HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Shanny is a 3rd Line Player

Old
10-10-2007, 11:39 PM
TomLaidlaw

vCash: 500
Shanny is a 3rd Line Player

Before someone wastes their time by replying to this with the now fashionable response of "its only 3 games" or "its early don't panic" response. This isn't something that in my mind is gonna remedy itself like the other problems this team has. Our inept Power Play and inability to handle passes cleanly are problems that hopefully will be resolved as we play more games. Shanny playing on the 2nd line is something I don't think will fix itself.

Since Shanny suffered the concussion last year he has been a shell of his former self. I know he had a decent series against Atlanta but 3 good games in the past 8 months isn't a proper indication of someones ability. Lets acknowledge what we know about Shanny. He is a great leader, has tons of guts, doesn't back down from anyone, and is a Hall Of Fame player that the young guys look up to. I like Shanny as a player always have but I think we are seeing the 1998-2005 NY Ranger philosophy with how this coaching staff is handling him. He is being given icetime because of what he "already" accomplished, not what he is "currently" capable of. The guy is a step slower than everyone else on the team outside of Colton Orr. Is it possible that all the years of playing the bruising power forward position have finally taken a toll on his legs? Whatever the reason is, present day Shanny doesn't belong on our #2 line. There are 4 wingers who are simply BETTER than him at this point in his career, Prucha, Cally, Jagr, and Straka.

So what do we do? Do we do what we did with Messier and give him icetime he doesn't deserve because of what he use to be. Or perhaps we do what we did with Holik and play him somewhere he doesn't belong based on how much money he makes? I'd like to think we have learned from past mistakes.

Lines I'd like to see:

1st Line: Straka-Drury-Jagr
2nd Line: Prucha-Gomez-Callahan

3rd Line: Shanny-Dubinsky-Hossa
4th Line: Orr-Betts-Hollweg

(Drury and Gomez could be interchangeable depending on who they mesh best with)

My gut tells me we are gonna see Messier Part II with Shanny this year. An aging vet who gets icetime over younger more deserving players because of his past accomplishments.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 11:41 PM
broadwayblue

Shanny is no more a 3rd line player than Avery is. Right now I've seen most of the team playing well below their abilities.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 11:45 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Shanny is no more a 3rd line player than Avery is. Right now I've seen most of the team playing well below their abilities.

I disagree. I think Cally and Prucha have been two of our best players consistently since last years Buffalo series. Why not reward their play by playing them alongside a capable center like Gomez?

Old
10-10-2007, 11:49 PM
mike14

I tend to agree. the only reason I had no problem bringing Shanny back was because I thought that he'd sign a good deal for the Rangers. He is not a $5mil player at this stage of his career (unfortunately). I know he brings "intangibles" etc but I think it's money and roster spot that could have been better used

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 11:53 PM
TheRedressor

I was thinking the same thing watching him play tonight.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Agreed, Gomez needs Straka more than Shanny.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 12:01 AM
rickyrod

I don't know if I'd put him on the third line, I like a little more umph from those guys. But he's really gotta get off the penalty kill. Especially in October. Renney just needs to do it, I don't care if he wants to be out there. He's just too old to keep doing it all season and still be of use in the playoffs, if we make it. Down the stretch it's all hands on deck, but not October.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 12:03 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
I don't know if I'd put him on the third line, I like a little more umph from those guys. But he's really gotta get off the penalty kill. Especially in October. Renney just needs to do it, I don't care if he wants to be out there. He's just too old to keep doing it all season and still be of use in the playoffs, if we make it. Down the stretch it's all hands on deck, but not October.
Agree 100%. For some reason our organization loves putting Hall of Famers on the tail end of their career on the PK. We did it with Messier and now we are doing it with Shanny. Same result, each one lacked the speed to properly pressure the point man.

Old
10-11-2007, 12:06 AM
Staalwart

I agree with Shanny being a third line player as well. Id like to see:
Prucha-Drury-Jagr
Straka-Gomez-Callahan
Hossa-Dubinsky-Shanny
Orr-Betts-Hollweg
The first line flat out knows how to put the puck in the net Jagr is Jagr, and the other two do the little things you need to do to score goals, working hard and go to the net.

The second line can flat out fly, with Gomez setting them up and the two wingers being guys that could actually keep up with Gomez, that line has serious potential.

I could see the third line working, with Hossa being strong on the boards and in front of the net and Shanny still has a wicked shot that he knows how to get to the net.

When Avery gets back he could fit well in Hossa's spot or on the fourth line depending on how everyone is playing and what role he is needed to fill.

Staalwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 12:11 AM
darrenturcotte#8

THANKS YOU!!! I said this in the offseason when he signed his $5.5 mill (with bonuses) contract. It was the most selfish thing I have ever seen out of a so called character guy. That contract will likely hurt us next year. I have always loved the way Shanny plays the game but he is 2 steps too slow and looked awful in the playoffs last year. THERE IS NO CHEMISTRY ON THIS TEAM AND I'M TIRED OF BEING TOLD ITS TOO EARLY. I suffered through this nonsense for way to long over the past 10 years. You can't buy chemistry. Dawes needs to be brought up as he earned his spot and deserves a chance. He and Gomez were great together.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Callahan has been outplaying him lately, they should definitely swap places but keep Shanny on PP obviously.

Carlos Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 12:38 AM
BlueshirtMSG

Prucha
05-06= 30/17/47
06-07= 22/18/40

Shanahan
05-06= 40/41/81
06-07= 29/33/62

Oh yeah buddy. Shanny sucks BIG time, lmfao.

What are you drinking? Prucha or Callahan over Shanny?

You state that maybe the NYR are giving him top line out of respect of sorts?

Open your eyes and look at the stats.

I guarantee you by the end of season Shanny will have more G/A/P then Prucha or Callahan.

BlueshirtMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 12:42 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtMSG View Post
Prucha
05-06= 30/17/47
06-07= 22/18/40

Shanahan
05-06= 40/41/81
06-07= 29/33/62

Oh yeah buddy. Shanny sucks BIG time, lmfao.

What are you drinking? Prucha or Callahan over Shanny?

You state that maybe the NYR are giving him top line out of respect of sorts?

Open your eyes and look at the stats.
Looks like someone needs reading comprehension lessons. Next time actually read the post before responding to it, it is actually quite an effective method. If you read my post you would have seen where I said " post concussion" Shanny looks like a shell of his former self and would have saved yourself some time arguing with yourself. Whats next are you gonna remind me that he fought Donald Brasheer or give me his stats from 1993?

Old
10-11-2007, 01:01 AM
BlueshirtMSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Looks like someone needs reading comprehension lessons. Next time actually read the post before responding to it, it is actually quite an effective method. If you read my post you would have seen where I said " post concussion" Shanny looks like a shell of his former self and would have saved yourself some time arguing with yourself. Whats next are you gonna remind me that he fought Donald Brasheer or give me his stats from 1993?
My point is basically your point is without merit. That's a better way of saying your point is stupid. Prucha/Callahan have proven nothing that says they deserve anything more than Shanny.

Furthermore, using your idiotic statement that Shanny has been a shell of his former self post-concussion, IT'S THE THIRD GAME! GET A GRIP ON YOURSELF AND BECOME A REAL FAN. If you were, you wouldn't be whining like a girl that Shanny deserves third line after 3 games.

Oh crap, Gomez has zero points and 9 shots after 3 WHOLE GAMES!!!!?????!!!! He MUST suck too! Bad trade! Get rid of him!

PUH-LEEASE.

BlueshirtMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 01:06 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
My point is basically your point is without merit. That's a better way of saying your point is stupid. Prucha/Callahan have proven nothing that says they deserve anything more than Shanny.

Furthermore, using your idiotic statement that Shanny has been a shell of his former self post-concussion, IT'S THE THIRD GAME! GET A GRIP ON YOURSELF AND BECOME A REAL FAN. If you were, you wouldn't be whining like a girl that Shanny deserves third line after 3 games.

Oh crap, Gomez has zero points and 9 shots after 3 WHOLE GAMES!!!!?????!!!! He MUST suck too! Bad trade! Get rid of him!

PUH-LEEASE.
Time to put on your pajamas and get ready for school tommorow.

Old
10-11-2007, 01:08 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:

PUH-LEEASE.
Just a heads up, we didn't trade for Gomez, but you probably knew that already since you are a REAL FAN.

Old
10-11-2007, 01:18 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I don't think Shanahan on the 3rd line solves anything.

I think Gomez is far too fast to play with Shanahan. Shanahan looks slow because he's playing with Gomez who is far too fast to be on that line. Gomez likes to go end to end with the puck, and Shanahan is not the kind of winger that benefits from having that kind of center. Gomez should be playing with Straka and Jagr, two guys who can motor up the ice. Jagr needs to start skating, and the double coverage will dissipate when Gomez is put on that line. Renney needs to take his head out of his ass and realize what he's doing.

Renney has completely mismanaged this team to this point.

What's Hossa doing on the top line? What the hell has Hossa ever done to warrant top-line minutes? Will Renney get it through his thick skull that he is not his brother, or will ever be even a shell of what Marian is? First, Dawes outplays Hossa in camp. Then when Avery gets injured, Hossa gets called right up to the top-line? I don't care if he's a tweener that fits nowhere else... WHERE THE HELL IS THE ACCOUNTABILITY THAT THIS MORON HAS BEEN PREACHING? That's a ****** precedent to set.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 01:23 AM
Bretzky*

No he isn't. If Gomez-Shanny pairing sticks, they will no doubt get it together eventually and Shanny will be scoring tons. He's got a one of a kind shot and a setup man like Gomez is perfect for him. We shall see.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 01:36 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
No he isn't. If Gomez-Shanny pairing sticks, they will no doubt get it together eventually and Shanny will be scoring tons. He's got a one of a kind shot and a setup man like Gomez is perfect for him. We shall see.

I hope your right.

Old
10-11-2007, 01:41 AM
viventi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Before someone wastes their time by replying to this with the now fashionable response of "its only 3 games" or "its early don't panic" response. This isn't something that in my mind is gonna remedy itself like the other problems this team has. Our inept Power Play and inability to handle passes cleanly are problems that hopefully will be resolved as we play more games. Shanny playing on the 2nd line is something I don't think will fix itself.

Since Shanny suffered the concussion last year he has been a shell of his former self. I know he had a decent series against Atlanta but 3 good games in the past 8 months isn't a proper indication of someones ability. Lets acknowledge what we know about Shanny. He is a great leader, has tons of guts, doesn't back down from anyone, and is a Hall Of Fame player that the young guys look up to. I like Shanny as a player always have but I think we are seeing the 1998-2005 NY Ranger philosophy with how this coaching staff is handling him. He is being given icetime because of what he "already" accomplished, not what he is "currently" capable of. The guy is a step slower than everyone else on the team outside of Colton Orr. Is it possible that all the years of playing the bruising power forward position have finally taken a toll on his legs? Whatever the reason is, present day Shanny doesn't belong on our #2 line. There are 4 wingers who are simply BETTER than him at this point in his career, Prucha, Cally, Jagr, and Straka.

So what do we do? Do we do what we did with Messier and give him icetime he doesn't deserve because of what he use to be. Or perhaps we do what we did with Holik and play him somewhere he doesn't belong based on how much money he makes? I'd like to think we have learned from past mistakes.

Lines I'd like to see:

1st Line: Straka-Drury-Jagr
2nd Line: Prucha-Gomez-Callahan

3rd Line: Shanny-Dubinsky-Hossa
4th Line: Orr-Betts-Hollweg

(Drury and Gomez could be interchangeable depending on who they mesh best with)

My gut tells me we are gonna see Messier Part II with Shanny this year. An aging vet who gets icetime over younger more deserving players because of his past accomplishments.

normally i would totally disagree with something like this, but i agree with you almost 100%, you make some pretty good points.

viventi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 01:44 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Would like to see this lineup asap.

Straka-Drury-Jagr
Dawes-Gomez-Callahan
Prucha-Dubinsky-Shanny
Hollweg-Betts-Hossa

Carlos Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 01:46 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by viventi View Post
normally i would totally disagree with something like this, but i agree with you almost 100%, you make some pretty good points.
It's rare, but happens from time to time.

Old
10-11-2007, 02:06 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister View Post
Prucha-Drury-Jagr
Straka-Gomez-Callahan
Hossa-Dubinsky-Shanny
Orr-Betts-Hollweg
As much as I was for the Shanny signing this off season, I was thinking of those exact same lines while i couldn't sleep after the game tonight... I would like to see that experiment for at least a few games....

the only two i might switch would be straka and prucha...

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 03:05 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
if it helps the team then SHanny can play there. if it doesnt then he shouldnt. im all for lines that help make us win. right now having Dubinsky play 3 mins/night and Betts on the 3rd isnt helping...

we need to freshen the lines up and find good combinations.

If youthful legs like Cally and Dubi would help break out Shanny im all for it but i dont think its the answer....

Shanny is still a 25 goal scorer...

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 03:08 AM
Bretzky*

i'd rather see

Prucha Drury Jagr
Callahan Gomez Shanahan
Straka Betts Hossa
Orr Dubinsky Byers

Line1: Prucha and Drury are speed demons and are so good at hunting down pucks. Jagr will do his thing and has 2 finishers with him. I really think this is Prucha's year. I want to see him on the top line.

Line2: Callahan and Gomez are also speed demons. Gomez will carry into the zone on the rush with Cally to the side and Shanny a step or two behind coming down the slot. Gomez with 2 guys who like to shoot first and have great shots.

Line 3: Straka brings his speed and effort and doesn't have to be the "responsible" one on the line because Bettsy is the center. Hossa's work down low could lead to some chances for these two.

Line 4: Orr should be dressed for games against certain teams. You know which ones I'm talking about. Since Renney is trying this Betts on the 3rd, Dubinsky on the 4th experiment, I'd like to see another big body that Dubinsky would feel familiar with. Bring up Byers. He looked strong in pre-season. A good guy to have in the front of the net and can also bring energy. Which brings me to the energy-guy of the team: Hollweg. Hollweg makes Ortmeyer look like Bure. Ryan Hollweg has 0 offense. ZERO. I feel (and some may disagree) that Byers is capable of bringing just as much hitting, effort and energy. He scored a nice goal off a rebond in front of the net in pre-season. I think he should get another chance before mid-season. I really think on a championship caliber team, your 4th liners having just a LITTLE bit of an offensive touch might come in handy in the playoffs.

Last edited by Bretzky*: 10-11-2007 at 03:16 AM.
Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote