HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lauri Korpikoski

Old
05-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
He looks to be a more natural third liner in the sense that he won't be overmatched offensively in that role. To me Callahan is a borderline third liner, because he is very stiff skills wise. Callahan does well because of his motor.

Lauri looks like he's going to be an above average third liner. I wouldn't mind a guy like Lauri on the third line if he could put up 10-20 goals..what's even better is I could see him doing that next year as long as he comes into camp in this shape.

However, because he's played a lot of hockey this year, got a decent rest after the HFD series, he looked like a well oiled skater and his reactions were firing on time, his stickhandling was there, the shot etc.

Coming off a summer vacation in Finland may show a different look
Lauri will play in the NHL. I have little doubt about that.

The question is and always has been offensive production. That's where the mystery is.

Edge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 05:09 AM
Esko6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiBBa View Post
How is this guy from finland? His last name sounds polish.
No polish in his name. Korpi is a type of forest, spruce mire is probably the english word for it, and koski is a rapid.

Esko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 05:56 AM
NorthlandPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I think Korpikoski is like Dubinsky in the sense that his AHL numbers don't tell the whole story because he gets better as he matures and gains experience. Like Dubinsky, he seems like a good systems guy.

However, I would be hesistant to put too high of expectations on his offense next season. He'll probably starts on the third/fourth line next season and we'll take it from there. I think his offensive game will take some time, but eventually he'll be a either a solid second line player or a very good third line player.
Exactly. That why it is moronic to pigeon hole players at 17 or 18. Look at the skill set. The kid must be faster at the NHL levl because reports on here had him slow at the AHL level. Either that or the AHL is a faster league! Korpedo should start out on the 4th line, cut his teeth and then after he has learned the league you slot him where his talent dicates that he be used. The kid is 21 and is another player with speed and grit that he heard about when he was drafted.

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 06:23 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esko6 View Post
No polish in his name. Korpi is a type of forest, spruce mire is probably the english word for it, and koski is a rapid.
And Sidney is a weeping willow..........

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:00 AM
eco's bones

I've never heard anyone say that Korpikoski is slow. Maybe Byers could use just a bit more speed but Korpikoski's main strength has always been his skating and his energy. That was an excellent debut. His goal put spirit into a dead bench. He did not sit back. He was an involved player. Fleury had trouble with his other shot he took in the first period. Next season--point production will not be that great if he makes the team like I expect. We might even see him up and down a bit to Hartford ala Dawes this season. 3rd and 4th line basically--work him on to the penalty kill which he's been doing a lot of in Hartford. He's still young--looks ready to me but not quite fully developed as a player. Very excited about him. At this point in time I think he's our closest forward to making it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Big Korpikoski fan, love his game.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:50 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
wearing number 22 he looked like Mike Gartner with that wrist shot! KEEP THE BOY UP!!!

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Sockosensei

If he could come in and give us 8-10 goals and as a defensively responsible, energy role player, I'd give him Hollywood's slot right now.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:24 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockosensei View Post
If he could come in and give us 8-10 goals and as a defensively responsible, energy role player, I'd give him Hollywood's slot right now.
i think he can be much more than that. Give him a chance at being on the offense.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Ovens

I really like him, but he should start on the 4th line until he gets up to speed, however I fear this will leave us stacked with 4th liners...

Ovens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:37 AM
LeetchIsGod2

Send a message via AIM to LeetchIsGod2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubinsky4Calder08 View Post
Pick up Ryder and Streit and next year Lord Stanely will come to New York.

Streit is everything we need in a defenseman. Ryder and Gomez would be un-touchable.
We need Orpik !

LeetchIsGod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:58 AM
FINNtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esko6 View Post
Korpi could also be translated as backwoods or wilderness Too many vowels for it to be polish.. Krpkski would be more like it.

FINNtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

So, what's the difference between expecting Cherepanov to make this team next year and giving Korpikoski that same shot instead?

IMO the brass has figured exactly that after seeing what happened the second half of the season and will do the right thing by leaving Cherepanov in Russia for next year (as of now). Having Korpikoski and Anisimov playing like they were is a huge help for sure.

TWITTER
@draftbuzzhockey
Anthony Mauro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:15 AM
in the hall

see here's my issue with him on the fourth line.

it's nothing new that he's excellent defensively and could have played in the NHL perhaps this season, however he had untapped offensive potential so the organization was patient with him hoping he would start producing and now that he's finally starting to realize it, you want to throw him in the fourth line?

i don't think so. i wouldn't be surprised if he did end up on the fourth line, however i think the team has bigger plans for him and will give him an opportunity in a slightly more offensive role.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Captain Monglobster

Putting him on A fourth line would not be a bad move. Putting him on the Rangers fourth line most likely would. What's he gonna do with Betts and Orr/? as linemates?

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:06 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthlandPro View Post
The kid must be faster at the NHL levl because reports on here had him slow at the AHL level. Either that or the AHL is a faster league!
Anyone who said that wasn't watching him play. Korpikoski's primary attribute in his time in the AHL has been his speed. It is one area of his game that should cause absolutely no concern.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:21 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Anyone who said that wasn't watching him play. Korpikoski's primary attribute in his time in the AHL has been his speed. It is one area of his game that should cause absolutely no concern.
Yeah, he's got like an 85 in NHL '08.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:23 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
Cullen didn't fit in NY because Renney didn't put him in a position to succeed. The guy excels as a PP point man.
Renney put him on the point to begin the year and he sucked at it. He took him off, then put him back on later in the year and he sucked again.

Quote:
We have a player in Petr Prucha who has a history of scoring on the power play. What does Renney do? He keeps Prucha off of the power play in favor of guys like Avery (who has never been great on the PP).
I agree with you to an extent, but Prucha does very little 5 on 5 and he doesn't kill penalties. It's hard to give him a spot in the lineup over other players who contribute more. Besides, putting him on the PP doesn't mean he's going to score goals. The whole unit has struggled so much that I don't think he would make much of a difference. They had trouble even setting up in the offensive zone. Carrying the puck and digging it out of the corners really isn't Prucha's strong suit.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:29 PM
NYROrtsFan

Prucha is actually best around the net. I think what hurts Prucha is that he hasn't worked hard enough outside of hockey to have any real growth. Girardi came in and then worked his ass off to the point where he is visibly stronger. Prucha has to go and do that himself instead of just coming and and doing the same things.

The 4th line is fine as it is... Next year leave it as Hollweg Betts Orr. That fourth line is absolutely fine. 4th lines don't make a difference in the playoffs anyway. Korpedo would be a waste there anyway.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:31 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Prucha is actually best around the net. I think what hurts Prucha is that he hasn't worked hard enough outside of hockey to have any real growth. Girardi came in and then worked his ass off to the point where he is visibly stronger. Prucha has to go and do that himself instead of just coming and and doing the same things.

The 4th line is fine as it is... Next year leave it as Hollweg Betts Orr. That fourth line is absolutely fine. 4th lines don't make a difference in the playoffs anyway. Korpedo would be a waste there anyway.
hed be more useful than hollweg. let hollweg keep practicing rock band so he can go on american idol one day. if hollweg is here next year well sather did not do his job.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:33 PM
NYROrtsFan

I would keep Hollweg without a doubt. The regular season is different than the post season. In the regular season you need guys like Hollweg and Orr on a regular basis. They played fine during the regular season last year so there is no reason to think they wont next season.

Plus, Hollweg is only 24 right now. One thing that remains constant in the sports world is that almost ALL players are at their absolute best from 25-30.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:36 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
I would keep Hollweg without a doubt. The regular season is different than the post season. In the regular season you need guys like Hollweg and Orr on a regular basis. They played fine during the regular season last year so there is no reason to think they wont next season.

Plus, Hollweg is only 24 right now. One thing that remains constant in the sports world is that almost ALL players are at their absolute best from 25-30.
hollweg continues to take dumb penalties. u never see orr or betts do that. id rather have someone who is more of a player than a hitting machine who has no skills at all. rather have byers, dupont, even jessiman get a chance before i want hollweg back

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:39 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

so you're saying we can expect 4 goals per year from Holly for the next 5 yrs.

screw Holly and his ******** penalties, let Byers have a shot at it.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:24 PM
free0717

Screw Holly and Orr. I want to see a Byers Betts Jessiman 4th line next year.
It will deliver a hell of alot more than the HBO Line.

I want to see Korpi on the 3rd line with Dubi and Sjostrom.

2nd line Cally, Drury and Dawes

1st line Avery, Gomez and Hossa

Prucha gets traded to St. Louis for the third we gave up for Backman.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:31 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Screw Holly and Orr. I want to see a Byers Betts Jessiman 4th line next year.
It will deliver a hell of alot more than the HBO Line.

I want to see Korpi on the 3rd line with Dubi and Sjostrom.

2nd line Cally, Drury and Dawes

1st line Avery, Gomez and Hossa

Prucha gets traded to St. Louis for the third we gave up for Backman.
if jagr doesnt return that is the lineup i would like to see.....although i think orr will have to be in the lineup so i would say one of jessiman or byers

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote