HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it déja vu all over again?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-29-2008, 08:53 AM
  #1
rocketlives
Registered User
 
rocketlives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 793
vCash: 500
Is it déja vu all over again?

Since winning the Cup in 1993, the Habs have played more than one round of playoffs only 4 times, in 1998, 2002, 2004 and 2008. Before this year, each time, after a valiant effort in the first round, we rolled over and died in the second round.

I still remember our brilliant victory against the mighty Penguins in 1998 where Vladimir Malahov put Jaromir Yagr in his hip pocket but the Habs disappeared in the next round, losing in 4 straight games to the Sabres with Dominic Hasek in goal. Our defeats in 2002 and 2004 are still fresh in our memory.

Will we see another disappearing act in the Conference semi-finals again this year? We shall see tomorrow night. If we lose again tomorrow night, we'll be down 1-3 and we'll have 2 wins and 5 losses in our last 7 playoff games which is pretty dismal.

Some will say we've been outplaying and outshooting our opponents but lady luck hasn't been on our side. I'm not so sure about that. The Flyers, as it was also the case with the Bruins have little offense and slow defensemen but they both play the intimidation game. Against their opponents' PP they keep a tight box in front of their goalie and they pounce themselves on any rebound.

The Habs have been outshooting them badly but a lot of their shots on goal have been from the perimeter and they have also hit the posts or shot wide when looking at wide open nets and those don't even count as shots on goal.

If we lose the next one, it'll be all over and, once again, we'll be able to say "déja vu all over again".

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 08:59 AM
  #2
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003
 
The n00b King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
this series reminds me a lot of the series in 2002 when Theo was ******** the bed against Boston.

We were down 3-1 but we knew that we could beat them. And we did.

This is a very similar scenario.

habs in 6

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 09:01 AM
  #3
dutchy29
Registered User
 
dutchy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
Since winning the Cup in 1993, the Habs have played more than one round of playoffs only 4 times, in 1998, 2002, 2004 and 2008. Before this year, each time, after a valiant effort in the first round, we rolled over and died in the second round.

I still remember our brilliant victory against the mighty Penguins in 1998 where Vladimir Malahov put Jaromir Yagr in his hip pocket but the Habs disappeared in the next round, losing in 4 straight games to the Sabres with Dominic Hasek in goal. Our defeats in 2002 and 2004 are still fresh in our memory.

Will we see another disappearing act in the Conference semi-finals again this year? We shall see tomorrow night. If we lose again tomorrow night, we'll be down 1-3 and we'll have 2 wins and 5 losses in our last 7 playoff games which is pretty dismal.

Some will say we've been outplaying and outshooting our opponents but lady luck hasn't been on our side. I'm not so sure about that. The Flyers, as it was also the case with the Bruins have little offense and slow defensemen but they both play the intimidation game. Against their opponents' PP they keep a tight box in front of their goalie and they pounce themselves on any rebound.

The Habs have been outshooting them badly but a lot of their shots on goal have been from the perimeter and they have also hit the posts or shot wide when looking at wide open nets and those don't even count as shots on goal.

If we lose the next one, it'll be all over and, once again, we'll be able to say "déja vu all over again".
I don't know if the Habs have ever rolled over and died but I can tell by your personality that you have plenty. Win or lose next game we will be in this series, because we are a well matched team vs. Philly. A little momentum can go a long way.
I predict we will start that momentum with the first goal of the game, Game 4.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 09:04 AM
  #4
anarmandaleb
 
anarmandaleb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiding in a blanket
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,619
vCash: 500
I don't think they're rolling over and dying. I think they're just not getting the puck in the net and Price is not playing well. Poor kid, he must be just exhausted, mentally. To a certain extent, I also think it's just bad luck. I still believe we'll be fine. I'll worry if we lose Game 4.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 09:21 AM
  #5
Rahan
Registered User
 
Rahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
As I said in another thread, this series reminds me A LOT of the series against the Carolina Hurricanes.

I thought we dominated them in many of the 6 games (more than two), yet couldn't buy a goal and ended up losing because of fluky goals from Brind'amour and his fellow teammates.

This time around, it's R.J. Umberger and Mike Richards getting fluky, disgusting goals, and we can't score.

Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 09:51 AM
  #6
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
this series reminds me a lot of the series in 2002 when Theo was ******** the bed against Boston.

We were down 3-1 but we knew that we could beat them. And we did.

This is a very similar scenario.

habs in 6
I agree.
Back then, I really believed that Habs won the series even they trailed series 3-1.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 10:19 AM
  #7
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,027
vCash: 500
I don't think this year's situation is similar to past ones..
We were the underdogs in the previous years, unlike this year.

Carolina winning the Cup was a total fluke, them missing the POs with pretty much the same team, twice in a row after with winning it is proof of that.

There's only 1 reason why we're down 2-1 in this serie, Martin Biron. Im not gonna say he's been amazing, but man is he lucky. I don't remember Cam Ward being that lucky. Come to think of it..the whole team is lucky.. What is it 6-7 posts already?? When we have empty netters the puck bounces over the stick or the puck goes straight into Biron's glove with him not even looking...At the same time, we score in our own net, Carey drops a puck that lands on a knee of a player on the side of the net and it goes in. They shoot without scoring and it goes in. Their shots keep getting deflected by our players..

I mean, its pretty unbelievable when you think about it..i think they had maybe 1-2 goals that were clear.

If our goalie played as good as it could, with a bit more luck swinging on our side, we'd be up 3-0 already.
We're dominating them unlike we dominated Carolina or any other team in the past..We can win when our goalie is ordinary(Game1) but when its weak, with Biron's luck, we lose.

It all comes down to goaltending, as it always does in the series.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 10:31 AM
  #8
Brass
Registered User
 
Brass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: laurentides
Posts: 1,244
vCash: 500
I have a video that explains the Déja vu of the canadiens

quite similar.. but we will win ! http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jwj0gLriTnk&feature=related

Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 10:54 AM
  #9
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
its not deja vu

We are winning this series in 6.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:09 AM
  #10
rocketlives
Registered User
 
rocketlives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 793
vCash: 500
The team that wins tomorrow night will win the series. It's as simple as that. If the Habs tie the series in Philly tomorrow night, they'll show me they have balls and really want to advance.

Should they lose tomorrow night, they'll probably win the next one at the Bell Center in front of their fans. At the end of the game, they'll receive a standing O and will all wave their sticks to thank the fans for their support. Everybody will be happy.

Then, they'll go back to Philadelphia where they'll roll over and die. The Flyers will win by 3 or 4 goals and our boys will be pleased to go back home and enjoy the summer. Déja vu all over again.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:10 AM
  #11
stfs25
 
stfs25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
The difference with 2002 and 2004 second round playoff run is that this year we are the no.1 seed and favorite to go to the Eastern conference final ! And the other difference is in goal ! in 2002 and 2004 Theodore was fabulous in the first round and have some difficulty in the second ! (oh yeah, like this year in Colorado for Theo) So Price have to be better in the next 3-4 games ! and we will be in the Eastern Final !

stfs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 01:03 PM
  #12
SaveByHexy
Registered User
 
SaveByHexy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
The Flyers have little offense and slow defensemen but they both play the intimidation game.
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, as the Flyers scored the sixth-most goals in the league regular season, and lead the league in goal scoring in the playoffs thus far. Otherwise, it was a pretty fair, level-headed assessment of the Habs' predicament right now.

SaveByHexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 01:38 PM
  #13
brownman*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,229
vCash: 500
FWIW, they didn't roll over to Buffalo but actually put up a pretty decent fight. Unfortunately the Sabres net was impenetrable.

Unless you're Turner Stevenson

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 04:06 PM
  #14
Sir Jacques Demers
Registered User
 
Sir Jacques Demers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
its not deja vu

We are winning this series in 6.
So your saying, basically that the flyers won't win another game this year?

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 04:08 PM
  #15
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Jacques Demers View Post
So your saying, basically that the flyers won't win another game this year?
Yes... thats exactly what I'm saying.... We will win the next 3 in a row.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 05:16 PM
  #16
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 9,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Yes... thats exactly what I'm saying.... We will win the next 3 in a row.
Duly noted and saved for future reference. But then again, it isn't like you haven't been wrong before. Even when it comes to this series.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 05:19 PM
  #17
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
Duly noted and saved for future reference. But then again, it isn't like you haven't been wrong before. Even when it comes to this series.
I'd rather be wrong believing in my team... then be wrong predicting doom and gloom.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 05:21 PM
  #18
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 9,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I'd rather be wrong believing in my team... then be wrong predicting doom and gloom.
Or you could simply be objective and say what you really saw/thought of the series.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 05:30 PM
  #19
Rahan
Registered User
 
Rahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
Or you could simply be objective and say what you really saw/thought of the series.
What if that's exactly the reflection of what he saw in this series?

What the hell do you know?

He has every right to believe the Habs will win the series in 6 if you actually watched the games. The Habs outplayed philly badly..

That's being objective.

Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 05:33 PM
  #20
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 9,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
That's being objective.
A minor correction: that's being objective on the Habs board. If you wander around you might be surprised to read what neutral fans think.

It's not that I don't want our team to win it in six, believe me I do. But I don't see no evidence how this could be an easy task, if achievable at all.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 05:47 PM
  #21
Karl Pilkington
Registered User
 
Karl Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
A minor correction: that's being objective on the Habs board. If you wander around you might be surprised to read what neutral fans think.

It's not that I don't want our team to win it in six, believe me I do. But I don't see no evidence how this could be an easy task, if achievable at all.
Habs fans are bi-polar....

Doom and GLOOM!!!

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 07:09 PM
  #22
Nakamura
私はクソの葉を憎む
 
Nakamura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,099
vCash: 500
Two words: Yogi Berra

Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 07:12 PM
  #23
Habs_Apostle
Registered User
 
Habs_Apostle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
this series reminds me a lot of the series in 2002 when Theo was ******** the bed against Boston.

We were down 3-1 but we knew that we could beat them. And we did.

This is a very similar scenario.

habs in 6
That's a great analogy! Let's hope Price settles down or Halak comes in and plays solid. As long as we get solid goaltending (nothing spectacular), we should take this series.

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 07:16 PM
  #24
Kosti46
Registered User
 
Kosti46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I'd rather be wrong believing in my team... then be wrong predicting doom and gloom.

Kosti46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 07:44 PM
  #25
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever
 
Gret99zky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gamma Quadrant
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,633
vCash: 50
Adversity makes winning sweeter.

Habs in 6.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.