HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Early look at next season... (merged)

Old
05-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Lafontaine

vCash: 500
Early look at next season... (merged)

I know I should still be licking my wounds, but I can't help but shake the positivity that I derive from the fact that Montreal put forth a great season and probably still deserve to be playing tomorrow. I like our team and am hopeful only tinkering is done by Gainey this off-season.

Of course, if he could bring in a top player I would welcome it, but we all know how likely that often is in Montreal. So assuming they can't lure in a Hossa, this is what I think is a realistic look at off-season moves and next season's squad...

Gainey should assume we are going to make the play-offs again and bring in a proven veteran checker (even at the expense of a spot for a young player) - this essentially will replace Smolinski. I also think, from looking at the market, we could stand a chance of bringing in another top 4 Defenseman...

Higgins - Koivu - S. Kostitsyn
Kovalev - Plekanecs - A. Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Chipchura/Grabovski - (Nolan/Avery/etc?)
Kostopolous - Lappierre - Begin

(Dandenault - Chipchura/Grabovski - Stewart)

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - (Campbell/Norstrom/Redden/etc?)
Gorges - Bouillon

(Brisebois? - O'Bryne)

Price
(Halak)

I think that with another year of maturing, another solid presence at the back, and bit more depth/toughness for the 3rd/4th line, we could take another step forward next year.

Lafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
how much cap space will there be this off season?

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:12 PM
llamateizer

too early...

andrei kostistyn is my biggest fear.
i know its cool to play with your brother

but if someone offers you 4 millions and your near of your wife and your new kid... vs 1.5, 2 millions in the NHL?...

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
way to early for me to look at next year, let this years playoffs end first

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
too early...

but if someone offers you 4 millions and your near of your wife and your new kid... vs 1.5, 2 millions in the NHL?...
what are the rules regarding restricted free agents?

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Ross MacLochness

Just get a real 3rd line and we are in awesome shape for next year.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:15 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafontaine View Post
I know I should still be licking my wounds, but I can't help but shake the positivity that I derive from the fact that Montreal put forth a great season and probably still deserve to be playing tomorrow. I like our team and am hopeful only tinkering is done by Gainey this off-season.

Of course, if he could bring in a top player I would welcome it, but we all know how likely that often is in Montreal. So assuming they can't lure in a Hossa, this is what I think is a realistic look at off-season moves and next season's squad...

Gainey should assume we are going to make the play-offs again and bring in a proven veteran checker (even at the expense of a spot for a young player) - this essentially will replace Smolinski. I also think, from looking at the market, we could stand a chance of bringing in another top 4 Defenseman...

Higgins - Koivu - S. Kostitsyn
Kovalev - Plekanecs - A. Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Chipchura/Grabovski - (Nolan/Avery/etc?)
Kostopolous - Lappierre - Begin

(Dandenault - Chipchura/Grabovski - Stewart)

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - (Campbell/Norstrom/Redden/etc?)
Gorges - Bouillon

(Brisebois? - O'Bryne)

Price
(Halak)

I think that with another year of maturing, another solid presence at the back, and bit more depth/toughness for the 3rd/4th line, we could take another step forward next year.

Um...no. Montreal played like a bunch of girls and they fully deserve to be out. P

But next year is a new year and hope that they do some growing up in the off season..

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Passchendaele

Quote:
too early...

I'd expect him to sign a Dustin Brown-like contract.

nothing under 3 M per season.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Lafontaine

errr... a bunch of girls? Well, given the nature of our offensively talented team that isn't built around size and grit, if you're looking for bone-crushing caveman hockey you'd probably get more joy supporting another team.

Most of our boys gave what they could given their stature and style and I wasn't exactly seeing anyone back down at any point (maybe Pleks and Streit a little at first).

I really don't buy the idea we were playing scared and that we need to change our style, and the type of players we have on our top lines, in order to progress. Some strong-armed help for Begin, Max and Kostopolous on the lower lines would have been nice though.

Lafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:10 AM
OneSharpMarble

Cracking next years line up?

Ryan McDonagh, D (2)
Max Pacioretty, C (5)
Ryan O'Byrne, D (13)
Kyle Chipchura, C (4)
Ben Maxwell, C (6)
Mikhail Grabovski, C (11)
David Fischer, D (7)
P.K. Subban, D (14)
Yannick Weber, D (NR)
Mathieu Carle, D (18)
Matt D'Agostini, RW (17)
Alexei Yemelin, D (12)
Brock Trotter, C (NR)
Ryan White, C (16)
James Wyman, RW (NR)
Pavel Valentenko, D (15)
Andrew Conboy, LW (NR)

So who is going to be cracking our line up next year? I would go out on a limb and say we are going to need a couple forwards and a couple defencemen.

McDonagh And Pacioretty could probably make the jump. I'd like to see what Trotter could do and if we could get Yemelin over here that would be great. I think we are weakest at right wing so maybe D'Agostini. I don't know whether or not Grabovski will stay in North America. We sure do have alot of centres and very few wingers.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:12 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Id say lets wait and see if we manage to sign anyone, then we can go ahead and predict the roster

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:34 AM
DrMailloux

I think Bob has to finally do something and get us quality player for next year playoff. We need scoring depth, maybe a tough guy that can play hockey and someone that can kill penality... We gotta aim at guys that are proven playoff player... We need to fix the koivu line.

I also think that what cost us the serie is the philly coatching staff that really did an amazing job at analysing kovy's play, price weakness and how our powerplay work... They totally destroyed us with a freakin mediocre team... We got outcoatched by boston and philly... When the only thing your coatch can find to win is switching tie...

Alright Carbo did not make a terrible job, he's not that bad, we did great progress but during the playoff, we got outcoatched really bad... We gotta work on that next year, of course carbo, muller are rookie, they will learn. Price is a rookie, and it was very hard for him but im sure they will find a way to correct his technique and make him a more complete goalie. I also have to say i have no confidence in Halak, the guy may be a star in the AHL but if he can't do the job when we need him, he's useless... Maybe we could try to get Kolzig as a backup or someone cheap with experience to help price.

In other word, we gotta gear up for a longer playoff run next year and our coatching staff must be alot more prepared...

DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:51 AM
Gilles Tremblay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMailloux View Post

Alright Carbo did not make a terrible job, he's not that bad, we did great progress but during the playoff, we got outcoatched really bad... We gotta work on that next year, of course carbo, muller are rookie, they will learn.
Carbo looked genuinely shocked after Philly's 5 goal. It's understandable, but I would like a coach who is a little more removed from the team's emotional ups and downs. Despite his formidable NHL player experience, I'm not fully convinced he's proficient enough in either hockeys tactics OR athlete psychology to ever be an excellent coach.

I agree the ball is in Bob's camp now. I believe he needs to be as bold as he can for next year. If he plays his cards wrong, the Habs could return to mediocrity or middle-tier very rapidly.

I'm afraid goaltending will be an issue next year as well. I believe the coaching staff's priority will be to help Carey have fun at his game and bounce back and stay concentrated in the game after bad goals. He's 20 years old, and he needs a mentor in the room.

Gilles Tremblay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 02:22 AM
Melvin Udall

Early look at next season...

Next season will be interesting indeed.

In order to move forward, The Habs must be a better team 5 on 5!
The #1 reason we made the playoffs was our powerplay and largely, Kovalev made the pp work.

If our pp is only average next season, without major talent upgrade Habs will struggle to make the playoffs (mark my words)!

Habs 2 best players (Kovalev and Koivu) will be one year older and further away from their so-called "prime" years! Sadly, Habs have no replacements for them (in terms of skill level).

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 02:29 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Ryan McDonagh, D (2)
Max Pacioretty, C (5)
Ryan O'Byrne, D (13)
Kyle Chipchura, C (4)
Ben Maxwell, C (6)
David Fischer, D (7)
P.K. Subban, D (14)
Yannick Weber, D (NR)
Mathieu Carle, D (18)
Matt D'Agostini, RW (17)
Alexei Yemelin, D (12)
Brock Trotter, C (NR)
Ryan White, C (16)
James Wyman, RW (NR)
Pavel Valentenko, D (15)
Andrew Conboy, LW (NR)

So who is going to be cracking our line up next year? I would go out on a limb and say we are going to need a couple forwards and a couple defencemen.

McDonagh And Pacioretty could probably make the jump. I'd like to see what Trotter could do and if we could get Yemelin over here that would be great. I think we are weakest at right wing so maybe D'Agostini. I don't know whether or not Grabovski will stay in North America. We sure do have alot of centres and very few wingers.

Chipchura (should get a huge chance to be a regular next year, no?)
O'Byrne (should be our #6-7 next year)
D'Agostini (should/can get some 3rd line/4th line ice-time next year)
White (might be a BULLDOG, and...who knows? we might see him get a few stints with the CH? he might be another Mike Keane one day?!)
Grabovski (I have no idea what management plans for him?)
Carle (will he be ready within a year? or maybe needs more than a year? maybe 2 years away?)
Stewart (might get a few stints at 4th line next year? I liked his character from the little we've seen from him)
McDonagh (2 years away, I wouldn't want to rush him, should become a very solid top 4 d-man)
PK Subban (2 years away...? I can't wait to see him wear the CH!! I'm sure I'm not the only one )
Pacioretty (1 year away? don't rush him even if he's physically ready, 1 year or slightly more with the Bulldogs would be good for his development, I can't wait for this winner to wear the CH, he might be another Erik Cole)
Maxwell (would like to see him with the Bulldogs next year, for 1-2 years development, he may be another Vincent Damphousse...one day?!?!)
Fischer (2 years away?)
Valentenko (1 year away? or maybe we will see him get some #6 ice-time next year? too early?)

I love our depth, I love the talent that is not far away (especially Chips, Pacioretty, McDonagh, PK Subban, D'Agostini, and White...they all seem like winners).

We have a bright future

p.s.: Im pretty down with our CH being eliminated but gotta get over it somehow
This Carey Price is franchise material. He wasn't his best VS Philly but he has a GREAT future ahead of him. He will be young for another 5 years (and can do many wonderful things in the next 5, so imagine after that...very, very bright future, we're lucky we drafted him 5th overall ). Price will give us a legitimate shot to go far in the playoffs EVERY season, imo. He is the kind of goalie you see only every ten years or more...franchise material.
Just wait till he is 100% confident ('cause the technique is there and will just get better and better). He is the only goalie I would want for our HABS' future.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 05-04-2008 at 02:49 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 02:30 AM
Garo

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I read that Andrei planned to bring his family in NA this summer.

Don't remember in which article though.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 03:06 AM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Um...no. Montreal played like a bunch of girls and they fully deserve to be out. P

But next year is a new year and hope that they do some growing up in the off season..
Based on boolean algebra are Canadian girls tougher than Euro girls?

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 03:17 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

As much as I want Breezer to retire (on a good note and so I can get some respect back as a poster, lol).. I think he will be back.

I expect to see;

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Bouillon - Gorges
Brisebois

I doubt they will use O'Byrne or Valentenko as the #7.. but they may.. we'll see. Carle isn't ready. Dandenault better not be back.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 03:24 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
As much as I want Breezer to retire (on a good note and so I can get some respect back as a poster, lol).. I think he will be back.

I expect to see;

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Bouillon - Gorges
Brisebois

I doubt they will use O'Byrne or Valentenko as the #7.. but they may.. we'll see. Carle isn't ready. Dandenault better not be back.
No offense, but I hope you are wrong.

If Breezer and Bouillon are on the Habs roster next season I doubt this team will make the playoffs -- you are welcome to quote me on that!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 03:29 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post
No offense, but I hope you are wrong.

If Breezer and Bouillon are on the Habs roster next season I doubt this team will make the playoffs -- you are welcome to quote me on that!
We were one of the final 7 teams this year with both of them on the team.

This makes no sense.

Though I hope I'm wrong too.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 03:42 AM
Form and Substance

Breaking down next season!

In response to Gilles Tremblay's concerns in the "year 4 of year 5" thread, I decided to take a look at our players for next season. Hopefully we can get a more holistic outlook for next season and see if we really can ice a contender next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles Tremblay View Post
Do you suppose there are other teams who will also be in their year 4 out of 5 next season?

It's been a great season, but centennial or not, Bob will need to make some excellent moves this off-season to keep on the same track and grow. It's not completely far off that the Habs could return to mediocrity or middle-tier next year.

Do you keep your goaltending duo intact next year? Do you move Halak to support Price with a veteran or you keep going with the two rookies?

Is Bob happy with Carbo's coaching? Somehow, I don't see Carbo in Montreal beyond 2010.

Will Kovy have another stellar year? His contract is up, so chances are good. But you can't rely on him for leadership.

Will Andrei be back?

So as we speak, the Centennial Habs are no sure thing. But it should be an exciting off-season!
I agree. Let's break it down to the components (i.e the players)

Kovalev--->>can he repeat the (regular) season he had? He's getting up there in age but I believe he still has a couple of really good years left in the tank. If he has another great season then count your lucky dollars that the team will also be succesful during the year (especially on the power play).

Koivu--->>By all accounts an off-year but his playoff performance was BEAST! He totally Kovaleved the playoffs! He's 33, it's not terribly old but management will soon have to look in at a replacement for him...Maxwell is at least 3-4 years away ( saddled with injury troubles). Koivu can top 65 points next year, he should bounce back. Next year may be the last season where we get a Koivu-Kovalev tandem at decent peak level of play, let's not waste this opportunity.

Higgins--->>Inconsistent, inconsistent, inconsistent. He really needs to learn to keep his intensity up during the playoffs. A terribly frustrating player to watch sometimes. All that said, he's still a player on the rise and can likely pot 30 goals next season barring injury. His upside may be more limited than we believed though.

Plekanec--->>Had a very strong regular season. Started very poorly in the playoffs but showed tenacity in the farewell match. Hopefully he's learned and improved.

Latendresse--->>Well he scored 16 goals. He's 20. He was sparingly used in the playoffs (oh why oh why did you not score at 4-4!!!!)
In all seriousness, his problems can no longer be simply attributed to lack of fitness. He needs to find the answer within. Hopefully having a kid during the summer can shed some perspective in his life, since his future in the NHL is nowhere near secured. But I hold out great hope for him.

A. Kostitsyn--->>Thank god that pick is somewhat vindicated. Next year should see his production explode. I can see him putting up close to ppg numbers (fingers crossed), he could break 40 as soon as next year. (After all he did score 5 goals in 12 games in the playoffs whilst displaying the intensity of an inanimate object).

S.Kostitsyn--->>The other major piece of the youth movement. I think he's firmly entrenched a spot in the top 6-9. He's very versatile. A lot of people will be expecting big things from him, I'm one of those people. I think he has it in him to record 100 pts. Maybe I'm being optimistic, maybe I'm a functional alcoholic, who's to say who's right and who's wrong? 55-60 points next season.

Smolinski--->>Gone. Thank you for your play down the stretch and in the first round but I'm glad you won't be impeding our chances to win during the other parts of the season. I'm glad you were there though.

Brisebois--->>Gone. Everyone hates you for your untimely turnovers and your russian roulette breakout passes (or is it outbreak pass?) but I'll remember your pride in donning the ch after you were run out of town, as well as the leadership and the heart you showed throughout the playoffs.

Kostopoulos--->>Good pickup by Gainey. I'm glad he's signed through next season, he makes for an excellent 4th liner who will do whatever it takes to win. I look forward to seeing him in action next year, I can't say he'll improve though. What you see is what you get. That's a saying that goes for all career 4th liners.

Begin--->>He takes penalties at the worst possible moments, but we shouldn't let that cloud our judgment of him. He's still an effective 4th liner who works hard and plays hard. Although I have reason to believe he'll be back next year, somehow I can see him being dealt soon.

Grabovsky
-->>I think he's done with us. I hope he can come back. He can be a decent stopgap until Maxwell or a true 1st line C comes along. Carbo should just let him fly a little and see what it yields.

Lapierre-->>Shows flashes of the **** disturber/pest every team needs. Too bad he has Kovalev's temperament and decides to show up half the time. For a 4th liner with 3rd liner upside, that's a no-no and can land him on the outs very soon. I still think there's tremendous potential in him however. Oh and learn to pass the freakin puck once in a while.

Markov--->>Well an up and down season and when I say up and down, I mean it started really well up until the all-star break, and then his play took a plunge and never truly recovered. As brilliant as he can be, he makes too many mistakes in key situations. Still an all-star defenseman, I'm harsh on him because I know he can take his play to the next level, almost touching Lidstrom esque levels of steadiness. Yes I said Lidstrom!

Streit---->>> Well a lot of people are ready to cut him loose after a sad playoffs to put it mildly. He's a fairly unique player in that he doesn't particularly fill any need but fills every use. I want us to re-sign him but at what cost? He's like the defenseman version of Gerber.

Hamrlik--->>Besides the first couple of games against Boston, his play took a dip afterwards. It doesn't mean he was ineffective or bad, just not as steady as his usual self. He's getting old, if he repeats his performance next year, then I'll be happy. Otherwise, Gorges has a serious learning curve ahead of him.

Gorges--->>Mr. unsung hero. Hard to believe he's only 23 the way people sometimes treat him. He can make for a fabulous bottom pairing guy or a decent #4. I think he's effectively replaced Rivet even though he doesn't have the same physical stature. He is more gifted in the transition play however and that should suit us fine.

Bouillon--->>ehh Frankie boy. Overpaid and pencil like height, he's a bull and can take on almost anyone physically. I'm never EVER secure with him in the dying seconds of a game but when he plays well he's very useful. He'll probably be back next year and we have to expect the same from him. Hopefully Carbs knows how to limit his minutes.

Ryder--->> Ouch. Can't see him re-signing here. It's a shame, I really enjoy watching him when he works hard and scores goals. I'm also going to miss that awe-shucks Newfie attitude he brought to the team.

Komisarek--->>The injury MUST have bothered him in the playoffs because that wasn't the same Komisarek we saw during the year. He was shaky and made some questionable plays in his own zone. I can't see him making the 6mil he's purported to make if he can't bring his level of in the playoffs. Still, a KEY component of our defense and one that can accede to Rod Langway levels of steady.

O'Byrne--->>Is it just me or is he the least intimidating 6'5 guy ever? I swear if I'd never known he was 6'5 230 lbs I would just assume he was a player of average build the way he plays. That being said he's young and will improve. He's a pretty good skater too. I'm happy with his play so far given the context.

Price-->>Well mr.savior didn't come through against Philly. He's still the best goalie prospect in the world. He'll start in at least 55 games next year where he'll be exposed to different levels of pressure. I think he's got most of the youthful jinks out of the way. I expect a Dipietro like season next year. In other words, a very good year. A lot of people are praising him for his calmness, while this is true, it seems he'll let in 1-2 REALLY weak goals just after letting in a crucial one. This happened time and time again in the playoffs. He needs to compose faster.

Halak-->> ah mr. forgotten and mistreated, he's in a serious bind at the moment. If we didn't have Price, he'd be in his shoes living the dream. Some serious untapped potential in this kid and we expect him to thrive in a situation that completely stunts his growth as a goalie. Hopefully, he doesn't go to Europe and gets some playing time (20-25 games), then goes to a team where he can be the true #1 (by which point Price can comfortably play 65-70 games)

Prospects to look forward to next year:

Chipchura-->>Will make the team for good this time and handily take Smolinksi's spot.
Pacioretty-->>Will Gainey sign him in the summer?
G.Stewart-->>Was tremendous in his first game, can he replace Steve Begin?
Valentenko-->>like a bigger Kasparaitis?
D'Agostini-->>A replacement for Ryder?

Well there ya have it boys, feel free to comment on the write-up. I expect Gainey to make some moves but overall, the team we saw this year will be the team we see next year. And I for one, am PUMPED!

Last edited by Form and Substance: 05-04-2008 at 03:56 AM.
Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:37 AM
ed ible*

I want Emelin

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:45 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Ryan McDonagh, D (2)
Max Pacioretty, C (5)
Ryan O'Byrne, D (13)
Kyle Chipchura, C (4)
Ben Maxwell, C (6)
David Fischer, D (7)
P.K. Subban, D (14)
Yannick Weber, D (NR)
Mathieu Carle, D (18)
Matt D'Agostini, RW (17)
Alexei Yemelin, D (12)
Brock Trotter, C (NR)
Ryan White, C (16)
James Wyman, RW (NR)
Pavel Valentenko, D (15)
Andrew Conboy, LW (NR)

From what I've heard, I don't expect McDonagh to be close to making the team next year. If Pacioretty adapts to the AHL like Sergei did this past year, then he could see some time in Montreal.

Trotter won't make the Habs next year IMO. He has good pace but really needs to work on building up his upper body, lower body, outer body, inner body, full body and any and everybody strength. He has some nice skills, but he needs to put them to use regularly in the AHL and work at diminishing some of his weaknesses. There is the chance he could make the NHL some day, he is still young. But I'd be very surprised if 'some day' turns out to be next season. Unless we are ravaged by injuries, but even then I'm not sure.

I have no idea about Emelin, not seen him play much at all. Not even sure he'll come over. Be interesting to see if we can make anything happen there.

D'Agostini should see some more time with the Habs next year, but I have an alternate solution to RW help. Sign/trade for another scoring LW'er and use Andrei Kostitsyn where he will do the most damage to the other team.

No idea what Grabs will do, but if he is willing to fight for a place, I think Gainey would offer him a contract. Scoring centres is not a place of depth for us, Grabovski gives a little bit of that. He has made the odd mistake in his time in North America, but he has worked hard and paid his dues so far. He can play at the NHL level, Gainey likes his depth, Grabs always wanted to play for the Habs, so there is clearly room there for the two sides to meet and sign a deal. Maybe only a one year thing if Mikhail doesn't want to tie himself into a situation where he could be stuck not getting games for too long. I'd like to see him come back, we haven't seen the best of him in the NHL yet.

Valentenko will almost certainly see some time with the Habs next year, unless he suffers a dramatic regression from last year. There is an outside chance of him making the team at camp. If he gets in great shape and picks his game up a notch from this season through camp, he could force Gainey's hand a little. The kid has just about everything you need to succeed: size, skating, loves the physical going, can pass well, can shoot well, can make great defensive plays (and great isn't an overstatement when he is on) and he is a Habs fan. A little more development/experience in the AHL won't hurt him, but if he works hard enough, he could force the issue of where he plays next year from camp onwards IMO.

Carle is a bit further behind Tank IMO. He has some very impressive offensive skills, dropped me from the edge of my seat a few times this year. Sadly, there were a number of times where he planted me firmly back into it with some of his plays in and around his own end. He ain't too far away for my liking. Give him a year, year and a half and I could see him making a run at a spot on the Habs, although by then we could have a rock solid D corps which could be difficult to crack. He has skills though and can work hard when he wants to. If he and Tank end up in Hamilton to start the year, I'd like to see how they do together on a defensive pairing. As long as Carle is willing to cover Tank's 'rushes' as much as Pavel will for him, they could be dynamite.

Stewart might end up a bit like Lappy in his first year (i think). Didn't Lappy do a bit of shuffling between the NHL and AHL? I think we could see something similar for Stewart next year, with him starting off in Hamilton.

Kyle and O'B will be with the Habs. I don't doubt that for a moment. Unless they get traded, they will be in Montreal all year next year.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:18 AM
SOLR

Full timers:

Chipchura(Smolinski's spot, was all in the plans)
Obyrne

Part time

Paccioretty(if he wants to)
D'Agostini
Valentenko
Stewart(from what Ive seen thus far, hes Kostopoulos's replacement in 2009-2010)

Coffee Cups
Maxwell(might surprise us all at camp, the kid is something special)
Carle

Wildcards

Grabovski(Depends of camp/ summer decision)
Emelin(Depends of summer decisions, but I don't think he will come, unless hes willing to pull a malkin, that would be out of character for him.)

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:30 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

I agree with the GREAT one Qui Gon Dave

I just wish emelin would come!

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote