HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bring Back Jagr?

View Poll Results: ?
Yes 158 72.48%
No 15 6.88%
Depends - No if he gets 6M$++ 45 20.64%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-02-2008, 02:12 PM
danno2530

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
That Jerry Mcguire quote is great

The guy has just been playing out of his mind lately..I really, really want him back at this point. Maybe I didn't appreciate him as much as I should have, but he's really helped turn this organization around and I will always appreciate that.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

You should bring him back. I'd take him on the Devils

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 02:41 PM
NYReign

I haven't always been so high on Jagr, especially this year. But seeing him put the team on his back this week made up for all the lazy hooking calls that I was mad at him for. Yes yes yes we have to re-sign him for 6 even higher I don't care. He admitted he wasn't going all out in the regular season and seeing him this week I believe that. And he still led the team in points. He's done everything we wanted from him and I can't imagine what we'd do without him, at least until Cherepanov is ready to roll.

And for those who want to take the C away from him, watch the last two games again. That is a captain. That should not go to say that Drury or Shanny or whoever couldn't be a captain as well because I know they can but I don't know what else you could ask from your captain than what Jags gave us the last two games and hopefully quite a few more to come.

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Can anyone provide a list of the UFA's following the 2008-2009 season? Personally, Im not in love with any of the potential free agents this year, especially considering they're all be garnering longterm deals.

Jagr at 1 year, 7 million sounds good to me.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents.php It's sortable.

Jagr's individual success in this series really hasn't changed my mind about next year. I still don't see any chemistry between he and any of the team's long term center's, so despite the enormous investments made at the pivot, the team lives and dies with what he does on his own. It just seems counterproductive to hold onto Jagr in the post-Jagr era when the team should really continue the process of building a winner around Gomez, Drury and Lundqvist.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 02:47 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents.php It's sortable.

Jagr's individual success in this series really hasn't changed my mind about next year. I still don't see any chemistry between he and any of the team's long term center's, so despite the enormous investments made at the pivot, the team lives and dies with what he does on his own. It just seems counterproductive to hold onto Jagr in the post-Jagr era when the team should really continue the process of building a winner around Gomez, Drury and Lundqvist.
you don't see dubi as a long term center? I don't see Drury as a long term center, but definately Dubi.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
you don't see dubi as a long term center? I don't see Drury as a long term center, but definately Dubi.
I see them all as long term in that they will be here for several more years. At what point does the team look for wingers that actually have chemistry with these guys?

Old
05-02-2008, 03:14 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I see them all as long term in that they will be here for several more years. At what point does the team look for wingers that actually have chemistry with these guys?
I think that the Jagr-Dubi-Straks line has chemistry.

but to the point that this year is a very very weak FA class. You will overpay for players that aren't worth it, and there really isn't any standout wingers besides Hossa (who I would love to match w/ Gomez).

but If Ani is ready next season (a big if) maybe Drury can slide to wing w/ Gomez and that will help solve our problems a little.

I really think that we need to sign Straks and Jagr for 1 more season. Just to have some stability and keep this team in the playoffs and wait till next years FA class.

Old
05-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I think that the Jagr-Dubi-Straks line has chemistry.

but to the point that this year is a very very weak FA class. You will overpay for players that aren't worth it, and there really isn't any standout wingers besides Hossa (who I would love to match w/ Gomez).

but If Ani is ready next season (a big if) maybe Drury can slide to wing w/ Gomez and that will help solve our problems a little.

I really think that we need to sign Straks and Jagr for 1 more season. Just to have some stability and keep this team in the playoffs and wait till next years FA class.
The biggest problem the Rangers will need to address this offseason is their lack of size on the wings. Moving Drury to the wing certainly won't help that issue.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Jagr has to come back for one more season.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:39 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
The biggest problem the Rangers will need to address this offseason is their lack of size on the wings. Moving Drury to the wing certainly won't help that issue.
that's true. But who is really out there that you would really want. since the FA market is so thin and the cap is going to rise so much there is going to be alot of overpayments i think, and for too many years.

Old
05-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Fletch

I don't know...

about bringing back Jagr. I think the team would've been a fair amount worse-off without Jagr on the team this past season, but he said it himself - he can't play at a high level for 82 games and still have something left for the playoffs. In other words, he's saying he'll need to dog it for stretches of the season and next year could be worse than this year.

But I'm torn. Never been a Jagr fan, but still feel there's a big dependence on him and I'm not sure others currently in the organization will be able to shoulder the load in his absence. Further, I'm not exactly sure who's out there to take up some time on the wing. If Jagr, Straka and Shanny are gone next season (and Avery's status is up in the air), Cally and Dawes become this team's top wingers. That's scary.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
that's true. But who is really out there that you would really want. since the FA market is so thin and the cap is going to rise so much there is going to be alot of overpayments i think, and for too many years.
I think that makes it even more imperative to re-sign Jagr. Maybe this sounds crazy, but the team should be willing to give Jagr as much as he wants if hes willing to stay in the NHL (and as long as its just for one year). With the cap rising, the Rangers should still have enough to re-sign Avery (who I would not go over 3 years, 10 million for), and possibly sign another winger with size and some scoring ability (dont ask me who, Ill have to inspect that UFA list).

A good chunk of salary would then clear in 2009, allowing the Rangers to make a run at what hopefully amounts to a better free agent class.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 04:11 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
I think that makes it even more imperative to re-sign Jagr. Maybe this sounds crazy, but the team should be willing to give Jagr as much as he wants if hes willing to stay in the NHL (and as long as its just for one year). With the cap rising, the Rangers should still have enough to re-sign Avery (who I would not go over 3 years, 10 million for), and possibly sign another winger with size and some scoring ability (dont ask me who, Ill have to inspect that UFA list).

A good chunk of salary would then clear in 2009, allowing the Rangers to make a run at what hopefully amounts to a better free agent class.
that's what i'm leaning towards as well. The Rangers find themselves in a very precarious situation. We have a mix of old (too old) and young (too young) w/ not really much in the middle, and a horrible FA crop besides Hossa that will command too much money for their services. IMO the young kids aren't ready to maintain the offense but the older players can't really maintain it at all.

For me we have 2 choices (talking forwards only).

1. Sign Jagr, Straka, Avery. And basically keep this team intact but add a Rook or two.

2. Sign Hossa, Avery and bring up like 3 kids (korp, Byers, Moore/Ani) and hope for the best.

I think the worst moves they could possibly make is to overpay in money and yearsfor Ryder, Rolston, Malone etc. They will set this Franchise backwards as we have plenty of kids coming up to play in the next couple years. We really need to find guys who want a 1yr (2 max) contracts. ala Jagr, Straka. Or another superstar (Hossa)

Old
05-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
... we have plenty of kids coming up to play in the next couple years. We really need to find guys who want a 1yr (2 max) contracts. ala Jagr, Straka. Or another superstar (Hossa)
But that assumes that those kids are the right fit too.

You overpay for a guy like Rolston IF Gomez says, "yes, I know Brian, we've played together in the past and I think he's a good linemate for me" Purely an example...

I also don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities that the Rangers make a trade to bring the right player here if they can't get their man via UFA or from within the organization. Not all of these assets can take the ice for NYR. If they can return a player that the team is really missing, then you suck it up and part with someone you don't want to part with.

I just see a lot of room for improvement with this Ranger team, so it's tough for me advocate cloning it for next year.

Old
05-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Quote:
Drury sliding to wing is a terrible idea considering he's one of the best faceoff men in the league. Of course Drury is a long term center and he needs a playmaking winger. Btw, Anisimov needs to spend next season learning the wing position. Otherwise he might never crack the Rangers' lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr
EXACTLY. It's time to move on.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Fataldogg

YES. Anyone who votes NO should have their opinion stricken from the records. One year, $7 million, that sounds about right to me.

The problem with moving to the Gomez / Drury era is that it won't be a playoff era, not with just those two. If you have followed their career's, neither player has ever been the type of player to control and dominate games. Gomez did his best with the EGG line and that was when Gionta had a career year and ELIAS was the one controlling the play. We should know that much guys, we've seen plenty of the Devils.

The offense would become very shallow without Jaromir in the line up. This was one of Gomez's best seasons of his career and he had 70pts, this was with debate Jagr's worst season and he has 71pts (with plenty more goals than Gomez). Jagr at his worst is better than Gomez and Drury at their best. If we focused on playing our young kids like Dawes, Dubinsky, Staal, Girardi, Tyutin, w/ our elite players being Gomez and Drury under Renny's system and you have a team thats in an awful amount of trouble.

Those two are still role players. Drury is the leader who can put up 25 - 30 goals (when he's not on the SUPER SABRES), win important face offs, block a few shots, grind it out in front of the net, and do great on the penalty kill while scoring an important critical goal. Gomez is the puck carrier who can skate right through the zone and usually feed the puck well to another player BUT the guy is a playmaker with absolutely no scoring touch, couldn't hit 20 goals this year and has only hit 20 goals once in eight years! (33 goals in 05-06).

Jagr is the dominant, marquee player, who draws the other teams top defenders, leaves other players open on the team, can put pucks in the net and dish out the puck just as easily as he can put it in, and take the game into his own hand. Gomez and Drury can't do that. We'd be in a lot of trouble without this guy. I don't think Rolston or a Ryder kind of player could even manage to fill a tenth of Jagr's shoes.

On another note people have to realize that Gomez had one of his best seasons when playing against the other teams second pair of defense.

We need Jagr, a BIG YES from me. Anyone else is blind in my eyes. Unless you want to miss the Playoffs in 08-09.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
On another note people have to realize that Gomez had one of his best seasons when playing against the other teams second pair of defense.
Gomez had more than 50 assists playing with wingers who could hardly score this year and that includes plenty of time with Jagr.

See, I can make broad sweeping statements to paint the picture the way I want it too. Doesn't make it any closer to the truth.

Would I expect the Rangers to take a step back without a major replacement for Jagr? Yes, I do. Do I expect them to miss the playoffs? No, I don't. Do I think it'd make them a better team in the long run? Again yes, I do.

"The offense would become very shallow without Jagr"

I think there's an argument to be made here that Jagr's mere presence made the Rangers' offense pretty terrible this season. I firmly believe that his presence for most of the season is the main reason why our powerplay was so bad.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
To those saying no to Jagr, we already know what he brings to the table, and the off year aside, he's on a mission leading the playoffs in scoring to this point.

We can let him go and bring Hossa (Marain, not Marcel), or Rolston, but then we don't know really how they would mesh with the team. Maybe it works brilliantly, maybe it's a total bust.

Personally I'm more in favor of Rolston than Hossa, but either way, Jagr is a proven success in NY and so long as he wants to play here, I think we want him back.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 12:54 AM
Fataldogg

Gomez played with Shanny, Jagr, Dubinsky, Drury, Avery etc; this year. He was bopped all over the place. The excuse that he didn't have any wingers isn't a real valid excuse. Not everyone center's for a Kovalchuk or Ovechkin. Secondly, most of Gomez's points and assists came on the powerplay with feeds to Shanny (one of those wingers I'm assuming you think can't finish). I think its great that he could get him the puck. I'm not taking anything away from the guy, think he's a fine center and a real solid playmaker. I'll pass on not making the playoffs next year though. On a side note, managing 50 assists against second rate defense is not a feat for any first line or premiere center in the NHL, never the less one getting paid $10 million dollars, you'd expect AT LEAST 50 assists when signing a premiere centerman, which is the role the Rangers picked him for. Believe me, Gomez would have a much harder time putting up points and setting up players if he always had to go up against the top pair or if two players constantly shadowed him. I don't care about all of our prospects or five years from now, I'd trade that all up for a Cup this year or a Cup next year.

I think with Jagr in the line up, with Gomez (legit playoff player, been around the block), Drury (clutch playoff player, one of the best faceoff men in the game), and role players like Callahan, Dawes, etc; and with the growth of Dubinsky, Staal that in 08-09 we can be a real cup contender if we can get a premiere d-man in the off season. With Lundqvist in net sky's the limit. 08-09 could be our year, we have mostly all of the tools, just missing that QB on the point. Can't wait to see Staal next year on D too. He and ???? can make a really good top pair.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 01:07 AM
PhlipDowt

Bring Jagr BACK...no doubt in my mind. at this point, i can't see the Rangers not wanting him. I cant see him not wanting to come back either. He has to be feeling the love these last couple of weeks and i think he wants to feel like he is wanted here. if the Rangers even make the playoffs next year without him...how could you not want him on your team at that point? he could be the difference...the driving force. Sather know this.

PhlipDowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 01:30 AM
cheifshockey23

yes bring him 2 more years 5.5 a year and have an option for a 3rd year . definetly have him retire as a ranger, he has to come back to get his 1600 piont hes at 1599 now hes gotta come back. if he doesnt come back though would any like the idea of Fedor Tyutin bening a captain besides jagr hes been on the team the longest and hes home grown talent . whats your guys opinion on that.

BTW someone should make a new Jagr avatar with jerry mcguire twist , have jagr saying show me the money

cheifshockey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 02:37 AM
eco's bones

No doubt in my mind that even with a subpar season Jagr helped Dubinsky emerge. I would give Jaromir $8 mil or so--two years max because to me the Rangers Gomez/Drury transition is not enough. Signing Jagr buys them time to bring another real scoring threat (for instance Kovalchuk or Eric Staal) when their free agency comes around. The Rangers have another problem--size on the wings that will only worsen if Jagr walks. He is still a legit force and teams still center their efforts at stopping our offense around stopping him. Another thing is as currently constructed our team has 3 lines that can score--which needs to be maintained if we're going to keep on making the playoffs. There is not a better option out there currently for us.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 02:45 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheifshockey23 View Post
yes bring him 2 more years 5.5 a year and have an option for a 3rd year . definetly have him retire as a ranger, he has to come back to get his 1600 piont hes at 1599 now hes gotta come back. if he doesnt come back though would any like the idea of Fedor Tyutin bening a captain besides jagr hes been on the team the longest and hes home grown talent . whats your guys opinion on that.

BTW someone should make a new Jagr avatar with jerry mcguire twist , have jagr saying show me the money
I can't see Jagr wanting a multi year deal. If he has thought seriously about retirement from the NHL then he should go (sad as that will be). evry proffesional sports-person I've heard says that once you start thinking seriosuly about retirement it's time to go.

As for Toots as the nect captain, I think there are better candidates currently on the roster with my first choice being Drury

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 05:49 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeSS View Post
the rangers are gonna do what ever it takes to resign jagr... he puts people in the stands..... he's got a lot left... he is still a big threat
Jagr puts people on the stands?You and me playing for the Rangers would put people in the stands.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 05:50 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Where is the poll taken a few months ago?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote