HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Great article: Give Price a chance to grow into his greatness

Old
04-29-2008, 10:31 AM
speed11

vCash: 500
Great article: Give Price a chance to grow into his greatness

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...8e96fce49e&p=2

"Next time you want to complain that he didn't make a particular save, next time you say you can't understand how a puck got by him, remember the birth-date. Remember what you were like when you were 20."

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 10:40 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
owned, and i agree 110% hes friggn 20 and amazing for a 20 year old. Hes not Martin Biron, Brodeur, Luongo. He is Carey Price and he needs friggn time to breath and develop, he is NHL ready but its a team effort.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 10:41 AM
anarmandaleb

He's right. I find I constantly have to remind myself that Price is only 20. That just makes him more awesome, to me. If he have flashes of greatness like this at that age, it scares me to think what he's going to be like in his mid-to-late twenties.
Accomplishing a hell of a lot more than those rioters ever will, for sure.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
owned, and i agree 110% hes friggn 20 and amazing for a 20 year old. Hes not Martin Biron, Brodeur, Luongo. He is Carey Price and he needs friggn time to breath and develop, he is NHL ready but its a team effort.
Glad about that.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:18 AM
TheCH*

Exactly, he is only 20 and it shows. So why put him through this? The habs have a chance at going far this year, our losses have been squarely on his shoulders this series and i can't see how thats a good thing for his confidence.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Miller Time

I'm sort of split on this one...

on the one hand, I COMPLETELY agree that he, individually, deserves a little slack. He's 20 years old, and already playing at an incredibly high level. Being so young, he's obvioulsy got some learning to do, and it would be foolish for anyone to not expect some growing pains.

on the other hand, this is the professional sports business. Gainey made the (i still say wrong) decision to trade away the veteran guy at the position and go with the rookie. You can talk until your blue in the face about how good this team "will be", but in the end, the only results that matter are wins, now (as Beakermania put it so bang on in another thread, I'd take no playoffs next year for a stanley cut any day of the week!), and rookie or not, IF he is not playing up to the level needed for the team to win, then he's a fair target for criticism, be he 20 years old, 25, 30 or 42...

personally, I don't even think he's been particularly bad this series. The only real bad game he's had, imo, was game 5 in Boston, otherwise he's just been mostly unlucky in the losses we've had. So I'm not very critical of his performance...
but if some people think he has been below expectations for the position, then it's certainly fair for them to be critical (though I'd argue with them that Gainey's to blame, not Price).

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

on the one hand, I COMPLETELY agree that he, individually, deserves a little slack. He's 20 years old, and already playing at an incredibly high level. Being so young, he's obvioulsy got some learning to do, and it would be foolish for anyone to not expect some growing pains.

on the other hand, this is the professional sports business. Gainey made the (i still say wrong) decision to trade away the veteran guy at the position and go with the rookie. You can talk until your blue in the face about how good this team "will be", but in the end, the only results that matter are wins, now (as Beakermania put it so bang on in another thread, I'd take no playoffs next year for a stanley cut any day of the week!), and rookie or not, IF he is not playing up to the level needed for the team to win, then he's a fair target for criticism, be he 20 years old, 25, 30 or 42...

personally, I don't even think he's been particularly bad this series. The only real bad game he's had, imo, was game 5 in Boston, otherwise he's just been mostly unlucky in the losses we've had. So I'm not very critical of his performance...
but if some people think he has been below expectations for the position, then it's certainly fair for them to be critical (though I'd argue with them that Gainey's to blame, not Price).
That sums up my thoughts pretty well (except the part where you say he's only been bad during game 5. So far against the Flyers he's been below average). Couldnt have said it any better.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:54 AM
otto bond

I want nothing but support going to Carey. At 20 he has done great and for me, it's time for the rest of the team to bail him out. Hard to do since gaolie are the go to guy. on the ice at all time but still possible.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 12:01 PM
SOLR

Quote:

Gainey's decision cant be analyzed by Carey's performance this year alone, in reality. Price is gaining valuable playoff experience and his errors this year might be out of the way when our team is even stronger next year. Gainey was confident and created a situation where Carey could have more icetime to develop, I don't see anything wrong with that.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Gainey's decision cant be analyzed by Carey's performance this year alone, in reality. Price is gaining valuable playoff experience and his errors this year might be out of the way when our team is even stronger next year. Gainey was confident and created a situation where Carey could have more icetime to develop, I don't see anything wrong with that.
well, I'd argue that what's wrong with that is that as a GM, part of your responsability is to give your team the best chance to win.
That's not to say you build/manage the team thinking ONLY about now, long-term devolpment considerations must be a big priority, but, in the business of sports entertainment, with fans forking over hundreds of $$ a ticket, there is still a responsability for icing the best team you can.

Gainey created a situation where Price gets more ice-time, but also a situation where he's thrown into an incredibly pressure filled situation, which as a 20 years old rookie, was a risky move no matter how you cut it.
Hopefully he bounces back in this series, and if not, hopefully his confidence doesn't get too rattled...

but going back to the title of the thread "Give Price a chance to grow into his greatness" , maybe those are words that Gainey should have considered a little more strongly before going for that 2nd round pick...

Old
04-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Teufelsdreck

Let's not forget that the Habs won one playoff round and Price had two shutouts. The Habs are only down 2-1. I'd certainly go at least another game with him. A few early goals by the Habs would help a lot.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 04:57 PM
brownman*

Price needs to win NOW.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 06:00 PM
pepperMonkey

Great article.
Loved the part where he said "You can read signs and portents all you want, parse seagull entrails, come up with bizarre number sequences that mean the Habs are supposed to win No. 25 this spring...."
lol, seagull entrails, priceless.
Pretty much agree with the article.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 06:12 PM
couris

Quote:

......What do we do next year if Huet already said that he's not resigning?

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 06:19 PM
le_sean

Quote:

Huet does not win that 1-0 game against Boston nor does he get out of the first period of Game 7 up 1-0.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 07:48 PM
JrHockeyFan

The Huetites need to give it up

Huet was not re-signing with Montreal. From his perspective the best thing for him was to be traded

Would Huet be doing better now? Nobody can tell. But wasn't the big knock on Huet the long shots going in? So exactly how are we ahead on that aspect

I loved what Huet did for the Habs. He's a great person. But we need to move forward

After watching lately I have a theory by the way. The Habs are a shot blocking team and the first impulse for Habs players is to get in the way of the shot. NOTE: A lot of times this works great for us. However: Is it possible that Habs goalies (whether it is Huet or Price or Halak) are going to get screened more often than other goalies.

It just occurred to me recently when I saw how many shots were blocked. But there are also missed blocks tracked. I wonder how we do on that aspect. A missed block is a screened shot and often gets deflected

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 03:29 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Huet does not win that 1-0 game against Boston nor does he get out of the first period of Game 7 up 1-0.
hey, does your crystal ball work for other things as well? if so, wanna give me a stock tip or two, come on man, share the wealth

Old
04-30-2008, 07:53 AM
katieboo

all those morons on the general hockey discussion board who said he was overrated and in reality sucks can shut up

katieboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 08:11 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
hey, does your crystal ball work for other things as well? if so, wanna give me a stock tip or two, come on man, share the wealth
For me - Lotto numbers please.

Is there anything more stupid than a discussion about goaltenders on this board?

What starts as a discussion of the team's performance and the possible tactical decision to switch to Halak for a game becomes an exercise in battling the HF boards Price Public Relations machine and trying to talk over restatements of old positions on Huet.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote