HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Worst Defensive Pair in the Playoffs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-30-2008, 06:20 PM
  #1
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,401
vCash: 500
Worst Defensive Pair in the Playoffs

Is there a crappier defensive pair in the playoffs - and I'll include the teams dumped in round one - then Derian Hatcher and Randy Jones?

Why on earth does Stevens pair these two guys together?

The only pair I think is comparable might be Pittsburgh's duo of Hal Gill and Rob Scuderi, but clearly this Flyer duo is worse.

They are completely and totally immobile and worse then that, they have no ability to move the puck. These guys just get it and throw it any random direction.

It's impossible for me to believe that the Canadiens, with their skilled quick skating forwards will let this series slip away without exploiting these two pylons.

The more I watch them, the more I'm amazed a playoff team is suiting up these two guys and actually winning.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 06:36 PM
  #2
JMMR
Registered User
 
JMMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,355
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Does JOnes not lead the NHL in +/- in the playoffs?

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 06:37 PM
  #3
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Does JOnes not lead the NHL in +/- in the playoffs?
No idea, but it's totally irrelevant. I'm not talking about statistics, I'm talking about watching him play.

I watched two games of the first round for Philly and obviously this whole series and I'm totally alarmed by how bad this pair is.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 06:55 PM
  #4
Evil Ted
Registered User
 
Evil Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,650
vCash: 500
I thought it was modry and smith maybe? at one point they were on for like 11 of the 12 caps goals in the first series im pretty sure.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 07:46 PM
  #5
Erika
Registered User
 
Erika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ville Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Randy Jones is a pretty good defencemen. He is in the Mold of Ron Hainsey. I will take him anytime in my team.


I agree with Hatcher being useless though.

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 07:52 PM
  #6
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Randy Jones is a pretty good defencemen. He is in the Mold of Ron Hainsey. I will take him anytime in my team.


I agree with Hatcher being useless though.
He's been useless since the new NHL

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 07:55 PM
  #7
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,489
vCash: 500
Hatcher is my favourite Flyers player.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 08:38 PM
  #8
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,844
vCash: 500
It doesn't matter Biron has a horseshoe up his A$$ and the Habs keep hitting him in the crest.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 08:58 PM
  #9
transitguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
How about Markov and Komasarek. Neither has played to their capabilities during the playoffs.

transitguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:03 PM
  #10
Flyguy_1ca
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 386
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Flyguy_1ca
Jones has been great these playoffs for the Flyers.....if you want the worst pairing these playoffs, it was when Jason Smith played with Jaro Modry...those 2 together were FRIGHTNING

Flyguy_1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:26 PM
  #11
flappuck
Registered User
 
flappuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
No idea, but it's totally irrelevant. I'm not talking about statistics, I'm talking about watching him play.

I watched two games of the first round for Philly and obviously this whole series and I'm totally alarmed by how bad this pair is.
They're so bad that they currently lead the Habs 3-1 in the second round after they took out Ovechkin and the bunch in the first round.
Jones is #1 in +/- with +8 and Hatcher is +5 which ties him for #4.

Yup, they suck big time.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 09:43 PM
  #12
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post

Yup, they suck big time.
Agreed.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 11:27 PM
  #13
KenAF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,421
vCash: 500
Hatcher is one of Philly's best players on the PK. In open ice, he is slooooow, but when the Flyers are stuck playing defense in their own zone on the PK, he does what they need him to do. If you go near Biron, he makes you pay.

As far as the defense, most Montreal fans don't seem to understand that the Flyers give them the shots from the point. The Flyers give them the shots from the slot, except to Kovalev. The Flyers' do everything they can to bait the Montreal players away from the net so (1) Biron can see everything, and (2) they are always first to rebounds. The Flyers dare Montreal to shoot from a distance and so far, the Habs have taken the bait.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 11:37 PM
  #14
AaronTrieu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
Hatcher is one of Philly's best players on the PK. In open ice, he is slooooow, but when the Flyers are stuck playing defense in their own zone on the PK, he does what they need him to do. If you go near Biron, he makes you pay.

As far as the defense, most Montreal fans don't seem to understand that the Flyers give them the shots from the point. The Flyers give them the shots from the slot, except to Kovalev. The Flyers' do everything they can to bait the Montreal players away from the net so (1) Biron can see everything, and (2) they are always first to rebounds. The Flyers dare Montreal to shoot from a distance and so far, the Habs have taken the bait.
Bingo.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 11:50 PM
  #15
scottie doesnt know
Registered User
 
scottie doesnt know's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 126
vCash: 500
Yea, if you wanted to see the worst pairing ever, look no further than Smith and Modry. If I'm not mistaken, up until game 4 or 5 in the Washington series, they were both on the ice for all the goals. It made me sick to watch them to out there. As horrible it was to hear how Modry's dad died, it saved us from having to use him against you. Now John Stevens has seen the light and is sticking with Kukkonen.

scottie doesnt know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 12:47 AM
  #16
Maximus Taylor
 
Maximus Taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 500
maybe. but PUCKS ARE STILL NOT GOING IN THE FLYERS NET.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 06:04 AM
  #17
spudnick
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It doesn't matter Biron has a horseshoe up his A$$ and the Habs keep hitting him in the crest.
Whats this say about the Canadiens? They can't or don't want to stand infront of the net , possibly from fear what might happen? If not then why? The Habs are getting shots, a few decent chances but no second opportunities. They Flyers are winning the battles a long the boards and in front of the net. The Canadien are a bigger team but play soft. All this and the fact the the Goalie differencial is Huuuugggggeeee.


Last edited by spudnick: 05-01-2008 at 06:16 AM.
spudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 06:54 AM
  #18
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Jones right now is probably our number 3 d-man. Derian's our number 4. Hatcher blocks shots really well, but also downfalls in sometimes screening the goalie (had a big problem with this last season, not anymore really though) and is slow as a turtle. Jones is actually improving a lot, and has in the past 2 years, and generally putting Jones with Hatcher takes away Hatcher's suck.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 06:55 AM
  #19
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie doesnt know View Post
Yea, if you wanted to see the worst pairing ever, look no further than Smith and Modry. If I'm not mistaken, up until game 4 or 5 in the Washington series, they were both on the ice for all the goals. It made me sick to watch them to out there. As horrible it was to hear how Modry's dad died, it saved us from having to use him against you. Now John Stevens has seen the light and is sticking with Kukkonen.
This is by far the worst pair, or if it ever happened, Modry and Kukkonen would probably be the worst pairing the Flyers could through at you.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 07:58 AM
  #20
Turbo
Registered User
 
Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greys section 325
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,198
vCash: 500
Flyers are not getting scored on this series in spite of their defense.

I think the Habs offense have been expoiting the slow Flyers defense just fine, as attests the shot count, the high number of scoring chances, and the amount of time spent in their zone.

A combination of Martin Biron being great (especially games 3 & 4) and many Habs not willing to pay the price to get in front of the net is in my opinion the major reason for the results we see.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 08:04 AM
  #21
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,190
vCash: 500
How the hell does the Flyers have the worst defensive pair when they're winning 3-1 and doesn't allow that great many scoring chances.

Whatever the reasons are, Markov and Komi are the worst right now.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 08:07 AM
  #22
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ____
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnightRU View Post
...Jones is actually improving a lot, and has in the past 2 years, and generally putting Jones with Hatcher takes away Hatcher's suck.
I sure hope we never have to pair a Habs with another just so he can "take away that player's suck"...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 08:10 AM
  #23
Habbadasher
Registered User
 
Habbadasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My couch
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
How the hell does the Flyers have the worst defensive pair when they're winning 3-1 and doesn't allow that great many scoring chances.

Whatever the reasons are, Markov and Komi are the worst right now.
Darn, exactly what I wanted to say.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 11:25 AM
  #24
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
I sure hope we never have to pair a Habs with another just so he can "take away that player's suck"...
What do you think Hamrlik has been doing all year....

Look at his partners.... Breezy, Streit, or a Rookie.... and the rookie is probably the best of the three defensively.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.