HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Getting away with murder?

Old
04-28-2008, 09:18 PM
carbomustgo07

vCash: 500
Getting away with murder?

Is it me or did the refs lose their eyes since last game. For starters, Kostopolous got cross-checked in the face many times, and both times he wasn't playing the puck. He's a warrior and I respect him tremendously, but the refs should still make a call. I like the rough stuff, but it gets to a point where the guys in zebra stripes have to take control of the game. Plekanec gets nailed after the whistle, another one. It's not just a biased opinion because I honestly didn't see that dirty stuff in game 3 by the Habs. They knew from the game 2 incident that they had to start controlling their emotions, and they did a decent job.
I really like that the players are standing up for each other, and themselves, taking nothing from any one
What are your thoughts on the dirty play during game 3?

carbomustgo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Judge Sauer*

It's bad on both sides, it's just that the coach for one team is more vocal about it, Carbs has calmed down about that stuff this year that's for sure.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:26 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbomustgo07 View Post
Is it me or did the refs lose their eyes since last game. For starters, Kostopolous got cross-checked in the face many times, and both times he wasn't playing the puck. He's a warrior and I respect him tremendously, but the refs should still make a call. I like the rough stuff, but it gets to a point where the guys in zebra stripes have to take control of the game. Plekanec gets nailed after the whistle, another one. It's not just a biased opinion because I honestly didn't see that dirty stuff in game 3 by the Habs. They knew from the game 2 incident that they had to start controlling their emotions, and they did a decent job.
I really like that the players are standing up for each other, and themselves, taking nothing from any one
its a real playoffs games
dirty
it would be stupid if they called all the penalties

The refs did a good job in generals
they let some penalties but in general i have nothing to complain.

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Honestly, I have no issue with the reffing in this series.

I know a lot of people on both sides do, but it's pretty much been what I've expected from referees after watching well over 100 games of hockey this year.

Sometimes you get the calls, sometimes you don't. Good teams come through in the end (especially in a best of seven series).

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:29 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

When I read the title I thought you actually got away with murder, but now that I see what this thread is about i've lost interest. Reffing has been equally crappy on both sides.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:35 PM
ShuttFan

Quote:
and should the Flyers go on to face the Pens, they'll have free reign on Crosby like they've had against the Habs.

I thought the Hatcher penalty was 4 minutes at best, and the Habs bench call for too many men could be called a dozen times a game. Although the refs seemed to wake up a bit in the 3rd, it was done to extremes.

ShuttFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:37 PM
huet the master

The refs are just trying to do us a favour by preventing our disastrous PP from getting on the ice

huet the master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:39 PM
RC51

oh yeah! did anybody catch Kostopolos getting punched in the face by a guy on the bench?

Refs missed that one also. but you don't see that every day.

RC51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:41 PM
keepcalmandbeninja

Quote:
Honestly, I have no issue with the reffing in this series.

I know a lot of people on both sides do, but it's pretty much been what I've expected from referees after watching well over 100 games of hockey this year.

Sometimes you get the calls, sometimes you don't. Good teams come through in the end (especially in a best of seven series).
Honestly I do, countless PIMs should, could and would have been called but we have no luck...yet...

Quote:
its a real playoffs games
dirty
it would be stupid if they called all the penalties

The refs did a good job in generals
they let some penalties but in general i have nothing to complain.
To a certain extent I agree that it would be stupid to call every little thing but My NHL 3 is EXACTLY like that....

Everytime I see a line change...too many men on the ice...could be called have a dozen times per game...

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Are we actually complaining about the referrees after getting a 5 on 3 and a 5 minute major? And other penalties as well while clearly Streit should've received a 2 minute for cross checking at the later stage of the game but then it's Philly who had a penalty for a really average call on Kukkonen?

Is that thread really happening?

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:46 PM
compile

vCash: 611
I can't believe that there is 2 sets of rules in the NHL.
1 for the regular season.
1 for the playoffs.

This league fails on an epic level. Hatcher's hit was just and he should also serve a 3 game suspension. Richards is a little **** and I hope he gets his head taken off next game.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
From where I sit, we've been getting the lion's share of the calls, and that goes for the Boston series too: in fact, if it hadn't been for the stripes, we're looking at getting swept on Wednesday night. The powerplays are masking the fact that we haven't been able to compete with more physical teams five-on-five, and if you can't take a hit, you aren't going anywhere in the playoffs.

I'd also say that it has a lot to do with the fact that a lot of our go-to guys are young, inexperienced, and haven't known anything similar to the NHL playoffs before. Remember: the Oiler dynasty of the '80s had to fail miserably in the playoffs several times before they learned what it took to win it all.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I'm booing this thread in my head at the moment.

I thought this was a thread about how Plekanec almost killed Umburger.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:59 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Are we actually complaining about the referrees after getting a 5 on 3 and a 5 minute major? And other penalties as well while clearly Streit should've received a 2 minute for cross checking at the later stage of the game but then it's Philly who had a penalty for a really average call on Kukkonen?

Is that thread really happening?
What about Pleks going after Umberger's knee on the very same play. He went after Aaron Ward's knee in the last series as well and plays like a coward the rest of the time.

tinyzombies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Adam91

Quote:
game. Kostopolous got cross-checked in the face many times,
there was one cross check where he was completley helpless, on his knees and got one right in the face, if thats not a penalty I don't know what is

Adam91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 10:26 PM
carbomustgo07

[ Richards is a little **** and I hope he gets his head taken off next game.[/QUOTE]
I agree, he complains to the refs every second whistle. He hacks at Price, and should be knocked out-TK style.

carbomustgo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
there was one cross check where he was completley helpless, on his knees and got one right in the face, if thats not a penalty I don't know what is
Yup and got punch in the face by Prospal while he was sitting on the bench.

And the too many man call was ********.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Stradale

Just saw the video of Richards hitting Halak on the mask.

I seriously hope the Canadiens organisation sends a tape to the league to prevent those things. Thats was not violent but ****ing dirty and classless.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 10:38 PM
number 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Are we actually complaining about the referrees after getting a 5 on 3 and a 5 minute major?
Right, so the other penalties don't count just because we already got a few power plays.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
I can't believe that there is 2 sets of rules in the NHL.
1 for the regular season.
1 for the playoffs.

This league fails on an epic level. ....
This is actually a very good observation and a major reason why hockey is still considered a tertiary sport in the USA.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Kirk Muller

yes the refs are letting a tonne go however Montreal has wasted so many scoring chances that the situation they are in is their own fault.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 10:50 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
From where I sit, we've been getting the lion's share of the calls, and that goes for the Boston series too: in fact, if it hadn't been for the stripes, we're looking at getting swept on Wednesday night. The powerplays are masking the fact that we haven't been able to compete with more physical teams five-on-five, and if you can't take a hit, you aren't going anywhere in the playoffs.

I'd also say that it has a lot to do with the fact that a lot of our go-to guys are young, inexperienced, and haven't known anything similar to the NHL playoffs before. Remember: the Oiler dynasty of the '80s had to fail miserably in the playoffs several times before they learned what it took to win it all.
Refreshing.

I have the same opinion, we don't know the Price(pun semi-intented) just yet.

a) We dont know the price of winning.

b) It's becoming more and more apparent that it will take some time for Carey and the Ds to get on the same page, other teams are not exposing Carey, as much as the lack of coordination with a defense that is often surprised by a goaltender who can play the puck.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Adam91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I'm booing this thread in my head at the moment.

I thought this was a thread about how Plekanec almost killed Umburger.
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CLEAR THIS UP FOR ME, I honestly have NO idea what happened there, from what I could see just appear like Pleks either completly missed him or barely touched him... but I couldn't find a good angle

Adam91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 11:43 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CLEAR THIS UP FOR ME, I honestly have NO idea what happened there, from what I could see just appear like Pleks either completly missed him or barely touched him... but I couldn't find a good angle
On the Vs. feed they had a pretty good angle. Basically, he went in to hip check him and caught him right above the knee with his hip. Umberger winces instantaneously, so I don't think he was acting. Another poster said it was a charley horse. I don't know if that's true but they hurt like hell.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 02:51 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

Those posts are an embarassement.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote