HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Halak gets the nod Tonight

Old
04-30-2008, 04:45 PM
BigM

vCash: 500
I would think if Halak plays well tonight and we win, he'll likely start Game 5 in Montreal too - isn't he still undefeated on home ice?

BigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:46 PM
0ilerman
The King

this is shady...a young goalie will already lose confidence after a rough game...he doesnt need his coach to compound things and worsen his confidence

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Yeah, do that a second time to him. Good luck with him ever wanting to play with us again. You are using him. Have you ever been used as a person? It's not a good feeling. Halak will surely appreciate getting the team for a second consecutive season to a point of winning and not be given the reigns to complete it? You won't see him back if that's the case.

Don't get me wrong, I have all the confidence in the world in Jaroslav Halak, I just simply do not think this is the right situation or timing to give him the ball and tell him to run with it.
Yup I understand but this is a hockey team. The coach has to use his players and make the decisions to win. It's not about how they will feel about the decision. If the players feelings comes in the way to the team winning then that player shouldn't be on our team. Bulis and Samsonov were two players that would put their personal feeelings in front of the the coaching staffs decisions and look where it got them.

x-bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
HabsPack

I don't mind it, Price hasn't played well in 4 of the last 6 games and has been poor in the last 2 (7 goals on 35 shots).

Too bad some of you show so little faith in Halak, personally I do and I damn well will be cheering for him and hope he has a great game for THE HABS sake.

It seems like some of you are more Mtl Price fans and not Mtl Canadiens fans, it's a team sport and all teams have two goaltenders they feel can get the job done when needed. After all, Osgood appears to be playing fairly well in place of Hasek ... maybe Halak will do the same, at least for tonight.

BTW, didn't Rollie say before the last game that he thought Price was mentally tired, there's a good chance Carbo listened long and hard to what the Habs goaltending coach had to say on the subject before making his decision.

Anyway, whether it's Price or Halak in nets I'll be behind either 100%

Go Habs!!!

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:47 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
With Halak in net, we're probably up 2-1 in this series.
THis is actually most probebly true. I don't think that it is a secret that Price has played bad and that we could easily be the team with the uper hand in the series.

x-bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I like this move.

People shouldn't overreact.
Melanson said Price is mentally tired. He could use a night off. Unless Halak is spectacular in a shutout win, Price will be back Saturday, I would almost guarantee it.

Give Carey a night off, and he'll come back ready to bring it. Meanwhile, Jaro is a very capable goalie itching for an opportunity to get in there.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
this is shady...a young goalie will already lose confidence after a rough game...he doesnt need his coach to compound things and worsen his confidence
Price is a professional...Im sure he understands the decision. And the competitor in him will wake the hell up

Old
04-30-2008, 04:48 PM
BintZ

I don't think this is a good decision because of Halak's size. I'm afraid he'll either be pushed around or won't be able to see over screens and stuff. I am rooting for him though and I hope our guys can establish an early lead instead of waiting until the last minute to score.

Go Habs Go!

BintZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:48 PM
ShuttFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
I have always liked Halak but this move only works if Price goes back in the next game even if we get a win tonight. I'm fine with this move and this is actually what I was hoping but it is really what Carbonneau's next move is that matters. remember guys, every move that Carbonneau has done related to oaltending as been the right one up to now this year. Trust in him (this comming from one of his biggest haters earlier this year and last season)
Nice post.

Add that Halak's going to be on a short leash. We'll do fine.

This probably should have happened game 3.

ShuttFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:49 PM
HabuseMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I've changed my mind on many subjects.
I've worked hard to correct my mistakes. Taken the necessary actions to improve myself.
I've never blamed someone else for something I've done wrong.
I admit I'm wrong when I'm wrong.

But Carbonneau has rarely ever made a decision that I've agreed with. Simply put this situation as it stands right now is the wrong time for Halak. That's what I think.
Come on, you're really going over the top with the whole Carbo hate. We finished first in the division, that alone says something about him.

Every time he took a decision this year it was a stupid one according to you, now look at where it lead us.

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Habs

After calming down and reading some input here... I'm not sure what to think. I just hope my curse works.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HabsGuy19

Send a message via MSN to HabsGuy19 Send a message via Skype™ to HabsGuy19
I have no problem with Halak being in bet. He did well last year to take us as far as he did, and I have a lot of faith in him that he can get the W tonight.

HabsGuy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

I'm pumped.

Carbo has some serious balls.

Oh, and .. GO HALAK GO!

Hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
If Price loses confidence cuz he's pulled from one game as a 20 years old then his mental game was never all that strong to begin with and it's not that one choice that will ruin his career.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:52 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttFan View Post
Nice post.

Add that Halak's going to be on a short leash. We'll do fine.

This probably should have happened game 3.
Halak is a quality goalie, but Price is getting a bad rap for some deflections/screens. His defense did him in imo.

But the team might play tighter and bear down in front of Halak. It could work.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:52 PM
E = CH²

The better question, what happens if we win with Halak tonight ? Do we go back with him next game ?

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:53 PM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BintZ View Post
I don't think this is a good decision because of Halak's size. I'm afraid he'll either be pushed around
This is why we need refs that actually do what they're paid for...if they don't call the roughing on goalies they're encouraging teams that cheat and if they do we have little chance of winning...

I hope the 2 refs tonight have seen on TV the punch in the face of Halak last game and going to react to this action that made their coworkers look like fools...

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Garnet

Halak

Halak won't get pushed around. Ive watched him a lot in Hamilton and hes a tough kid and a pretty good goalie.

MONTREAL NEEDS: A goalie who won't cost them the game. Not to win them the game. Montreal outplayed Philly the last 2 games.

And maybe the Habs should try to get the LEAD for the first time in the series!!!!!

Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
xduckiex

Have faith in Carbo. He knows what he's doing.

xduckiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
The better questions, what happens if we win with Halak tonight ? Do we go back with him next game ?
Oh come on now...we gotta save that one for after the game

Old
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
To those saying this is going to ruin Price's confidence I disagree, this is make or break for Halak.

If we lose, Price is let off the hook, Carbo and Halak get all the blame. It allows us to get eliminated w/o people doubting Price.

I think Carbo might be protecting Price right now.
interestnig theory, but I think coaches, coach to win, not to avoid certain pressures or stigmas. Hes got to play who he thinks will give the team a better chance to win. IMO

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:54 PM
thomascal377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins21 View Post
I Cant Believe It.
X2

nice avatar btw

thomascal377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Geez, I said I would have done this after Game 3 but I'm still surprised it happened.

I really think Price has something wrong with his glove hand and we will find out that it's broken or something when the playoffs are over. It looked like he couldn't even close it.

Hopefully Jaro steps up and gets us the win.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:56 PM
peicurler91

Come on Halak we know you can bring us a win

peicurler91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Fido22

Halak is a very capable keeper. No question there. Still, baring an injury to Price, I must say I'm absolutely shocked by this decision. SHOCKED!

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote