HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next Year's Team?

Old
05-04-2008, 04:30 PM
tronylon

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to tronylon
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
I'm not knocking your lineup, but imo, it gets us nowhere. Unless Dawes/Dubi/Cally all can get like 15-20 goals each. I hope we trade for someone.
Agreed. The 2nd line needs to have more scoring potential. I like Dawes and Cally, but they aren't reliable enough scorers.

tronylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Tyutin played like dog **** the entire playoffs..His play started regressing at the halfway point of the season

Girardi is no longer the shutdown guy we thought, though he is still somewhat reliable

Staal is the only guy we don't have to worry about

Old
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubinsky4Calder08 View Post
Thats hard to do when the cap hit is supposedly 6.8 million.
Well, I didn't make it up... there's a thread about it. You really think Jagr is worth even 6 million next season for us, when we have 3 players making more than that?

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:32 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
Unfortunately, the Penguins looked pretty much unbeatable this series.

Despite the fact that the Rangers are probably the second best team in the East, we could only eek out 1 win.

What's sad is they better get used to it.

Crosby/Malkin/Hossa/Staal/Malone/Fleury?

What is the median age on that group? 23?
There's a cap. Hossa and Malone are probably gone.

But the difference to me was the bottom Pens bottom two lines and blueline thouroughly outplayed the Ranger counterparts.

The Pens looked fresher and faster. They got to every loose puck, kept pucks in the zone and caused chaos in the Ranger zone.

The Rangers need to retool and gain experience with their young guys (6 rookies in the lineup today).

05-04-2008, 04:33 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronylon View Post
Girardi did not play a flawless game.
Girardi's play has taken a SERIOUS step backwards ever since the Rangers started playing him vs. true #1 lines. Girardi has had some major brain cramps this series. If a team offered something decent, I would take it because in reality, I think he is at best a #4 dman. The problem is that we have a team with 5 #4 dmen.

Old
05-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
Unfortunately, the Penguins looked pretty much unbeatable this series.

Despite the fact that the Rangers are probably the second best team in the East, we could only eek out 1 win.

What's sad is they better get used to it.

Crosby/Malkin/Hossa/Staal/Malone/Fleury?

What is the median age on that group? 23?
it will only last for about 2-3 years, they will have the biggest cap problems ever,

my lineup would be if jagr comes back

avery-dubi-jagr
ryder-gomez-drury
dawes/korpikoski-rolston-callahan
shannny-betts-orr

staal-rozsival
tyutin-girardi
mara-orpik/commodore

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Well, I didn't make it up... there's a thread about it. You really think Jagr is worth even 6 million next season for us, when we have 3 players making more than that?
NEver said you did, its just like most of the other stuff around here, BS.

If Jagr comes back for 5 mil or less then re-sign him. If he wants to be greedy then he can gtfo.

It is that simple.

Sign Streit, sign Ryder and hope to got that AA and Korpi can some how make a futile attempt to fill in for Jagrs missed scoring.

Last edited by Gardner McKay: 05-04-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:35 PM
NHLhockey1234

To be honest, we need to push cherepanov to come here. I know he isn't bulked up yet but sticking him right into the AHL and sticking him in our club mid-season is what we need.

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:35 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
with the amount of young players the rangers are playing who are still not making much money (callahan, dawes, prucha, staal, giardi, korpikoski), the rangers have the ability to give out another 6 million dollar contract for the short term...maybe 1 oe 2 years

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:36 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Okay... rambling and thiking aloud here...

The big question is are we going to be able to find a goal scoring winger (Shanny can't be him anymore, maybe Jagr can get back to 30 or mid 30s but he may not even be back), a rugged tough crease clearing leader of a defenseman (Jason Smith style, but these are tough to find and probably expensive) and a Sergei Gonchar style PP QB. The problem with this situation is that we probably can't find all three (where are these players coming from, everybody wants these things) or fit all three under the cap (though maybe without Shanny, Jagr and Roszival we could find a way). On the good side, we have a decent core to our team and in the NHL today every team has a gap or two. If we can plug one or two of the gaps above then we can be a very good team next year. And maybe next year Staal can plug one of these gaps like a vet could, made great progress this year and in the playoffs.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Janerixon

i want avery, straka, jagr, and roszival back
mara i feel is expendable and he is way overpriced

we really need to add some size and speed, dawes i keep and i may try and move prucha
but thats just me

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:37 PM
MMessier11

This is just the start for the Pens, which is the scary thing. To me this could become a Knicks/Bulls scenario. That's why I think a big key in the off season will be to bring in Hossa. It weakens the key obstacle while GREATLY strengthening the Rangers weakness. He proved that he can step up in the playoffs as well.

After that, I lock up a power play QB (going out on a limb, I know) and that's it. Let Straka, Rozsival, and Malik walk, kick Hollweg and Backman's rears to the curb and come back next year strong.

MMessier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:37 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Girardi's play has taken a SERIOUS step backwards ever since the Rangers started playing him vs. true #1 lines. Girardi has had some major brain cramps this series. If a team offered something decent, I would take it because in reality, I think he is at best a #4 dman. The problem is that we have a team with 5 #4 dmen.
Yea, he's a 3-4 Dman, but our D is by commitee, so he's asked to play a bigger role, he's solid, and far from the teams maj. issues.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:38 PM
lundy

Anyone else regret that we didn't make a bigger push for campbell at the deadline? I know we kept our prospects, but locking a guy like that up for a few years would've not only helped in the playoffs, but for a few years down the road. This team has not had a good power-play qb since Leetch...and Poti...at times.

Oh, and Purinton.

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:39 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Well now that were done, and Ive caught my breath (mumbles: ****ing Pens) time to start looking to the future. The most glaring negative in my mind is our powerplay. We very badly need a PP Quarterback. Some people have suggested Sangs, but I just can't see him being ready. As much as a liability as he is in the D-zone, at times, I think Sather has to target Brian Campbell. He is what this PP needs. A true threat from the outside, as well as the ability to rush the puck up the ice and be creative with it. Kind of like a mini leetch in a way, minus the D-Zone coverage obviously. And as much as I am a huge huge fan of Jagr and the effort he showed, it's time for his departure in my mind. Too many players on this team defer to him in wayyy to many situations. The same goes for Straks, our young guys defer to him all too often, as was very evident on the 2-1 with Staal, and him not shooting the puck. On the other side, I am hoping to target Gaborik/Rolston personally. I know Gaborik had an awful playoffs this year, but again he has speed and is creative. Thats where the game is now, SPEED SPEED SPEED, and creativity.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:40 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
hi, i'm a troll
haha seriously...I feel myself earning an infraction, today

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:40 PM
philbo

Good *#(% riddance Rozival!

What a waste of ability, the years playing with Malik made him soft, unreliable in his own zone, to easy to defer to JJ instead of shooting when he had an open lane.

Just go away and earn your inflated salary somewhere else.

Oh btw can you give Hollweg a ride out of town too?

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:41 PM
NYR1724

If Perry Pearn is still around, I could see us snagging Wade Redden. They supposedly had a pretty good relationship in Ottawa. I think we could revive him. A lot of our moves will depend on who we lose in the off-season. Cant really make up our minds until then.

NYR1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:42 PM
ihatenewjersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
if jagr wants to stay...here go some lines

jagr-dubi-straka(if jagr comes back, he will too IMO)
dawes-gomez-callahan
sjostrom-drury-korpikoski
byers-betts-orr

staal-orpik
girardi-tyutin
mara-backman(?)

? = i think potter or baranka could take over that spot
STRAKA SUCKS ****.
**** HIM, HE BETTER NOT WASTE A SPOT ON THIS TEAM NEXT YEAR

ihatenewjersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:42 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbo View Post
Good *#(% riddance Rozival!

What a waste of ability, the years playing with Malik made him soft, unreliable in his own zone, to easy to defer to JJ instead of shooting when he had an open lane.

Just go away and earn your inflated salary somewhere else.

Oh btw can you give Hollweg a ride out of town too?
I couldn't agree more! I'm not opposed to bring Shanny back. He is the defacto Captain. Hollweg, bye bye, hope you can break your lease.

Rosie....F off

Prucha...F off

Strudwick...F off

Straka....don't F off....but sorry, buddy...it's over

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
I have to hear from Jagr before I have a clue what the team looks like next season

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:50 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
with the amount of young players the rangers are playing who are still not making much money (callahan, dawes, prucha, staal, giardi, korpikoski), the rangers have the ability to give out another 6 million dollar contract for the short term...maybe 1 oe 2 years
But players either make you pay on cap hit or term of contract. You think that Jagr is that in love with NY that he's going to give us a discount price and a short term deal, when he can make that money, plus more playing in a weaker league in Russia and be the absolute marquis name in the league? You really think he's going to play here when he gives half the money away in taxes, when he can walk over to any team in Europe and negotiate wherever he wants and name his price?

Old
05-04-2008, 04:53 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenewjersey View Post
STRAKA SUCKS ****.
**** HIM, HE BETTER NOT WASTE A SPOT ON THIS TEAM NEXT YEAR
You are wrong. Straka is probably the most viable veteran option to return next year. Shanny has nothing left, Jagr is financially out of reach. I'm not even getting into the dmen. Straka is versatile, hustles his ass off, plays in all situations, and is a good role model. How you can say this guy sucks is beyond me.

Old
05-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
You are wrong. Straka is probably the most viable veteran option to return next year. Shanny has nothing left, Jagr is financially out of reach. I'm not even getting into the dmen. Straka is versatile, hustles his ass off, plays in all situations, and is a good role model. How you can say this guy sucks is beyond me.
If Straka is signed he will likely play on the first line. Straka on the first line is as bad of a move any team could make.

I'm going to have a hard time watching this team if any one of Shanahan, Straka, and Hollweg are taking shifts next October. I can deal with Rozsival and even Backman.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:56 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykedout66 View Post
On the other side, I am hoping to target Gaborik/Rolston personally. I know Gaborik had an awful playoffs this year, but again he has speed and is creative. Thats where the game is now, SPEED SPEED SPEED, and creativity.
I wouldn't be opposed to making a play for Gaborik, we've overvalued assets in the past and missed out on bigtime talents only to regret it later. He and Gomez together would be something to watch. That being said, I think the Flyers are going to crush the Pens.