HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bouwmeester contract talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-09-2008, 06:40 AM
  #1
jol
Registered User
 
jol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Miami Beach, Florida
Posts: 1,567
vCash: 500
Bouwmeester contract talk

Miami Herald's Barry Jackson in his column "Sports Buzz" writes:

"• Unsure how he will handle restricted free agency, top defenseman Jay Bouwmeester declined to say if he wants to remain with the Panthers long-term.

He could force their hand by signing a one-year deal and becoming an unrestricted free agent in 2009. . . . "

Also he writes about Jokinen and Vokoun.

http://www.miamiherald.com/1262/story/488129.html

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 07:33 AM
  #2
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,051
vCash: 500
Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't stay here, especially long term. Because of that, I also don't expect him to sign an RFA offer sheet since I'm certain he's aware that doing that will allow the Panthers to match that offer. If he doesn't want to be here long term, he likely won't do much to allow that to happen. However, if he does like it here, or is indifferent to staying or going, he could sign an RFA sheet if he's unhappy with the amounts the Panthers are offering and likes the RFA offer better.

We were uncertain about Horton and Weiss last year, Olli a couple years ago, and they all signed on long term as well. Just wish we'd made the playoffs this year, then we'd have a better shot at keeping him.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 07:56 AM
  #3
Lola
Future Panthers
 
Lola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,032
vCash: 500
If he doesn't sign, I'm going to be heartbroken. That's 2 steps back for this organization as far as defense goes. Not to mention, I just bought his jersey in October. I knew I should have waited!

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 08:05 AM
  #4
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
If he doesn't sign, I'm going to be heartbroken. That's 2 steps back for this organization as far as defense goes. Not to mention, I just bought his jersey in October. I knew I should have waited!
If he does wind up leaving, I'm going to have to give you money for Stumpel's jersey.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 08:12 AM
  #5
Booth10
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 353
vCash: 500
I would give more credibility to what Jay said himself to George Richards, then what Barry Jackson makes up out of his own head.

Jay Bouwmeester says now is the time for he and the Panthers to start talking about a contract, but wouldn't go into much more detail. I asked him if he wanted to stay with the Panthers, and he basically said Florida is the only place he knows and he is comfortable here. Adds the Panthers gave him the opportunity to be a big-time player, and he's appreciative of that. Jay adds he'll probably play at Worlds, although nothing is concrete. With the tournament in Canada, expect for a lot of NHLers to agree to play this summer.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 09:56 AM
  #6
pb1300
BLEED RED
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,666
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth10 View Post
I would give more credibility to what Jay said himself to George Richards, then what Barry Jackson makes up out of his own head.

Jay Bouwmeester says now is the time for he and the Panthers to start talking about a contract, but wouldn't go into much more detail. I asked him if he wanted to stay with the Panthers, and he basically said Florida is the only place he knows and he is comfortable here. Adds the Panthers gave him the opportunity to be a big-time player, and he's appreciative of that. Jay adds he'll probably play at Worlds, although nothing is concrete. With the tournament in Canada, expect for a lot of NHLers to agree to play this summer.
+1 That was from GR's blog BTW.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:27 AM
  #7
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,345
vCash: 500
Changed the thread title to be less misleading.

Continue

__________________
"...and ultimately it doesn't matter."
Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:27 AM
  #8
Clint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Jesus H, if Bouwmeester signs a 1 year deal this team is proper-****ed.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:59 AM
  #9
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Well, this is no surprise. I don't think he likes South Florida and if he doesn't sign a long term contract now he is as good as gone. I would like to trade him straight up for one player. Maybe Zetterberg or Heatley.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 11:12 AM
  #10
FlaPanthers7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: France
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Ugh, I've been nervous about this for a while. I appreciate GR's blog, but I've still never heard Jay say I want to be a Panther like Horton did before he signed. Jay is playing it right down the middle of the road which is either smart on his part or good coaching by agent just in case they do decide to go elsewhere.

Jay is the only guy I'd call a budding superstar on this team. He's worth the most in terms of trade value and if we can't get the long-term deal done this summer then by draft day he might just have to be on the block.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 11:24 AM
  #11
Clint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
Well, this is no surprise. I don't think he likes South Florida and if he doesn't sign a long term contract now he is as good as gone. I would like to trade him straight up for one player. Maybe Zetterberg or Heatley.
But then our defense would have a huge whole in it. I guess we would NEED that puck moving blueliner this summer if he won't sign.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 11:31 AM
  #12
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Maybe we should try to get a young star like Kane or Toews out of Chicago for Bouw.

I would consider trading Jokinen too if the price is right because of this. We could get two legit young stars for these two guys plus we would have money to spend on UFA's. We might even be able to dump some contracts along the way (If you want Bouw here is stumpel.)

Between Jokinen and Bouw that is at least 10 million assuming jay gets at least 5 which is more than likely if not guaranteed. Trading for Kane or Toews still gives us more cap space with great talent.

I think if Jay isn't signed by draft day to a long term contract we should trade him and Jokinen.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 11:33 AM
  #13
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
But then our defense would have a huge whole in it. I guess we would NEED that puck moving blueliner this summer if he won't sign.
We could sign Redden or a number of other d-men, the ufa d market is solid.

Edit: upon further review the d-market is decent not that great.


Last edited by OneOfTheHockeyGods*: 04-09-2008 at 11:38 AM.
OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 12:03 PM
  #14
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Ugh, I've been nervous about this for a while. I appreciate GR's blog, but I've still never heard Jay say I want to be a Panther like Horton did before he signed. Jay is playing it right down the middle of the road which is either smart on his part or good coaching by agent just in case they do decide to go elsewhere.
You're reminding me of the day Bouw was drafted...when he was selected I noted that he seemed less than thrilled. Chalked it up to his being unhappy about being picked 3rd instead of 1st overall...but maybe he just wasn't happy about being selected by the Panthers?

Horton by contrast even said he wanted to be a Panther in his post-selection TV interview.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 12:12 PM
  #15
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,030
vCash: 500
I wouldn't be that mad if we made a trade with someone like LA involving Bouwmeester for that 2nd overall pick and one of their nice young players. That way we could draft someone like Bogosian, Schenn, Doughty, Pietrangelo, etc...., pick up another nice player, and then use the money we saved to hopefully sign someone like Brian Campbell. I'd have to think Bouwmeester's value would be that of at least 1 first round pick, 1 top prospect/good player, and something else.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 12:33 PM
  #16
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
I wouldn't be that mad if we made a trade with someone like LA involving Bouwmeester for that 2nd overall pick and one of their nice young players. That way we could draft someone like Bogosian, Schenn, Doughty, Pietrangelo, etc...., pick up another nice player, and then use the money we saved to hopefully sign someone like Brian Campbell. I'd have to think Bouwmeester's value would be that of at least 1 first round pick, 1 top prospect/good player, and something else.
I said this a long time ago as well. Bouw is my favorite Panther, but he's also our most valuable trade asset. If we were to trade him this off season, the package would be huge. Then we could go out and give a lot of money to Campbell to replace Bouw. Our team would be drastically improved IMO.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 12:38 PM
  #17
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
I said this a long time ago as well. Bouw is my favorite Panther, but he's also our most valuable trade asset. If we were to trade him this off season, the package would be huge. Then we could go out and give a lot of money to Campbell to replace Bouw. Our team would be drastically improved IMO.
The question in that is would LA trade the 2nd overall pick? We don't know the focus of management there, if they'd prefer getting a 30yo player who's put up top-25 numbers for a couple of seasons but struggled for the last 2+ months this year, or if they're focusing on rebuilding from within with youth?

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 01:24 PM
  #18
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig
 
I May Be Wrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,396
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
It would be bad for this team to lose Bouw.. Really the last thing it needs. Only trade him if its the absolute last option. Even then I think we would be taking a step back. Its really hard to gauge our defense without him.

Just not sure about this one.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 01:24 PM
  #19
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
The question in that is would LA trade the 2nd overall pick? We don't know the focus of management there, if they'd prefer getting a 30yo player who's put up top-25 numbers for a couple of seasons but struggled for the last 2+ months this year, or if they're focusing on rebuilding from within with youth?
I think you've mistaken my post. I wasn't talking about trading Olli, I was talking about trading Bouw.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 01:35 PM
  #20
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
I wouldn't be that mad if we made a trade with someone like LA involving Bouwmeester for that 2nd overall pick and one of their nice young players. That way we could draft someone like Bogosian, Schenn, Doughty, Pietrangelo, etc...., pick up another nice player, and then use the money we saved to hopefully sign someone like Brian Campbell. I'd have to think Bouwmeester's value would be that of at least 1 first round pick, 1 top prospect/good player, and something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
I said this a long time ago as well. Bouw is my favorite Panther, but he's also our most valuable trade asset. If we were to trade him this off season, the package would be huge. Then we could go out and give a lot of money to Campbell to replace Bouw. Our team would be drastically improved IMO.
In the event Bouw doesn't want to be here anymore, which is entirely likely, LA would be a great trade partner. Their pick and say Cammellari would be great here, especially if we can sign Campbell.

Love Bouw and love Olli, but if we can improve the team that way, it's worth considering at least. Especially if Bouw wants out.

*LA may not go crazy with an unsigned, 1 season away from UFA Bouwmeester, though.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 01:36 PM
  #21
Slick Cat
Registered User
 
Slick Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
the best thing that could happen is that a team gives him an offer sheet now

we can match if it's reasonable, which I doubt, or we can let him go and get all those picks

I doubt he signs long term here

as many of you think he is the second coming of Bobby Orr, I see him as very talented but overrated defensively, and I would not pay him much more than 6 mill per year, which is what he will likely get thanks to tampa giving Boyle that ridiculous contract

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 02:12 PM
  #22
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
I think you've mistaken my post. I wasn't talking about trading Olli, I was talking about trading Bouw.
Sorry, too many threads to keep track of.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 02:17 PM
  #23
Clint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
Trading for Kane or Toews still gives us more cap space with great talent.
You would have to pry Kane and Toews out of the collective cold dead fingers of the entire Blackhawk fanbase.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 02:59 PM
  #24
homegrizown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: pembroke pines fl
Country: United States
Posts: 524
vCash: 500
i just think bouwmeester is not really an emotional guy.. i think this season i saw more fire in him then ever. and with certain comments about wanting to make the playoffs and win. i tend to believe he would want to stay here, help this team take the next step. make the playoffs and be know on some team then being traded and just being the man out of nowhere.

but if he truely doesn't want to be here then obviously a trade has to be made. if he is traded this off-season why not to anihiem niedermayer will be retiring i'm sure they'll want someone to try and replace him BO won't but he'll be the perfect type of replacement. maybe get perry and a pick or top prospect?

homegrizown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 03:00 PM
  #25
FlaPanthers7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: France
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
You're reminding me of the day Bouw was drafted...when he was selected I noted that he seemed less than thrilled. Chalked it up to his being unhappy about being picked 3rd instead of 1st overall...but maybe he just wasn't happy about being selected by the Panthers?

Horton by contrast even said he wanted to be a Panther in his post-selection TV interview.
Totally remember that too. Even Weiss flat out said he wanted to be here long-term. I hope Jay doesn't hold a grudge about the Cats moving down to avoid paying him as a #1 overall. Doubt it, but you never know if that and the combined years of losing make him want out deep down.

If Jay is traded there are still guys out there like Campbell, Liles & Redden that are top pairing defensemen. I think I'd obviously rather have Jay but all things considered we could survive losing Bouwmeester especially since the return should be high.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.