HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers CHL prospects season review

Old
05-18-2008, 03:00 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Panthers CHL prospects season review

Michael Frolik, Shawn Matthias, Michal Repik, and Keaton Ellerby, the Panthers top four prospects, made their hockey home in the CHL this past season.

Read full article...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 07:17 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

All these guys seem to have the injury bug in common, geez.

Ellerby is looking better than expected. I'm glad he has a nasty streak in him. Something our D lacks.

Caruso looks like a nice surprise.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 07:57 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
All these guys seem to have the injury bug in common, geez.

Ellerby is looking better than expected. I'm glad he has a nasty streak in him. Something our D lacks.

Caruso looks like a nice surprise.
Well Matthias had tonsilitis and mono so his was kind of a freak thing.

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Thunderheart

Prospects

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Well Matthias had tonsilitis and mono so his was kind of a freak thing.
Aside from the injuries & illnesses among the Panther prospects, isn't it interesting that our most promising prospect was not drafted by the Panthers...Shawn Matthias!!

Thank you Red Wings...

Thunderheart

Thunderheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 09:19 PM
zeroG

ellerby is expected to challenge for a spot on the panthers next year??? first time i've heard that.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
ellerby is expected to challenge for a spot on the panthers next year??? first time i've heard that.
Was just thinking to myself today that I hadn't seen you around for awhile.

Martin eluded to him having a shot in the article about his re-signing. He played for a spot at last year's camp as well. I'd be very surprised if he makes the team next season.

05-18-2008, 11:24 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Was just thinking to myself today that I hadn't seen you around for awhile.

Martin eluded to him having a shot in the article about his re-signing. He played for a spot at last year's camp as well. I'd be very surprised if he makes the team next season.
It'll be a big mistake to have Ellerby on the roster next year IMO. He struggled during the year in the WHL. He needs to have a consistent year in a legit league like the AHL before he plans on coming near an NHL spot for our sake. How pathetic will our defense have to be if Ellerby can make it at this point? A project usually isn't a two year developmental plan, in case Martin didn't know that. If you draft someone as a project, they generally take several years to become what you were hoping for, and rushing him to the NHL won't help either.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 12:37 AM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
It'll be a big mistake to have Ellerby on the roster next year IMO. He struggled during the year in the WHL. He needs to have a consistent year in a legit league like the AHL before he plans on coming near an NHL spot for our sake. How pathetic will our defense have to be if Ellerby can make it at this point? A project usually isn't a two year developmental plan, in case Martin didn't know that. If you draft someone as a project, they generally take several years to become what you were hoping for, and rushing him to the NHL won't help either.
Dude, if he's not good enough to make the team, he won't make it. What are you really worried about? This is Martin we are talking about here, he will not bring up a prospect full time until they are definitely, without any questions ready. And he struggled early in the season, but for the most part he had a good season. I think some people just love to hate this guy. He's one of those prospects, it seems, like Esposito. They should both turn out fine.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 12:59 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
As MisterBouw said, this is Martin. He's done nothing short of making sure all our prospects are ready. I don't think it's time for him either and I'll be surprised if he makes the team, but the fact that he gets to try will go far. He'll have it in his mind that he got to come up and fight for a spot and play with the big boys. Keep him excited about it.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:08 AM
CanadianPantherFan

Matthias, Frolik, Repik. Out of those three ...who has the best shot at grabbing an opening night start?

We'll need one of them if we don't grab a Top 6 forward in free agency,which we usually fail horrible at accomplishing

I'm not saying one of those three rook's is an automatic Top six forward for us ,but they probably could add a new dimension to a Jokinen line.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 06:19 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Matthias, Frolik, Repik. Out of those three ...who has the best shot at grabbing an opening night start?

We'll need one of them if we don't grab a Top 6 forward in free agency,which we usually fail horrible at accomplishing

I'm not saying one of those three rook's is an automatic Top six forward for us ,but they probably could add a new dimension to a Jokinen line.
Probably Matthias.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
I think it speaks more to the poor quality of the back-end of our defense than anything else. But I still don't anticipate Ellerby making the NHL next season - he struggled at times this year, and it really doesn't sound like he'll be ready for another several seasons.

05-19-2008, 12:19 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post

I would say Matthias. He played with Jokinen I believe, in his four game stop. He scored 2 goals.

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 12:48 PM
sabrefan27

Doesn't Florida want to learn its lesson by not rushing players into the NHL? Neither Frolik, Repik or Matthias should probably start in the NHL. Give them some AHL time and if they're too good for that league, then bring them up.

Of course I'm biased being an Amerks fan, but we saw it first hand with Vanek, Roy, Pominville etc. Letting these guys develop really is the best way of going about it.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 12:54 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
I think it speaks more to the poor quality of the back-end of our defense than anything else. But I still don't anticipate Ellerby making the NHL next season - he struggled at times this year, and it really doesn't sound like he'll be ready for another several seasons.
also doesn't seem to address the most pressing need back there - we have cheap vets who are more defensively oriented. the toughness would be a nice addition but i don't believe a 19 yo kid (is he even 19?) will come in and be a physical force.

in general, though, i agree - everything starts on the backend and although we have some quality, there's not a ton and it's not in the right places. JM has a big task ahead of him straightening this out. he better get it done or it's going to be another year of small or marginal improvement overall.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Doesn't Florida want to learn its lesson by not rushing players into the NHL? Neither Frolik, Repik or Matthias should probably start in the NHL. Give them some AHL time and if they're too good for that league, then bring them up.

Of course I'm biased being an Amerks fan, but we saw it first hand with Vanek, Roy, Pominville etc. Letting these guys develop really is the best way of going about it.
I think Matthias is the only one with a real shot at making the team next year. Perhaps Frolik, but I doubt it. I'd be surprised if he started up here next year.

Our defense is currently Bouw-Allen, Ryno-Skrastins, Murphy-Welch, with Cullimore, Johansson, Mezei and Monty as FA's who may or may not be signed(Doubt Monty and Mezei will), and Martin is saying he wants to bring in a proven puck-mover. Again, I'd be surprised if he makes the team. Martin, if nothing else, has been patient with our youth.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:31 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I think Matthias is the only one with a real shot at making the team next year. Perhaps Frolik, but I doubt it. I'd be surprised if he started up here next year.
Now I don't follow Florida that closely, so my numbers may be off. But assuming Olesz and Campbell get contracts, that gives the team 14 forwards. Unless a few guys get unloaded and the team signs no one during free agency, I see no room for any of them to make the team anyway.

Old
05-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
The only one I disagree on is Repik. According to the report, he's had a phenomenal season this year despite a 2-month injury and really has little left to prove at the junior level. However, he's not going to be eligible for the AHL next season. I'd like to see him go to the NHL for the season, even if he only sees limited ice time, so he gets at least a taste of the pro game, then move him to Rochester the following season so he can have a bigger role. Unless he's really not ready in training camp. Just make sure he knows that's the plan so he doesn't ***** about being demoted.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:53 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Now I don't follow Florida that closely, so my numbers may be off. But assuming Olesz and Campbell get contracts, that gives the team 14 forwards. Unless a few guys get unloaded and the team signs no one during free agency, I see no room for any of them to make the team anyway.
Its give us options. Meaning the rookies don't have to make the team if they aren't ready. If they are ready we'll make room.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:54 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
The only one I disagree on is Repik. According to the report, he's had a phenomenal season this year despite a 2-month injury and really has little left to prove at the junior level. However, he's not going to be eligible for the AHL next season. I'd like to see him go to the NHL for the season, even if he only sees limited ice time, so he gets at least a taste of the pro game, then move him to Rochester the following season so he can have a bigger role. Unless he's really not ready in training camp. Just make sure he knows that's the plan so he doesn't ***** about being demoted.
I was really impressed with what I saw from Repik this year in the WHL. I think he is easily more ready than Frolik. We'll see how camp goes.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 01:55 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Repik is eligible for the AHL next season.

Old
05-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
The statuses of Peltonen and Stumpel are in question this summer, and I think maybe one other but I'm not sure.

Old
05-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Repik is eligible for the AHL next season.
Are you sure? There's been a lot of discussion on this topic and the consensus was he wouldn't because he doesn't turn 20 until December 31st, nearly a month past the cutoff date where he'd have to return to the CHL if he gets cut from the NHL club, and the number of years in juniors nor the fact he's an import player mattered.

Old
05-19-2008, 02:01 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Are you sure? There's been a lot of discussion on this topic and the consensus was he wouldn't because he doesn't turn 20 until December 31st, nearly a month past the cutoff date where he'd have to return to the CHL if he gets cut from the NHL club, and the number of years in juniors nor the fact he's an import player mattered.
No, he turns 20 on the cutoff day, which is December 31st.

Old
05-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
No, he turns 20 on the cutoff day, which is December 31st.
Ah - the date that was bandied about here was December 5th as the cutoff date.