HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

sauve with coinfidence

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2004, 11:12 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
sauve with coinfidence

man if sauve could play like that every game!

outstanding game,

tony gets a lot of criticsm but a smart move to use sauve after his MVP performance over the weekend, i hope granato gives sauve some game time to rest aebi and give PL a decent amount of time to decide whether or not he needs a vet backup,

thoughts on sauve and what PL should do?

Old
02-10-2004, 11:40 PM
Benji Frank

He did a great job out there, but I was surprised to see him starting tonight! The games are spaced far enouph Aeby could have gotten the call......

Hopefully a full week off won't cool off Aebischer....

They couldn't have been showcasing Sauve?

Old
02-10-2004, 11:54 PM
fcbarcelona

IMO, sauve should get the start next game. his goaltending performance today was the best the avs have had this season from either goalie...so there's no way he's trade bait just yet. positionally, im more impressed with sauve. he also has better puckhandling skills and rebound control when he's on top of his game. i bet he gets the next start as he deserves it. if he manages to play well under these circumstances i can imagine there would be a goalie controversy...which would squash any avs rumors for a goalie. im curious to know why granato used sauve tonight. he must have figured he was a hot goalie right now but now that he's playing well...the avs might as well ride him until he cools down.

Old
02-11-2004, 12:06 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericholic19
his goaltending performance today was the best the avs have had this season from either goalie...
Give me a break.

So what was David Aebischer's 41 save performance in Edmonton in a 4-1 Avs win on November 28th? Or his unreal 38 save show against the Canucks in a 1-1 tie that we had no business getting any points out of? Even Aebischer's 37 saves last Tuesday against Carolina in a 3-1 win where we were clearly outplayed and outshot heavily... that was better than Phillipe Sauve tonight.

Aebischer is still our number one goaltender and top ten in the NHL thus far this season.

Old
02-11-2004, 12:19 AM
IceBagadonuts

Sauve

I wondered about the "showcasing" angle, too.

Reasons to SHOWCASE/TRADE him:

1. Coming off the Young Stars MVP gig -- and tonight's stellar performance -- his mkt value may never be higher (this season).
2. Peter Budaj (AHL/Hershey) may have slightly better skills, but is probably a year away from the NHL (as Aebischer's back-up).
3. He's a Rookie. If Abby falters/goes down, ya can't go into the playoffs with a rook, eh? (Or, can you? Remember Patty Roy?)
4. It's "up and out" time. He served his 3 years in the AHL and ya can't send him back, now. And, since he was kinda shakey before the Young Stars deal, we don't have the luxury now (we're going for broke this season) of waiting for him to "put it together" via on-the-job training.

Reasons to KEEP him:

1. Trading for that elusive "playoff experienced back-up Goalie" may cost the Avs a valuable roster player (Bad-bad).
2. Most "available" goalies don't have stats any better than Abby OR Sauve.
3. Maybe he's really coming around now. So... what if we give him a shot at at few more starts... his confidence booms... and he shows major-league stuff?
4. His father's Lacroix's pal and former agent-business partner.
5. The kid has heart... and good bloodlines: his father was an NHL goalie.

Unless a sweet, multi-player deal bubbles up real soon, I lean towards judiciously "showcasing" him more in the immediate future. It'll only enhance his development, while resting Aebischer for the stretch ahead. That's the best of all worlds.

Old
02-11-2004, 12:22 AM
fcbarcelona

sauve's play today certainly ranks up there with both of david's outstanding games (caught the oilers game on TV, nux game on radio). im not counting the canes game because carolina didn't have many quality scoring chances from what i can remember. in the oiler's game, aebi had a lucky first period and the avs were fortunate to come away with the win since the oilers weren't able to capitalize on their chances. in fact, aebi was the third, not first, star of the game on CTV sportsnet. thus far, aebi's game against vancouver and sauve's game today would rank, IMO, as the top 2 performances this season for an avs goalie.

its a pretty subjective assessment in choosing which game one thinks an avs goalie performed most remarkably well. of course, my view certainly doesn't mean a lot considering i didn't watch aebi's performance against the nux that night. im also baised towards sauve as i think he's the avs goalie of the future, rather than aebi. he may be a lil too much of a flopper but he is more technically sound. i see him following through in the john grahame mold.

in the end, i have caught many avs games this season and sauve left me more impressed today than aebi ever has. lets be honest here man, although sauve got lucky with two posts, he made many spectacular saves that easily rivals aebi's best efforts.

btw, if u don't like my opinion, competently and respectfully criticize my logic if you wish. i admit, im no expert. but don't ridicule me unless you send me a PM where we can really go at it.

Last edited by fcbarcelona: 02-11-2004 at 12:30 AM.
Old
02-11-2004, 09:19 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericholic19
btw, if u don't like my opinion, competently and respectfully criticize my logic if you wish. i admit, im no expert. but don't ridicule me unless you send me a PM where we can really go at it.
I did not ridicule you in the least and if you think I did then your comprehension of the English language needs some touching-up. You stated your opinion as fact, and I disagreed.

Forgive me for fueling legitimate hockey conversation.

Old
02-11-2004, 10:30 AM
DarioinDenver

This whole concept of a veteran backup goalie for the playoffs is asinine, and I've thought this from the beginning.

Can anyone name a starting playoff goaltender that did not make it through the playoffs to where the backup goaltender had to play? I can't. The facts are it's exceptionally rare to use a backup goalie in the playoffs.

What kind of message does it send to Aebischer if you trade for a guy like Burke/Kolzig or the usual suspects that have been mentioned from time to time? The message is, "if you screw up, at least we have a veteran to carry us". Confidence is a goalies best weapon and you severly deplete that if you stick a veteran goaltender behind him.

The other train of thought on this subject is getting a less intimidating veteran backup like a Irbe or maybe even a Potvin guy. My God, are we supposed to believe we have a better chance at a cup with either of those guys playing? My afformentioned point on backups playing in the playoffs makes such a move even more mind boggling.

So, some of you may say in conclusion that the Avs can trade Sauve for a defenseman. When are you going to do this? At the trade deadline? That means that Budaj will have to start a least a half dozen regular season games. Sauve is familiar with the NHL game and has his adjustment period. We would have to start all over with Budaj and those might not be six games the Avs can afford to miss points on as they will likely be opponents with the worst records. Critical games.

Old
02-11-2004, 12:33 PM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
This whole concept of a veteran backup goalie for the playoffs is asinine, and I've thought this from the beginning.

Can anyone name a starting playoff goaltender that did not make it through the playoffs to where the backup goaltender had to play? I can't. The facts are it's exceptionally rare to use a backup goalie in the playoffs.

What kind of message does it send to Aebischer if you trade for a guy like Burke/Kolzig or the usual suspects that have been mentioned from time to time? The message is, "if you screw up, at least we have a veteran to carry us". Confidence is a goalies best weapon and you severly deplete that if you stick a veteran goaltender behind him.

The other train of thought on this subject is getting a less intimidating veteran backup like a Irbe or maybe even a Potvin guy. My God, are we supposed to believe we have a better chance at a cup with either of those guys playing? My afformentioned point on backups playing in the playoffs makes such a move even more mind boggling.

So, some of you may say in conclusion that the Avs can trade Sauve for a defenseman. When are you going to do this? At the trade deadline? That means that Budaj will have to start a least a half dozen regular season games. Sauve is familiar with the NHL game and has his adjustment period. We would have to start all over with Budaj and those might not be six games the Avs can afford to miss points on as they will likely be opponents with the worst records. Critical games.
So you're suggesting we go in with the team we have now? Interesting Actually it might be the best option. Another is to get a Fernandez or a Potvin. I don't think either of those guys would cost too much or mess with Aebi's head. I favor these trades:

Sauve for Fernandez and a 3rd

Skoula for Boughner and a 3rd(I think this trade was proposed by a canes fan)

Old
02-11-2004, 12:40 PM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
I did not ridicule you in the least and if you think I did then your comprehension of the English language needs some touching-up. You stated your opinion as fact, and I disagreed.

Forgive me for fueling legitimate hockey conversation.

gee, i guess i take it the wrong way when you say "give me a break" or "you're comprehension of english may need some touching up". sorry about that.

Old
02-11-2004, 12:59 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_roland
So you're suggesting we go in with the team we have now? Interesting Actually it might be the best option. Another is to get a Fernandez or a Potvin. I don't think either of those guys would cost too much or mess with Aebi's head. I favor these trades:

Sauve for Fernandez and a 3rd

Skoula for Boughner and a 3rd(I think this trade was proposed by a canes fan)
Got no problems with the Boughner trade. But I'm not sure why we want a couple of guys who can or never will be part of the Avanche goalie future and can never develope into reputable trade value. If Sauve does well in the next six months of next season his trade value could garner good if not great value from the right team. But yes, in terms of goaltending I'm in favor of not changing a thing. Sauve being a liability for a playoff run is an arguement I simply can't buy.

Old
02-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes

Quote:
Got no problems with the Boughner trade. But I'm not sure why we want a couple of guys who can or never will be part of the Avanche goalie future and can never develope into reputable trade value. If Sauve does well in the next six months of next season his trade value could garner good if not great value from the right team. But yes, in terms of goaltending I'm in favor of not changing a thing. Sauve being a liability for a playoff run is an arguement I simply can't buy.
While a vet with some experience in the playoffs wouldn't be that bad of a thing to add, I agree with you, it's not that big of a deal right now. The Av's are winning, and there's no need to screw that up by bringing in another Goalie that could taint Abby's confidence, and shove Sauve back to the monirs. I think the Av's have bigger issues with face-offs, and lack of quality depth on defense. I'd much rather see a trade for a good center, that's good on draws and can help on the PK, and a veteran defenseman.

Old
02-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Foppa

Quote:

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm not sure what Sauve has done to draw the ire of so many fans...he's been inconsistant, but he's a young rookie. Its obvious he has very good upside and to trade him now after grooming him (very well I might add) for the better part of 3+ years before he even has any real trade value?

What more do you really need out of a backup right now? We'd all like to have Manny Legace as a backup goalie, but Sauve is like 8-4 and has not done anything to make me think we can't *sweat* out the rest of the season with him in goal...and we might get rewarded in the long-run. I agree that aquiring some 'veteran backup' with the assumption they are going to give this team the edge needed in the playoffs should something happen to Abby is absurd.

The big question to me is are the Avs 100% behind Aebischer or not? If they are, I don't see any goaltending move being made. If they aren't, then Lacroix will pull a rabbit out of his hat and aquire a legit, all-star calibur type (I realize we are talking about a rare breed here but stranger things have happened) who's carried his team in the playoffs before (recently, not 5-10 years ago) and there will be no questions as to the pecking order.

Closed Thread