HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gillis Adds Capologist

Old
05-01-2008, 09:47 AM
sunb

vCash: 500
Many of us are also being short-sighted here. A capologist who is adept with finances can also utilize his vision to objectively analyze a team's future outlook. Often, a team gets myopic in its operations and lose sight of the big picture.

For example, if we had a capologist on board, we probably wouldn't have signed Naslund to that three year 18 million dollar contract given the fact that we would be more aware of the long-term implications of a deal. And a capologist would probaA capologist could give us more flexibility in predicting what future cap limits would be so we can exploit the most out of contracts (i.e. by staggering them or overlapping them, etc...).

And I cherish anyone with practical experience and financial expertise in being a member of management. At the very least, he can provide a second opinion and leverage his experience, given that Gillis is still fairly new to his GM role.

sunb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:55 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Great, more lawyers. Maybe Wetcoaster has the best chance around here of getting a job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Eh. I'm kinda nervous about Gillis bringing in the guy who contributed to the less then stellar success of the Barnett regime in Phoenix. He has some pretty nice credentials, however; and if he's being brought in for such a specific role I don't see an issue with it. Two heads are better then one, etc. etc.
To be fair, most of Phoenix sucking during Barnett's term was because he kept bringing in UFA's when the team wasn't good and they really needed to rebuild. I'd put that blame more on the GM than anyone.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 02:11 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Great, more lawyers. Maybe Wetcoaster has the best chance around here of getting a job
Need more Accountants

05-01-2008, 04:05 PM
MS

I think the term 'capologist' here is a little misleading. Gilman will be an assistant GM on the business side of things, which is a position we've almost always had here. Nonis filled basically this exact role under Burke. It just seems 'new' because Nonis kept handling that end of things when he was promoted to GM, and didn't replace himself.

orcatown - agree completely with your comments on Tambellini. I've never thought much of him at all - slick guy in a fancy suit who has no substance whatsoever.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote