HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

toronto 7th overall pick

Old
05-04-2008, 09:54 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 500
No way Schenn falls to the Leafs at 7th overall. He will get picked up by Columbus at #6 overall. If Boedker sneeks into the top 5, this means that Filatov, Hodgson, or Pietrangelo will be available at #7th overall.

#1) TB - Steven Stamkos
#2) LA - Drew Doughty
#3) ATL - Zach Bogosian
#4) STL - Alex Pietrangelo
#5) NYI - Mikkel Boedker
#6) CLB - Luke Schenn
#7) TOR - Nikita Filatov
#8) PHX - Cody Hodgson

Or

#1) TB - Steven Stamkos
#2) LA - Drew Doughty
#3) ATL - Zach Bogosian
#4) STL - Mikkel Boedker
#5) NYI - Nikita Filatov
#6) CLB - Luke Schenn
#7) TOR - Alex Pietrangelo
#8) PHX - Cody Hodgson

Or

#1) TB - Steven Stamkos
#2) LA - Drew Doughty
#3) ATL - Zach Bogosian
#4) STL - Mikkel Boedker
#5) NYI - Nikita Filatov
#6) CLB - Alex Pietrangelo
#7) TOR - Luke Schenn/Cody Hodgson
#8) PHX - Cody Hodgson/Luke Schenn

That would be awesome for Leafs fans. One of Cody Hodgson, Nikita Filatov, Mikkel Boedker, Alex Pietrangelo are gauranteed to be Leafs at the end of the 1st round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. Hopefully, Cliff gets us another 1st round pick, and we draft Joe Colborne!

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:06 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Please stop giving Phoenix Hodgson. Thanks. If you are going to give all the guys I like away before our pick, at least give us Wilson.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Believe the only way Toronto drafts a D-man is if Pietrangelo falls, and thats not happening.

Vincent_TheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Please stop giving Phoenix Hodgson. Thanks. If you are going to give all the guys I like away before our pick, at least give us Wilson.
Saying such a thing on our board got me branded as anti-Canadian...you better watch yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat View Post
Believe the only way Toronto drafts a D-man is if Pietrangelo falls, and thats not happening.
If Schenn falls and we don't pick him, I'll be pissed.
If Pietrangelo falls and we pass, I'm going to burn Fletcher's house down.

But I agree with you, I don't think any of the "Big 4" defensemen will be available.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 06:43 PM
eightyseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Geez, you're really underrating Hodgson but sure, my Sens team would gladly take him, if only he was available then. You do know that Wilson and Hodgson play similar styles but Hodgson's skating is slightly better and Wilson is bigger?

Plus, Phoenix shouldn't be drafting a forward, what they really need is a good D-man because that is their weakest area! And I don't believe they have that much depth in terms of defensive prospects.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 06:45 PM
eightyseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
Saying such a thing on our board got me branded as anti-Canadian...you better watch yourself!
Wilson was actually raised in Winnpeg, Canada. But he decided his best buddies in the NDTP program were representing USA, so he decided to join them. Plus, he was prob. guaranteed a spot on Team USA, which made the decision easier.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:

If Schenn falls and we don't pick him, I'll be pissed.
If Pietrangelo falls and we pass, I'm going to burn Fletcher's house down.

But I agree with you, I don't think any of the "Big 4" defensemen will be available.
And I'll be pissed if we take Schenn

Vincent_TheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Bills09

Quote:
why would you be pissed about us taking an elite shudown defencemen whos able to throw huge open ice hits and is a physical force.

Bills09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Jonas1235

I'm not sure why people think the Leafs defense is so horrible, if they can get rid of McCabe and Kubina then they could have Stralman, Kaberle, White, Coliacovo, Wazniewski(SP) and a player from the Marlies.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
I'm not sure why people think the Leafs defense is so horrible, if they can get rid of McCabe and Kubina then they could have Stralman, Kaberle, White, Coliacovo, Wazniewski(SP) and a player from the Marlies.
Those three are the problem. White and Woz arn't NHL defensemen and Coli just finished his 80 somethingth game this year, FIVE years into his career. Hes good, but made of glass.

I'd jump to the roof if we ended up getting Schenn. A Schenn/Stralman pairing going into the future looks pretty good to me.

Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:07 PM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franey97 View Post
Those three are the problem. White and Woz arn't NHL defensemen and Coli just finished his 80 somethingth game this year, FIVE years into his career. Hes good, but made of glass.

I'd jump to the roof if we ended up getting Schenn. A Schenn/Stralman pairing going into the future looks pretty good to me.
Agreed. Theres a good chance Schenn could crack the Leaf's lineup next season especially if Kubina and/or McCabe is traded

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills09 View Post
why would you be pissed about us taking an elite shudown defencemen whos able to throw huge open ice hits and is a physical force.
Because it seems that after years of painful mediocrity on the blue-line that certain Leaf fans have forgotten what a defenseman actually is.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Transplanted Caper

BPA
BPA
BPA

I can't stress this enough. We're talking about someone who might not be on the team for a few years, so what the holes are now are irrelevant and always should be when making a pick.

TAKE THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE WHO YOU THINK WILL HAVE THE BIGGEST IMPACT IN HIS CAREER.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
So of the 8 players named (including the undertermined "player from the Marlies"), the Leafs get rid of the 2nd and 3rd best, and their defense supposedly gets better?

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
Wilson was actually raised in Winnpeg, Canada. But he decided his best buddies in the NDTP program were representing USA, so he decided to join them. Plus, he was prob. guaranteed a spot on Team USA, which made the decision easier.
That wasn't really the point.

Quote:
Fair enough. Pietrangelo we both agree with, though; there's no question that he's a far better prospect than Cody Hodgson.

Quote:
Haha, I needed a laugh.

Old
05-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
So of the 8 players named (including the undertermined "player from the Marlies"), the Leafs get rid of the 2nd and 3rd best, and their defense supposedly gets better?
OF COURSE! MCCABE IS TEH WORSTEST DEFENSEMAN IN TEH LEAgue BECUZ I SAW HIM SCORE ON HIS OWN NET ONCE LOLZWTFBBQ!!!!one

Old
05-04-2008, 11:32 PM
RangerRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
BPA
BPA
BPA

I can't stress this enough. We're talking about someone who might not be on the team for a few years, so what the holes are now are irrelevant and always should be when making a pick.

TAKE THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE WHO YOU THINK WILL HAVE THE BIGGEST IMPACT IN HIS CAREER.
I agree and I believe that a lot of people involved in this discussion do as well but they're really debating who is the best player available at 7th Overall. Personally, I'm trying to understand the hostility being directed at Boedker. I'm trying to understand if it's a genuine dislike of his playing style or just a superficial homage to "Canadian Only!" conformity. Right now, the kid is second in OHL playoff scoring behind only the OHL MVP (Justin Azevedo). So, I'm having problems understanding the hostility toward him.

RangerRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Breakaway23*

Would the Leafs unload one of Kubina/Tucker/Kaberle/McCabe in hopes of either moving up or maybe acquiring two top 10 picks? I would tend to think only Kaberle has the potential to be a top 10 pick?

Or are they going to hold onto these marbles and use them next year to target Tavares and/or maybe Hedman?

I wonder if they might float around Stajan or Steen along with the 7th pick to try and move up in the draft?

Interestingly enough, LA holds two picks in the first round. Toronto might be able to flip that pick and another played to get the #2, then perhaps flip the #2 pick to Tampa for the #1 pick.

The Leafs get Stamkos...Tampa gets a defenseman(who they need most anyways)...LA likely gets a defenseman as well. LA gets another forward or defenseman later in the draft.

Breakaway23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Fair enough. Pietrangelo we both agree with, though; there's no question that he's a far better prospect than Cody Hodgson.
This is why people end up looking bad, and teams get steals.

Hodgson is a tremendous player.

Old
05-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Breakaway23*

I would be happy with any of Hogdson/Wilson or Filatov. Boedker seems to be increasing his stock, and Schenn seems to be falling somewhat.

Filatov is climbing, and Hodgson and Wilson are neck and neck with their stocks plateauing.

Now the question is who is avaliable at the pick and who will the Leafs choose?

I think here's how they break it down:

1)Filatov
2)Hodgson
3)Boedker
4)Wilson
5)Schenn

I know one thing is for sure. They've got trader-Cliff at the helm, so expect the unexpected. Anything's possible on draft day. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see Toronto trade the pick and move down, not up.

Breakaway23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:26 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
No way Schenn falls to the Leafs at 7th overall. He will get picked up by Columbus at #6 overall. If Boedker sneeks into the top 5, this means that Filatov, Hodgson, or Pietrangelo will be available at #7th overall.

#1) TB - Steven Stamkos
#2) LA - Drew Doughty
#3) ATL - Zach Bogosian
#4) STL - Alex Pietrangelo
#5) NYI - Mikkel Boedker
#6) CLB - Luke Schenn
#7) TOR - Nikita Filatov
#8) PHX - Cody Hodgson

Or

#1) TB - Steven Stamkos
#2) LA - Drew Doughty
#3) ATL - Zach Bogosian
#4) STL - Mikkel Boedker
#5) NYI - Nikita Filatov
#6) CLB - Luke Schenn
#7) TOR - Alex Pietrangelo
#8) PHX - Cody Hodgson

Or

#1) TB - Steven Stamkos
#2) LA - Drew Doughty
#3) ATL - Zach Bogosian
#4) STL - Mikkel Boedker
#5) NYI - Nikita Filatov
#6) CLB - Alex Pietrangelo
#7) TOR - Luke Schenn/Cody Hodgson
#8) PHX - Cody Hodgson/Luke Schenn

That would be awesome for Leafs fans. One of Cody Hodgson, Nikita Filatov, Mikkel Boedker, Alex Pietrangelo are gauranteed to be Leafs at the end of the 1st round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. Hopefully, Cliff gets us another 1st round pick, and we draft Joe Colborne!
Filatov and Pietrangelo will almost certainly be gone.

You will have a choice of Hodgson and Boedker, I agree. But, Fletcher might opt for Myers or Wilson instead. So, I wouldn't count on getting any of these guys.

05-05-2008, 06:09 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
What would be amazing is if one of the top four defensemen fell, but I'm not counting on that.

After the four defensemen, the guy I like the best is Colin Wilson. But I wouldn't be disappointed with Cody Hodgson. Filatov I could tolerate, but I'm not a huge fan.

I don't want Boedker.
You will not get a chance to get him. You want one of the top 4 but don't expect stardum out of those players right away over even 5 years from now. Pietrangelo could very well have a Coburn type development and not become an impact player for 5 or 6 years, are you willing to be that patient with a prospect like that. Schenn while I feel could be a #1 defensmen he may taper off just like Bryan Allen did and provide no offense.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Fozz

Let's face it, except for goalies, the Leafs need help everywhere and their prospect pool isn't deep at any position. So they have to go with who they think is the BPA. If there are still 3 or 4 guys they like that are available when they pick 7th, I think they might even trade down a few spots and get an extra 2nd round pick in the process.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Let's face it, except for goalies, the Leafs need help everywhere and their prospect pool isn't deep at any position. So they have to go with who they think is the BPA. If there are still 3 or 4 guys they like that are available when they pick 7th, I think they might even trade down a few spots and get an extra 2nd round pick in the process.
Wrong. We're shallow on goalies too.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHope07 View Post
I just don't want to see the leafs draft the next Robyn Regehr or Adam Foote at the #7 slot.

Too high to draft a defensive D-man even if he is a stud.
An 18 year old Robyn Regehr or Adam Foote isn't worth the 7th pick to you

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote