HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

toronto 7th overall pick

Old
04-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Attica

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Attica
The BPA, obviously.

You try to do to much with a pick in the 5-10 range, and you're going to ******* it up.

Watch for some team to take an early chance on Tyler Myers. His size and speed togather hint at dominance. Chara had to cut his teeth for a long time before he refined his game. Myer's already has the skating ability, and if he can put it all together, you're looking at a dominating physical d-man.

Attica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Why don't you guys just trade the pick for some established talent ? (hehehe)

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Transported Upstater

BPA. BPA. BPA. BPA.

How many times does it need repeating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffYear92 View Post
am i the only person on this forum who thinks at 7, CODY HODGSON IS OVER RATED ?

BOEDKER IS THE SAFE PICK AT 7TH
AND WILL DO MORE IN HIS NHL CAREER THAN CODY H.

MARK MY WORDS
I think Hodgson is a little overrated, but I've been told courtesy of a certain few that it's because I hate Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post

ANYONE WANNA PLAY DUMPSTER HOCKEY???I NEED TO MAKE MAD LOOTZ
O'Connor and Gatzos, Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attica View Post
The BPA, obviously.

You try to do to much with a pick in the 5-10 range, and you're going to ******* it up.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 07:14 AM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames14 View Post
what do you think is the best pick the leafs can make
Don't wanna sound cynical but do you think they'll trade it away for some player who 'really wants' to come and play in Toronto?

Gosh... I hope not...

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

heh some of these posts are cracking me up, good stuff guys. Seems to me the best choice for the Leafs would be either Hodgson or Wilson, but thats just my opinion.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 06:41 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat View Post
Brule is a much better skater, plays with more edge and has a ton of talent. He was rushed by an incredibly stupid organization in Columbus.
I take it easy on who your calling stupid bub...last I checked your team has missed the playoffs the last 3 years...not a whole of room to start throwing insults around.

As far as Brule... yeah he was rushed but he hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire on the multiple chances he's gotten either.. in fact he doesn't even have a point in AHL playoffs yet.

I'm not ready to call hiim a bust by any stretch but I will say his mediocure play sure as hell isn't all Columbus' fault.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 07:12 PM
JeffYear92*

The Leafs Need More Goals:
its plain and simple

Mikkel
Brings Speed(which they need)
Goals
And A Great Playmaker

he might be able to make the Jump into the NHL eariler than thought

i think he's ready

JeffYear92* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 05:01 AM
Azura

Mikkel Boedker's my choice if we're going with a forward. I just love his game and he's a treat to watch. I just hope the Leafs don't fall into the trap of only picking the hometown boy to play for his hometown team a la Cody Hodgson. I just don't see Hodgson as the type of player we should be targeting at 7th overall.

Azura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Covenant

Many posters talk of the big four dmen, however this should be the big five. Tyler Myers may be the first dman taken, he will be no worse than the third dman to go! It is quite conseivable that Pietrangelo will be available when the Leafs pick. Going before him, baring a huge surprise, will be the other four top dmen, Stamkos and Filatov.

Covenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Kardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azura View Post
Mikkel Boedker's my choice if we're going with a forward. I just love his game and he's a treat to watch. I just hope the Leafs don't fall into the trap of only picking the hometown boy to play for his hometown team a la Cody Hodgson. I just don't see Hodgson as the type of player we should be targeting at 7th overall.
we never did that in the first place, we love to draft euros

Kardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:43 AM
daethfromabove1979

i'm willing to bet that filatov will be around at 7 and the leafs will take him

daethfromabove1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Azura

I don't think he gets past the Islanders at 5. If Pietrangelo falls to the Leafs, I'll be a very happy camper!

Azura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 12:54 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingme00 View Post
It might be a possiblity. With Stamkos going to TB and LA/Lombardi likely to go off the board with Mubasa Kwanzibubu from Central Nigeria, there's a chance one of the big 4 will still be around.
Now that is funny.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Theron
#beauty

Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
1. Luke Schenn
2. Mikkel Boedker/Cody Hodgson

Straight up...

Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 03:13 PM
MM425

BPA. Plain and simple.

They've got needs pretty much everywhere in terms of their prospect pool... start building towards the future with a stud prospect.

Pietrangello, Schenn, Boedker, Filatov, Hodgson, and Wilson could all be available at 7... all of them would be good picks.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 05:29 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
Many posters talk of the big four dmen, however this should be the big five. Tyler Myers may be the first dman taken, he will be no worse than the third dman to go!
Wow! This is an opinion I've never heard before. I'd like to hear more about it from you. Why is it that you say no more than two defenseman will be picked before him? How did you come to this conclusion? I don't disagree(I'm too ignorant on the subject to really have an opinion), I just really like hearing contentious points of view explained. It gives me something to think about.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 05:34 PM
LeftCoast

vCash: 50
If Toronto picks Boedker over Hodgson Don Cherry's head will explode.

So as much as I would like Boedker to be available when the Canucks pick at #10, just to see Grapes reaction it might be worth it.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Smallz

Hodgson

Smallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
If Toronto picks Boedker over Hodgson Don Cherry's head will explode.

So as much as I would like Boedker to be available when the Canucks pick at #10, just to see Grapes reaction it might be worth it.
If we take Boedker at #7, Don Cherry won't be the only one who's pissed the hell off...

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHope07 View Post
I just don't want to see the leafs draft the next Robyn Regehr or Adam Foote at the #7 slot.

Too high to draft a defensive D-man even if he is a stud.
Whats wrong with RR or adam foote? Thats a pretty lame prognosis.

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:09 PM
CtB

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Whats wrong with RR or adam foote? Thats a pretty lame prognosis.
What's even funnier is that the Leafs have been dying for a defenseman like RR or Foote. While I'd prefer a potential top-line forward at #7, I'd gladly accept Schenn if that is who the Leafs pick.

CtB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:19 PM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
If we take Boedker at #7, Don Cherry won't be the only one who's pissed the hell off...
Why the hate for Boedker TU? I'd say next to Stamkos, Boedker could be the next best "talent" in the draft.

If your worried about him being Euro and not being physical or defensively responsible, don't be. Kitchener runs a very pro style team and the kid has bought in and matured leaps and bounds since the start of the year. In the games I've seen this OHL playoffs, he's been Kitchener's best player and many times the best player on the ice (27 points in 15 games played).

He's got superstar potential IMO. However I guess you don't have to worry because I've got a hunch he's not going to available at 7. I think he sneaks into the top 5 and gets picked by St. Louis or the Isles.

Last edited by MM425: 05-03-2008 at 11:41 PM.
MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:25 PM
eightyseven

Hodgson is not overrated. If anything, he is underrated. He had only recently started to climb the rankings chart.

For the sake of the Leafs organization (and future state of the team), they'd be smart to pick Hodgson, a good all-around player and he can be groomed to be the next captain or the face of the franchise (much like Toews and Kane are in Chicago) since Sundin will retire either this year or next year.

Don't get me wrong, Boedker is good, and he is a great skater! I've watched a few Kitchener games on TV (Sportsnet or Rogers) or purchase them live, and he's a good player but still needs work on his defensive skills. He also doesn't aggressively forecheck either. Of course, these two aspects may have improved from then, but from I've seen of him, he likes to skate around the net and is aware of where his teammates are. Once he has the puck, he is dangerous. So I think, even though Boedker may be more entertaining to watch, Hodgson is still a great choice at #7 and is probably a lot more fitting for the Leafs organization since they shouldn't expect Alex Steen and Matt Stajan (YIKES!) to carry the load. I definitely think Hodgson, should he continue to get stronger, will put up more points in the NHL than Steen or Stajan. Yes, I know that Hodgson isn't exactly a great hitter and doesn't play an aggressive style, but he will battle for pucks and is very hard-working in every area of his game.

I also think Fletcher will pick more Canadian prospects from now on, seeing as how in the past, they had picked mostly Europeans or Americans from the NCAA and this team seems to be going nowhere, and there are questions about the work ethic of the players, whether they really want to win the Stanley Cup, etc. However, I DON'T necessarily think Canadian players are better (See Alex Ovechkin!) but I feel that this is the direction Fletcher will take-he also wants to get bigger, stronger=more aggressive so Boedker wouldn't fit that description. If anything, it would be Kyle Beach (red flag!).

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:48 PM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingme00 View Post
It might be a possiblity. With Stamkos going to TB and LA/Lombardi likely to go off the board with Mubasa Kwanzibubu from Central Nigeria, there's a chance one of the big 4 will still be around.
I can already imagine the riot that will follow THAT pick... It would make the Rodney King riot look like a kindergarten picnic...

He MAY go off the board with the Dallas pick though...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:55 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

Pretty sure it will be one of Schenn, Hodgson, Boedker or Wilson, possibly Myers. The two I like are Hodgson and Boedker, both are so different and bring different skills to the table, I don't know who I would rather have, I guess whoever has the smaller chance to be a bust.

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote