HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak gets the nod Tonight

Old
04-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I would rather put in Price. At least Price has faced play-off pressure. Has played NHL games in abundance over the past season. Halak has two shots NHL play-off experience. Has only played 2-5 games this season in the NHL.

Price got you to this point. You put your faith in him and keep going. WIthout him, Boston is where we are and we're on the golf course. I don't like this decision. We basically can't go back to Price unless we're facing elimination.
Nothing against Price, but you are just being a fanboy here. Price is clearly struggling and cost us back to back games we had no business losing. We have started all 3 games down by a combined 7-0. We can't afford that, and I agree Halak is a wildcard, we do not know how he will react, but at this point I have more confidence in his ability not to give up a couple softies early like Price has done.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:31 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCharms View Post
Flyer fan, coming in peace...

That takes onions! I bet the team picks up it's play...not that you guys have played bad at all, just not getting the bounces.

As far as starting the back-up, wow is right. Better "if" (and I do say that loosely) you lose, to lose with your best chance of winning (Price, IMHO) than Halak. This will make Carb look like a hero, or he'll be the scape goat! No?

What are your thoughts?

Should be interesting!

May the best team win, good luck and enjoy the game.
the thing is; halak has always been labeled as the #2 or #3 (when we had huet)... but the guy is just one of the most underrated player of the team; when you look at his carreer stats, they're even better than price stats. and at the beginning of the year, gainey decided to go with price even if both goalies had similar performance at the training camp (according to many people). i'm not saying halak > price; but they're not very far IMO. BTW, i'm not worried a bit for tonight, we'll win and halak will do very well.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:32 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
I would rather put in Price. At least Price has faced play-off pressure. Has played NHL games in abundance over the past season. Halak has two shots NHL play-off experience. Has only played 2-5 games this season in the NHL.

Price got you to this point. You put your faith in him and keep going. WIthout him, Boston is where we are and we're on the golf course. I don't like this decision. We basically can't go back to Price unless we're facing elimination.
You know, I understand your logic...and I somewhat agree.

The playoffs are just so finikey (sp?) when it comes to goalies...

Price does have nerves of steal, but you gotta admit, something wasnt right. That glove hand has been a concern for me as well as them adventures around the net.

We do have the luxury of having two young, talented goaltenders and Halak just aint that pretty have sitting on the bench all the time.

Carbo is indeed rolling the dice, but the fact of the matter is that regardless of the decision, he was rolling them anyways.

I can also understand your dislike for the decision, but I can understand the sheer hate behind your reaction.

PS I really think there may be something to the Broken-Hand Gate

Old
JFB

Price has been brutal since game 5 vs Boston (except for 1 period in game 7). Open your eyes. Halak can't be worse. Don't overreact , it's a business decision.

JFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Netro

I think this is a mistake. Even if the Habs win. (who is to say they wouldn't have won with Price in the nets)

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
I don't give a **** if we win the remaining games of the play-offs and win the cup. The guy is a terrible coach. I'm not and will never waiver from my stance on Carbonneau as a coach.
And you think Carbo's the idiot?

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCharms View Post
Flyer fan, coming in peace...

That takes onions! I bet the team picks up it's play...not that you guys have played bad at all, just not getting the bounces.

As far as starting the back-up, wow is right. Better "if" (and I do say that loosely) you lose, to lose with your best chance of winning (Price, IMHO) than Halak. This will make Carbo look like a hero, or he'll be the scape goat! No?

What are your thoughts?

Should be interesting!

May the best team win, good luck and enjoy the game.
If your angle on the situation is right, it's an even better move. I'll explain why..

Instead of putting all the pressure on a 20 year old to save the team, Carbo is taking on the pressure himself by making that choice. As a flyers fan you don't know Halak, but he's a pretty good goalie. Price is our franchise goalie no doubt about it, but he's 20 years old and him faltering had to be expected especially after the emotional roller coaster he's been on the last 1-2 years (from junior to gold medal to calder cup to the NHL to him becomming #1 in his first season to 1st place in the east to the playoffs first and second round). The good news is we have another capable goalie to back him up in Halak. It should be a good game tonight.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
marchabsfan

YOU PUT CAREY 2night:
You lose: Put Halak in game 5
You win: Put Price in game 5

YOU PUT HALAK 2night:
You lose: Put Price in game 5
You win: ?????????????

That's why I would choose the 1st option.

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
le_sean

People are acting like our backup is as bad as Raycroft. This is a great young goalie too. He's hungry to win and help the team, it only helps his own cause too. Price gets to rest more and come back ready to go Saturday.

This is either going to be the smartest or dumbest move ever.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
znk

Quote:
I don't give a **** if we win the remaining games of the play-offs and win the cup. The guy is a terrible coach. I'm not and will never waiver from my stance on Carbonneau as a coach.
Only fools don’t change their minds.

