HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Should we worry?

Old
04-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Montreal Shadow

vCash: 500
Should we worry?

Yeah I know, Price has been shaky lately. Not denying it, the kid is great but, maybe he's not fully ready for the NHL, maybe he needs some more time to master some of his technics. It seems Gainey had a urge to play him, he even trade Huet so Price could be the legit n1 for Montreal. Wasn't it done too early? He's only 20, playing in the most difficult position in hockey. I know he's still a diamond in the dirt but I'm really starting to think they rushed just to get him to play. I like his attitude and everything, he's mature, calm and he has a great technic, but no mather what happens he's still just a 20 year old rookie.

Just look at the dumbasses on RDS, they compared Price's junior stats to Roy's. At the end they said: Yes, Price had the advantage on Roy. Seriously, how stupid you gotta be to say that when they didn't even play in the same era. They directly compare their NHL rookie seasons when Roy was playing in a much higher scoring NHL along with a good bunch of sucky goaltenders. At Roy's time you had what? 5 great goaltenders?? Today you have what? 10-15?? I don't know why these idiots tried to compare two different realities. I remember when Halak won his first NHL game, I'm not joking but in ''Le Journal de Montréal'' they were comparing him to Martin freakin Brodeur. Are journalists always this dumb??

Now, let's go for the pressure factor, just look around the boards, how many Price bashing threads there have been in the past 2 days?? Like 5?? People all call him overrated, they say he sucks, they say he won't be any good, they say we're crazy to project he'll be a superstar goalie. I still believe in him and I'll always believe in him. You remember when he allowed 10 goales in two games against Boston? Right after the 6th game, there was a thread in the Bruins section named ''Carey,Carey...you suck!'' I'm sure the retard who did this thread regret it because he knocked out Boston himself in game 7 by recording a shutout.
There is a lot of hype surrounding him, but, honestly, I want to ask from Montreal fans, each time the kid is shaky, can't we just get over it and move on? People just don't seem to get he's a rookie. How good do you expect him to be at this age?

They say he's overrated because some says he'll be a future superstar and some says he'll be as good as Roy. I'v never seen anyone around here say he was as good as Roy. They don't seem to get the difference between rating Price right now and rating his potential. Who around here honestly don't believe he'll be great. No one said he was already great, we think he'll be great and most of all, we hope he'll be great.

Now, to close this, should we worry, Carbonneau said he was ''ébranlé''(I think the english term is ''shook'' or shaken'') I hope he'll gain his confidence back, I hope he won't end crushed by all that pressure and all these idiots who say he's Roy second coming. He must bounce back, we just have to let him do his job. I never expected Montreal would make the playoffs let alone make it to the second round. Here they are, a young team with a young goalie. Let's just cheer for them and hope Price will bounce back from his bad performances.

Go habs Go!!!!

PS: I know, long ass read.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 04:55 PM
GoodKiwi

No, we should not worry.

With that said, the next game is a must win. If we lose tomorrow then it's too late to worry, because we're out. Then it won't matter who lost us those games - our goalies, our forwards or Youppi.

Although I will still hang Youppi regardless the outcome.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Montreal Shadow

Oh and:

2007: 19 years old

CHL Goaltender of the year
WJC Gold Medalist
WJC MVP
AHL Calder Cup Champion
AHL Playoffs MVP

2008: 20 years old

41GP
24-12-3
,920 save %
2.56 GAA
3 Shutout

That are AWESOME numbers for a 20 yo rookie goaltender

10GP
5-5-0
,907 save %
2.55GAA
2 Shutout

This is why we think he'll be a superstar goalie!!!

Old
04-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Guillemin

I don't buy this always calm thing. It works in the regular season, but in a critical game such as this, I want a little desperation and emotion from Carey.

I want him to be worried.

Dare I say it? I think Carey might need a little but of Tim Thomas.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
I didnt read anything but why should we worry?

we have no reason to do so.

Were simpy not getting bounces.
we have outplayed them in 2 games now. The puck will bounce our way tommorow night.

....were down 2-1, not 3-0.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
I didnt read anything but why should we worry?

we have no reason to do so.

Were simpy not getting bounces.
we have outplayed them in 2 games now. The puck will bounce our way tommorow night.

....were down 2-1, not 3-0.
Lol, if you had read you wouldn't have answered that. It isn't about the game but more about the goalie. I should have expected that post was way too long to caught attention.

Old
04-29-2008, 05:20 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montral Shadow View Post
Lol, if you had read you wouldn't have answered that. It isn't about the game but more about the goalie. I should have expected that post was way too long to caught attention.
Sorry, my ADD could not hold a candle to your original post!

Old
04-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
It doesn't really matter if he's nowhere near his potential yet. He has been pretty bad lately, but I don't think you can look at everything he's done (including in the NHL this year) and say he isn't ready to be at this level. There are going to be some growing pains, but everything he has left to learn is here.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 05:25 PM
GoodKiwi

Here's a hypothetical question for you people:

Do you think it's a fair game (to you as a fan) for our team to be throwing this series and playoffs under the bus so that our young goalie could get more experience and be better down the road? Is this an acceptable compromise to you or would you try to do everything you can to avoid a defeat even if it included going a different direction as far as team's goal tending goes?

Old
04-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montral Shadow View Post
lol, at least i was honest and said i didnt read it

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 05:30 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post

Do you think it's a fair game (to you as a fan) for our team to be throwing this series and playoffs under the bus so that our young goalie could get more experience and be better down the road? Is this an acceptable compromise to you or would you try to do everything you can to avoid a defeat even if it included going a different direction as far as team's goal tending goes?
Whatever happens a young goalie will be getting experience.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 05:36 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
I don't buy this always calm thing. It works in the regular season, but in a critical game such as this, I want a little desperation and emotion from Carey.

I want him to be worried.

Dare I say it? I think Carey might need a little but of Tim Thomas.
While I am so glad to finally have a goalie who (until recently) I would not worry about letting in crappy shots (am I alone in having, for the past decade that sinking feeling every time the opposition enters our zone?), the last few games have put me back on the edge of my seat. Obviously I understand this is the playoffs and anything can happen, but for the most part, the "calm" that defines Price has imbued a similar confidence in my own state of mind. It made me feel that same wave of "it's gonna be ok" that Roy used to provide (ref the Wink at Sandstrom...sp?, in 93).

Having said that, and ignoring the STATS, you can compare the personalities of the two, which DO underlie their play and efficacy at the position. Lately I have been wishing that Price didn't seem so apathetic (a fine line between that and composed). Roy had the passion and the fire and could back it up. We really don't know what Carey will bring to the table in the next few games. It's either going to be a learning step (if he doesn't perform), which is important, but disappointing given how the city is buzzing like never before and we are thirsting OR another historic and thrilling chapter in Habs' history (if this is a turning point leading to playoff heroics).

As he has admitted himself, his new role HAS in fact changed him, his attitude, his perspective, even his style (credit to Rollie). Perhaps his calm will absorb a certain level of emotion leading to the do whatever it takes attitude which makes a great goalie (above the rest, and what we tend to think of him). I think it's fair to say that the playoffs bring that out in you and hopefully these last few experiences (whether his fault or not) will be just what it takes to turn him into a Brodeur or Roy. Again, it's not that I expect it, just that whatever has happened so far is fertile grounds for an amazing turnaround and a suspenseful rise to glory. Look at Cam Ward in the year they won. Of course, that was out of left field, but he was still ABLE to do it and so is Carey. Unfortunately it's the bounces that will largely dictate his fate, but I will still stand behind Carey and get over my immediate disappointment (might take a month or two...I do study in Ontario) if he doesn't live up to the lofty expectations just yet.

Again, to refer to the quote, yes I would like to see a little more passion (although not at the expense of sensibility) and from last game (before it all went bad, and maybe a little afterwads), you could clearly see him getting physical with the flyers in front of the net.

When it comes to Habs and the playoffs, alot of us were still young when we last had a dominant team. We've been waiting so long for this, wearing our Habs jerseys through thick and thin and now we have a reason to believe that our passion will be validated. I am not one to turn to "faith", but I do truly think that we will prevail and at the hands of Carey Price. Carey Price AND Saku Koivu, and there's no scenario i'd enjoy more than that.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 05:40 PM
llamateizer

with huet the max that we got from him is a 1st round and elimination last season
and this year he didnt passed first round

so Price gets us further than Huet did
so he's more ready than you tthink

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 07:26 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Stop putting so much pressure on the kid. He doesn't need it, when he tries to play outside of his skill, he blunders.

Let Price do his thing and he'll be great. When will the people in Montreal realize that people crack with the amount of pressure they put on their players, unless they want to have a Theodore repeat.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
Stop putting so much pressure on the kid. He doesn't need it, when he tries to play outside of his skill, he blunders.

Let Price do his thing and he'll be great. When will the people in Montreal realize that people crack with the amount of pressure they put on their players, unless they want to have a Theodore repeat.
Why can't we talk about it? It's just a hockey forum not his personal e-mail account. We're not putting any pressure on him.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 07:41 PM
compile

vCash: 611
You people take everything way out of context... :|

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Rickkins

Worry...??
Hell no, why worry. Not like that will change anything one bit.
What ever is gonna happen, will happen. That's sports. Someone's gotta win, someone's gotta lose.

Life goes on.

Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
Getting momentum will be the key to victory this series.

Game 7 against Boston illustrated this perfectly.

We need that first goal to set the Flyers back on their heels.

Get momentum and get the bounces.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Travis Moen

If tomorrow we are 2 down after the 1st period, it will be time to worry.

My guess is that we'll easily win tomorrow, and by the time we return to rocky city, we'll be in the driver seat.

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 08:01 PM
hockeyguy10

Just a question here..Why is the coach (as per TSN) waiting until game time to make a decision on the starting goaltender?? Price is the real deal and the last thing he needs is a little more doubt in his mind that he can get the job done. Halak is not the answer. You live and die by your best and he is by far that for the Canadians. Just doesnt make sense to me.

hockeyguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 08:03 PM
hockeyguy10

and also who gave me a ****ing infraction for trolling?!?

hockeyguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 09:46 PM
goalchenyuk

Worry ?

We weren't suppose to be in the playoffs , but finished first and are in the second round of the finals .

By now , Price is the 3 th goaler of all the NHL history , to get 8 victories or + during the playoffs , at the age of 20 years old . Only Burke and Roy made it before him .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 10:06 PM
One Trick Pony

Price will have a game 7 performance. If he still plays bad, too bad. He would have learned ALOT for a first year.

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Rayne*

San Jose was supposed to beat Dallas too, and the Sharks are down 3 games to 0. We shouldn't worry yet. All goalies have bad games. Price will bounce back, as good goalies do.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 11:24 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post

The only alternative to Price would be Halak, and I believe he's played fewer NHL games than Price. Also, he hasn't played a full game in a long time. Would putting him in make you more secure? It wouldn't for me.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote