HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Montreal/Ottawa Proposal

Old
05-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Pass from Montreal.

Markov is too important of a piece on our backend. He's maybe a Top-5 defenseman (at minimum Top-10) in the entire NHL.

Tomas Plekanec as the 3rd line centre is ****ing stupid.

I'll also keep Lappy over a 2nd.
Hahahhahahhahah you Habs fans over-value your players

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
Hahahhahahhahah you Habs fans over-value your players
How do you figure?

Spezza is great, yeah. But if we are upgrading at centre, we need size.

Tomas Plekanec & Saku Koivu may not be as good as Spezza offensively (though better defensively).. but they good enough to be our Top-2 centres..

Seriously;

Higgins - Spezza - Kovalev
Latendresse - Koivu - Ryder (whoever)
Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Streit - Chipchura - Kostopoulos
Begin, Stewart

Roman Hamrlik - Ryan O'Byrne
Mike Komisarek - Josh Gorges
Francis Bouillon - Pavel Valentenko
Mathieu Dandenault

OR

Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Koivu - Kovalev
Higgins - Chipchura - Grabovski (Ryder)
Streit - Lapierre - Kostopoulos
Begin, Stewart

Andrei Markov - Mike Komisarek
Roman Hamrlik - Pavel Valentenko
Josh Gorges - Ryan O'Byrne
Francis Bouillon

I'll take line-up #2 every time.

PS. This is not saying that the value is not there for the trade (because it is, obviously).. but need-wise, I think we are better off with a real #1 defenseman then a bunch of guys who are better suited for the #2 pairing.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
How do you figure?

Spezza is great, yeah. But if we are upgrading at centre, we need size.

Well, I will point out that Spezza is 6-3, albeit he doesn't really use it to pound defencemen physically.

I think both teams pass. We'd basically have no centres to carry the offensive load (especially with O'Brien not turning a pro until '09) and would have a lot of trouble scoring.

Meanwhile, Montreal gets insane forward depth but Markov is too critical a piece on the blue-end, especially since McDonagh isn't ready to take his place.

I do like Markov though. Great defenceman.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asquaredx2 View Post
Well, I will point out that Spezza is 6-3, albeit he doesn't really use it to pound defencemen physically.
Exactly. Spezza had 18 hits all year..

By big centre I mean someone like Ryan Getzlaf, Tuomo Ruutu, Vincent Lecavalier, Mike Richards, etc.

Someone who averages more than a hit a game and can be an offensive threat.. that's what we need if we are upgrading..

Though I'm confident with Pleks & Koivu as our Top-2 centres. If anything, we could use another winger.

Old
05-03-2008, 11:45 AM
mayoradamwest*

I don't know whats funnier; the OP or the suggestion Montreal would turn this down.

mayoradamwest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayoradamwest View Post
I don't know whats funnier; the OP or the suggestion Montreal would turn this down.
Haha, I think whats funniest is all the Sens face with heads stuck up their *****.

Montreal WOULD turn this down because it makes us a WORSE team.

Jason Spezza, without a doubt, is the best player in the proposal. And losing Maxxy Lappy isn't that big of a deal..

but when you look at NEED.. this KILLS us. We become a worse defensive team (both forwards and defense).. and our defense becomes Columbus like.

We are happier with a 60 PTS defenseman and a 70 point centre rather than 90 point centre.. that's all.

It doesn't help either team.

Old
05-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Kamina
Amok

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koivu84 View Post
To Ottawa:
Andrei Markov
Maxim Lapierre

To Montreal:
Jason Spezza
2nd Round Draft Pick
Are you serious? Montreal wins this trade by a mile, but then their defence is in shambles. Terrible for both teams.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:

We are happier with a 60 PTS defenseman and a 70 point centre rather than 90 point centre.. that's all.

Why does adding Spezza preclude you from having Plekanec?

If anything you could trade Plekanec for someone like Suter and sign a UFA defenseman like Liles to further bridge the gap. On this end, your offense and defense would improve.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Why does adding Spezza preclude you from having Plekanec?

If anything you could trade Plekanec for someone like Suter and sign a UFA defenseman like Liles to further bridge the gap. On this end, your offense and defense would improve.
Spezza is 30 points or so better than Plekanec. Getting him would basically just be that 30 point upgrade, and not really mean anything else to the Habs. You'd take it before you took a kick in the head, for sure. But you wouldn't give up your #1 defenseman to make that upgrade. I find it bizarre that so many Sens fans in this thread can't seem to see that. The Habs wouldn't trade Markov for Spezza. It wouldn't even be conceivable.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayoradamwest View Post
There is no doubt that Montreal would turn it down. Absolutely none whatsoever.

Old
05-03-2008, 04:09 PM
SilverLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Spezza is 30 points or so better than Plekanec. Getting him would basically just be that 30 point upgrade, and not really mean anything else to the Habs. You'd take it before you took a kick in the head, for sure. But you wouldn't give up your #1 defenseman to make that upgrade. I find it bizarre that so many Sens fans in this thread can't seem to see that. The Habs wouldn't trade Markov for Spezza. It wouldn't even be conceivable.
It's a bad deal both ways, but if you needed a center and we needed a D-man there's no way this deal would go through anyways.

SilverLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Haha, I think whats funniest is all the Sens face with heads stuck up their *****.

Jason Spezza, without a doubt, is the best player in the proposal. And losing Maxxy Lappy isn't that big of a deal..

but when you look at NEED.. this KILLS us. We become a worse defensive team (both forwards and defense).. and our defense becomes Columbus like.

Look buddy, we don't give a **** about how it hurts your team. We only care that is hurts our team.

Spezza only got 92 points because he was injured, he could have easily gotten 100 points. And what is this about Plekanec being a 70 point center? If we stick Fisher on your top line he would get as much or more.

Haha, I think whats funniest is all the Habs fans with heads stuck up their *****.

Old
05-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
There is no doubt that Montreal would turn it down. Absolutely none whatsoever.
And that's why you're not a GM. If nothing else, Montreal would flip Spezza for something significantly better than Markov.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Spezza is top 3, I believe, in PPG since the lockout. He is a top five center in the game. Saying the difference between Spezza and Plekanec wouldn't mean anything to the Habs is beyond ********. That's like saying adding Malkin or Thornton wouldn't make a difference.

Old
05-03-2008, 08:11 PM
JackBauer

Quote:

you say that like the trade is Plekanec + Markov for Spezza. i don't want to do this deal from the Sens perspective, and i can understand if montreal doesn't want to do it if they don't want to lose markov. but, the bold statement isn't true because you aren't losing your 70 point centre. he may not get 70 points on the 2nd line, but the talent is still there.

the truth about montreal is that until Price gets a little older/more experienced, they aren't true cup contenders. in that time (1-2 yrs), i'm sure you could patch markov's spot with McDonaugh/Fischer or a FA.

Last edited by JackBauer: 05-03-2008 at 08:17 PM.
JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 08:29 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koivu84 View Post
To Ottawa:
Andrei Markov
Maxim Lapierre

To Montreal:
Jason Spezza
2nd Round Draft Pick
I totally do not want Spezza in Montreal. I even hate his laugh in an interview. He makes big money and is soft point producer

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
Congratuglations this is the worst deal I have EVER seen in my life
Save the "congratuglations". You will see much, much worse.

Szechwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szechwan View Post
Save the "congratuglations". You will see much, much worse.
If I was a Habs forum regular I sure would

Old
05-04-2008, 02:25 AM
Garo

Quote:
Spezza is top 3, I believe, in PPG since the lockout. He is a top five center in the game. Saying the difference between Spezza and Plekanec wouldn't mean anything to the Habs is beyond ********.
Good thing it's not what BG said then.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 03:35 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
you say that like the trade is Plekanec + Markov for Spezza. i don't want to do this deal from the Sens perspective, and i can understand if montreal doesn't want to do it if they don't want to lose markov. but, the bold statement isn't true because you aren't losing your 70 point centre. he may not get 70 points on the 2nd line, but the talent is still there.
Plekanec would be moved the third line if this trade went through. No way would Koivu be put on a checking line.. So really, Pleks would be lucky to hit 50ish PTS.

I didn't mean for it to sound like it did.

Spezza is a great player, don't get me wrong.. just the deal gives up what we don't have to give up at this point. Maybe in a year or so when Gorges is completely developed .. but by then, Hamrlik is putting on the years and we don't know which young D-Men will be ready.

Old
05-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Good thing it's not what BG said then.
Quote:
Spezza is 30 points or so better than Plekanec. Getting him would basically just be that 30 point upgrade, and not really mean anything else to the Habs.
Please, the above quote of completely trivializing what Spezza would mean to any team.

Simply a 30 point upgrade? Ignoring the numerous other factors such as how Spezza would improve every other player on the ice, or how he would attract stricter defensive coverage and allow the 2nd and 3rd lines more freedom. Adding a superstar player like Spezza has a more far-reaching effect than adding 30 points.

Old
05-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by weownoctober View Post
And that's why you're not a GM. If nothing else, Montreal would flip Spezza for something significantly better than Markov.
Ok, suggest a suitable flip trade, then, Mr. GM. I'd be curious to see how that would work out, and would appreciate you using your vast managerial experience to explain it all to us.

Old
05-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
Well then you lose Koivu's 70 points. Either way, you lose something that we don't need to lose. In addition to our #1 defenseman.
Quote:
the truth about montreal is that until Price gets a little older/more experienced, they aren't true cup contenders. in that time (1-2 yrs), i'm sure you could patch markov's spot with McDonaugh/Fischer or a FA.
You're sure? McDonagh or Fischer? Replace Markov? In 1-2 years? Oookay. And if we wanted a Spezza-like player, why don't we just sign that guy as a FA instead of trading for him? It's all ridiculous to begin with, but it doesn't remotely change the fact that the Habs would never trade Markov for Spezza.

Old
05-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Please, the above quote of completely trivializing what Spezza would mean to any team.

Simply a 30 point upgrade? Ignoring the numerous other factors such as how Spezza would improve every other player on the ice, or how he would attract stricter defensive coverage and allow the 2nd and 3rd lines more freedom. Adding a superstar player like Spezza has a more far-reaching effect than adding 30 points.
I don't think 30 points is trivial. But it's the basic outcome of all those things you list. And our #1 defenseman means a whole lot more things to us than those. In addition to also probably providing 30 points more than his next-closest possible replacement on our blueline could.

Old
05-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Ok, suggest a suitable flip trade, then, Mr. GM. I'd be curious to see how that would work out, and would appreciate you using your vast managerial experience to explain it all to us.

See, that's just it. I'm not a GM but I'm smart enough to know that Markov <<<<<<<<<<< Spezza.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote