HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Dear Doug Jarvis:

Old
04-30-2008, 08:14 PM
LyleOdelein

vCash: 500
Dear Doug Jarvis:

The defensive strategy of having the D back 20 feet into the zone on 2 on 2 rushes has been killing the Habs all playoffs long. Pressure the puck carrier at the blueline and force them to pass. It is absolutely bushleague that the Habs haven't made the adjustment on this type of play that has been leading to goals all playoffs. It's basic defensive strategy. Defensemen should not play even-man rushes the same way as odd-man rushes. Please address this horrible trend now.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:30 PM
flappuck

Muller is in charge of defense...

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:37 PM
ShuttFan

Jarvis is in charge of implementing the Swedish Torpedo to break through the Philly trap. He's still looking for a Swede.

ShuttFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:49 PM
silver cup

I couldn't agree more...it's something I complain about every game.

silver cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:17 PM
LyleOdelein

Is it Muller? Whoever it is, is dropping the ball.

Old
04-30-2008, 10:19 PM
anarmandaleb

Yeah. At this point, it looks like Muller's kinda in charge of being pretty and fiddling with his earpiece a lot and not much else. I say we email Jarvis anyway

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_Odelein View Post
The defensive strategy of having the D back 20 feet into the zone on 2 on 2 rushes has been killing the Habs all playoffs long. Pressure the puck carrier at the blueline and force them to pass. It is absolutely bushleague that the Habs haven't made the adjustment on this type of play that has been leading to goals all playoffs. It's basic defensive strategy. Defensemen should not play even-man rushes the same way as odd-man rushes. Please address this horrible trend now.
I'm sure Doug would tell you that the defense has been fine, they have allowed an average of 20 shots a night with about 1/3 the quality shots Phille has allowed. The answer is elswhere.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:25 PM
JrHockeyFan

Another let's blame somebody for something thread.

No facts. No credibility. Just blame

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 10:29 PM
LyleOdelein

I agree, there are other problems on offense especially. However, why not make the defense better? Shot total is not the only thing a defense coach should consider. The number of goals we're letting in on 2 on 2 rushes is ridiculous. Philly has got a goal or two every game walking in and shooting on what should be harmless plays. Considering how close the games are, and how easily corrected this mistake is, why not address it.

Old
04-30-2008, 10:40 PM
LyleOdelein

Here you go JrHockey fan. Watch the 2nd goal tonight, the first two goals last game, the Brisbois goal, the highlight reel Kessel goal. All of those plays were goals caused by the D being too passive against the rush. Those are off the top of my head. If those rushes are pressured at the blueline, the shot/pass is disrupted, so there's fewer goals. The forwards lose space and time which can force offsides or giveaways. It's a valid point, watch the plays if you can see them from your highhorse.

Old
04-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
Muller is in charge of defense...
I'm pretty sure its Jarvis.. and Muller is in charge of the forwards and PP.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 05:58 AM
flappuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
They've been going on all year about the roles being "inversed" because Jarvis was taking care of the PP and Muller the PK.

Anyways, it seems that the whole coaching is not understanding that they're not doing a good job since they seem content with the way the Habs have been playing and see no reason to change anything...

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 07:07 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_Odelein View Post
Here you go JrHockey fan. Watch the 2nd goal tonight, the first two goals last game, the Brisbois goal, the highlight reel Kessel goal. All of those plays were goals caused by the D being too passive against the rush. Those are off the top of my head. If those rushes are pressured at the blueline, the shot/pass is disrupted, so there's fewer goals. The forwards lose space and time which can force offsides or giveaways. It's a valid point, watch the plays if you can see them from your highhorse.
I completely agree with you but there might be something you haven't taken into consideration. The Montreal defencemen will get beat if they try to stop the puck carrier at the blueline. Something tells me the Habs defence is extremely weak on that point. It was one of the points that Rivet and Carbonneau had a falling out. Rivet wanted to attck the puck carrier at the blue line and Carbonneau wanted the d to back into the goalie's lap.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 07:19 AM
Habitant#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I completely agree with you but there might be something you haven't taken into consideration. The Montreal defencemen will get beat if they try to stop the puck carrier at the blueline. Something tells me the Habs defence is extremely weak on that point. It was one of the points that Rivet and Carbonneau had a falling out. Rivet wanted to attck the puck carrier at the blue line and Carbonneau wanted the d to back into the goalie's lap.
Well, it might not be a problem if we didn't give up the neutral zone so easily. Their forwards are given all the time they want to build up speed so wour have to choice but to back up, unless they want to look like cones.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I concur. It is Jarvis.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Habbadasher

Carbo said the team isplaying well, and he can't imagine any adjustments.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 08:19 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I agree that some of our d would get beat on the odd one-on-one rush. However, forcing the rushing player to make a play causes him to slow down at least. With our forwards' speed, you would figure that this would lead to some backchecking takeaways. Then, you also factor in that guys might not want to be cutting to the middle with guys like Komi, Bouillon and Hamr on the ice and this would force rushing opposition players outside fairly frequently. I would way rather have 30 foot shots coming from the side boards than from the slot (so would Price and Halak).

I know all of those coaches have way more right to be behind the bench than I do, but I can't help but wonder why they are strategically choosing to give up at least a goal a game with this strategy.

Old
05-01-2008, 08:20 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
Then Carbo's team is going to lose in Game 5.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 08:24 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
This seems like complacence to me. The team is playing well. Why not play even better? If they were to crash the net, and make a couple minor adjustments on D, this team would be unstoppable.