I cant tell you how revealing your post is.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:33 PM
ShayneCorson27

I thinks it's good decision, if Price do not play it's probably because they think that Halak have more chances to win tonight! We do not know if Price is injured or anything... Carbo still the man.

ShayneCorson27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:33 PM
NHLcrazy

Carbo *****slaps Price!

Dang...Well best of luck to our boy Halak!

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
the thing is; halak has always been labeled as the #2 or #3 (when we had huet)... but the guy is just one of the most underrated player of the team; when you look at his carreer stats, they're even better than price stats. and at the beginning of the year, gainey decided to go with price even if both goalies had similar performance at the training camp (according to many people). i'm not saying halak > price; but they're not very far IMO. BTW, i'm not worried a bit for tonight, we'll win and halak will do very well.

Fair enough, thanks for the reply!

Enjoy.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LyleOdelein

Zoinks. Like sand through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
YOU PUT CAREY 2night:

YOU PUT HALAK 2night:

you choose option 1 because if we win you do not know what to do? Are you kidding me?

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
I can understand why people would disagree with this move (I myself do), but what's with all the doom and gloom?

Halak is a good goalie, Price has sucked so far in the second round, and jumping off the bandwagon at this point seems a tad knee-jerky.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:36 PM
CBBRH

Send a message via MSN to CBBRH
I don't like this decision at all.

But as this is the case now, I wish the best of games for Halak!

CBBRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Confidence isn't measured by saves there smart guy. It's measured by faith, and the CH has put full faith in him tonight. That instills confidence.

"Illogical" is turning your back on Jaroslav tonight
I'm not turning my back on Halak. I'm turning my back on the decision. Of course I'm cheering for Halak and the team tonight. However, I'll ***** at every (there will be many) coaching mistakes Carbonneau makes tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
If Price was Huet and Halak was Price you'd all be stroking it right now. But we cant touch Price....noooooo. He can goal like a peice of crap but you'll still think it's the best peice of crap out there.
He got us to round two. He is the reason we are here. Sometimes you gotta stick with your best player and let him work out of his funk. Not give a guy with two shots experience the ship and say, "here, win us the series!" because if Halak wins. He has to keep playing. If he loses, you go back to Price and put the pressure all back on him again and say "win us three straight." So we're either throwing Price away for the remainder of the second round or we're putting him into a must-win situation. Nothing smart about this decision, it's one game too late. Point is, if we won last game, by actually scoring. Price would be in the net tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
If we end up winning the Cup and you don't change your stance then that just shows how little hockey knowledge you have and how irrational your thinking is. How can we win the cup with the worst coach ! If its possible then screw coaching....no team would need a coach anymore.

Come on, I hated Carbonneau last year and at the begining of the year. his decisions were bad and they rarely worked. But you have to give credit where credit is due. He is one the reasons why we fiished first in the East. You have to give him the benifit of the doubt.
I can't give him the benefit of the doubt. He dresses the wrong players in the play-offs. He'll keep lines together that have no chemistry and breaks lines up that do. He can't put either Kostitsyn on their natural wings, despite playing together. He puts his grind lines on to score goals. He has man-love for Brisebois, Dandenault and Lapierre despite their complete uselessness.

I've never liked him. Everyone knows this. You'll never change my position on him and he'll never change my position on him.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Guriken

It will be stressful but I have confidence in Halak.

Guriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JFB

Quote:
Game over, misters.

I'm never giving Carbonneau the benefit of the doubt no matter how well they play next regular season. The guy is an idiot, I always knew it.
Sh ut up. Carbo knows 10 times more than you about hockey. So take a deep breath, and calm down.

JFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
marchabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
you choose option 1 because if we win you do not know what to do? Are you kidding me?
you wise guy sure know what to do huh...

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
Well if we lose tonight, All the pressures off Price and we can comeback to win three in a row for the series win.
Isn't Price at his best when he has pressure? This is a bad decision IMO. If halak wins, he should play the rest of the games..

We're always the only team who feels the need to **** up its goalies. Why can't we go with 1 and live or die with him?

Anyways I won't say more. Even if Halak wins I think it's a bad decision for the rest of the playoffs, but wathever.

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
YOU PUT CAREY 2night:

YOU PUT HALAK 2night:

The way I see it is you put Price in in game 5 either way, win or loss today.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
le_sean

Plus with Halak in net the team will play differently out there. They probably took for granted that if they **** up Price will save their *****. Now that a backup is in they will be more aware and play on their heels, which may be the spark the team needs.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
emb24*

it can't be the dumbest move based on Carey's stats this series - especially the 3 goals on 6 shots last game

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote