HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey???

Old
05-04-2008, 08:48 PM
LV Hab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

But Habs were strong contenders for a playoff spot at that point obviously. At that point, we were aiming for higher. And so we did with no help. Still, if you aim for higher and know that one of the reasons to aim for higher in the regular season is to have the home ice advantage for the duration of the series, well you fix your team so that you can be a strong playoffs team. And we weren't strong enough.
It was always going to be very difficult to gage the Habs ability to be a strong playoff team at the trade deadline. Lots of the young guys have very limited playoff experience and the Kostitsyns, Lapierre, Lats, O'byrne and Price had never even played in one playoff game. After watching his team play a couple of playoff series, Gainey should have a better idea where they need to improve and it would be disappointing if he is unable to bring in a top UFA this summer. If the Habs can sign one of those big names this summer, the team will be much stronger for not making those deadline day moves that may help the team short-term, but hurt long-term. If he can't bring anyone in we will be hoping he makes a trade during the season and that it's the right one...

LV Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:50 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Yeah, it would really help if we could make a move like Coburn for Zhitnik. We need a move or two like this one to improve.
If only we would have been a little worst last year at the trade deadline...

Souray for Coburn and ??

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:51 PM
kovalev47

[QUOTE=LV Hab;13996799][QUOTE=kovalev47;13995540]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post

You might rather have kept Rivet, but when considering what is best for the franchise that seems to be more of a preference than something that can be backed up with any real evidence. Rivet signed a 4 year deal in SJ for 3.5 mil per year, Georges is going to cost around 1-1.5 mil for the next 3 seasons and his play is close to Rivet's already and he is 10 years younger. Plus who knows how much Rivet would have asked for to stay in Mtl, my guess is more. Max Pac hasn't played a game in the NHL, but he is clearly a very interesting prospect and exactly the type of forward the Habs are in need of.

As for ruining young goaltenders confidence, Marty Brodeur was pulled after losing his first two playoff games and never saw the net again that playoff. He went on to win the cup the next year. I'm not making comparisons, Carey Price is Carey Price, he had a bit of a rough go in the second round, but I feel its safe to say the kid will have a very good NHL career.

Gainey hasn't been flawless, he has actually made a few mistakes along the way, but where he has been a huge success is in his cap management. The Habs have a ton of room and should be able to add another nice veteran piece to the puzzle this off season without negatively affecting Mtl's ability to keep the core together long term.

His lack of movement at the deadline was a bit disappointing, but other than Richards, Hossa or a Brad Stuart type of D there really wasn't much out there this year. Everyone knows he made a pitch for Hossa, but could not justify the asking price. This doesn't bother me at all because I didn't think Hossa would have put this team over the top anyways and there would have been no guarantee of him signing long term.

The true test of Gainey's ability as a GM will come over the next few seasons as the Habs have clearly established their arrival as cup contenders. From the outside or on paper the Habs resemble the Sens when they first established themselves, tons of speed and skill, but need to prove they can win in the playoffs. IMO the sens GMs failed to make the crucial tweaks to the roster to help them win a cup, hopefully Gainey will be able to do what he did in Dallas and bring the cup back to Mtl. He clearly has the balls to pull the trigger when he feels the need ie: Igi to Calgary, trading Huet. Hopefully he gets it done here.
I agree with some of the points you made and others not so much. Georges has played well, but I feel he isn't at the level of a Rivet yet. As for Max, we'll just have to wait and see. Too many prospects are considered the next great thing but often they don't materialize as they were touted to be.

Brodeur wasn't ruined but he didn't play in a market like Montreal. The pressure here is insane compared to any other city. Combine that with the fans and media here and it can be much to overwhelming for any 20 year old player, especially for a goalie.

We do have the cap room, but will UFAs want to come play here? Unless we are saving most of the room for the draft picks and current young roster players.

I agree that it was not that big an issue that we didn't make a deal before the deadline. However, it doesn't make sense to me to trade your number 1 goalie for a draft pick. If anything he could have made no changes, instead of weakening the team.

I agree that we won't know until a few years from now whether Bob has done a good job or not. But up to this point, I haven't been satisfied. But time will tell I guess.

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Trust me, Carey's going to be just fine. He's going to put his pads away for abit, go back to where he's from, relax, talk with his dad, see his friends and come back ready as ever for next season.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:11 AM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
Ya HUET sure took Washington far in the playoffs. Huet is a flashy goalie only cause he is out of position alot. There is a reason why he was ranked as the 24 best goalie in the league. He was not gonna lead this team far and Habs management knew this. They had to give Price the experience
sorry huet's positioning is his strenght and he isn't flashy at all!!! what are you talking about??? That is nonsense.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
I agree... It would be great if someone would've offered us a great up and coming centre... for an old washed up one like Smoke
Mathieu Dandenault for Benoit Pouliot.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Habitants

huet got beat by the same flyers.

does anyone remember that goal the eliminated the habs the last time they were in the second round? on huet? enought said.

huet would not have done better.

Price was not the only problem in this series. he did not get alot of help from his defence, and the habs could not put the pucks in. after you let in the first goal the team plays different, and there is more pressure on the goalie. the habs needed to capitalize on their chances, and they did not! powerplay was a JOKE!

HUET is GONE! get over it! they are better off without him!

as for price, this is only the begining he will surely take alot from this experince, he has not had much dissapointment in his young career, and now that he know how it feels, i think he will work harder! you heard his coments after the game! Looking forward to seeing him next year play as the starter for the majority of the games!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post
I'd rather Price experiences that now compared to next year where we are EXPECTED to contend in the playoffs.

Losing with Price in round 2 is better than losing with Huet in round 2.
Not to mention the fact that Halak got a playoff start and experience. I think that was also worth something. Halak is a goaltender with a whole heck of a lot of potential and having him stick around with the team and getting some starts is very important.

I think that with all the hype people forgot that this team wasn't supposed to make a run this year and accomplished something exceptional. Our guys got lots of great experience and we can look forward to seeing these guys in the postseason again next season.

I think we still have room to make some strong deals, the off season should be interesting; particularly the draft. I think that the best is yet to come, and we're building up.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
I know Bob Gainey is poorly educated but even he should of known what the numbers 2 and 0 next to one another means age-wise for a goalie.

Ignorance is bliss

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Obviously the experts were wrong so why is that even being taken into account at all?

We were the better team than both Boston and the Flyers and yet we played terribly against both of them. You are happy about a terrible end to a great season?

Guess what, Gainey is human and makes mistakes. Most of his trades are awful and we get royally screwed.
I stated a fact. You actually hurt your own case when you point out that "we were the better team than both Boston and the Flyers" because you are acknowledging that BG put together a team better than those teams.

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:12 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Gainey

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:12 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Ignorance is bliss
I'm sure BigTimer was taking time away from this doctoral thesis when he made that post.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:36 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I'm sure BigTimer was taking time away from this doctoral thesis when he made that post.
Wish I was that unedumacated, I could afford that vacation me n Clover been talkin' 'bout.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:43 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Wish I was that unedumacated, I could afford that vacation me n Clover been talkin' 'bout.
Keep reaching for the stars mcphee, you’ll get there some day. I can see it now, a grassy field, a man and his ruminant. It's almost as touching as Shakespeare's sonnets, the stuff of romance novels.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:46 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordy View Post
i agree with the OP. Gainey took a brain cramp when he traded his veteran goaltender for nothing.
i think you should wait and see what kind of player that second rounder turns into before calling him nothing .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:46 AM
mcphee

That's right. Some look at things as they are and say why ? I look at things as they could be and say, why not ?

Old
05-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Istvan

Quote:
That's right. Some look at things as they are and say why ? I look at things as they could be and say, why not ?
I'm getting misty here.

Old
05-05-2008, 01:33 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
I'm getting misty here.
I'm pretty sure I got it wrong, but it's RFK isn't it ? I usually quote Dylan or Zevon, RFK's a stretch for me. I did a Del Shannon quote today, but that was just a play on words.

Old
05-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Istvan

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I got it wrong, but it's RFK isn't it ? I usually quote Dylan or Zevon, RFK's a stretch for me. I did a Del Shannon quote today, but that was just a play on words.
It doesn't matter who you quoted, it was your delivery.

Old
05-05-2008, 06:26 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Mathieu Dandenault for Benoit Pouliot.....
or Gilbert Brulé who had always dreamed to be drafted by the Habs. the kid could replace Ryder someday.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 06:29 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
I stated a fact. You actually hurt your own case when you point out that "we were the better team than both Boston and the Flyers" because you are acknowledging that BG put together a team better than those teams.
Really better ? Check the stats. The Bruins were a mere 10 points behind, and the Flyers 8. They split the games between them and us, and The Habs don't even make the playoffs.

Those teams were just better built for playoffs type of games. Gainey must adress this weakness.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
I agree... It would be great if someone would've offered us a great up and coming centre... for an old washed up one like Smoke
Kane for Dandenault?

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Kane for Dandenault?
Clear overpayment. Kane's unproven.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Fozz

I'm so pissed off that the Habs didn't go 82-0 this year!

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
Clear overpayment. Kane's unproven.
maybe they will have to throw in Toews then, just to even things out.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote