HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

nhl rights

Old
05-04-2008, 10:21 AM
gallagt01

vCash: 500
nhl rights

Does anyone have a link that would show when NHL rights expire for all types of prosepcts? CHL, Collegiate, European, etc etc. I'm pretty sure for CHL and Euro prospects you have to sign them within 2 years but I'm not sure. I'd just like to see a page that had all rules regarding signing prospects.

Thanks.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:31 AM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
College I believe is the summer after the player's senior season.

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:36 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looooooodman View Post
Does anyone have a link that would show when NHL rights expire for all types of prosepcts? CHL, Collegiate, European, etc etc. I'm pretty sure for CHL and Euro prospects you have to sign them within 2 years but I'm not sure. I'd just like to see a page that had all rules regarding signing prospects.

Thanks.
I don't have a link but I can post what the rights are. All CHL drafted players, you have to sign them before June 1st, 2 years after being drafted or they will re-enter the draft (unless they are too old). NCAA (or players drafted out of the USHS/USHL that are headed to the NCAA) have to be signed by August 15th of the year that they finish their senior year. European players are now treated the same as CHLers in that you have to sign them in two years or lose their rights. Russian drafted players do not count, since there's no agreement in place with the IIHF-NHL PTA (player transfer agreement) Also this year is the final year for pre cba drafted euro prospects, meaning that all Euro picks from the 2004 draft must be signed this summer(minus Russians), along with the standard 2006 Euro picks and 2006 CHLers.

The new cba had a big change in regards to Euro picks, going from several years to just two years, but only made it retroactive for the drafts in the new cba, while giving extra time for the previous drafts after '01. So this year is the final year for the carryover, next year it will be just CHLers and Euro picks from the '07 draft only.

As for a link, perhaps try going to nhl.com and look up the cba. There's a spot listing the new rules for signing drafted players.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:32 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I don't have a link but I can post what the rights are. All CHL drafted players, you have to sign them before June 1st, 2 years after being drafted or they will re-enter the draft (unless they are too old). NCAA (or players drafted out of the USHS/USHL that are headed to the NCAA) have to be signed by August 15th of the year that they finish their senior year. European players are now treated the same as CHLers in that you have to sign them in two years or lose their rights. Russian drafted players do not count, since there's no agreement in place with the IIHF-NHL PTA (player transfer agreement) Also this year is the final year for pre cba drafted euro prospects, meaning that all Euro picks from the 2004 draft must be signed this summer(minus Russians), along with the standard 2006 Euro picks and 2006 CHLers.

The new cba had a big change in regards to Euro picks, going from several years to just two years, but only made it retroactive for the drafts in the new cba, while giving extra time for the previous drafts after '01. So this year is the final year for the carryover, next year it will be just CHLers and Euro picks from the '07 draft only.

As for a link, perhaps try going to nhl.com and look up the cba. There's a spot listing the new rules for signing drafted players.
Thank you.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote