HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alexander Perezhogin

Old
05-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Erika

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Yeah... Higgins is such a "useless player", right?

So I guess thats why every team dealing with the Habs at the trade deadline wanted him in the deal everytime, right? They all needed a useless player in the deal and they all wanted HIM to be included for some strange reason, is that it? Or have you conveniently forgotten that?

All i remember about Perezhogin was that yes, he was quick but he also took a lot of bad penalties, wasnt a team player and he was depressing to watch. Reminds me a lot of Grabovski toughness wise (or absence thereof).

Instead of toughing it out and learning North american hockey like A. Kostitsyn did and Valentenko is doing, he thought just about his little self and abandonned a team to go get more cash in Russia.

He will never come back the the NHL, he's way too scared for that. And no GM would take a chance on a guy who bolted for mommy and his country so easily.

That's why I said to trade his monkey a$$ while the guy still has some value. He might bring us back something good. You think the fact that lots of GM wants him is a proof that he's good ?! Jason Pominville was on Waivers and nobody wanted him so was Daniel Briere. Thoses GMs can't make mistakes ?! What thoses GM probably are saying is "I will be able to make this guy produce". There's always GMs that will think so.

And let me say this, if you were Perezhogin, you would've probably do the same.
His family, wife and friends was in Russia and the coach didn't even give him a chance to prove himself. Carbo prefered to place Mark Streit on the first line instead of giving him a chance. Even Dandenault, Johnson and Begin had their chances on the first line. I remember it like if it was yesterday. He was doomed to play with superstars like Bonk and Johnson ohhhhh. Chris Higgins wouldn't even scored 5 goals with theses two.

Also, the guy was doing the job the coach wanted him to do and he was the best player on his line by far, leading the team in +/- department.

Koivu and S.Kostitsyn always takes hooking penalty, does that mean they are lazy ?! Koivu, S.Kostitsyn and Perezhogin all has this passion in common. They try to hard and sometimes it results in hooking penalties. It's nothing to do with being lazy, because Perezhogin was one of the hardest workers I've seen.

I'm wondering if you whatched the games or not because reading you're arguments, it's makes me say you don't know hockey too much...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montral Shadow View Post
Can we hope to see him back. I believe Montreal holds his NHL rights but I'm not sure. I don't think he'd be FA if he was playing in the NHL. I always thought that guy had amazing skills, it's a loss he went to Russia.
They are starting a new league next season in Russia and it's financed by their oil industry, i don't think we will see him in NA in the near future. If anything im afraid of losing players, not hoping to get some back.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
+1 I agree

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
I'm wondering if you whatched the games or not because reading you're arguments, it's makes me say you don't know hockey too much...
Well i've been watching hockey since i was four and that now makes 47 straight years i've been watching it. I'd venture to say i know a thing or two about hockey here and there. But you're entitled to your opinion.

Perezhogin is a typical dime a dozen European perimeter player. We also have the same type in America but what i mean is that he is not hard to replace and is not and will not be missed much when he is gone.

Perezhogin looked to me to be a carbon copy of Russ Courtnall but with an even lesser scoring touch. Coach Pat Burns called him "Le Chevreuil" and we were fast going towards "Le Chevreuil II" with Perezhogin.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Well i've been watching hockey since i was four and that now makes 47 straight years i've been watching it. I'd venture to say i know a thing or two about hockey here and there. But you're entitled to your opinion.

Perezhogin is a typical dime a dozen European perimeter player. We also have the same type in America but what i mean is that he is not hard to replace and is not and will not be missed much when he is gone.

Perezhogin looked to me to be a carbon copy of Russ Courtnall but with an even lesser scoring touch. Coach Pat Burns called him "Le Chevreuil" and we were fast going towards "Le Chevreuil II" with Perezhogin.

I'm usually with you oldtimer but I think Perezhogin has more value than you perceive. I'm not sure that he was given the long term opportunity that he deserves. He has an outstanding pedigree and succeeded everywhere but Montreal. Give him a complete year on one of the two top line and I think he's a 30 goal scorer.

I do agree that we already have too many similar type players. Not sure I want A. Kost, S.Kost, Kovalev, and Perezhogin as my wingers on the top two lines. I do think we need a couple of bangers.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
I'm usually with you oldtimer but ...

Old
05-01-2008, 09:12 PM
V-2 Schneider

Quote:
Yeah... Higgins is such a "useless player", right?
Nah, he's a turbo charged version of Reggie Houle.He'll be the ultimate top 9 utility forward, and if he could raise his shooting percentage by 10%, he'll escape being another Brian Savage.If he can't, he could still end up being the best high scoring 3rd liner in the game.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Slick Nick

He struggled in the RSL's playoffs though... in fact, his line was held off the scoring sheet for most of the games. I don't know what happend with them after such a great season..

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:19 PM
jordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar436 View Post
how overrated
maybe he can't be a top 6 as he did not show alot and when he showed either julien or carbo did not give him the chance. so what is just some flashes or not we canèt know, but I can tell you that he would have made a good 3rd liner who can fill in for a coupel of games for top 6 role in case of injuries or line juggling like carbo likes to do.
we dont need another small fast player who isn't tough and refuses to pay the price, we already have guys like plekanec and the kostitsyns who are filling that role very nicely. AND perezhogin isn't suited to play on the 3rd line, your third liners are your penalty killers, your diggers, who pay the price, who block shots, who take the body, who fight and perezhogin doesn't do any of these, and he doesn't seem like too much of a goal scorer either...so what can he do and why does everyone always bring him up?

jordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I like Perezhogin, but I doubt he'll come back. I wouldn't pay him over a million let alone what he's getting over there right now.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
I forget is he the guy that nearly killed a player in the AHL with a slash to the head?

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:39 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-2 Schneider View Post
Nah, he's a turbo charged version of Reggie Houle.He'll be the ultimate top 9 utility forward, and if he could raise his shooting percentage by 10%, he'll escape being another Brian Savage.If he can't, he could still end up being the best high scoring 3rd liner in the game.
I love the lack of respect Higgins gets around here. Yes, he misses many chances but the guy is still 24 years old. He's topped over 22 goals each year in the NHL and had 27 this year and if he was more consistent he could've had over 35, at least.

The thing with Higgins is he needs to stay confident, once he gets older his confidence will rise and he'll have no problem potting 30 goals a year, escape being another Brian Savage? He's already surpassed Savage's career high in goals

Now back to Perezhogin, sure it would be nice to have him here but if he doesn't want to play in Montreal then he can **** off and stay in Russia. I'd rather Gainey package him up if possible and try to move up in the draft or possibly get a gritty forward as we have many guys who do the same type of job Perezhogin does.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:40 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I forget is he the guy that nearly killed a player in the AHL with a slash to the head?
Yeah, but the player he nearly killed missed when he tried doing the exact same thing to Perezhogin.

Old
05-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Are you trolling here?? or is this a serious question??

If its #1.... Stop!
If its #2.... Google is your friend.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Guillemin

His was on of the most disgusting actions I've ever seen, and I was always ashamed to see him wear the uniform. I don't care if he never did it again. He did it, with malicious intent, and I'm glad he's not a Hab anymore.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Megaforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
He did it, with malicious intent, and I'm glad he's not a Hab anymore.
It was more of a friendly stick wave from what I remember.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
His was on of the most disgusting actions I've ever seen, and I was always ashamed to see him wear the uniform. I don't care if he never did it again. He did it, with malicious intent, and I'm glad he's not a Hab anymore.
PUH-LEASE..... The other player slashed at his face first... then Perezhogin dodged it... He got turned around and was not facing the player when he started his slash.... He aimed at where he thought the other player's hip would be.... did a 180 degree turn and gave him a two hander... .in the meantime unseen to Perez; Stafford moved and as a result the slash got him in the temple.

Was it reckless? Yes.... Did he deserve a long suspension?? YES, you can't be swinging sticks like that.... Did he intend to hit the other guy in the head?? NO.

Heres a clip.

Old
05-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Locks

Quote:

Perezhogin looked to me to be a carbon copy of Russ Courtnall but with an even lesser scoring touch.
Unfortunately for the Habs, Perezhogin is a loss that the Habs haven't really replaced.
He, at this stage of his development, is a perfect third-liner who is great defensively and has offensive skills to chip in on a regular basis and could be dropped on pretty much any line in case of injuries and fit in there, somewhat reminicent of Benoit Brunet( I miss a player like Benny). He is the kind of quality depth two-way player that Phili has a few - Upshall comes to mind - and we don't. A guy like Ryder does not fit that mold - he is either on the top 2 lines or in the stands and our bottom six - the likes of Kosto, Begin or Laps - are all a notch or two below. I am not even mentioning Dandy - he should be playing in the Swiss league with Paul DiPietro. And Perez is not a Euro perimeter player - he is not afraid to get in trafic and, to my surprise, was pretty solid along the boards. And if you need an example of a perimeter player, you don't need to look far, we had one last season: Samsonov. I am not sure if Perez can be a thirty-goal scorer as the poster above suggested, he doesn't have the pure offensive talent of, say, the Kostys, but there is little doubt in my mind that he could be very helpful this very season the way he is.

Locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
It was more of a friendly stick wave from what I remember.
"friendly"..huh?

Remind me to never piss off a Russian...

Old
05-01-2008, 10:04 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
PUH-LEASE..... The other player slashed at his face first... then Perezhogin dodged it... He got turned around and was not facing the player when he started his slash.... He aimed at where he thought the other player's hip would be.... did a 180 degree turn and gave him a two hander... .in the meantime unseen to Perez; Stafford moved and as a result the slash got him in the temple.

Was it reckless? Yes.... Did he deserve a long suspension?? YES, you can't be swinging sticks like that.... Did he intend to hit the other guy in the head?? NO.
I totally agree, the thing about the play is Perezhogin was inches away from being knocked out by a slash to his own face, people need to put themselves into Perezhogin's head there. If someone nearly slashes you in the face what do you expect to do? Just skate away? Perezhogin reacted in a way that many people would react in by retaliating back, no one knows other than Perezhogin if he intended to slash Stafford in the face or just wanted to slash him in the hip or back... but the play was simply karma, what went around came back around for Stafford, that being said the suspension was deserved and it was still dirty and there is no need to see that in hockey.

Old
05-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The Habs are bigger up the middle than Phillie or Boston...why is that an issue?

Koivu bigger than Briere
Plekanec almost as big as Richards(5'10" 195 vs 5'11" 195)
Smolinski is as big as Carter(6'2" 210 vs 6'3" 200)
Lapierre is bigger than Dowd(6'2" 210 vs 5'10" 185)

Same goes for Savard Bergeron Kessel Metropoilit Krejci who are even smaller.
Koivu and Briere are equal I will give you that.

Mike Richards plays a totally differnt game the Pleks, hes a excelent mix of skill and power, I imagine most players in the NHL would rather match up against Plekanec 9 times out of 10 before Richards, hes just tougher to play against.

I am going to compare Dowd to Smoke just because I think they are more so in the same class, they are both vetran UFA signings, they are pretty much equally crappy the majority of the time but every once in a while they win a big faceoff or score an important goal, there leadership cant be overlooked. Carry a couple of these guys every year good for the young kids good in the playoffs/clutch.

And Lapierre and Carter well I think Most would take Carter he is by far more skilled and smarter, Lapierres job on this team in my opinion is up in the air I can see Chippchura taking his spot back out of traning camp next year.

Its not so much size its the way you play the game, Boston and Philly have/are exposing how soft this lineup can be.

We look to be loaded on the wings with young players centers play a more important role too so spending the money there saving it on wingers would be in our benifit probably because of our depth chart.

Give us a good big center a few years for our young team to develop and we could be a true contender. You need 3 good responsible lines in the NHL, I don't have much faith in our 3rd and 4th line centers to keep the puck out of our net.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Koivu and S.Kostitsyn always takes hooking penalty, does that mean they are lazy ?! Koivu, S.Kostitsyn and Perezhogin all has this passion in common. They try to hard and sometimes it results in hooking penalties. It's nothing to do with being lazy, because Perezhogin was one of the hardest workers I've seen.
You think that Koivu works too hard, then takes a penalty because of it? Kay...

How does getting out of position, losing your man, then hooking on instead of skating hard to catch him not make you lazy?

Koivu and Kovalev are similar players in that respect. They will take a penalty instead of backchecking once every two games. It just happened to be badly timed this last game.

Old
05-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

Heres a clip.

Of course he didn't mean to hit the guy in the head. He's not an animal. Bertuzzi didn't mean to break Moore's neck. McSorely didn't want to do much more than draw some blood from Brashear.

But there was intent to injure in all those plays, including Perezhogin's slash.

Old
05-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Of course he didn't mean to hit the guy in the head. He's not an animal. Bertuzzi didn't mean to break Moore's neck. McSorely didn't want to do much more than draw some blood from Brashear.

But there was intent to injure in all those plays, including Perezhogin's slash.
Doesn't make it right.... but he did get caught in the heat of the moment when Stafford tried to slash him in the face..... he deserved the suspension... but there is no way in my mind it is comparable to McSorely and Bertuzzi... Those two were pre-meditated and happened long after the original incidents that got them upset.

Old
05-02-2008, 12:44 AM
Teufelsdreck

Perezhogin did exactly what Bernie Geoffrion once did in a game against the NY Rangers. A player by the name of Murphy swung a stick at Geoffrion, so Geoffrion swung at his head with his stick. He missed, so he swung again and broke Murphy's jaw. If fans have no use for Perezhogin, what about Geoffrion? You like what he did? Geofrion wasn't suspended nearly as long as Perezhogin was (something like 8 games vs. an entire year). I suppose Geoffrion deserved more lenient treatment because he spoke French instead of Russian?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote