HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Claude Giroux

Old
04-29-2008, 11:48 AM
KingEli*

vCash: 500
Claude Giroux

So this story might be well known, but im not entirely familiar with it. I know that Giroux is from Hearst, Ontario, which probably doesnt get scouted much, but it is close to Thunder Bay, Ont, and I know Ryan Parent from Sioux Lookout came to TBay to play AAA, im curious as to how he (Giroux) got completely passed over in the OHL draft, and no on even offered him a contract. I mean this kid has had 3 straight 100pt seasons in the "Q". So how did no one notice him. Bad skater, just bad scouting,etc?

Thanks

KingEli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 12:43 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
well, I don't know how he got overlooked in the OHL draft but the Flyers didn't overlook him at the '06 NHL draft...#22 overall.

but just taking a guess, maybe it was his size. he was even very small(height/weight) when he was drafted by the Flyers.

FlyersGuy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 12:31 AM
droller*

I think it's just terrible scouting. i think the CHL drafts are very political in terms of where players are taken and which ones are.

you have your sure fire top 3 rounders... and then after that the "who gets picked" depends on you being borderline and knowing someone, or not. his OHL draft year was still around the clutch/grab era. little guy... it makes sense that the "scouts" didn't see him making it there.

he could have simply played on the "B" team rather than the "A" team. Scouts tend to only watch the top level.

he has always been able to put up points wherever he has played.

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 02:15 AM
nuckfan insk

vCash: 934
[QUOTE=FlyersGuy69;13916562]well, I don't know how he got overlooked in the OHL draft but the Flyers didn't overlook him at the '06 NHL draft...#22 overall. QUOTE]

can they remember his name now ?

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 07:22 AM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingEli View Post
So this story might be well known, but im not entirely familiar with it. I know that Giroux is from Hearst, Ontario, which probably doesnt get scouted much, but it is close to Thunder Bay, Ont, and I know Ryan Parent from Sioux Lookout came to TBay to play AAA, im curious as to how he (Giroux) got completely passed over in the OHL draft, and no on even offered him a contract. I mean this kid has had 3 straight 100pt seasons in the "Q". So how did no one notice him. Bad skater, just bad scouting,etc?

Thanks
not to be a nitpicker but Hearst is nowhere near Thunder Bay. You're talking about 350 miles of empty, lonely dreary highway. It's about the same distance from Philadelphia to Pittsburg & Toronto to Montreal.

He was noticed, by the way... he just wasn't considered a super top prospect... interestingly, just like Carter & Richards. We'll see if he works out to be a steal for the Flyers like those two were.

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 01:05 AM
Rpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
not to be a nitpicker but Hearst is nowhere near Thunder Bay. You're talking about 350 miles of empty, lonely dreary highway.
The next town west of Hearst, Longlac, where i grew up is a 220KM drive. With nothing in between. Most boring ride ever.

Giroux is my roommates cousin. She's pretty excited about him making the Flyers next year. I'm following his career closely and keeping her informed on what he's been doing.

Rpro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:34 AM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
not to be a nitpicker but Hearst is nowhere near Thunder Bay. You're talking about 350 miles of empty, lonely dreary highway. It's about the same distance from Philadelphia to Pittsburg & Toronto to Montreal.

He was noticed, by the way... he just wasn't considered a super top prospect... interestingly, just like Carter & Richards. We'll see if he works out to be a steal for the Flyers like those two were.
Not to be nitpicky either, but to a Thunder Bay person Hearst is relatively close when you consider that it takes about eight hours to get to any Canadian city of significant size.

And I am not bothering to check a map, but I don't think 350 miles is accurate at all. Do you mean kilometres? A big difference . . .

timlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:52 AM
OHLArenaGuide

Google maps shows it as 521 km (324 mi) - http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=f...e=UTF8&t=h&z=7

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 01:18 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLArenaGuide View Post
Google maps shows it as 521 km (324 mi) - http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=f...e=UTF8&t=h&z=7
Fair enough- I wont argue with that. It's a good example of how "close" is a question of context and perception.

timlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:52 AM
jiboy
Patience

vCash: 50
Claude Giroux is a pretty good player now let me tell you. He is facing my team in the Q final and he is clearly much better then any other players on both team.

He is the league best playoff scorer with something like 41 pts in 13 games. I really love this player , just sad he is drafted by the Flyers because he is going to hold his own in the NHL really soon. He makes everyone around him so much better , plays on the PK, a very good passer with surprising speed. He is the main reason why his team has reached the final by beating the Mooseheads Halifax in a upsetting sweep.

As to why he wasn't drafted by the OHL it's a mystery, some might argue his size and the place where he played didn't help but the fact is that Gatineau saw great things in him, props to them for seeing what others teams failed to.

jiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 02:44 AM
Tachycineta

[QUOTE=dannoabram;13929830]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69 View Post
well, I don't know how he got overlooked in the OHL draft but the Flyers didn't overlook him at the '06 NHL draft...#22 overall. QUOTE]

Lol, I actually watched the NHL.com abbreviated 1st round video of the 2006 draft today.

That was pretty funny but yeah, I can't wait to see this kid play in the NHL. Lucky Flyers fans.

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:37 PM
droller*

I think Claude Giroux is an awesome example as to why the CHL drafts are a joke. Lots of NHL players have gone undrafted in their CHL draft years.

Scotty Upshall went undrafted and then turned out being a top 10 pick... yikes!

Old
05-04-2008, 10:45 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
[QUOTE=dannoabram;13929830]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69 View Post
well, I don't know how he got overlooked in the OHL draft but the Flyers didn't overlook him at the '06 NHL draft...#22 overall. QUOTE]

Bobby Clarke didn't remember his name but Homer and the Flyers scouts knew it well.

