HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Halak gets the nod Tonight

Old
04-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH≤ View Post
If your angle on the situation is right, it's an even better move. I'll explain why..

Instead of putting all the pressure on a 20 year old to save the team, Carbo is taking on the pressure himself by making that choice. As a flyers fan you don't know Halak, but he's a pretty good goalie. Price is our franchise goalie no doubt about it, but he's 20 years old and him faltering had to be expected especially after the emotional roller coaster he's been on the last 1-2 years (from junior to gold medal to calder cup to the NHL to him becomming #1 in his first season to 1st place in the east to the playoffs first and second round). The good news is we have another capable goalie to back him up in Halak. It should be a good game tonight.
I agree whole heartedly. It's a pantload of pressure for the young lad. Price in my opinion, is tired. Lot's of hockey for a rookie not used to the long NHL season which includes playoffs, and 7 games in round 1.

Thanks for the reply, enjoy the game!

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:37 PM
HF-Addict

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I don't give a **** if we win the remaining games of the play-offs and win the cup. The guy is a terrible coach. I'm not and will never waiver from my stance on Carbonneau as a coach.
wow.

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:38 PM
CrisisInMTL

With this move, my level of respect for Carbo just went way up.

Putting Price in was the easy move for Carbo. If they lose its the kid, who he didn't even want on the team to start the season, that lost the series for him. He could have just said 'I went with my best guy, the guy I was given, he didn't get it done.'

Now he's completely on the hook for the entire season. If they lose tonight its over. But he put his balls on the line, giving the nod to Halak, protecting Price and making himself the lightning rod for all the angry media and fans.

Props to Carbo.

CrisisInMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
People are acting like our backup is as bad as Raycroft. This is a great young goalie too. He's hungry to win and help the team, it only helps his own cause too. Price gets to rest more and come back ready to go Saturday.

This is either going to be the smartest or dumbest move ever.
How can we do that to Halak again?

We did it to him last season. "Thanks for taking us from the brink of extinction to a do or die game with our season on the line. BY the way, you're not playing."

We're going to say "Thanks for tying up the series, but back on the bench you go. Carey's back!"

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Iyathurai
Still missing Saku:(

Send a message via MSN to Iyathurai
Good move by Carbo. This Halak vs Price thing will only make them play better!

Iyathurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:39 PM
dlandry77

Bottom line is Carbo was coach of the year.

I Don't mind his decision, give the kid a break. Halak is a good goalie, the question which might come out is has not played a game over 3 months. He will need some big saves to build some confidence.

Gainey and Carbo has brought this team to its new level and I will be happy with there decisions from now on.

In Bob and Guy we trust.

GO HABS GO

dlandry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
you wise guy sure know what to do huh...
option 1 probably puts us down 3-1, and you are worried about what will happen if we win to even it up?

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:40 PM
JFB

Some people here really need to get a life... It's just hockey. Price plays like **** since 2 weeks. Sometimes you need to shake things. That's what Carbo is paid for.

And you know what ? Carey Price's career is not over...

JFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Wow I have loved most of what Carbo has done this season but this is one thing I do not agree with. I really hope this does not come back to bite the team in the ass tonight and for the rest of the series.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Corey

All good news for the Flyers, plus they're getting Knuble back.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
x-bob

Quote:

We did it to him last season. "Thanks for taking us from the brink of extinction to a do or die game with our season on the line. BY the way, you're not playing."

We're going to say "Thanks for tying up the series, but back on the bench you go. Carey's back!"
You could do that. He knows who the number on is in the locker room at this moment. These people are adults they know that it is team first. He will get his chance at the begining of next year to try and steal the number one spot.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs

Thats ****ing horrific if true. Price got us here, we win or lose with him.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:41 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Only fools donít change their minds.

I cant tell you how revealing your post is.
I've changed my mind on many subjects.
I've worked hard to correct my mistakes. Taken the necessary actions to improve myself.
I've never blamed someone else for something I've done wrong.
I admit I'm wrong when I'm wrong.

But Carbonneau has rarely ever made a decision that I've agreed with. Simply put this situation as it stands right now is the wrong time for Halak. That's what I think.

Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

Because the team comes first, not the player. If we win tonight and Carbo thinks (for whatever reason) starting Price is the best thing for the team and will help us win the next one, then Price starts. He may not like it but I'm sure Halak understands this and knows it's part of his role as back-up goalie.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bullocks

HUGE mistake!

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:42 PM
freakin

Finally we got ourselves a goalie in net, about time.

freakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:43 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
You could do that. He knows who the number on is in the locker room at this moment. These people are adults they know that it is team first. He will get his chance at the begining of next year to try and steal the number one spot.
Yeah, do that a second time to him. Good luck with him ever wanting to play with us again. You are using him. Have you ever been used as a person? It's not a good feeling. Halak will surely appreciate getting the team for a second consecutive season to a point of winning and not be given the reigns to complete it? You won't see him back if that's the case.

Don't get me wrong, I have all the confidence in the world in Jaroslav Halak, I just simply do not think this is the right situation or timing to give him the ball and tell him to run with it.

Old
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
I've changed my mind on many subjects.
I've worked hard to correct my mistakes. Taken the necessary actions to improve myself.
I've never blamed someone else for something I've done wrong.
I admit I'm wrong when I'm wrong.

But Carbonneau has rarely ever made a decision that I've agreed with. Simply put this situation as it stands right now is the wrong time for Halak. That's what I think.
so you disagree with most of what he does and we are in a close series in the 2nd round while having finished first in the conference? What does that tell you? Perhaps Carbo is better at this than you?

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
E = CH≤

Quote:
People are acting like our backup is as bad as Raycroft. This is a great young goalie too. He's hungry to win and help the team, it only helps his own cause too. Price gets to rest more and come back ready to go Saturday.
Exactly. Halak has done really well whenever called upon. The team nearly made a come back with him in nets.

The pressure is not even on Halak to save the team. The pressure is on our big offensive guns to stop missing empty nets and hitting posts.

It does shift the focus from Price though and Halak gets his chance to shine which he fully deserves.

Quote:
This is either going to be the smartest or dumbest move ever.
Like putting Huet in for that last game against the leafs last season ?

I mean, at this point, there's no real good or bad decisions. No one knows how Price would have reacted playing tonight (unless we're not priivy to an undisclosed injury to price or something). No one knows how Halak will react tonight.

I'll say this though, going with Halak tonight is better for the future of Price's career. If Price plays tonight and gets shelled while the habs play a strong game, then Price has to face a lot of questions and doubts.

I think, bottom line, by putting Halak in, you protect Price, get a goalie in that is really hungry and has proven he was worth being given a shot, mess with the flyers comfort and put all the pressure on yourself as a coach instead of a 20 years old.

E = CH≤ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Laps40

repost

Laps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullocks View Post
HUGE mistake!
a mistake can only be judged AFTER an event...now it's a HUGE gamble.

Brisebois IN
Halak IN
Lady Luck MIA for 2 games

All this points to a sure Habs loss...in pro sports I've seen the underdog bite more than often in these scenarios!

GO habs GO

Have faith!

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH≤ View Post
Exactly. Halak has done really well whenever called upon. The team nearly made a come back with him in nets.

The pressure is not even on Halak to save the team. The pressure is on our big offensive guns to stop missing empty nets and hitting posts.

It does shift the focus from Price though and Halak gets his chance to shine which he fully deserves.

Like putting Huet in for that last game against the leafs last season ?

I mean, at this point, there's no real good or bad decisions. No one knows how Price would have reacted playing tonight (unless we're not priivy to an undisclosed injury to price or something). No one knows how Halak will react tonight.

I'll say this though, going with Halak tonight is better for the future of Price's career. If Price plays tonight and gets shelled while the habs play a strong game, then Price has to face a lot of questions and doubts.

I think, bottom line, by putting Halak in, you protect Price, get a goalie in that is really hungry and has proven he was worth being given a shot, mess with the flyers comfort and put all the pressure on yourself as a coach instead of a 20 years old.
Agreed on all counts

Old
JFB

With Halak in net, we're probably up 2-1 in this series.

JFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:45 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post
Price looks friggin exhausted, this is probably a good move. I hope Halak plays well.
If Price was exhausted, he should have played Halak in game two at home. Tonight is the most important game of the series. Seems like poor planning by Carbo.

Of course Carbo is also learning as a coach, just like Price is learning as a goalie.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Guriken

After the season we had I can't believe there is still people here saying Carbonneau is a bad coach...

Guriken is offline   Reply With Quote