HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next Year's Team?

Old
05-04-2008, 08:23 PM
blandBob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
There's a cap. Hossa and Malone are probably gone.

But the difference to me was the bottom Pens bottom two lines and blueline thouroughly outplayed the Ranger counterparts.

The Pens looked fresher and faster. They got to every loose puck, kept pucks in the zone and caused chaos in the Ranger zone.

The Rangers need to retool and gain experience with their young guys (6 rookies in the lineup today).
This just makes me feel better about next year, the way the younger Rangers played today was inspiring. Saw some pretty good energy in game 5, quite a few loose pucks that we got to first. Just not so much by the defence. Bring in the right FA(s) (which implies shedding the right players if we can) and the mix looks better to me.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:28 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
if jagr wants to stay...here go some lines

jagr-dubi-straka(if jagr comes back, he will too IMO)
dawes-gomez-callahan
sjostrom-drury-korpikoski
byers-betts-orr

staal-orpik
girardi-tyutin
mara-backman(?)

? = i think potter or baranka could take over that spot
AVERY?

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:31 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

sign pandolfo, i think he can improve our defensive system, and play on the 3rd-4th line with betts to make a good shutdown line with a chance to score if sjostrom stays on the line

some defenseman to look at could be orpik, or vandermeer or montador

add them to a lineup, call up korpedo and maybe one of our d prospects if sather feels they are ready, if not, 2 dmen come in from ufa

shanny retires, bye bye malik, rozsival see ya

backman and hollweg for late picks? i dont hate backman so much, but losing him could clear up some cap room if they decide to go after a big name, plus, i dont know where exactly he would play anyway, unless they only sign one d man and nobody from the minors is ready

BlairBettsBlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:32 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueMahone View Post
This just makes me feel better about next year, the way the younger Rangers played today was inspiring. Saw some pretty good energy in game 5, quite a few loose pucks that we got to first. Just not so much by the defence. Bring in the right FA(s) (which implies shedding the right players if we can) and the mix looks better to me.
Our bottom two lines will be a lot better in the future.

Just let some of these kids develop.

Hillier is going to be awesome, probably good enough to be a 2nd liner.

Korpedo will be a good third line player.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Lots of good kids in the league

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Xpaco08

I want nothing to do with Ryder or Rolston. Rolston is on the plus side of 30 and Ryder did nothing this season.

Sign or trade for a bruising defensemen, a Brendan Witt type. Campbell and Redden will be to costly for this team to go after. Resign Hutchinson and see what he can do on the point the first couple weeks of the season. He played the point on powerplay for Carolina last season and was good for Hartford. Why not give him a shot until Bobby is ready.

We really need a power forward. We have to many small, fast snipper type prospects. Sign a guy like Malone. 28 years old, 6'4 solid wing. I don't know who else is going to be a UFA this summer but thats what Sather needs to focus on.

Other then that I really think it is going to come down to what other kind of offers guys like Avery, Rozival and Mara receive. I would like to have them all back but if someone offers Rozy something like 4-5mil a season, hes gone.

Xpaco08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:41 PM
NYReign

How much is Cole's cap hit? If we trade Tyutin for him I think we might need to sign 3 UFA defensemen. Still, he is a better power forward than anyone we have.

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:45 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon View Post
I am sick of people blaming the d. they played a strong game. Girardi played flawless. . it was the damn forwards who were invisible today.
I dont know what series you were watching but the defense was awful this series, and in particular Roszival and Girardi stick out the most.

Girardi just didnt make smart decisions. He had a good amount of turnovers, bad positioning, and on that last go I dont have any idea as to why he tried to kick the puck instead of just using his stick?

Roszival was just plain stupid. Bad penalties, another guy who's passing wasnt too sharp, and just wasnt an impact defenseman like he needed to be.

Both of these guys were awful on the PP when it came to getting their shots through. The Penguins point men got their shots through and its not like we have bad PKers because we had some of the best in the game this year. And when Roszival and Girardi werent getting their shots through they were being blocked and the Penguin PKer was going the other way. And even when Rosie was getting his shots through, they werent hitting the net!

I dont what happened but Girardi became too aggressive this season unlike last season where he was a very sound defenseman who never tried to do too much and just played defense.

Staal was our best defenseman bar none. Mara was a close second. The only disappointment that came from Staal was that he didnt shoot on that 2 on 1 in OT.

Rosie has to go and Girardi should be used as trade bait, maybe part of a package for Kovalchuk or something else.

When it comes down to it, the Rangers MUST bringing Jagr back while at the same time bringing a big time forward who is a legit sniper who can put the puck in the net. Because as great as Drury and Gomez were and are for this team, theyre not snipers, theyre playmakers. And of course theyre key components to this team but we still need one more forward like Jagr.

So my lines for next season would be:

Kovalchuk-Dubinsky-Jagr
Straka-Gomez-Malone
Dawes-Drury-Callahan
Korpedo-Betts-Sjostrom

Staal-Orpik
Tyutin-Sangs
Mara-Streit/Baranka/Backman

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:46 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Trading Girardi would be a terrible, terrible move.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:46 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
How much is Cole's cap hit? If we trade Tyutin for him I think we might need to sign 3 UFA defensemen. Still, he is a better power forward than anyone we have.
$4m for 1 more year

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:47 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpaco08 View Post
I want nothing to do with Ryder or Rolston. Rolston is on the plus side of 30 and Ryder did nothing this season.

Sign or trade for a bruising defensemen, a Brendan Witt type. Campbell and Redden will be to costly for this team to go after. Resign Hutchinson and see what he can do on the point the first couple weeks of the season. He played the point on powerplay for Carolina last season and was good for Hartford. Why not give him a shot until Bobby is ready.

We really need a power forward. We have to many small, fast snipper type prospects. Sign a guy like Malone. 28 years old, 6'4 solid wing. I don't know who else is going to be a UFA this summer but thats what Sather needs to focus on.

Other then that I really think it is going to come down to what other kind of offers guys like Avery, Rozival and Mara receive. I would like to have them all back but if someone offers Rozy something like 4-5mil a season, hes gone.
WHO CARES?

He scored 30 last year. 30 the year before that. And 25 the year before that.

Ryder had a bad year, so what.

Next year he WILL score 30 with someone next year. Book it.

With Gomez, he can score 35-40.

Old
05-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Xpaco08

Prucha's a former 30 goal scorer...means nothing, whose to say he will ever regain his form. I don't want the Rangers to be locked into a contract and the guy doesn't produce. We need size on our wings not another sniper. Sign a guy like Malone, he might not score as much as you would like but hes a big body to throw in front of the net

Old
05-04-2008, 08:53 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

trade prucha for a guy with size that plays the wing

there are many takers for pru

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:54 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Trading Girardi would be a terrible, terrible move.
Oh really? I'd really love to know why it would be so terrible. His stock is really high right now, but I think its safe to say he wont develop into a top notch defenseman in this league. He will be a steady Top 4 defenseman. So IMO I dont see whats so terrible about trading him as part of a package for a big time winger and simply replacing him from within or with Orpik/Commodore/Streit/etc

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:56 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Prucha's a former 30 goal scorer...means nothing, whose to say he will ever regain his form. I don't want the Rangers to be locked into a contract and the guy doesn't produce. We need size on our wings not another sniper. Sign a guy like Malone, he might not score as much as you would like but hes a big body to throw in front of the net
Prucha scored 30 ONCE.

Ryder did twice. And 25 in his rookie season.

In his down year, doubled Prucha's down year.

You understand this? Please do not compare the two.

Ryder has elite skill.

He was treated like **** in Montreal, that is why he had a bad year.

With a REAL playmaker in Gomez, Ryder would score his typical 30.

Old
05-04-2008, 08:57 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Lindros was a big body.

Sorry, what this team needs is more speed and skill. Not more slow and lumber.

Old
05-04-2008, 08:57 PM
NYROrtsFan

Don't trade Girardi... He's a Ranger, plus he is a smart defenseman that generally doesn't make mistakes. Plus he's pretty physical as well. You don't trade guys like Girardi.

Same with Tyutin... You just don't trade good, young players who stay healthy. Tyutin certainly had issues, but the bottom line is he's young and will figure stuff out. Guys like Rozy are the guys you can't have bad series from. He's not going to get any better at this point.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:59 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenewjersey View Post
Him playing on the first line getting all the ice time was possibly the worst thing for us. He is a 3-4th line role player with speed, thats about it, and im being grateful. He's an overrated,overpaid piece of **** who is only here to keep jagr trying. He coughs up the puck at the drop of a hat. He cannot play the point on the PP (because his shot is weak). And how many chances did he just miss/waste/screw up in the last two games.... great role model for who? This guy has got to go. And if jagr leaves i hope all the rest of the czech crap goes too.
Well, I guess we disagree. Straka, to me, at least, always looks like he's hustling. When he's blocking shots, getting bones broken, and still trying to block shots, I think that is a good example to be stting for our young players. The guy was worth what he got paid this year, and there are alot of guys you can't say that about. I agree with giving younger guys bigger roles, but you have to have a guy like this who can step up and fill that role if a young guy proves not to be able to handle it, or if a kid who is handling it goes down with an injury. To me, our problem lies more in our 6 defensemen than with Marty Straka.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:00 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
trade prucha for a guy with size that plays the wing

there are many takers for pru
I like Pru. I also think he doesn't seem to fit into our future plans, unfortunately, and is likely to be dealt as part of a package. However, his trade value right now will get you maybe a b level prospect or a minor leaguer. Maybe a 4th round pick if were lucky. We won't be able to get a big guy to play wing for us... unless it is a low potential low skill guy. But definitely not somebody that brings us anything we want.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Xpaco08

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Prucha scored 30 ONCE.

Ryder did twice. And 25 in his rookie season.

In his down year, doubled Prucha's down year.

You understand this? Please do not compare the two.

Ryder has elite skill.

He was treated like **** in Montreal, that is why he had a bad year.

With a REAL playmaker in Gomez, Ryder would score his typical 30.
I understand the two but don't understand why you would want to pay Ryder what hes is going to command. We get pushed around every time we try to put someone in the crease on the powerplay. We have enough snipers. We need to get bigger. Ok we sign ryder and we have the some problem. a powerplay that sets up outside and just shoots the puck with no one around to band in rebounds. We have enough guys on the team already who can play with Gomez.

Why even bring up Lindros? He wasnt the same player when he was with us. Concussions killed that guys. He wouldn't do ne whwere near the net.

Old
05-04-2008, 09:07 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
haha seriously...I feel myself earning an infraction, today
ditto.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Screaming Banshee

Girardi (and most young D-Men) need a mentor. This year there wasn't one. Rosi is no mentor and don't say Strudwick was. The forwards have leaders like Shanny and Jagr but no one on the D. The best thing this team can do is get a true #1 D-Man for these young guys to learn from.

Screaming Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:26 PM
blandBob

Quote:

I hope we don't go for Redden at all, I think he has been way overrated for many years, forget him. I can kind of see why you don't like Ryder, but I judge him differently. He's done some very good things then fell out of favour with the Habs (Carbonneau) but I don't think he could possibly have lost his skills. I would definitely go for Ryder.

Old
05-04-2008, 09:31 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I understand the two but don't understand why you would want to pay Ryder what hes is going to command. We get pushed around every time we try to put someone in the crease on the powerplay. We have enough snipers. We need to get bigger. Ok we sign ryder and we have the some problem. a powerplay that sets up outside and just shoots the puck with no one around to band in rebounds. We have enough guys on the team already who can play with Gomez.

Why even bring up Lindros? He wasnt the same player when he was with us. Concussions killed that guys. He wouldn't do ne whwere near the net.
We do not have the finisher that Gomez needs.

Shanahan is not it, he cannot keep up anymore.

We do not have the finisher in our system either.

Ryder will not cost as much as other guys. No where near Gomez and Drury. No where near Hossa.

4 mil? Is that too much for a 27 year old 30 goal scorer? No, not IMO.

Shanahan was a cap hit of 5.3 mil this year. Ryder can easily match Shanny's numbers with Gomez.

Our PP was our demise this year.

Secondary scoring, hell, scoring period was our demise this year.

Ryder would help resolve those two issues.

Malone will command equal if not more than Ryder, and he WILL NOT produce like Ryder will the remainder of their careers. Guaranteed.

Old
05-04-2008, 09:33 PM
blandBob

First things first, let Rozsival go to another team, but only if we get a good solid seasoned defenceman who just plain hits and shoots from the point. It is simply time for Rozsival to move on, he isn't the worst dman in the league by any stretch so someone will definitely want him. He is what we do not need and someone else thinks they do.