HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Re-Sign Mara

Old
05-02-2008, 11:47 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Ward, for whatever reason, was just a terrible fit here, much like Cullen, Hall, Dupuis, etc. Considering that changes that have/will take place since they left, you can't say things wouldn't be different this time around, but I'm sure you're still gun shy from the experience. I stick with Mara for that reason alone I guess.
its not that cullen was a terrible fit here, its just that renney did not use him the right way. i thought he was decent here. he was a 3ed liner playing 2ed line minutes due to lack of depth.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Fletch

I don't think...

Mara's value will be too extraordinary in the offseason - he's been mostly a third pair defenseman for the Rangers and they've done a decent job keeping his value down. As SBoB said, once Rozsival jumps ship for $5MM someplace else, it would be something to consider, especially if you can sign Mara to a 1 or 2 year contract. Sounds a bit out of the ordinary (the length), but you never know what the demand out there will be.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
Nope. Too much money.
$3m is too much money. Give me a break. The cap is going up to $56.1 million and it's very likely Shanahan's $5.3m, Malik's $2.5m and some other salaries will be coming off the payroll.

Two years, $6.5m for Mara. Get it done Slats!

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 12:15 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
...I don't care what he does defensively...
You don't care what a defenseman does defensively?

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 12:34 PM
slim399

Mara has been good in the playoffs...really liked what I saw from him last night, but I can't see him coming back. Tom freakin Poti got 4 years at 14 mill last year. Mara will be looking for a long term deal for around the same price and some team with a lack of defense will give it to him. I wouldn't give him more then 1 year at 2.5. You have to remeber that we already have Staal, Tyutin, and Girardi at the pro level... Sauer, Sangs, Baranka, and Potter all could be ready as soon as next year. and we are stuck with Backman as a 5-6 for next year. The only thing the rangers should be focusing on is a #1 veteran dman to play with Staal and help teach the kids.

Right now Redden would be my pick.

slim399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 01:14 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim399 View Post
Mara has been good in the playoffs...really liked what I saw from him last night, but I can't see him coming back. Tom freakin Poti got 4 years at 14 mill last year. Mara will be looking for a long term deal for around the same price and some team with a lack of defense will give it to him. I wouldn't give him more then 1 year at 2.5. You have to remeber that we already have Staal, Tyutin, and Girardi at the pro level... Sauer, Sangs, Baranka, and Potter all could be ready as soon as next year. and we are stuck with Backman as a 5-6 for next year. The only thing the rangers should be focusing on is a #1 veteran dman to play with Staal and help teach the kids.

Right now Redden would be my pick.
ugh i dont want redden, rather someone with a nasty streak. vishnevski salvador orpik kurt sauer(we have his younger brother), commodore would be cheaper and better options.

Old
05-02-2008, 01:16 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
ugh i dont want redden, rather someone with a nasty streak. vishnevski salvador orpik kurt sauer(we have his younger brother), commodore would be cheaper and better options.
don't want Redden either. A) he will cost too much. B) i think he is starting to see the downside of his career and by the end of the contract will be completely overpaying for him.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 01:17 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
don't want Redden either. A) he will cost too much. B) i think he is starting to see the downside of his career and by the end of the contract will be completely overpaying for him.
and a need for mean physical dman/ we have enough skating dman that aint that physical. rather have a dman crush someone if they go near lundqvist

Old
05-02-2008, 01:27 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I really want Mara back too..the guy has been playing really well lately.

Rozsival has been inconsistent at times and if he simply prices himself out of here, I wouldn't bother going after him.

I'm not a fan of Redden...someone's going to overpay him and I honestly think he's on the tail-end of his career as it is. I still like Campbell to be honest...I know he would be expensive and he's far from the perfect d-man, but I'd love that shot on the power play..and since he's friends with Drury, that could help get him in here.

But Mara is a priority in my opinion. Gotta have him back.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
its not that cullen was a terrible fit here, its just that renney did not use him the right way. i thought he was decent here. he was a 3ed liner playing 2ed line minutes due to lack of depth.
Yah, well, if you're going to play for Renney, you're going to have to be versatile and ready to adapt to whatever role he feels like using you in that day. Right or wrong, it's his way and there's no sense in trying to get a one trick pony like Cullen on board with such a strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post

Two years, $6.5m for Mara. Get it done Slats!
No way in hell I sign up for Mara for that kind of money.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 02:59 PM
NYROrtsFan

Would prefer Redden... Think the change of scenery will do something and he is not that old when it comes to hockey years... I mean the guy is 31. I know he won't play nasty or anything like that but Redden could definitely be what this team needs from the back end and as an offensive player. I also think he may be scapegoated considering that Ottawa has had such a bad year, and it likely isn't his fault. He would be my preference anyway if Rozy can't be brought back.

There are a couple alternatives out there to be a physical 6th defenseman.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Ace2008

Adam Foote 2 yrs 8.2 mill

or Ward 2 yrs 4.4 mill

both have won cups and have the hitting+size to lay on the bigger guys

Mara is ok for 1yr @2.25-2.5...honestly Backman is lighter @205lbs than Mara but he does the same things and is only 2.3 mill for a former 24 min a night 40 pt PPQB from STL(look it up he was last years THN Unsung hero for the Blues)

Mara...bigger slightly better defensively and a cannon shot..but Accuracy is better

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
What happened to Mara's offensive game? It's bizarre for a defenseman to go from posting 15 goals and 47 points to 5 goals and 23 points the next season.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:15 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Dump Backman, Rozy, Malik

that leaves Tyutin (who i wouldn't have any qualms of trading at the draft), Girardi, Staal, Mara

Hutchinson will play up here next year and sanguinetti will make it up at some point im guessing. Go for BRad Stuart (someone who can hit and clear the front of our net)

Staal-Mara
Stuart-Hutchinson
Girardi-Tyutin

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:17 PM
NYReign

Nothing to do with Mara (though I would re-sign him btw), but can anyone remind me about Dupuis' few games with us? I missed a couple of them due to other commitments so I barely remember him, but why exactly didn't he fit in? I agreed with the trade at the time, but in hindsight it looks like a mistake (though I have no problem with it, even now. it was the right thing to do even if bourret hasn't worked out.)

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:20 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post
Adam Foote 2 yrs 8.2 mill

or Ward 2 yrs 4.4 mill

both have won cups and have the hitting+size to lay on the bigger guys

Mara is ok for 1yr @2.25-2.5...honestly Backman is lighter @205lbs than Mara but he does the same things and is only 2.3 mill for a former 24 min a night 40 pt PPQB from STL(look it up he was last years THN Unsung hero for the Blues)

Mara...bigger slightly better defensively and a cannon shot..but Accuracy is better
ward didnt work out in NY his first time....he was traded for mara

foote is too old.....would rather take the chance on orpik to see what he can be or make a trade

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:20 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Dump Backman, Rozy, Malik

that leaves Tyutin (who i wouldn't have any qualms of trading at the draft), Girardi, Staal, Mara

Hutchinson will play up here next year and sanguinetti will make it up at some point im guessing. Go for BRad Stuart (someone who can hit and clear the front of our net)

Staal-Mara
Stuart-Hutchinson
Girardi-Tyutin
how do you plan to dump Backman (which isn't going to happen anyway), we still have to re-sign hutchinson.

btw anybody else find it amusing that most people wanted mara off the team at the beginning of the year and used him and Malik in every single trade. how fickle.

By the way, my opinion is I could care less if they re-sign Mara or not. He is a replaceable player IMO. I would rather see a 6 man group consist of Staal, Girardi, Tyutin, Baranka, orpik, Campbell.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 05:40 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
how do you plan to dump Backman (which isn't going to happen anyway), we still have to re-sign hutchinson.

btw anybody else find it amusing that most people wanted mara off the team at the beginning of the year and used him and Malik in every single trade. how fickle.

By the way, my opinion is I could care less if they re-sign Mara or not. He is a replaceable player IMO. I would rather see a 6 man group consist of Staal, Girardi, Tyutin, Baranka, orpik, Campbell.
well, yes, its going to be hard to "dump" Backman, but I hope he gets traded, he's horrible.

I really like Mara and said before I want him resigned, also agree with Signin a page back that he's the closest we have to leadership on the blue line and probably will be next year too.

agree with Future too, if Tytuin was traded for a good player, I'd have no problem with that.

If Orpik and Campbell are in Slats sights, that'd be nice, probably no room for Mara then.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Nich

i would love to see brad stuart here

and really the way i see it, if rosi isn't back, mara is

staal - stuart
tuts - girardi
hutch - mara
backman

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 06:03 PM
In The Flesh

anyone know if Maras interview after the game is online?? I looked around, couldn't find it.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 08:10 PM
blue425

I like Mara. I think he and Struds stay. Thats as in depth as I can get right now...can't keep eyes open.

And what about Baranka, Hutchinson, and Bobby from Jersey?

blue425 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 10:44 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i would love to see brad stuart here

and really the way i see it, if rosi isn't back, mara is

staal - stuart
tuts - girardi
hutch - mara
backman
wow if stuart is a ufa id take him. stuart and orpik. new d

staal stuart
mara girardi
Orpik Sang
Struds

Tyutin dealt on draft day to move up for top 10 pick.

Old
05-02-2008, 11:58 PM
funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
I think Mara is worth about 2.5 million we will definitely not resign him.

Roszival we HAVE to keep... are you people that are willing to let him go going to find a better option on the market to put up those points and be competent defensively? Dream on.
Roszival is soft, unproductive and in over his head. He is rumored to want over 4 million a year. Save the money, use it on a true offensive weapon and some scoring wingers.

funky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:26 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

I think Mara has played himself back into contract consideration. Two months ago he was gone.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Choice

Oh god no way. Unless he's willing to sign for a bargain-basment deal, I wouldn't touch Mara. We're already locked in to Backman for another year. Would much rather keep Rosy than Mara.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote