HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

OT: Coming to Toronto/Questions about Tickets Thread

Old
04-07-2008, 01:01 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

vCash: 500

The old thread had some issues when I merged them with a related thread. My bad guys, sorry about that.

All questions about the city, events etc. please put them in here.

Last edited by LeafsGuru93: 04-07-2008 at 06:34 PM.
LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 05:38 AM
Marns
@SH_Hockey

Greetings Leafs fans, I come in peace.

At the end of the year, I'll be heading over to Toronto with a mate to live for about a year. Unfortunately, I don't know a whole lot about the city and suburbs, what are good areas, what are not-so-good areas etc.

Just wondering if any of you have recommendations on where to live, and the areas I should probably stay away from.

Cheers

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 06:50 AM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marns View Post

At the end of the year, I'll be heading over to Toronto with a mate to live for about a year. Unfortunately, I don't know a whole lot about the city and suburbs, what are good areas, what are not-so-good areas etc.

Just wondering if any of you have recommendations on where to live, and the areas I should probably stay away from.

Cheers
Buying or Renting?

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Marns
@SH_Hockey

Renting

Old
04-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Creedence*

Quote:

Cheers
Jane & Finch is the next hot spot, get in while you can. Great neighbourhood.

Creedence* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 07:06 AM
LTL

Quote:
Renting
  • Yonge and Eglinton
  • Yonge and Davisville
  • Bathurst and King
  • "The Beaches"
  • Yonge and St.Clair
  • Anything along Queens Quay
  • Anything in the King West Village
  • Bathurst and Bloor

Try to stay on yonge or west of it. There are a few nice pockets east of it but to play it safe stay west. You'll see the difference in your travels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post

I doubt he wants to die at such a young age.

Old
04-27-2008, 07:11 AM
LTL

Here is a great magazine that comes out every week:

http://www.rentersnews.ca/

Has all the rentals across toronto and GTA. You can also find these in yellow boxes scaterred throughout the city. Each zone will have different magazines geared towards that area. Although rentals found in any of those books is on that website.

Here's another popular one:

http://www.247apartments.com/

Old
04-27-2008, 07:14 AM
Platapie

If you don't mind saying, what's your budget? I live at Yonge/Davisville but am looking at moving back to the beaches sometime soon, and the difference in price can be substantial.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 07:29 AM
Geese_Howard*

what are you going to be doing here? working? school? give us some demographics and we could suggest the best place.

Geese_Howard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 07:37 AM
LC

Quote:
That was the first thing I thought of when reading the thread title

LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 07:40 AM
LTL

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
That was the first thing I thought of when reading the thread title
Add queen and sherborne to that list then

Old
04-27-2008, 07:41 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yup, nothing wrong there!

I advise you, to never, EVER, move to Mississauga.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 08:00 AM
Marns
@SH_Hockey

Thanks for the replies so far guys, keep em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie View Post
If you don't mind saying, what's your budget? I live at Yonge/Davisville but am looking at moving back to the beaches sometime soon, and the difference in price can be substantial.
We don't want to spend more than a grand/month on rent. Just uni students who work part time at the moment, so the money aint exactly rolling in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard View Post
what are you going to be doing here? working? school? give us some demographics and we could suggest the best place.
Working. The idea behind us working in Toronto was so we could extend our trip, as opposed to it being a two-month holiday, we're hoping for something along the lines of a year.
We're both early 20s, so definitely looking to hit the town (and the beers) as often as possible.

Old
04-27-2008, 08:03 AM
marmarsab

so your obviously lookin for a 2 bedroom, 1000 aint gonna cut in T.O unless you hit the shady arears

marmarsab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 08:15 AM
LTL

Quote:
We don't want to spend more than a grand/month on rent. Just uni students who work part time at the moment, so the money aint exactly rolling in!
Take a look at this building:

200 Balliol Street

The main intersection is yonge and Davisville. The rent is about 900-940 for a large 1 bedroom and a little over 1100 for a 2 bed. Beautiful building and an excellent area. The maintenance guys in the building are lighting fast when you call them. Any problem in your unit is done by the next day. Underground parking is only 55 bucks a month. Pool on the 24th floor, sauna, and utilities all included into the monthly rental price.

Here is the managements office website:

http://greenwin.ca/sites/greenwin/?f...ences.showList

The office is located at 77 davisville and they take care of almost all the buildings on davisville. Ask for Rocco

Your very close to Yonge and Eglinton and the women in your area and there are quite hot

Old
04-27-2008, 08:34 AM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Great place, great place. Some day I'd like to settle down and raise a family there.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Skittles View Post
Great place, great place. Some day I'd like to settle down and raise a family there.
Don't bother doing all that work yourself, take a couple kids that are running around.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 08:54 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheleafs View Post
Buying or Renting?
Give us a few more details. Certain neighborhoods cater to certain groups. Are you young looking for lots of night life? Something quiet? Do you have a car or are you going to TTC it?

Where are you working or going to school? Comuting can be a problem.

I've lied in a few neighborhoods. The beaches were nice but conjested and an hour street-car ride down Queen Street to Bay St. was common.

If you're working downtown TTC is the way to go. Parking is $20 per day. My suggestion get a place near the subway - best way to travel . Which is why I loved living on the Danforth - lots of night life. Great selection of restaurants and stores nd right on the subway. Got to work in 15 minutes regardless of the time of day.

If you have a car and aren't working downtown - going to school at York or something then get a place North of the 401. You won't like driving your car downtown - to congested.

Yonge and Eglinton is pricey but great for students and very central. Jane and Finch is about the worst area in Toronto but there are plenty more. Stay away from Scarlem, South on Parliament. High Park is nice if you are looking for something South West. My favorite though was the Danforth so convenient, right on the Subway, and plenty of variety. It's known as greek town but no there's about every flavor you can imagine. Just stay away during the world cup and remember the street shuts down during Taste of the Danforth every year.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Courage*

Quote:
We're both early 20s, so definitely looking to hit the town (and the beers) as often as possible.
Trinity-Bellwoods, around the U of T campus, and even Parkdale (if you know the right streets) will offer you decent neighbourhoods that aren't too expensive and close to the hippest things to do - music, shopping, fashion, bars, clubs. You might not have the fanciest digs for a $1000/month, but the proximity to things to do will more than make up for it. My advice, get a bike and live below Bloor St. west of Bay street and preferably west of Spadina Ave. You can get around on a bike faster than walking, TTC, or driving. I lived in various places along Queen St. West for 12 years and never needed a car. Once you know the side streets, you're laughing.

For drinks, food, music and beer think Queen St. West between John and Ossington, Bloor St. between Spadina and Bathurst and College St. between Spadina and Shaw... Notice a trend? (Hint: west of Spadina...) That said Spadina itself, below College, is Chinatown and some of the best cheap eating in the city is available there.

I wouldn't look anywhere else in the city if I were (still) in my early 20's looking to have a good time and get on the (cheap) beers as often as possible. You will be surrounded by students, artists, young professionals and people doing exactly what you're doing.

You aren't looking to settle down. The Beaches, Yonge and Davisville/Eglington and places like that are for people with kids, SUVs and day-jobs. Avoid at all costs!

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 10:59 AM
serdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Yup, nothing wrong there!

I advise you, to never, EVER, move to Mississauga.
Really? I dont live in the GTA, but have been to the Sauga many times and know people who live there, I thought it was a nice place, am I wrong?

serdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 11:14 AM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by serdy View Post
Really? I dont live in the GTA, but have been to the Sauga many times and know people who live there, I thought it was a nice place, am I wrong?
Yes, very wrong.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Schenn02

Quote:

Nope you're not wrong at all. If you don't want to live in the suburbs, then don't move to Mississauga but Mississauga is a decent city, I like it. Safe city too and not too far from TO. Has everything. Way better than Bramladesh :

To the OP, why don't you consider Malvern, if not Jane and Finch?

Schenn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Sportacus
:)

vCash: 50
I live in Scarborough

04-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Creedence*

Quote:
I agree I thought he wrote Scarborough when I read it because they can be confusing. Mississauga isn't really notorious for being bad at all, whereas Scarborough has some pretty rough areas.

Creedence* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 11:48 AM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Amazing beach. It's so clean that you can drink the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
Don't bother doing all that work yourself, take a couple kids that are running around.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote