halak, but I have calmed down and Price should be in next game.

Clumsyhab is online now  
Old
04-28-2008, 09:51 PM
  #133
tiredman
Registered User
 
tiredman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ville de Québec
Country:
Posts: 4,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Anyone else get the feeling that if we do anything except win the Stanley Cup, people are always going to bring up the Huet trade?

"omg the habs lost the cup in 7 games...hope that 2nd rounder is worth it gainey "
well, if price continues to plays the way he plays, it will prove going with price for this year wasn't a very good idea. now, we don't know if huet could have done a better job. but yes, you will hear about it unless price finds a way to do MUCH better in his next games.

tiredman is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 09:51 PM
  #134
Doctor House
Registered User
 
Doctor House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,697
vCash: 500
You start Price until we're out of the playoffs.

Doctor House is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 09:52 PM
  #135
HF-Addict
Registered User
 
HF-Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by transitguy View Post
Sorry buddy if you think I am just a fan of an individual. I have been watching the Habs for 50 years. You don't make a goalie change of this magnitude on the road in what likely is the crucial game of the series coming up. You go with the best and for me and for the team it is Price. It has nothing to do with an individual. Following your argument I suppose Alex Kovalev should be sitting Wednesday night.
Should Caroline have lived and died with Gerber in their cup winning year?


Has Alex Kovalev been playing so-so for many many games? We have a suitable replacement with Halak who is a VERY good goaltender. I don't think we have that opportunity either with Kovalev anyway.

Put Halak and Ryder in next game. Don't change the Smoke-Begin-Kost line.

HF-Addict is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 09:52 PM
  #136
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: LA via Montreal
Posts: 11,955
vCash: 500
Ridiculous overreaction. All the so-called bad goals on Price have been screens or deflections.

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 09:53 PM
  #137
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab
 
The Gal Pals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,849
vCash: 500
Put Halak in for one game. Price has done a good job up til now but he needs a rest.

The Gal Pals is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 09:55 PM
  #138
Complaining Customer
Registered User
 
Complaining Customer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I shared this sentiment when the trade happened but now I see it differently.

Besides, who's to say we'd be any better with Huet? Whatever happened to that widespread belief amongst Hab fans that he was a choker and not a playoff goalie and all this stuff? Now that he's done suddenly he's the solution? Cmon.
Widespread beliefs amongst Habs fans are usually stupid. I never once thought he was a choker, and he really did all he could with the Caps (their defensive coverage was atrocious, half the goals he gave were passes across the crease). I'm not saying Huet would do or would have done better than Price either, but you just need that veteran presence to calm everybody down. Now if they start next game with Halak, everybody will be nervous, and if they start with Price and he gives a bad goal, everybody will **** their pants - all I'm saying / and have been saying since the trade, is that the second rounder wasn't worth that.

(Post I did after game one of this matchup, when everything was going fine: http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=13870021&postcount=4 )

Complaining Customer is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 09:55 PM
  #139
transitguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Why can't you watch the games and pay attention.

A shakeup is necessary, Price is the greater risk right now. Even if you think he's faultless for tonight's 3 goals his recent play is creeping into everyone's thoughts.
If you want a shake up you don't remove your starting goalie in the most crucial game of the series on the road. Stop talking through emotion and allow your brain to kick in once and a while. You want to shake up the team, you bring Ryder back into the line-up and play him with Koivu and Higgins. Maybe you look at sitting down Plekanac and inserting Grabovski. If Chipchura is practicing maybe you insert him and take out Laperriere and insert Stewart for the lazy Latendresse. This gives you some more grit to get to the front of the net. This is where we are loosing this series, not goaltending.

transitguy is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 09:56 PM
  #140
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue
 
Stanley Foobrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fooville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
I've never been a goaltender but I'd have to think there's some truth to this. The futility of the offense is putting a lot of pressure on the D and goaltending - it's basically demanding perfection.

Like you, I find the fact that many of the forwards don't want the puck badly enough and can't score is a greater concern.

Anyway, doesn't matter anymore. Goaltending is a pretty thankless job. He must bounce back and get it done.
Sometimes this can be the exact opposite. When the forwards have lost confidence in their goalie they don't tend to charge the other teams net like they would if they felt confident their goalie. The defense also might not pinch offensively as much as they would if they were confident that their would stop the possible 3 on 2, 2 on 1, or whatever return rush might happen if they get a little over zealous on the offense.

Stanley Foobrick is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 09:56 PM
  #141
freakin
Registered User
 
freakin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: behind enemy lines
Posts: 9,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
This has to be sarcasm.

Halak made 2 saves in the third period.

Halak.

Made.

2.

Saves.

Yes one of them was a great save, I'll give him that. But Price made a couple of great saves in the game too (it's true, think hard and you'll remember them...point blank on Prospal and another glove save later on).
the key number you are missing is 0.

as in 0 goals.

in a whole periods of work.

freakin is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 10:00 PM
  #142
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,180
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakin View Post
the key number you are missing is 0.

as in 0 goals.

in a whole periods of work.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 10:00 PM
  #143
MM425
Registered User
 
MM425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,673
vCash: 500
This is Carey's team and will be for a long time. You give him the chance to bounce back.

FYI- Games 5 and 6 in the Boston series he had a combined 10 GA (worse than games 2 and 3 of this series obviously). Game 7... shutout. He also hasn't lost more than 3 games in a row all season long.

He knows what he needs to do and knows what to expect from Philly. He steps up and plays well, we in. It's that simple. The ball is in his court now

MM425 is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 10:02 PM
  #144
Turbo
Registered User
 
Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greys section 325
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Sometimes this can be the exact opposite. When the forwards have lost confidence in their goalie they don't tend to charge the other teams net like they would if they felt confident their goalie. The defense also might not pinch offensively as much as they would if they were confident that their would stop the possible 3 on 2, 2 on 1, or whatever return rush might happen if they get a little over zealous on the offense.
Yeah, I can see a vicious circle type of thing happening. Pinpointing the origin might be difficult.

All I can say is that it would be nice to have the lead for a change against the Flyers. Both the offense and D/goaltending needs to step up to make this happen.

Turbo is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 10:21 PM
  #145
ToysInTheAttic
Registered User
 
ToysInTheAttic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,864
vCash: 500
Price has let in 3,4,3 goals in 3 games. This isn't good enough in a playoff series. It isn't like he has faced tons of shots every game. I'd play Halak next game. Bring back Price after he rests a bit.

ToysInTheAttic is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 10:27 PM
  #146
Natural Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Natural Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,083
vCash: 500
Price... with a shutout in game 4.

I'm comfortable with either goalie but I believe playing Price is the right move.

Natural Habs Fan is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 10:30 PM
  #147
YOUTH OF HABS
Registered User
 
YOUTH OF HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: OTTAWHAT
Country: Canada
Posts: 898
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS
price or bust.

YOUTH OF HABS is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 10:39 PM
  #148
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ____
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,750
vCash: 500
Price WILL be back between the posts next game. you can bet your first born child on that fact.

Ice Poutine is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 10:40 PM
  #149
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Price WILL be back between the posts next game. you can bet your first born child on that fact.
It has been booked.

JGRB is offline  
Old
04-28-2008, 10:41 PM
  #150
freakin
Registered User
 
freakin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: behind enemy lines
Posts: 9,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
don't judge me. My heart is coming out my sleeves.

freakin is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.