HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

OHL Priority Draft 2008

Old
05-03-2008, 12:30 PM
HabLover

vCash: 500
OHL Priority Draft 2008

What are the scouting reports on these guys.......obviously we've heard McFarland is highly touted, what about some others??

1 Sudbury - John McFarland Jr. Canadiens RC 6.00 190 04/02/1992

2 Erie - Gregg McKegg Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs LC 6.00 185 06/17/1992

3 Owen Sound - Steven Shipley Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs LC 6.02 205 04/22/1992

4 Kingston - Erik Gudbranson Ottawa Jr 67's RD 6.03 190 01/07/1992

5 Peterborough - Ryan Spooner Ottawa Senators LC 5.09 160 01/30/1992

6 Barrie - Ryan O'Connor Jr. Canadiens RD 5.09 175 01/12/1992

7 Ottawa - Tyler Toffoli Jr. Canadiens RW 5.11 175 04/24/1992

8 St. Michael's - Devante Smith-Pelly Jr. Canadiens LC 5.10 175 06/14/1992

9 Plymouth - Tyler Seguin Toronto Young Nationals RC 5.11 165 01/31/1992
10 Saginaw - Brandon Saad Pittsburgh Hornets LW 6.01 195 10/27/1992

11 Sarnia - Gregg Sutch York Simcoe Express RW 6.01 185 02/09/1992

12 Guelph - Cody McNaughton Jr. Canadiens RW 5.09 165 10/16/1992

13 London - Christian Thomas Toronto Marlboros RW 5.09 145 05/26/1992

14 Niagara - Freddie Hamilton Toronto Marlboros RC 6.00 175 01/01/1992

15 Brampton - Sam Carrick Toronto Red Wings RC 6.00 165 02/04/1992

16 Oshawa - Kevin Bailie Quinte Red Devils G 6.03 185 01/03/1992

17 Windsor - Cam Fowler OHL Delete 00/00/1991

18 Soo Ste. Marie - Brock Beukeboom Central Wolves RD 6.01 195 04/01/1992

19 Belleville - Stephen Silas Halton Hurricanes LD 6.00 175 06/26/1992

20 Kitchener - Jeff Skinner Toronto Young Nationals RW 5.09 175 05/16/1992

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 01:14 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

One of the posters on the Kitchener Rangers board spends a lot of time preparing for the draft. He wrote a preview that includes highlights of most of the players from the first round.

http://www.rangersrush.com/Forum.html

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 01:45 PM
birddog*

4 of top 8 from Jr. Canadians....5 of top 12

10 of 20 1st rounders from GTHL

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 02:33 PM
HFNHL Canadiens

I wonder how Stumpys son does in London? Dare I say the next Sam Gagner? Time will only tell....

Also, if Windsor can convince Cam Fowler to go the Major Junior route they are going to have one stacked team in the future, cornerstones Taylor Hall, Ryan Ellis and Cam Fowler, not a bad trio to build a team around.

EDIT: I just realized that Kitchener picked Fowler last season, and that Windsors pick was probably voided, why would they waste a 1st rnd pick like that?

HFNHL Canadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 02:41 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalchuk View Post
I wonder how Stumpys son does in London? Dare I say the next Sam Gagner? Time will only tell....

Also, if Windsor can convince Cam Fowler to go the Major Junior route they are going to have one stacked team in the future, cornerstones Taylor Hall, Ryan Ellis and Cam Fowler, not a bad trio to build a team around.

EDIT: I just realized that Kitchener picked Fowler last season, and that Windsors pick was probably voided, why would they waste a 1st rnd pick like that?
Kitchener returned Fowler to the draft pool, and received a 2nd round pick as compensation.

While it's always possible Fowler may report to Windsor, if there was the slightest chance Kitchener could have convinced him to report, they wouldn't have given up his rights.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 02:41 PM
HFNHL Canadiens

Other interesting selections were the 2nd rnd picks of Zac Dalpe and John Carlson, I wonder if they are going to skip NCAA and go the OHL route?

Old
05-03-2008, 02:50 PM
HFNHL Canadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Kitchener returned Fowler to the draft pool, and received a 2nd round pick as compensation.

While it's always possible Fowler may report to Windsor, if there was the slightest chance Kitchener could have convinced him to report, they wouldn't have given up his rights.
Interesting, thanks, didn't know that. I think Fowler might be more inclined to go to Windsor as it borders Detroit and thats where he played minor hockey and I pressume he grew up around there aswell, so maybe he wants to play close to home, who knows?

Old
05-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Canuck71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalchuk View Post
Other interesting selections were the 2nd rnd picks of Zac Dalpe and John Carlson, I wonder if they are going to skip NCAA and go the OHL route?
Highly unlikely IMO. Carlson I cannot see coming to the OHL but I was unaware until today that Zac Dalpe is from Paris, Ontario which is just outside of Brantford. Who knows maybe he will report to Plymouth, but I doubt it.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 07:21 PM
sossprint93

If I'm not mistaken Fowler was actually born in Windsor and moved to the US at a young age and that is the reason he plays for the US.

sossprint93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 07:23 PM
JacksonGalaxy

Plymouth expects Dalpe to report. He's got ties to the area, and was a tryout two years ago after going undrafted in the OHL again (he was 5'4, 115 at the time).

The general consensus is he was talking to OHL teams about coming over last season, and Plymouth stepped up and snagged him in the draft. He's still committed to Ohio State, but he's having second thoughts. If OSU fires their head coach (which they're considering doing, but it looks like he'll stick around), Dalpe is gone. But it's not for sure that he'll stay even if the coach stays.

Plymouth also snagged Jon Merrill in the 3rd, probably one of the top 10 North American talents of his birth year. Part of a trend where teams were just taking good players because it seemed like all the best players were just going NCAA -- a lot of teams drafts (London especially) are just total home runs. They'll be lucky to get a couple guys to report but if they do they're getting first round talents. Merrill is committed to the US NTDP next year and Michigan in 2010, but Plymouth GM Mike Vellucci said he'll speak with Merrill this offseason and the next. He doesn't expect him this season but hopes they can snag him for the next. Merrill lives like 20 minutes away from Plymouth -- not that the 45 to Ann Arbor is that big of a deal. But if he was ever interested in the OHL, Plymouth would probably be the best place for him to be.

EDIT: Regarding Fowler, Kitchener released him and picked up the compensatory draft pick. They said he made his intentions clear and he won't play in the OHL. Windsor took the same route teams like London and Plymouth did and took a flyer on Fowler in the first, hoping they could convince him to report. It works for Windsor, they have a very solid core for next season and would not really benefit from taking a '92 that would commit. If they get Fowler, they'd just be dominant. Apparently, Taylor Hall has some kind of connection to Fowler that the Windsor brass is hoping might sway him.

JacksonGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:01 PM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
Highly unlikely IMO. Carlson I cannot see coming to the OHL but I was unaware until today that Zac Dalpe is from Paris, Ontario which is just outside of Brantford. Who knows maybe he will report to Plymouth, but I doubt it.
Never underestimate the Hunter's when it comes to players who have stated that their going the NCAA route. A lot of those players just end up playing for the Knights anyways.

In the last two seasons the Knights have had a fair share or players who either verbally committed to NCAA teams or played a season in college than left to join the Knights.

Patrick Kane
Sam Gagner
David Meckler
Kevin Montgomery
Philip McRae
Pat Maroon

I don't think the Hunters would have used a 2nd round pick on a guy who they weren't sure would play major junior. I think there's a good chance on seeing Carlson in a Knights uniform.

TJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:21 PM
SpItFiReZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebda View Post

EDIT: Regarding Fowler, Kitchener released him and picked up the compensatory draft pick. They said he made his intentions clear and he won't play in the OHL. Windsor took the same route teams like London and Plymouth did and took a flyer on Fowler in the first, hoping they could convince him to report. It works for Windsor, they have a very solid core for next season and would not really benefit from taking a '92 that would commit. If they get Fowler, they'd just be dominant. Apparently, Taylor Hall has some kind of connection to Fowler that the Windsor brass is hoping might sway him.
Rumour in Windsor is the fact that the Spits will be giving/willing to give a bunch of perks to Fowler. Also, even if he doesnt come next year....he may leave and come in his draft year

SpItFiReZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Leperus Leprechuan

Yea i can confirm that Fowler has told GM Rychel that Windsor is the only place he would consider playing for because he wants to stay close to home, they have a bright young team with a new state of the art arena etc. I really hope he commits, dare i say the 2010 draft would see spits going 1-2 overall.

Leperus Leprechuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:30 AM
eightyseven

Interesting. If Windsor can convince Fowler, Watson to join the team, they will be a stacked team. All they need is a better goalie (who is a decent goalie but not a #1 goalie) and they could make a run for the Memorial Cup sooner rather than later.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:31 AM
eightyseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpItFiReZ View Post
Rumour in Windsor is the fact that the Spits will be giving/willing to give a bunch of perks to Fowler. Also, even if he doesnt come next year....he may leave and come in his draft year
What kind of perks? I know they will offer him a full-ride scholarship, but what else?

Old
05-04-2008, 01:13 AM
SpItFiReZ

Not exactly sure but I know a couple friends of mine who recieved perks....usually upgrades in schooling, extra activities paid for, etc.

I would be absolutely estatic if Fowler and Watson showed....then pick up a tender.

SpItFiReZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:37 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
What kind of perks? I know they will offer him a full-ride scholarship, but what else?
The organization also own a car dealership Victory-Ford/Lincoln. Not saying the organization would hook the kid up with some wheels but it wouldn't suprise me if they did.

His father attended a local high school here I believe Riverside, he also graduated from the University of Windsor. Believe he got a job that took him to Montreal and later transferred to a job in Michigan. The family resides in Farmington Hills which is a 30-35 minute drive to Windsor. If his parents really wanted to see him play they could see all 34 of his home games, the 4 games they play in Plymouth, 3 games they play in Saginaw. In the end his family could see him play close to 40 games if he played a full sched. Doubtful of course because he's World Junior caliber for Team USA and since it's in Ottawa this year I bet the organization wouldn't hesitate to pay for his parents to stay in Ottawa and watch their son play. Not saying it's fair but if people believe all Kane and Gagner got was just a full-ride scholarship then you're kidding yourself and you probably believe in the Easter Bunny.

RayzorIsDull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:37 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
The organization also owns a car dealership Victory-Ford/Lincoln. Not saying the organization would hook the kid up with some wheels but it wouldn't suprise me if they did.

His father attended a local high school here I believe Riverside, he also graduated from the University of Windsor. Believe he got a job that took him to Montreal and later transferred to a job in Michigan. The family resides in Farmington Hills which is a 30-35 minute drive to Windsor. If his parents really wanted to see him play they could see all 34 of his home games, the 4 games they play in Plymouth, 3 games they play in Saginaw. In the end his family could see him play close to 40 games if he played a full sched. Doubtful of course because he's World Junior caliber for Team USA and since it's in Ottawa this year I bet the organization wouldn't hesitate to pay for his parents to stay in Ottawa and watch their son play. Not saying it's fair but if people believe all Kane and Gagner got was just a full-ride scholarship then you're kidding yourself and you probably believe in the Easter Bunny.

The 09 and 10 season for the Spitfires would be pretty huge for them if they got the likes of Watson, Fowler and Johns to report. Add in the rumors of Dale Mitchell coming over for 09 to satisfy the Neuvirth trade the team would be loaded.

RayzorIsDull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 02:50 PM
eightyseven

It sounds as if his family is really intent on him choosing the college route even though Windsor is nearby. After he was drafted again this year, this is what the newspaper online said:

Fowler has already made a verbal commitment to play college hockey at Notre Dame

“ Cam will be back with the under-18 team next season,” Perry Fowler, Cam’s father, said by telephone on Saturday.

Perry Fowler declined further comment, but it appears his son is keeping his eligibility options open for the future.
------
As for Gagner, his father was offered a coaching position, so that definitely helped him in bringing him here. I also know that Gagner and Kane were treated like royalty when they were on the London Knights. It was mentioned in "Future Greats and Heartbreaks" that ONLY they were offered a private plane (or maybe it was just a regular airpline flight, I'm not sure) instead of riding the bus back to one particular game, and I think this was during the playoffs. Kane was also promised a lot of ice time to convince him to sign, and was also brought to the games in 05-06, when the attendance was at an all-time high because of winning the Memorial Cup the year before. Kane also admitted that he dislikes school, and still had 1 year left (He only graduated in June 2007) so he wouldn't have to take post-secondary courses if he didn't want to. I thought it was a very easy decision for him but because he had no agent, the only discussion he had was probably between he, the GM, and his parents (who are unfamiliar with the OHL). Prior to him joining the London Knights, he wasn't even thought of as a top-10 pick so maybe he was even worried about his own abilities to make the NHL. Him & Gagner have said how surprised they were to make the NHL so quickly. I definitely don't think they got a car or anything because I'm sure it would have been leaked somewhere, but who knows...Oh and of course they could have gotten more allowance (Instead of just $300/month or w/e they get).

Old
05-04-2008, 03:03 PM
burythehatchet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
i'm from brantford and a couple of my friends know him, weird coincidence..

burythehatchet is offline   Reply With Quote