HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gainey???

Old
05-04-2008, 12:39 PM
CanadienErrant*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Per today's Gazette article:

"Carey Price says he's not going to look at his goaltending equipment for three months."

"It's probably the toughest moment of my career so far,"

"It feels like I've been playing for two years straight,"

"It's been a lot of fun, but I'm drained."

================================================== =========

This 20 year old just wasn't ready to shoulder the load. No big deal, he's only 20 years old. I still don't understand the rush to get him all this playoff experience. It was silly and the proof is in the pudding.

I know Bob Gainey is poorly educated but even he should of known what the numbers 2 and 0 next to one another means age-wise for a goalie.
Gainey is so bad in asset management....

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:45 PM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev47 View Post
Completely agreed man. To me it seems like Bob favors his draft picks/ friends over people that can do the job well. Julien was also fired so that his friend Carbo could take that spot instead. Also right now we don't know what the consequences will be on Price in the future. Some people here kept arguing that he is so calm, but it doesn't seem to be the case anymore. However, we won't know for sure what the consequences will be for rushing Price into the NHL until a few years from now. I still feel it was a big mistake rushing him in a market like Montreal.
Um, now we are saying Gainey made a mistake firing Claude Julien? The same man who was referred to as "Fulien" during his time behind the bench for Montreal? It's also ironic that this would come from someone with kovalev for a user name. Isn't Kovalev the same guy that most people on this board wanted to dump prior to the season for anything that anyone would offer? I think that Cristobal Huet is good, however, he would not have made a difference for the Canadiens unless he was somehow able to help out the power play, or suddenly turned into the greatest goaltender of all time.

All those who are critical of Bob Gainey as the Canadiens' GM need to remember what this team was like before he arrived. Remember the days of Dackell, Gilmour, Juneau, and #1 defensemen Patrice Brisebois? Care to argue over who was the the Habs seond best 1st round pick of the 1990's- Turner Stevenson, or Jason Ward? The Canadiens had a much better year than anyone expected and finally have young talent in the system, so while he has not been perfect, overall, I think that people should be pleased with the job that Bob Gainey has done.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:55 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
Hold on a minute here buddy...This experience factor comes with a very high risk of having Price having his confidence shattered thus could set him back many years (and in worst case situation, forever) in his development. Personnally, I think he looks like a goalie that has lost his confidence big time...looked really lost out there pretty much the whole series.
I really don't want to have to list again all that Price has accomplished in a very short time. The next step on the rung was to get playoff experience. Yes, he is still young, yes he let in a couple of weak goals, but no he is not the type of goaltender who is going to suffer any long-term effects from this experience. He survived getting bombarded night in and night out in Tri-City. He had a couple of blow-outs in Hamilton and he survived those. Price is the future and has to play and build up game experience in all situations. I'm guessing he has a bad taste in his mouth right now and already can't wait for next season.

Were you a kid whose parents bought you games and action figures but were not allowed to play them because you might scratch them?

Gainey

Last edited by 24Cups: 05-04-2008 at 12:55 PM. Reason: spelling
24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 03:29 PM
GNick42

Big test for Gainey this summer. can he get the AK signed, how about Komi long term, how does he improve the team to take it deeper in the playoffs?

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 03:39 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
Why has Bob Gainey been let off so easy, when he was the person responsible for derailing the Habs Cup run? Leaving playoff goaltending to two rookie goalies is a recipe for disaster. If Huet stayed, just his presence would have taken tremendous pressure of Price. Instead of the go to guy, with the weight of the world on his shoulders, the pressure would be on Huet and then Price could develop at a sensible pace.

The comparisons to Roy and Dryden are unfair and only heightened fan expectation and hence the pressure on Price. There is only one Patrick Roy and one Ken Dryden. While Price may yet turn out to be a solid goalie, he is not in the class of the Roy's of the world and now may have irrepairable damage done to his confidence.

The one to blame for this is Bob Gainey.
if you are going to blame goaltending for the habs loss in the playoffs, keep smoking
what you are smoking , and wake up next October.

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 03:42 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
if you are going to blame goaltending for the habs loss in the playoffs, keep smoking
what you are smoking , and wake up next October.
Not entirely but a huge part of it was the terrible goals allowed almost the whole way through. To think that 3 bad goals in 3 minutes in the second period of the last game had nothing to do with the goalie is ludicrous.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:12 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Not entirely but a huge part of it was the terrible goals allowed almost the whole way through. To think that 3 bad goals in 3 minutes in the second period of the last game had nothing to do with the goalie is ludicrous.
What game were you watching??? If Richards had any hand-eye coordination at all we'd probably be watching another game today, that gave them a bit of life. The third goal should have been a slashing call and the 4th well... I'd say he was probably a bit shaken by the unbelievable flukiness of Philly.

He made HUGE stops in the third, when most seasoned veterans would have caved. he IS this future Vezina/Conn Smythe winner and you know nothing about hockey. You believe that only our team has the divine right to a hot goalie... well your wrong... we've lived by it for many years and we got burned by a hot goalie. Do us all a favour and go root fo the leafs

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:20 PM
kovalev47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
Why bash anyone?

This is a young team and people seem to have forgotten about that.
Look at Pittsburgh last year, they lost as a team and learned what it takes to win.

I think the whole idea behind moving Huet was to give Price some playoff experience instead of giving it to someone who wasn't going to be here next year anyways.

You have to stop thinking about moves being made only for now.
Gainey is not trying to build a one year wonder, he's working on building a team that will be competitive for years to come.
The Pens have Crosby and Malkin. The Habs don't have anyone close to that. Alex and Saku rock, but I don't think we are in a comparable postion to the Pens.

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:30 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
The Pens have Crosby and Malkin. The Habs don't have anyone close to that. Alex and Saku rock, but I don't think we are in a comparable postion to the Pens.
We also didn't get the 1st and seconds picks in years that had phenomenal talents. If we ever did get a number one overall pick and didn't use it on a francophone most dweebs like you wouldn't let the GM forget it.

Old
05-04-2008, 04:32 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Gainey is so bad in asset management....
Unfortunately for Bob they taught that in grade 10.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:35 PM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmm. The entire universe picks us to miss the playoffs. We have too many young guys that are inexperienced. We missed out on big UFA signings. We have an inexperienced coach. yada yada yada

We finish first and are eliminated 2nd round by another team that is building on youth. The future looks a lot better than it did at the end of the regular season in '07

Yeah sure. It's all gainey's fault

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:39 PM
kovalev47

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
We also didn't get the 1st and seconds picks in years that had phenomenal talents. If we ever did get a number one overall pick and didn't use it on a francophone most dweebs like you wouldn't let the GM forget it.
You seem to be a bit edgy today? Did you forget to take your meds? Bob made some bad moves in our opinion and we have a right to express that view.

Quote:
What game were you watching??? If Richards had any hand-eye coordination at all we'd probably be watching another game today, that gave them a bit of life. The third goal should have been a slashing call and the 4th well... I'd say he was probably a bit shaken by the unbelievable flukiness of Philly.

He made HUGE stops in the third, when most seasoned veterans would have caved. he IS this future Vezina/Conn Smythe winner and you know nothing about hockey. You believe that only our team has the divine right to a hot goalie... well your wrong... we've lived by it for many years and we got burned by a hot goalie. Do us all a favour and go root fo the leafs
Lol keep telling yourself that Philly beating us was luck buddy if that's what helps you sleep at night. Philly was simply the better team. If anything, we were lucky to beat Boston. Nice to see your arrogance through, claiming that people that don't agree with you "know nothing about hockey"

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-04-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old
05-04-2008, 04:45 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

Are you Prices fluffer or something?

Old
05-04-2008, 04:48 PM
brownman*

Still can't believe a team rife with youth didn't win the cup during its first collective taste of the playoffs

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:51 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
You seem to be a bit edgy today? Did you forget to take your meds? Bob made some bad moves in our opinion and we have a right to express that view.
If I seem a bit edgy it's only because it's sickening to read the continual bashing of highly qualified professionals by armchair hacks who probably skate on their ankles. We had a great season and yes I was hoping to go farther into the playoffs but I said months ago we weren't READY to contend YET and I trust that BG is addressing the issues needed to take us to the next level, and one of those in my opinion is the continued development of Carey Price. We also need a few more grinders out there but most of the bozos on this board would have us tie up tons of money for a Hossa when I'd prefer 3 guys like Kostopoulos' (or a version of him that could strike more physical fear into an opponent.)
Sometimes you have to lose to understand how to win, just ask Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Sakic and too many others to name. It's only in the megolomaniac world of the Hab fan that we think its our divine right to win without first having learned the lessons necessary.

Old
05-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Istvan

Bob Gainey is the GM of a team that finished 1st in the East after having been picked to miss the playoffs by most "experts".[ Guy Carbonneau was the coach of this team]. What's the complaint?

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
Bob Gainey is the GM of a team that finished 1st in the East after having been picked to miss the playoffs by most "experts".[ Guy Carbonneau was the coach of this team]. What's the complaint?
You can't reason with these people... they don't listen to reason.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:09 PM
kovalev47

Quote:
If I seem a bit edgy it's only because it's sickening to read the continual bashing of highly qualified professionals by armchair hacks who probably skate on their ankles. We had a great season and yes I was hoping to go farther into the playoffs but I said months ago we weren't READY to contend YET and I trust that BG is addressing the issues needed to take us to the next level, and one of those in my opinion is the continued development of Carey Price. We also need a few more grinders out there but most of the bozos on this board would have us tie up tons of money for a Hossa when I'd prefer 3 guys like Kostopoulos' (or a version of him that could strike more physical fear into an opponent.)
Sometimes you have to lose to understand how to win, just ask Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Sakic and too many others to name. It's only in the megolomaniac world of the Hab fan that we think its our divine right to win without first having learned the lessons necessary.
People have a right to disagree with the moves Bob made. Otherwise what's the point in having a messageboard? Also you say that you trust Bob's moves because he is a "professional." I disagree with that statement. I agree a professional has more knowledge, but that does not mean he is making right decisions. I mean even professionals disagree with they way things are handled.

If a doctor tells you he wants to treat you a certain way do you automatically go and agree to what he says because he is a doctor? Or do you question his treatment and try to find out more knowledge and seek other doctors' view points as well before making a decision.

Another aspect to consider is that Bob may not be doing everything to make the Habs a winner. Is it possible he is trying to please the owner and shareholders rather than create a great hockey team? The goal of the organization is to make a profit. Ticket prices can be raised and the Bell Center still sells out. Tell me why he would want to create a winner when he can save the cost of player's salaries and still sell out 82 games of the season.

Is he trying to make this team a winner? Maybe, maybe not. Has he made bad moves? Yes in my opinion as well as others. Time will only tell for sure I guess.

Also most of the "hockey experts" feel that the the move of trading Huet was a terrible move.

Old
05-04-2008, 05:15 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
Obviously the experts were wrong so why is that even being taken into account at all?

We were the better team than both Boston and the Flyers and yet we played terribly against both of them. You are happy about a terrible end to a great season?

Guess what, Gainey is human and makes mistakes. Most of his trades are awful and we get royally screwed.

Old
05-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Obviously the experts were wrong so why is that even being taken into account at all?

We were the better team than both Boston and the Flyers and yet we played terribly against both of them. You are happy about a terrible end to a great season?

Guess what, Gainey is human and makes mistakes. Most of his trades are awful and we get royally screwed.
Yup Kovalev for Balej and a 2nd sucks....
So does Rivet for MaxPac and Gorges
Ditto for signing Hamrlik instead of Souray
I can't believe we traded up to get Guillaime Latendresse
That Carey Price pick was terrible we should've taken Brule
Zednick and a 4th for Johnson and a 3rd was horrible (two trades, but essentially was one).
Giving up Samsonov and saving 1million dollars was awful
Getting rid of Theo's contract was a bad move too.

but lets only focus on the trades and moves we lost like the Ribeiro one....
Name me the GM who wins every single one of his trades.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:38 PM
kovalev47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
Zednick and a 4th for Johnson and a 3rd was horrible (two trades, but essentially was one).

but lets only focus on the trades and moves we lost like the Ribeiro one....
Name me the GM who wins every single one of his trades.
We don't know how max will play and Rivet is a good player despite some Habs fans not wanting to give him any credit. Bob lucked out on the Hamrlik deal, he had offered the same deal to Souray first. Bob may have ruined Price by rushing. Time will only tell on this one. Bob signed Samsonov and Thedore first, so he was only correcting his own mistake. Both players are pretty good players in my opnion, but the pressure here got to Theodore and Samsonov was mishandled by carbo. The kovy deal was good.

Old
05-04-2008, 05:42 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
Some of your points are well taken, but to be quite honest the future (certainly the next few years) does not look all that bright for the Habs...Koivu, our one and only leader may not even be back next year. Even if he is, I don't expect too much from him as he's shown signs of continual decline this year mainly because he physically just can't handle it anymore. Despite this, he was our only consistent player in the playoffs and most definitely our only leader and we still couldn't get the job done.

Kovalev, well, the million dollar question with him is can he have a repeat of this year??...Let's face it. without Kovalev's miraculous turn around during the regular season we probably wouldn't have made the playoffs. Meanwhile, his playoff performance was very mediocre and as a result we looked like anything but a contender, much less a first place team. Kovalev's playoff this year once again proves that he is not a true leader and to be quite frank, I don't expect him to have a year anywhere close to what he had last year.

And who will take over as a true leader if Kovu doesn't return?...Higgins, you say...Sorry but it's not gonna happen. He's too inconsistent and certainly showed no signs of being a leader by this year's playoff performance. In fact, I don't even see Higgins being with the team after his current contract expires...I get the impression, that he's had enough of playing in this pressure cooker of Montreal...too many games, it seems the will is not there for him and can you blame him?...No doubt he's also being affected by the way he saw his best buddy, Ryder, being treated this year. Other than those guys there's not much to turn to for leadership on this team. Komy was considered to have leadership qualities but not likely to happen as a captain. He consistently makes way too many bonehead players for anyone to have to look up to.

Finally, don't even mention about bringing in quality leadership from outside because it ain't gonna happen for all the reasons I've already discussed regarding attracting players to Montreal.

Sorry for sounding so pissimistic but I just don't see a bright future any time soon.
your points about the future are solid , like I said before , lets call a spade a spade ,
Koivu is 34 next year , and not a number centerman anymore, forget his nice playoff run , he is in decline .
Kovy is 36 , which one do we get next year , this years or somehwere in between the year before. IT IS HIGHLY unlikely he gets 80 points next year , then he is free , are you going to ink him agin at that age. I have said it before ,our KIDS , will
dictate our success and so far - THEY PRODUCED BIG TIME. There is clealry upside with the Kosty boys, and to some extent Obyrne , Gorges, Lapps, and Lats.
THE KEY IS SIMPLE - MCDONOUGH, and MAX are the enxt home run hitters .
Free agency will as always not get us that top end guy , they wont come here .
We are ok , if Price turns it up a notch , we will be fine. BUT DONT COUNT ON US WINNING THE CONEFRENCE NEXT YEAR .

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:46 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Amazing the threads are getting more and more stupid.....Now it is Gainey's fault

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:46 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Yes this one finally paid off after Kovalev cost us last years playoffs.

Quote:
Not bad, kinda a wash unless Max Pac makes it.

Quote:
You mean letting Souray walk away for nothing? Wow brilliant move there.

Quote:
Has Lats done something impressive other than win the big mac eating contest?

Quote:
I am very sure that all the scouts had nothing to do with this. Gainey was high atop his tower and just plucked him out of a crowd.

Quote:
Really? Johnson had 31 points with us for ONE season. Wow what a blockbuster trade!

Quote:
He only has 32 points in 38 games with Carolina haha suckers!

Quote:
Whos gave Theo that bloated contract in the first place?

Old
05-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Habnot

Quote:
We don't know how max will play and Rivet is a good player despite some Habs fans not wanting to give him any credit. Bob lucked out on the Hamrlik deal, he had offered the same deal to Souray first. Bob may have ruined Price by rushing. Time will only tell on this one. Bob signed Samsonov and Thedore first, so he was only correcting his own mistake. Both players are pretty good players in my opnion, but the pressure here got to Theodore and Samsonov was mishandled by carbo. The kovy deal was good.
Another fair weather fan that crawls out from under the maggot infested bandwagon.

I've said this before, our reputation on these boards is well deserved. When we win, everyone is a god. When we lose, everyone is a bum. We already saw the whole gamut of threads:

-Gainey is a idiot
-Carbo got outcoached
-Price isoverrated
-It's Koivu's fault
-Kovy was sulking because he is the real captain
-Huet would of won the series

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote