HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal/Ottawa Proposal

Old
04-30-2008, 02:27 AM
Koivu84*

vCash: 500
Montreal/Ottawa Proposal

To Ottawa:
Andrei Markov
Maxim Lapierre

To Montreal:
Jason Spezza
2nd Round Draft Pick

Koivu84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 02:33 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koivu84 View Post
To Ottawa:
Andrei Markov
Maxim Lapierre

To Montreal:
Jason Spezza
2nd Round Draft Pick
value wise it's not terrible, though I fail to see how it really helps either team's pressing needs.

Habs were already the highest scoring team in the league, and have two solid, if unspectacular, playmaking centres. Taking out Markov leaves a massive hole on defense that would kill the team, and up front we need a finisher more than anything else.

For the sens, Markov would certainly be an great replacement/upgrade for Redden, but taking away Spezza switches them from being a team with trouble finding secondary scoring to a team that has trouble scoring period...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 02:36 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Montreal does this in a second. Their cast of forwards would easily be the best in the league and while Markov is terrific, I think Jason Spezza is too good to turn down.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 06:45 AM
Redden Punches Faces*

what a pile

Redden Punches Faces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 07:25 AM
Captain_Cunney

Ottawa passes.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Montreal does this in a second. Their cast of forwards would easily be the best in the league and while Markov is terrific, I think Jason Spezza is too good to turn down.
Er, no. Markov is a critical component to the Habs. Granted, Spezza is better than Plekanec or Koivu at centre. But the step up from them to Spezza isn't remotely worth creating the gaping and unfillable hole we'd be left with if Markov wasn't on our defense. Montreal wouldn't remotely consider this deal.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Penner getrdonebryan

I can't see Montreal and Ottawa switching star players , but a small deal I could see happening . Ottawa needs a franchise goaltender and Montreal needs a gritty forward who can change the momentum with a big hit

Ottawa sends :
Foligno

Montreal :
Halak

Ottawa has a nice group of forwards and even though Foligno might be a rugged winger who can score +25 goals , Halak could turn into a very solid starting goaltender . Montreal does this because they are a soft team , Price is their future goaltender and they need to bring a back-up from whom Price could learn

Thoughts?

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 08:58 AM
habs fan uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmyn View Post
Montreal does this because they are a soft team
Where you missing a ?

habs fan uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:01 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Ottawa sends :
Foligno

Montreal :
Halak

Thoughts?
I can't see this being remotely interesting to Ottawa either. I don't see what reason they should have to think that Halak is any better than their own goaltending prospects, while Foligno has looked very good as a very young forward for them. It's just a total market mismatch. Even if they did want to go outside the organization to get a goaltending prospect, they could probably find one quite easily without parting with an asset of the high calibre of Foligno.

Old
04-30-2008, 09:05 AM
Penner getrdonebryan

Aside from Elliot we don't have any other goaltending prospects . Halak could be Gerber's back-up next season ,and in two years we'll have a good young combo in Halak-Elliot with both fighting for the starting job . Foligno is great , but with no goaltending we aren't going anywhere ...sorry

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:18 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Is the OP the new insane666 or what?

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:27 AM
dubey
Registered Genius

Ottawa does this when Markov starts scoring 100 points per season.

(never)

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Aside from Elliot we don't have any other goaltending prospects . Halak could be Gerber's back-up next season ,and in two years we'll have a good young combo in Halak-Elliot with both fighting for the starting job . Foligno is great , but with no goaltending we aren't going anywhere ...sorry
But the point is you could sign some free agents or maybe trade a 2nd rounder for some other team's surplus goaltending prospect, rather than be forced to part with Foligno for one. If you think Foligno is particularly good, that is. I don't see him as much as an Ottawa fan would. But my impression is that he's already showing himself to be more than full value for a late 1st. So why pay good 1st round pick value for something you ought to be able to get cheaper?

Old
04-30-2008, 10:06 AM
JackBauer

spezza will go to montreal, if they send us Price.
that's not a comment on the value, it's just a comment that spezza is going nowhere unless we get a stud goalie in return.

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:30 AM
jamiebez

Quote:
To Ottawa:
Andrei Markov
Maxim Lapierre

To Montreal:
Jason Spezza
2nd Round Draft Pick
Markov's a very good defenseman on a good contract, and we certainly need one of those, but Spezza's a better center than Markov is a defenseman. And, he's five years younger to boot.

Big "no" from me.

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
I can't see Montreal and Ottawa switching star players , but a small deal I could see happening . Ottawa needs a franchise goaltender and Montreal needs a gritty forward who can change the momentum with a big hit

Ottawa sends :
Foligno

Montreal :
Halak

Ottawa has a nice group of forwards and even though Foligno might be a rugged winger who can score +25 goals , Halak could turn into a very solid starting goaltender . Montreal does this because they are a soft team , Price is their future goaltender and they need to bring a back-up from whom Price could learn

Thoughts?
A big NO to this deal, Foligno looks like he is going to be a good one. The kid was basically our best player when it counted, we don't have enough guys who step it up in the postseason, trading one of the few we have would be incredibly stupid.

Along with the fact that Foligno seems to have the potential to be the "top 6 forward who plays with an edge" that we have needed for about, uh er uh, EVER.

Foligno won't be moved.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Ottawa got a lot worse when Joe Corvo left. The reason for this is they lacked a true puck-moving defence since Redden is terrible now. Trying to say Ottawa loses this deal and wouldn't do it is absolutely hilarious, a guy like Vermette can easily get 60-70 points playing on a top line with Alfie and Heatley and add in a top 10 D in the league who can chip in 55-60 points and significantly help their PP and Ottawa greatly improves their team.

From Montreal's point of view it doesn't make sense, it would bump Plekanec or Koivu to the 3rd line and they'd be without their #1 d.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Ottawa does this when Markov starts scoring 100 points per season.

(never)
Do you seriously expect people to take your posts seriously (especially Ottawa fans) when you have a Mark Bell avatar?

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Redden Punches Faces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post
Ottawa got a lot worse when Joe Corvo left. The reason for this is they lacked a true puck-moving defence since Redden is terrible now. Trying to say Ottawa loses this deal and wouldn't do it is absolutely hilarious, a guy like Vermette can easily get 60-70 points playing on a top line with Alfie and Heatley and add in a top 10 D in the league who can chip in 55-60 points and significantly help their PP and Ottawa greatly improves their team.

From Montreal's point of view it doesn't make sense, it would bump Plekanec or Koivu to the 3rd line and they'd be without their #1 d.
Ignoring the fact that the Sens were crap long before Corvo was traded, it is still laughable that you think Ottawa should do this or would win out if it happened.

Redden Punches Faces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 11:54 AM
TheHMan

Quote:

Ottawa didn't collapse when we lost Corvo, there were deeper problems with the team that extended way before he left. Coaching and injuries/fatigue throughout the year would be suspect for me.

Vermette was good down the stretch, but Spezza was perhaps the more consistent producer and playmaker for a long while. He's put up around 90 points a year for the last couple years and he's only expected to get better. He's the type of guy you build teams around and to give him up for a puck moving Defenseman is an incredibly lopsided trade in Montreal's favor.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:

Ottawa loses the best player and a high draft pick for a very good dman and a 4th liner. How does this make sense to you? Now, replace Markov with Weber and Lapierre with Legwand and we've got a deal.

Dick Whitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 12:04 PM
ARS

Pass, Spezza has more value than Markov, and Markov is not what this team needs.

Not to mention that the Habs and the Sens don't make good trade partners at all simply because they're in the same division.

ARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Pass from Montreal.

Markov is too important of a piece on our backend. He's maybe a Top-5 defenseman (at minimum Top-10) in the entire NHL.

Tomas Plekanec as the 3rd line centre is ****ing stupid.

I'll also keep Lappy over a 2nd.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Dick Whitman

Lidstrom
Chara
Niedermayer
Pronger
Phaneuf
Gonchar
Weber
Bouwmeester
Markov

Top 10, sure, but not even close to top 5.

Anyways, it's a moot point as Ottawa could get more for Spezza if he were ever available.

Dick Whitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
To Ottawa:
Andrei Markov
Maxim Lapierre

To Montreal:
Jason Spezza
2nd Round Draft Pick
Congratuglations this is the worst deal I have EVER seen in my life

How about Carey Price and a 2nd for Andrej Meszaros and Chris Niel?

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote