HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Should we consider extending Koivu and Kovalev?

Old
05-04-2008, 07:34 AM
toughstuff

vCash: 500
Should we consider extending Koivu and Kovalev?

Both will be in the last year of there deals next year.

One could consider granting extensions to both as necessary success ingredients for seeking the ideal environment for both to solely think on hockey and not get distracted by negotiations.

Koivu provides an honest effort. I would no doubt give him an extension but only if the price is right. (decreasing salary over 3 years lets say 4-3-2M)

Providing Kovalev an extension really gives me the shakes. Was this year the real thing or will he pull a 2006-2007? I loved the leadership he demonstrated this year. He may be an incentive for other Russian to remain with the HABS. He is also in great shape. (decreasing salary over years in the same ball park as Koivu)

Your thoughts.

toughstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:35 AM
Brisk-Illusion

No, let them play out their contract years. Not to sound cynical, but I think they'll try harder if they're playing for a new contract

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:51 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

close and past 35 year old=1 year contracts!

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
I really want Koivu to retire as a habs. Would be heartbreaking to see him play anywhere else.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:06 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_Rafter View Post
I really want Koivu to retire as a habs. Would be heartbreaking to see him play anywhere else.

I agree. habs for life!

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:07 AM
couris

Koivu, sign him.
Kovalev, let him go or try to make a trade.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:20 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
Koivu, sign him.
You could debate that one either way.

One still produces point wise, the other seems to comes around in the playoffs no matter what.

But, after the season (next) they are both going to be another year older and declining in skill...these guys aren't your Sakic's or Messier type players who can still play at a great pace and contribute at that age.

New people will step in, and players who are going have been here 3-4 years are going to have to step up and make it their team...it happens every decade.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Still too early

I would wait after next season and see what the situation is at that point. Kovalev could revert back to his old self and Saku could be on the decline (due to all the injuries ect) so it would be unwise to extend them long term at this point imho.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:27 AM
couris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
You could debate that one either way.

One still produces point wise, the other seems to comes around in the playoffs no matter what.

But, after the season (next) they are both going to be another year older and declining in skill...these guys aren't your Sakic's or Messier type players who can still play at a great pace and contribute at that age.

New people will step in, and players who are going have been here 3-4 years are going to have to step up and make it their team...it happens every decade.
True, but after this season I prefer go with guys that show up come playoff time, like the flyers.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:28 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Considering the lack of dept that we have for top line centers, we may have to extend Koivu and for the least sign him at the end of the year.

Kovalev is always a gamble. Can he repeat this years prowess...when on his game he is magnificent. I feel that even if he can't repeat he can still have a positive attitude on the team.

If I had a choice, I'd go with Kovalev instead of Koivu.

Our series against Philly demonstrated a few of our weakness'. When may have the "never say die" attitude, but we got man-handle.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Belso

Extended them both unless you can't get someone else with the money. Kovalev and Koivu prove year after year that they are good (and I like them both) but can't win it for their team. They need a third player to help them.

I like Plekanec. I like the team overall, but they need another play-off warrior to complete the trio. Plekanec did some good things but he was inconsistent, just like Higgins (who I picked in my hockey pool ).

Hopefully The Habs will keep getting better the way I believe they will and they will get that one free agent and kick ass next season.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:45 AM
jordy

Koivu and Kovalev are the heart and soul and identity of this team. We need to keep these guys along as long as they want to play. I think they both have a few good years of hockey left even if they have to be dropped down to the 3rd line or whatever. As of right now we dont have any real game breaker offensive prospects to replace these two when they do decide to retire.

jordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Turboflex*

Koivu and Kovalev could still be a solid 3rd line pairing in 3-4 years if they slow down. The bring a lot of offence to the table that doesn't rely just on leg speed like moves, face offs, solid bodies, cunning vision of the play, passing.

Look at Modano on Dallas, 37 years old, plays 3rd line for them during season contributing nicely, and has stepped up bigtime in playoffs (9pts in 11 games, lots of clutch).

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:21 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

We should try to extend Koivu now and get a bit of a discount because it was his worst season in many years. Let's face it, the guy is a Montreal Canadien forever.. and I'm fine with that. Sign him for another 2-4 years.

Kovalev.. wait and see who shows up this upcoming year.
I wouldn't be against trading him either if we could get an awesome draft pick (which could then be part of a deal with say Grabovski / Carle) for a younger winger.. or we could sign a UFA (though their aren't a hell of a lot of options this year).

We'll see.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughstuff View Post
Your thoughts.
It wouldn't hurt to try and extend Koivu. But the price must be right.

With Kovalev, it's much wiser to wait.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Bruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
Koivu, sign him.
100% agree. Kovalev is worth more on the trade market right now than he has been in years. I think we should take advantage of this. Kovalev is one of these players who does not always give you his best effort. Last year was a perfect example. There were many people on this board who wanted him gone, and rightfully so. Since Kovalev 'decided' to try this year, he has the numbers to get lots in return on the trade market. Let's face it, at his age, he is not going to get better than he was this year. I'm just really afraid that we will have a repeat of last year if we keep him around. Trade him while he is at his most valuable.

Flame away.

Bruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:58 AM
HotPie

Koivu yes, not Kovalev.

This playoff run was as good a reminder as any why Koivu is the heart and soul of this team. With Koivu, you know what you're getting.

Not with Kovalev...which is why it's much wiser to wait as someone put it.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:05 AM
The n00b King ©*

If the right deal came along during the trade deadline, I would trade Kovalev. And when I say right deal, I mean it. Think along the terms of what Philly got for Forsberg.

If not, then I'd probably sign him for another year. Koivu I would give 2 years.

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:59 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughstuff View Post
Both will be in the last year of there deals next year.

One could consider granting extensions to both as necessary success ingredients for seeking the ideal environment for both to solely think on hockey and not get distracted by negotiations.

Koivu provides an honest effort. I would no doubt give him an extension but only if the price is right. (decreasing salary over 3 years lets say 4-3-2M)

Providing Kovalev an extension really gives me the shakes. Was this year the real thing or will he pull a 2006-2007? I loved the leadership he demonstrated this year. He may be an incentive for other Russian to remain with the HABS. He is also in great shape. (decreasing salary over years in the same ball park as Koivu)

Your thoughts.
Extending Koivu by 3-4 inches would give us that big, tall center we desperately need since ages !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:00 PM
le_sean

I'd wait on Kovalev, we don't know which one shows up next year.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
If the right deal came along during the trade deadline, I would trade Kovalev. And when I say right deal, I mean it. Think along the terms of what Philly got for Forsberg.

If not, then I'd probably sign him for another year. Koivu I would give 2 years.
OK, let me get this straight, we spent the last 10 years rebuilding, painfully, slowly building up a decent team, and now that we are finally starting to see it come to life after so many years, some of you are discussing trading our best player, now that we have a legitimate shot at the Cup within a few years?

Its 1 already, the effects of the booze you drank last night should have worn off by now.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

I'd sign koivu : 2 more years at 3M per
Kovalev : 2 more years at 4.5M per

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Montrealer

I'd extend Koivu, the guy is a warrior.

I'd trade Kovalev if we had the right deal in place now that his value is at it's highest since he's been here. He had a great year but an inconsistent playoffs (which is pretty normal for him), so if we could pull a Selke or Pollock type trade here (i.e. trade the inconsistent veteran for an excellent young player) I'd do it.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
OK, let me get this straight, we spent the last 10 years rebuilding, painfully, slowly building up a decent team, and now that we are finally starting to see it come to life after so many years, some of you are discussing trading our best player, now that we have a legitimate shot at the Cup within a few years?

Its 1 already, the effects of the booze you drank last night should have worn off by now.
The great Habs teams have never hesitated pulling deals to make the team even better. The mediocre ones have hesitated and never reached the Cup. So no, you don't sit on your ass hoping everything will turn out alright.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:04 PM
MayorFord

extend koivu for 2 more years
let kovalev play and reward him with an extention right before the trade deadline, or trade him depending on his performance up til the deadline, simple as that

MayorFord is offline   Reply With Quote