FlyersGuy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:04 AM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1337 View Post
Claude Giroux is a pretty good player now let me tell you. He is facing my team in the Q final and he is clearly much better then any other players on both team.

He is the league best playoff scorer with something like 41 pts in 13 games. I really love this player , just sad he is drafted by the Flyers because he is going to hold his own in the NHL really soon. He makes everyone around him so much better , plays on the PK, a very good passer with surprising speed. He is the main reason why his team has reached the final by beating the Mooseheads Halifax in a upsetting sweep.

As to why he wasn't drafted by the OHL it's a mystery, some might argue his size and the place where he played didn't help but the fact is that Gatineau saw great things in him, props to them for seeing what others teams failed to.
I am from Rouyn, and the Huskies I think will be too much for Giroux. He is however the best player on the ice. The huskies 4 lines will simply be too much.

Go Huskies!

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:31 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by droller View Post
I think Claude Giroux is an awesome example as to why the CHL drafts are a joke. Lots of NHL players have gone undrafted in their CHL draft years.

Scotty Upshall went undrafted and then turned out being a top 10 pick... yikes!
To be fair though, drafting kids at that age, with limited resources (your average CHL team doesn't exactly have a team of scouts working for them full time) isn't the easiest thing to do.

I'd imagine that there is a lot of reliance on contacts in various hockey associations. It doesn't suprise me that certain players get missed, especially if they play in very isolated areas. All the more reason why if you'd get rewarded if you do your homework, and find the hidden gems.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:04 AM
droller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
To be fair though, drafting kids at that age, with limited resources (your average CHL team doesn't exactly have a team of scouts working for them full time) isn't the easiest thing to do.

I'd imagine that there is a lot of reliance on contacts in various hockey associations. It doesn't suprise me that certain players get missed, especially if they play in very isolated areas. All the more reason why if you'd get rewarded if you do your homework, and find the hidden gems.
You're completely right. The scouts of CHL teams are by no means qualified for the job. Most of it is volunteer work. You cannot tell me that a CHL team scout did not see him play at all though. I'm almost certain he was seen a few times and written off because he had no size, was 5'5 and skated circles around the big lugs that did get picked.

Old
05-05-2008, 11:12 AM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingEli View Post

Thanks
There is so much wrong with this post. First, Hearst is nowhere near T-Bay ... second, Ryan Parent never played in Thunder Bay. He left home to play in Southern Ontario. Third, players in remote areas often don't get scouted.

Edit: I take it back, apparently he did play in T-bay

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:17 AM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieRuzica View Post
There is so much wrong with this post. First, Hearst is nowhere near T-Bay ... second, Ryan Parent never played in Thunder Bay. He left home to play in Southern Ontario. Third, players in remote areas often don't get scouted.
Playing in Tbay i guarantee you they get scouted. when i played against tbay first year midget (their draft year) 8 players from that team got drafted in the OHL i think 4 of them went 1st round that year as well. Tbay is one of the few team in 'remote' areas that get scouted mainly because of the amount of travelling they do all year.

as for the CHL drafts well, WHL drafts their kids 2nd year bantam where as QMJHL and OHL does theirs after first year midget. and most teams do have a full time scouting staff. well i know the WHL they do anyways i cant say for sure about the other leagues. they dont pay well i can tell you that haha

Claude Giroux, im guessing hes just a late bloomer that never gave up, i mean look at David Perron for example the man was playing houseleague 5 years ago and now hes in the NHL, well something like that anyways some **** league i know that.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:19 AM
shooter11

Claude Giroux moved from Hearst when he was 13 or 14.
He played for Eastern Ontario as a 15 year old.
As a 16 year old he played for Cumberland Grads in CJHL.
CJHL is a heavily scouted league JR.A league in Ottawa
I have no idea why he was passed over twice...the two best players on Gatineau were both passed over in the OHL draft (Byron) as well.
Gatineau always has strong players from Ontario on the team

shooter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:22 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I'm very excited to see what he can do next season on a line with either Briere, Richards or Carter

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
I'm very excited to see what he can do next season on a line with either Briere, Richards or Carter
Take a look at what Radulov is doing, if you're curious enough.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:40 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
Take a look at what Radulov is doing, if you're curious enough.
From looking at his stats Radulov has played pretty well. That true? I know stats are misleading sometimes and I haven't watched much of the western conference teams.

Giroux played a couple games earlier with the flyers and looked pretty skilled with the puck. He has just got to gain some weight to be more effective. Giroux, Richards, JVR would be one heck of a line in the future.

Old
05-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
From looking at his stats Radulov has played pretty well. That true? I know stats are misleading sometimes and I haven't watched much of the western conference teams.

Giroux played a couple games earlier with the flyers and looked pretty skilled with the puck. He has just got to gain some weight to be more effective. Giroux, Richards, JVR would be one heck of a line in the future.
That would be three guys who are primarily playmakers. Not to say it wouldn't be an effective line, but Giroux and JVR were born to play with Carter.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:54 PM
flyersfan187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
That would be three guys who are primarily playmakers. Not to say it wouldn't be an effective line, but Giroux and JVR were born to play with Carter.
Sounds good to me too! Was having trouble putting them with Richards or Carter.

Old
05-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post
I am from Rouyn, and the Huskies I think will be too much for Giroux. He is however the best player on the ice. The huskies 4 lines will simply be too much.

Go Huskies!
Hope tonight wasn't the Huskies best effort. Giroux's Olympique with a 10 goal effort, him with another four points. The Flyers future looks stellar.