HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bring Back Jagr?

View Poll Results: ?
Yes 158 72.48%
No 15 6.88%
Depends - No if he gets 6M$++ 45 20.64%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-03-2008, 06:14 AM
BlueShirts702

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0rac3 View Post
Love to see Jagr stay but I'd also like to free up some cap. Jagr ia great leader, things will be different when he is not around. Drury will most likely get the C but no need to rush it.

Free up some cap and do exactly WHAT with it? Sign Hossa? To be honest, I prefer Jagr to Hossa, even at Jagrs age. Jagr has done nothing but play with heart and determination for the Rangers and I think he should start getting more props.

As to the poll question, even though I can't vote in it, my vote is HELL YES. If he goes, who replaces him? Sorry, I'm not into Jagr leaving.

Give Jagr a 3 year 16 million dollar deal, and let Cherepanov get at least one year on the team with Jags.

Just my opinion on it.

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:09 PM
BigE

Jagr is a big "if" on all fronts - who knows what you're going to get if you bring him back another year.

I voted no, but if he comes at a good price I'd rather see him for one year than Marion Hossa for five or another overpaid and overwhelmed player slotted on the first line.

So, really...I suppose its a maybe. I'll admit that I have been surprised with the character he's shown this playoffs and the leadership quality down the stretch (regardless of his scoring troubles). The way he's worked with Brandon Dubinsky is captain-like.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Nich

i say yes, but i do not think we bring back straka.....and if we bring shanny back too, he is a 3rd line player

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i say yes, but i do not think we bring back straka.....and if we bring shanny back too, he is a 3rd line player
I think Jagr and Straka is like a packaged deal, so that will probably determine what's up with Shanahan.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:17 AM
blandBob

Call me slow. Renney's defense-first mantra is not all that fun to someone like JJ, understandably considering his talents.
As a fan, it all depends on what you want to see.
If it might be another year of a somewhat interested superstar or that roster spot replaced by an extremely motivated but obviously less talented player, for me I'm doing some serious thinking, especially if you consider the $$

I'll be roasted, but I don't worship at the JJ altar. It may be the way it works, it may be pragmatic to keep it all in reserve for the playoffs. As far as I'm concerned, do that somewhere else JJ, cause I think it stinks.

As I mentioned, I guess it is very much in the eye of the beholder and what you want to see.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 01:37 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I can't believe only 11 people said no and half of them are Devils fans.

I thought there would be more objectivity on this board.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 01:43 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
It's easy to let emotion take over here and vote with your heart. I said no.

I don't really know how much more (if any) you're going to get from him next season. But you do know he's going to make a pretty decent salary and have a greater cap hit than he did last season.

Take a look at what you are likely to get from him. Take a look at what it will probably take to re-sign him. Does it make sense? I don't think so.

05-12-2008, 01:47 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It's easy to let emotion take over here and vote with your heart. I said no.

I don't really know how much more (if any) you're going to get from him next season. But you do know he's going to make a pretty decent salary and have a greater cap hit than he did last season.

Take a look at what you are likely to get from him. Take a look at what it will probably take to re-sign him. Does it make sense? I don't think so.
It doesnt make sense at all... If its a 2-year deal forget it. Thats not going to be good for the Rangers long term. I find no sense in that.

Have some foresight and see that not only would it be cost ineffective but a detriment to the direction this team wants to head in with the players you have down the middle.

Build around them now, please dont wait. Theres a perfect opportunity now by shedding some big contracts to get some younger veterans in here, and im not talking about Hossa.

Old
05-12-2008, 01:55 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
It doesnt make sense at all... If its a 2-year deal forget it. Thats not going to be good for the Rangers long term. I find no sense in that.

Have some foresight and see that not only would it be cost ineffective but a detriment to the direction this team wants to head in with the players you have down the middle.

Build around them now, please dont wait. Theres a perfect opportunity now by shedding some big contracts to get some younger veterans in here, and im not talking about Hossa.
i cant speak for everyone however i think jagr can be used as a bridge for the next couple of years....there really arent any top-end FA's out there this year....malone, huselius, ryder, rolston.....those arent first line talents.....those are nice complimentary players, but not high-end talents......if jagr were to resign for 6 million a year for two years it would bridge the gap until some of the younger players can come into their own.....dubinsky, callahan, dawes, girardi, staal would all be in their third year.....there would be the opportunity to make some trades for a high-end talent to replace him and he is a beat on the puck....

i wouldve agreed with you about 3 weeks ago, however once i really started to look into the line-up for next year and losing all 1st and 2nd line wingers would be HORRIBLE.....there is no way players like callahan, sjostrom are top two line talent....and there is no way the rangers can sign rolston, ryder and malone......that would be a horrible decision......

like i stated before jagr would be a bridge, he is the captain for a reason and he still puts up points and he is finally getting comfortable with his center......it would allow for three scoring lines again for two more years and allow the younger players to start out as complimentary players and learn how to become more.....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Im pretty curious to see who you're referring to with this statement. You have to be referring to top 6 talent obviously, but who would be willing to accept a 1-2 year deal like Jagr?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Taz

I would love him back no question, 2 years 5.5-6m per season, give him another year with dubinsky then Cherry

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 02:26 PM
94now

Money is not the issue. Only cap hit is. We can do same thing we did with Kasparitis, if we have to. I.e. let him play in Omsk being on our payroll with no cap hit. Having Cherepanov as current Avangard property makes it easier for the Rangers in some respect, if you think about it...

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 02:44 PM
McRanger

Quote:

I really do not see your logic. You want to bring in "younger veterans" but you want to shed "big contracts". But not Hossa. Who exactly are you talking about? Anyone coming in via UFA is going to want big money and a lot of years. Anyone coming via trade is going to cost assets, and still might command an extension with big money and big years. Jagr will certainly want big money, but he won't sign more than a 2 year deal. Since you can be sure the Rangers will be near the cap, who is getting the money that we wouldn't be giving to Jagr? We do not have anyone that will be getting a big money extension, and most of the veterans will walk. If we do not sell the farm on a young superstar (which we wont) and we do not sign Hossa or another UFA (which we probably wont) does it make sense to let Jagr walk and leave all that cap space just so we can have it? Or is this simply about "team direction"?

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 02:56 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im pretty curious to see who you're referring to with this statement. You have to be referring to top 6 talent obviously, but who would be willing to accept a 1-2 year deal like Jagr?
I could list all the names and possible trades but i dont have time.

They need more size on the wing. They need a scoring threat to go along with Gomez. I know its easy to say that without giving actual names and senarios, but the truth is we dont know whos exactly available out there for trades.

If it means trading guys like prucha, tyutin or even cherpanov (who im not impressed with, but that my opinion, i know most would disagree) then you do it for the right player.

Like i said, its up to Sather and the staff to get creative and find a good balance, while not killing the current team and prospect pool. THey have the chips to get a very good player while not overpaying in the market. Breaking the bank for Hossa or resigning Jagr isnt the answer IMO. Then a 2-4 year deal might be ok for that guy.

I just think that Jagr is a patch, and easy way to move onto the next season. I think that every year past this one, Jagr is just holding a spot for someone else. Yeah, hes good, yeah might have good numbers next season, but i think you have to cut ties with him and Straka to get started on club that centers around Gomez and Drury, Lundqvist and Stall... and not waste anytime doing it.

Someone said is it more about direction... i'd say yes its more about that then the actual names coming in.

Either way the Rangers could be taking a step back next year, looking at how things are breaking down.

Old
05-12-2008, 03:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I think this is an offseason where Sather needs to get creative and address holes via trade.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I think this is an offseason where Sather needs to get creative and address holes via trade.
What, the Adam Hall deal two years ago didnt WOW you ?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 03:11 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
This is exactly how i feel, which is why i feel like resigning Jagr is the "easy way out"

My worry is that Sather is not capable of being creative and going out of his comfort zone.

Everyone is talking about FA's... you cant do that every year, especially after you went crazy the year before.

Listen, they'll probably sign Jagr anyway, but i think the Rangers can be even better and start formulating a better future for themselves now rather than "bridging" a year, even if its at the expense of maybe an ok season.

Old
05-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Two guys I'd love to see Sather look at via trade are Perry and Suter. Or even offer sheets if it comes to that.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 03:16 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Hey heres an idea.

Sign Jagr and then trade him.

Old
05-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
This is exactly how i feel, which is why i feel like resigning Jagr is the "easy way out"

My worry is that Sather is not capable of being creative and going out of his comfort zone.

Everyone is talking about FA's... you cant do that every year, especially after you went crazy the year before.

Listen, they'll probably sign Jagr anyway, but i think the Rangers can be even better and start formulating a better future for themselves now rather than "bridging" a year, even if its at the expense of maybe an ok season.
I have a question. What team in their right minds would be willing to trade a top 6 power forward capable of approaching Jagr's production for your proposed package including Prucha (couldnt even crack the lineup the last half of the season), Tyutin (a 2nd pair defenseman), and/or Cherepanov (an enigma with no NHL experience and contract/work ethic issues)??? I think we both agree that outside of Hossa, who will break the bank with someone, the UFA market is pretty thin. If you want Sather to explore the trade market then thats fine, but its not a matter of him "getting creative"...Its a matter of other GMs not willing to deal a young power forward (capable of producing at nearly a PPG clip) for our leftovers.

Old
05-12-2008, 03:37 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
I have a question. What team in their right minds would be willing to trade a top 6 power forward capable of approaching Jagr's production for your proposed package including Prucha (couldnt even crack the lineup the last half of the season), Tyutin (a 2nd pair defenseman), and/or Cherepanov (an enigma with no NHL experience and contract/work ethic issues)??? I think we both agree that outside of Hossa, who will break the bank with someone, the UFA market is pretty thin. If you want Sather to explore the trade market then thats fine, but its not a matter of him "getting creative"...Its a matter of other GMs not willing to deal a young power forward (capable of producing at nearly a PPG clip) for our leftovers.
True, there might not be an exact answer...through trades and or FA... and I was just throwing out those names to suggest there are pieces that can be moved. Hell, if someone wanted Callahan or Dawes for the right guy then do it. I understand what you are saying, and thats why its so difficult to defend my argument, i'll admit that.

But for whatever its worth, i think its going to cost the Rangers to resign Jagr and possibly for 2 years and i'd rather get 2 solid players that equal his production than just one on the market or Jagr himself.. Sather might have to find a diamond in the rough here to work with Gomez, thats what i mean with creative. We might have to settle for a lesser name. But im willing to take that chance if it means not bringing back Jagr and Straka. I think its time to move on.

All of you have legit points and i'm admitting its not an easy argument for me to hold - i'm not trying to be the trendy guy either by not resigning Jagr. I just feel people will regret this signing in a year or two, even if its at the expense of next season.

Old
05-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
True, there might not be an exact answer...through trades and or FA... and I was just throwing out those names to suggest there are pieces that can be moved. Hell, if someone wanted Callahan or Dawes for the right guy then do it. I understand what you are saying, and thats why its so difficult to defend my argument, i'll admit that.

But for whatever its worth, i think its going to cost the Rangers to resign Jagr and possibly for 2 years and i'd rather get 2 solid players that equal his production than just one on the market or Jagr himself.. Sather might have to find a diamond in the rough here to work with Gomez, thats what i mean with creative. We might have to settle for a lesser name. But im willing to take that chance if it means not bringing back Jagr and Straka. I think its time to move on.

All of you have legit points and i'm admitting its not an easy argument for me to hold - i'm not trying to be the trendy guy either by not resigning Jagr. I just feel people will regret this signing in a year or two, even if its at the expense of next season.
If Jagr demands 2 years, then Im in the same boat...thanks for the memories buddy, but time to move on. However, if he wants just one year, I think it would be in the Ranger's best interests to give him whatever he wants money wise. From that point, Sather's biggest challenge would be finding someone that can play with Gomez (dont ask me who...finding a sniper, preferably with size, is no easy task...especially when he probably would have to come on the cheap).

Old
05-12-2008, 03:54 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
If Jagr demands 2 years, then Im in the same boat...thanks for the memories buddy, but time to move on. However, if he wants just one year, I think it would be in the Ranger's best interests to give him whatever he wants money wise. From that point, Sather's biggest challenge would be finding someone that can play with Gomez (dont ask me who...finding a sniper, preferably with size, is no easy task...especially when he probably would have to come on the cheap).
These two thing inherently contradict each other.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
These two thing inherently contradict each other.
How so? What Im saying is, unless you want to break the bank for Hossa in terms of money and years, and stick him with Gomez for the longterm, the alternate for this season is finding someone else on the cheap that can do it regardless of Jagr's status. Noone else on the market is considered elite, and you'd be very lucky to get point per game production out of any other options (Malone, Ryder, Rolston, etc).

Admittedly, Im not sure what the UFA market looks like in 2009, but I think right now the best thing to do would be to overload a 1 year contract for Jagr knowing that all that money will come off the books the following season.

Old
05-12-2008, 04:01 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
How so? What Im saying is, unless you want to break the bank for Hossa in terms of money and years, and stick him with Gomez for the longterm, the alternate for this season is finding someone else on the cheap that can do it regardless of Jagr's status. Noone else on the market is considered elite, and you'd be very lucky to get point per game production out of any other options (Malone, Ryder, Rolston, etc).
Thats why you have to get "creative" in the trade market...