HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Canes defensemen inquiry and Stars/Jackets proposal:

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2004, 06:28 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

vCash: 500
Canes defensemen inquiry and Stars/Jackets proposal:

The Stars have been scouting the Canes for a few games now, and its been said that some of their defensemen have been the target. I thought of Brett Hedican as soon as I heard it, as the Stars were persuing him when he was an UFA in 2002 as well but chosed to sign Boucher instead (thank God). While not the exact type the Stars are looking for, he does bring some very interesting attributes to the game. In particular his skating and his pretty solid all-round game. He's not great defensively nor offensively, but seems like a reliable contributor at both ends when asked upon. Now I don't know much about his plans in Carolina and what Carolina wants to do with Brett, so excuse me if my proposal doesn't make any sense. But as widely known, the Stars biggest trade assets are their netminding prospects. One of Jason Bacashihua, Tobias Stephan, Dan Ellis and Mike Smith and if I am correct, the Canes do not have much depth beyond Weekes and Ward. So would they be interested in Bacashihua? Or do they prefer picks, prospects?

Either way, the Stars would likely have an interest in Brett Hedican, Bob Boughner, Aaron Ward and despite the fact I think he's pretty much useless outside Carolina, Sean Hill as well. Preferably in that order. Would any of the Canes fanbase or anyone who knows their value and their needs know what they prefer? Note that the Stars can't afford to part with any of their defensive prospect, though they might make an exception for Erskine (think Cairns) and MacMillan (think Lukowich).

Than I'd like to propose an idea between the Jackets and the Stars. The Stars came quite close in aquiring one of Whitney and Sanderson during last years trade deadline, but for some reason, Columbus' didn't want to let them go at the last moment. Now with Whitney in Detroit, I think Sanderson becomes a more realistic and doable trade target than most players on the block, especially after they've realised they aren't going anywhere (Sydor trade was a solid example). Now I can't imagine them having goalie issue's with Denis, Leclaire and then some, so here it goes...

To Dallas ....... Geoff Sanderson and Scott Lachance

To Columbus .. CLB 2nd round pick (previously aquired in the Sydor trade) and Jeff MacMillan.

Jeff MacMillan managed to crack the Stars on a few occasions this season, whether it were due to injuries or new expiriments. He's 24 and perfectly NHL ready, unspectacular, but very reliable and dependable. Rarely makes mistakes and takes the body as well as anyone. Solid size and a pretty hard shot. Brad Lukowich seems like a right on comparison. The 2nd will likely turn out to be the next best thing after a first rounder and will aproxemately be in the 31st/35th range.

Please note that Sanderson is having an off year and is a pending UFA, as well as Lachance IIRC. Also keep in mind that we gave them Manny Malhotra for free, I think they should cut us some slack .. ..

Last edited by Ajacied: 02-14-2004 at 07:43 AM.
Old
02-14-2004, 07:32 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
I must honestly say I don't know much about the Dallas organization. Alot of the teams in the west I don't stay current on. :/ As for Hedican: there were reports earlier this season Dallas was scouting him. I don't think he's one of the guys Rutherford would part with, but who knows. Things happen.

Btw, what the heck is that in your avatar now?

Old
02-14-2004, 07:36 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16
I must honestly say I don't know much about the Dallas organization. Alot of the teams in the west I don't stay current on. :/ As for Hedican: there were reports earlier this season Dallas was scouting him. I don't think he's one of the guys Rutherford would part with, but who knows. Things happen.

Btw, what the heck is that in your avatar now?
Could you clarify as of why Hedican isn't likely to be part with? Just curious as it seems like the cliche situation of a veteran nearing UFA status on a team going nowhere. Usually, those type of players are the first to be traded.

As for the avatar, it's my favorite player Steve Ott, after taking a run at Curtis Leschyshin.

Old
02-14-2004, 08:00 AM
Kinger1

Sanderson has 2 more years on his contract at $3 million. Doubt Dallas wants the money left on Sanderson.

Old
02-14-2004, 09:35 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Lachance actually is playing pretty solid this year (compared to last year).
I don't know if I'd take that proposal specificly (mostly because I'm unfamiliar with MacMillian though you sell him well). I will say that I think what you're proposing is similar to what MacLean would ask for.
As a CBJ fan, I hope he would get a little more for those two (I said hope, don't flame me please). The MacLean trade that most of us fans go back to is Spacek/2nd (Fritsche) for Odelein. We all hope any trade he makes comes out like that.

Old
02-14-2004, 10:23 AM
neelynugs

i doubt hedican is the stars' target. the guy signed a 6 year 18 million dollar deal after their cup run, and i don't think hicks is looking for anyone with that big of a contract (most especially term-wise)

Old
02-14-2004, 11:32 AM
Troy McClure

I really don't like that proposed deal. Dallas gets another UFA d-man to go with Numinen, Klemm, Matvichuk, and Sweeney. In doing so, they give up a good pick and a good d prospect.

MacMillan might crack the lineup next year and is worth more than a rental d-man. I'd rather have the pick and youth over those two players.

Old
02-14-2004, 11:52 AM
HughJass*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
i doubt hedican is the stars' target. the guy signed a 6 year 18 million dollar deal after their cup run, and i don't think hicks is looking for anyone with that big of a contract (most especially term-wise)
Exactly. When Rutherford signs someone long terms he stays very loyal to them. I don't see that changing unless Hedican wants to go.

Old
02-14-2004, 11:57 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Alright, fair enough. But I do think that the Stars would be interested in Hedican, especially since he's locked up long term. Stars can't afford to start 4 inexperienced rookies/sophomores since 4 of the Stars top 6 are pending UFA's. Having another top 4 defenseman in Hedican only helps, regardless of his contract as they'll lose Numminen's and Sweeney's for sure while Matvichuk and Klemm are questionable's. The former being more of a sure thing to return due to his very solid season while making as much as the latter.

That said, maybe Boughner is a better option but with so many teams interested in his services, the chances of him going to the Stars are rather slim.

Old
02-14-2004, 11:59 AM
HughJass*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
That said, maybe Boughner is a better option but with so many teams interested in his services, the chances of him going to the Stars are rather slim.
It depends. If Rutherford (or the Karmanos family) value a certain someone from your roster then I don't see it out of his scope to give up for something he (they) wants in particular.

Old
02-14-2004, 12:03 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16
It depends. If Rutherford (or the Karmanos family) value a certain someone from your roster then I don't see it out of his scope to give up for something he (they) wants in particular.
Well considering he went for a 4th or a 5th, I doubt Rutherford can gather anything more for him, to be honest. Boughner is yet another year older and yet another year closer to UFA status. But I'm sure he's smart, patiently waiting till the deadline and start hoping for a bidding war. But even than, a 3rd is probably the highest offer he will receive. I doubt teams would sacrafice a young warm body to land him. So with that being said, I'd offer up a 3rd. And with that, we've already outbid the Avs, Wings, Nucks, Sens, Sharks, Devs, Leafs, Flyers considering ours is higher..

Old
02-14-2004, 12:22 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Alright, fair enough. But I do think that the Stars would be interested in Hedican, especially since he's locked up long term.
The Stars got rid of Sydor just because he was locked up long term for a lot of money. I don't know that they'd change tracks and go after him.

Old
02-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure
The Stars got rid of Sydor just because he was locked up long term for a lot of money. I don't know that they'd change tracks and go after him.
I realised that while typing, but they just have to either: Sign a defenseman in the off-season or: Trade for one. Cause there's not a chance in hell they are going to play 3 inexperienced rookies next year. And with a trade, we have the bonuss of adding him now for a playoff run. Also with most of our core players having signed extensions, I think they can afford taking on a long term contract.

Old
02-14-2004, 12:34 PM
Troy McClure

I don't know what the plan is. Right now, it seems like they've done everything they can to get rid of any long term deals. If you look at all the UFAs on this team, we aren't going to recognize the roster next year.

The Stars have set themselves up to have a lot of freedom salary wise. I'm thinking they want to keep it that way.

Closed Thread